Herb Grinders

max

Out to lunch
While it's pretty cool to be able to see how the top and bottom teeth work while grinding, the top teeth are gonna be glued on somehow, and can't provide the same strength as an all CNC grinder, where the teeth are cut from a single piece of aluminum.

max,

colly

Isn't that why most Sharpstone owners see problems with the teeth falling off? I hear it happens frequently, they have a few models with clear tops.

colly,

forlorn1

I have one of the sharpstone clear top models, by the way. i haven't had this issue come up. knock on wood.

forlorn1,

max

Out to lunch
colly said:
Isn't that why most Sharpstone owners see problems with the teeth falling off? I hear it happens frequently, they have a few models with clear tops.
Sharpstone grinders have been made 100% CNC for a while now. That should prevent bent or broken teeth unless you have hands like a vise and are trying to grind some really big stems. Even then, I don't know. Previous problems with the brand were due to the teeth being 'stuck on' instead of being cut from a solid block of aluminum.

forlorn1 said:
I have one of the sharpstone clear top models, by the way. i haven't had this issue come up. knock on wood.
I would think you'd have to be more careful than with a CNC cut grinder. Back off if you feel a lot of resistance and maybe rearrange the herb, or check for a hidden, good sized stem. I know one person who bought one and broke off a tooth right away.

max,

SmokingElectricity

EDIT: read post #2406 to see my revised review of the sharp crusher.

in the end...

the 50mm non aluminum chromium crusher still provides the finest grind out of any 4 piece grinder i have used without the need to turn the grinder upside down. it has more teeth than any grinder of it's size and the smallest holes i've seen on any 4 piece i have ever used [even the 1.2" aerospaced as pictured below.]

dscn0372q.jpg

dscn0374.jpg

SmokingElectricity,

easyjeezy

Hey guys,

I use an MFLB and I need a very fine grind. My 4 piece Space Case and large 2 piece SC were not cutting it. This plastic grinder was actually giving a better grind.

I got the following electric grinder and extra small 2 piece and they both work really well!

If you don't mind the mess and kief gathering this cheap coffee grinder does the job.

Procot Silex Coffee Grinder

If may be a little hard to handle, but this little guy is giving such a great grind that rivals all.

1.75" Extra Small 2 Piece Grinder

easyjeezy,

TerrorTurkey

SmokingElectricity said:
after having the weekend with the sharp crusher, i have to say i cannot recommend it. it would seem they changed the quality of aluminum used in the final product. i have seen other sharp crushers before and it's just not up to par with previous models.

Smoking can you be a little more specific? you got me a little worried. ive been using this sharp crusher for almost a week and its been good so far, my only complaint is the screen is pretty fine and doesnt let much kief through.

TerrorTurkey,

max

Out to lunch
TerrorTurkey said:
SmokingElectricity said:
after having the weekend with the sharp crusher, i have to say i cannot recommend it. it would seem they changed the quality of aluminum used in the final product. i have seen other sharp crushers before and it's just not up to par with previous models.

Smoking can you be a little more specific? you got me a little worried. ive been using this sharp crusher for almost a week and its been good so far, my only complaint is the screen is pretty fine and doesnt let much kief through.
Since they've improved the shape of the teeth (offset the top and bottom edges a little, with curved sides) over the model I bought a while back, I sold my original and just bought one of the new 2.5" models (4 pc. aluminum). Just got it yesterday and haven't had time to try it out yet (except for grinding some paper here at work, which it does well), but the finish is even better than on my old one and it comes with the nicest little kief scaper I've seen. As far as lesser quality aluminum, I don't see it. I'll try it out on some herb tonight, but I'm very pleased with it on first inspection, and if it grinds as well as I expect it to, I'd say it's well worth the additional $2 I had to spend vs. my previous model, and if I were you, I wouldn't be worried in the slightest. I thought my preivous Sharp Crusher was the best buy, price vs. quality, I've seen, and this one seems at least as good.

my only complaint is the screen is pretty fine and doesnt let much kief through
I'd agree with that. My previous model had a coarser screen. My preference is for quantity over quality when it comes to kief collection, so I'm a little disappointed in this aspect. For those who prefer the highest quality kief though, this one will deliver.

max,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Vitolo said:
A while ago I spoke of brushes. I stand by everything I said there, but must retract 1 thing. I spoke of these great brushes. They have changed makers. I got two orders in the past that were good. The last batch I got were inferior in every possible way . The brushes were uneven, and the metal tubes were not crimped. I will have to alter my recommendation to buy this product! :(
Update:
I sent the brushes back to this company for a refund. The Owner of the company sent me 10 brushes as a gift , that he had someone "hand pick" for me. I got the same exact condition brushes, with hairs going in every which direction. I let them know, in an effort to help them not do bad business.
The company has issued a refund. Case closed

