Herb Grinders

vaporist4LIFE

Just took the time to clean my large rasta SCS. Love the grind but cleaning it is a HUGE pain in the ass.
What's your cleaning method ? Haven't touched mine yet for this reason.dont want to fuck it up with solvents or something .
Huh---iso doesn't mess with the magnets or any part of the grinder ? I know pbw does

vaporist4LIFE,

biohacker

What's your cleaning method ? Haven't touched mine yet for this reason.dont want to fuck it up with solvents or something .
Huh---iso doesn't mess with the magnets or any part of the grinder ? I know pbw does

I can't remember exactly, but it was either iso or pbw that fucked up the Ti coating on my SpaceCase! Probably too long of a soak.

biohacker,
Reactions: whatitdew

zor

Eugh, I'm 150+ posts behind in this thread.

My girlfriend got me the Super Weapon 2 for 4/20 as a surprise. At first I enjoyed it since it was a novelty, but there are a few glaring issues:

- the grinder holes are rather large IMO and I've had dense bits of unground bud fall through. This is especially common with weed that isn't totally dry.

- the threading is extremely tight! If I rotate clockwise the upper stage becomes so tightly screwed into the stage with the screen that it is VERY difficult to unscrew. Someone with weak wrists, arthritis, etc will NOT want to use this.

- cleaning the SW2 is the same as every other grinder. Plant matter permeates the threading and gunks it up, thereby making it even more difficult to unscrew.

Overall, after about 3 weeks of daily use, I see no benefit to this grinder over the 4 stage SCS I have.

biohacker

SCS gives the fluffy stuff! I can't stand chunks of hard dense tidbits in my grind....another reason I hated the Lift Innovations, as easy as it was to turn.

I have yet to see a better consistency than the SCS....even my Kannastor (either plates) could not give that even fluffy consistency.

That's with a SCS medium....not sure if the Large would change anything from a grind consistency perspective, but surely easier on my hands.

duff

Well worn
Unfortunately I am experiencing the same issues on my SW2 as @zor. Although I love the missing section of teeth.

Miss the super fluffy and consistent grind from the SCS.

I dip and shake my SCS in pbw for just a few seconds and use the toothbrush. Comes out very clean.

I think even the silver grinders have an anodized coating. Fuck coatings!

Last edited:

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
SCS gives the fluffy stuff!

I have yet to see a better consistency than the SCS....even my Kannastor (either plates) could not give that even fluffy consistency.

I've spent some time pretending to be grinders lately; really empathizing with them. I feel like the reason why SCS produces such fluffy grounds may be because SCS teeth process herbs sorta how an ice scraper processes ice on your windshield. Or how a snow shovel/plow processes snow. The SCS slices herbs very thin, then curls up the thin slices.

Vitolo

Vaporist
I feel like the reason why SCS produces such fluffy grounds may be because SCS teeth process herbs sorta how an ice scraper processes ice on your front windshield
I did a mock-up GIF of the comparison of 3 top vapes at the time.
grind.gif

Note that the SCS has two distinct contact points going against two points, all the way around....

biohacker

I think even the silver grinders have an anodized coating. Fuck coatings!

I actually did notice some sort of aesthetic aberrations on my Kannastor quite rapidly after using ISO to clean, and then noticed there disclaimer of not using ISO on them. Almost like a thin sort of saran wrap over it. Not sure if it's anodizing or some other sort of coating.

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
I did a mock-up GIF of the comparison of 3 top vapes at the time.
grind.gif

Note that the SCS has two distinct contact points going against two points, all the way around....
That's not quite the shape of my current SCS's teeth. It's close, but I suspect the minor differences in tooth shape between the animation and my actual grinder produce much different results. The difference I'm talking about is that the long dimension of each tooth in my grinder is essentially flat on each side. The teeth are basically long rectangles with concave ends; not concave on all four sides.

dAREr36.jpg

gonzorelli777

Vape virgin
My life story!

:D :D

I'm still convinced about the SLX2, it will be my travel grinder. No ISO cleanings in over a year? Crazy!

In other news, I think Space Case are sorting out a verified account here this week hopefully. Their site is now setup with SSL site-wide, and they are promoting a 20% off sale on their Facebook page.
Code: NEWCOLORS

whatitdew

Vapes R Great
Man I Might have to try the "SLX no clean challenge" haha
I gum up every grinder I've tried
I like to grind a full load at a time, fill the chamber and use throughout the day
At least an ounce a month

I've got a 4pce SCS old style (fine screen) basically brand new that I stashed away. Found in a head shop and had to scoop it since they don't make them this way any more. Might look to trade that up or sell as I'm not feeling the large size SCS at all. Medium size all the way in SCS for me.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
IMO it's not worth it, I would go with the plain jane silver myself too, and plan to. I'm not into "coatings" as they seldom last IME.
I'm thinking the exception may be this ceramic coating on the SLX...
I've spent some time pretending to be grinders lately
We should hang out. I like to pretend I'm a vape... :lol:

All we'll need is someone to pretend they are cannabis...

biohacker

I'm thinking the exception may be this ceramic coating on the SLX...

There are documented reports of it being compromised, although I do believe they were actual defects from manufacturing. Regardless, knowing my luck - just like when I purchased a SCS that I was assured wouldn't scratch - it will scratch and flake off.

Coatings actually make grinders more safe, especially inert coatings. Raw aluminum is not healthy.

Meh, I get enough raw aluminum in my diet with the Supreme. What were we talking about again?

If the coating is compromised i'm not interested, if it maintains its integrity, i'm in!

mucsusn

60 going on 20
SCS gives the fluffy stuff! I can't stand chunks of hard dense tidbits in my grind....another reason I hated the Lift Innovations, as easy as it was to turn.

That's with a SCS medium....not sure if the Large would change anything from a grind consistency perspective, but surely easier on my hands.
Love my 4 pic SCS Large! Nice fluffy grind. I use the four piece, starting upside down, and after just a couple of back and forth cuts, turn it right side up to produce a nice med/coarse grind. I've had it about 5 weeks now, before that used my medium Cosmic 4 pic, plus a medium Space Case 2 pic, along with S&B box stuffers. The SCS is first call, everybody else is on the bench. And in 18 months, I've never done more that clean them with one of my S&B brushes.

rodders83

I was tempted to buy a ultrasonic cleaner for my grinder? Should I? And spacecase did not even reply to me about a replacement kief section i chipped the Ti and its too chunky for vaping anyways, and instead of getting another space case 2 part as a "finnisher" i am instead tempted to say bye to the brand and hello santa cruz shredder where are the o-rings on these though?

I do not buy things to not last and not having replacement parts is a cheap trick. I am not sure what to do i will ask one more time but hopefully they answer when i throw them some feedback. But no o-rings would lock me out of the scs.

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
^^^Alcohol won't hurt your grinder.

Straight from Kannastor:
Kannastor Tips:

NO ISO for Kannastor grinders.

NO ISO

If cleaning a grinder with a clear acrylic body or acrylic clear top lid, do not use rubbing alcohol, boil in water or freeze the acrylic jar parts as it may create cracks in the acrylic.

For acrylic parts, either use soap and warm water or other acrylic friendly cleaner.

While ISO is very good at removing residue, it can also be harmful to fragile components of the GR8TR.

For a mild cleaning, soap and warm water will do fine.

If you're looking for a deeper clean, a powdered 420 cleaner is a safe bet as well.

Liquid 420 cleaners are basically just ISO with an abrasive agent, so be careful to get something non-alcohol based!

NO ISO

NO ISO

Top Bottom