Vitolo,

max

Out to lunch
I use a small paint brush (about 1/4" brush width) that I bought in a crafts store. It wasn't cheap ($3-4 I think), but the bristles are more flexible than the brush you get with the MFLB, so it gives me more control in cleaning out the leftover ground bud. It's held up very well too. I've lost no bristles and the end hasn't spread out very much. It's no good for scrubbing/brushing off caked on stuff, but I use a toothbrush for that.

max,

Vitolo

Vaporist
max said:
I use a small paint brush (about 1/4" brush width) that I bought in a crafts store. It wasn't cheap ($3-4 I think), but the bristles are more flexible than the brush you get with the MFLB, so it gives me more control in cleaning out the leftover ground bud. It's held up very well too. I've lost no bristles and the end hasn't spread out very much. It's no good for scrubbing/brushing off caked on stuff, but I use a toothbrush for that.
I like the paint brush, max. You can Google "angled eye shadow brush" and find these for from 2 - 6 dollars
(soft)
brush-ANGLED_EYE_SHADOW_BRUSH.jpg

Vitolo,

SmokingElectricity

TerrorTurkey said:
SmokingElectricity said:

it's a different grade of aluminum than what they used to use. to me the grinder feels much lighter than other CNC aluminum grinders [even the older sharp models] and the aluminum itself is much softer. i have a diamond grind. same size. unfinished aluminum. the diamond grind weighs in at 178.6 grams. the same size [actually the sharp is a fraction taller] sharp crusher weighs in at 125.9 grams.

@TerrorTurkey: i'm not saying the grinder is bad, or a POS, i just would not recommend it to a friend. there are many other options out there that i would recommend. i collect grinders and just giving my thoughts about it and i'm just being really picky. i hope you enjoy your grinder and your myrtlezap, as you should be :ko: :peace:

SmokingElectricity,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Well, no word on my Mix-N-Ball Nano. I ordered from the mixnball site. Was there another source for these? They still seems to be the finest grind of a two-piece available or I would surely buy something else.

Too bad they have a nice little product with atrocious service.

willieR,

SmokingElectricity

willieR said:
Well, no word on my Mix-N-Ball Nano. I ordered from the mixnball site. Was there another source for these? They still seems to be the finest grind of a two-piece available or I would surely buy something else.

Too bad they have a nice little product with atrocious service.

same here. my brother ordered me a 2 piece classic and a 5 piece for christmas and i never received them.

best bet is everybodydoesit.com or ebay.

SmokingElectricity,

Nycdeisel

Hey Smoking, Im looking for a new grinder, not because I need one, because my SC still works fine, I just want to try something new! Something that can get just as fine a grind as what I have now if not more so. a small 2 piece is what I am looking for. what would you recommend? Cosmic? Aerospaced? what?

Nycdeisel,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
max said:
I would think you'd have to be more careful than with a CNC cut grinder. Back off if you feel a lot of resistance and maybe rearrange the herb, or check for a hidden, good sized stem. I know one person who bought one and broke off a tooth right away.

That's exactly what happened to me. I was very disappointed, and it happened the first week I had it. I was able to send it back for a free replacement, but I also bought a Mix n Ball grinder at the exact same time. I received both grinders very quickly, and started using the Mix n Ball immediately. The Sharpstone still sits unused, it's never been used. I guess I'm afraid to try again.

Vicki,

SmokingElectricity

Nycdeisel said:
Hey Smoking, Im looking for a new grinder, not because I need one, because my SC still works fine, I just want to try something new! Something that can get just as fine a grind as what I have now if not more so. a small 2 piece is what I am looking for. what would you recommend? Cosmic? Aerospaced? what?

most people here would recommend the mix n ball classic or nano if you want a finer grind than the SC.

SmokingElectricity,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
SmokingElectricity said:
Nycdeisel said:

most people here would recommend the mix n ball classic or nano if you want a finer grind than the SC.

I have both of those grinders, and they are exceptional, IMO.

Vicki,

SmokingElectricity

i'm more of a 4 piece grinder kind of guy. if you want a good 4 piece to go with your PD/MZ, i would go for the chromium crusher 50mm. out of the two brands of 2 piece grinders i would recommend, you already own one. the other i recommended.

the aerospaced grinders on vapeworld are nice for the price. just stay away from the black anodized versions.

SmokingElectricity,

Nycdeisel

cool, didnt see that before. looks like it can grind pretty fine for such a small grinder without a ton of teeth. I will probably get one soon, but not immediately. I have some other things to take care of first.

Nycdeisel,

forlorn1

max said:

whenever I feel resistance I turn the grinder in the opposite direction and then give it another go. that usually does the trick. thanks for the heads up.

forlorn1,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I received a medium, 4pc. space case as a prize in the 4/20 contest from PuffItUp. In the past, I've always gone the cheap route on ebay for my grinders. I've been happy; but ignorance is bliss. The Space Case is in a whole other league. It's so easy to use that sometimes I have to check and make sure that the herb really got ground up. It is machined so well that it just glides. Just like butter baby.

Thank you Randy and PuffItUp for this wonderful prize. It has opened my eyes to the "real" world of grinders.

momofthegoons,
Top Bottom