Herb Grinders

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
^ I've had the Nano and it's great, but pricey for what it is, and a bit rough in use (scoring of the metal between the halves) IME.

This from 'Everyone does it' is half the price and honestly s better then the Nano IMO- it's got a friction ring and a magnet and delivers EXACTLY the same grind at the end. (it's actually the one I use in my pics above (linked again compared to 4 piece CNC's grind (maybe similar to your current grind, cowguy?)))

Fine and perfect for the MFLB

WatTyler,

CowGuy

max said:
Cowguy, the Cosmic Mini has gotten some good reviews. I haven't tried one, but just from looking at Cosmic pics, I'd have to favor the MixnBall Nano-more teeth (better shape), smaller, and cheaper. Hard to find, but everyonedoesit.com has them. I get the finest grind with it of any hand grinder I've used. You might consider a cheap electric blade coffee grinder for the MF too. You get a finer grind than any 2 pc. can provide.

The MixnBall Nano looks like exactly what I needed, thanks for the help max.

WatTyler said:
^ I've had the Nano and it's great, but pricey for what it is, and a bit rough in use (scoring of the metal between the halves) IME.

This from 'Everyone does it' is half the price and honestly s better then the Nano IMO- it's got a friction ring and a magnet and delivers EXACTLY the same grind at the end. (it's actually the one I use in my pics above (linked again compared to 4 piece CNC's grind (maybe similar to your current grind, cowguy?)))

Fine and perfect for the MFLB

This might even be better for my needs, might just get this or both

CowGuy,

max

Out to lunch
WatTyler said:
I've had the Nano and it's great, but pricey for what it is, and a bit rough in use (scoring of the metal between the halves) IME.
I've bought quite a few Nanos (great gifts) and never had any scoring. Same for other MnB models, and I've used/owned all but the Combat. Actual scoring of the anodized coating would mean a misaligned/defective grinder, and yours would be the first I've heard of. If you mean metal to metal contact betweeen halves at the rim, that's just the lack of an o-ring for quiet grinding. IMO no o-ring is a plus. As for pricey, the Nano is usually sold by the MnB seller on eBay for $10 delivered, same price I'd pay for the Head Chef from EDIT. The MnB site has 'em for $10 too ($6 ea. if you buy 5), but I think you have to add $5.95 for shipping. I'm going to try that Head Chef mini on your recommendation, although I don't like colored grinders. :/

max,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
My scoring was around the 'male' half of the joint, if that makes any sense?, and I assume one the inside of the female portion of the join (although I must confess I can't remember ever looking). It was like the anodising had just worn away and instead of the grey coloured coating, it was bright burnished metal, And looking closely you could see small scores and scratches. I did use it a hell of a lot, and for a couple of years. It's at least 4, prob closer to 5, years ago that I bought it. And lost it maybe 18months ago. So I don't know if their manufacturing/anodising process might have changed since then if my problem experience is uncommon (I say 'problem' - it never really was, I just bore it in mind when replacing it).

The O ring is neither here nor there really from a functionality (output) point of view IMO, but it did seem to feel a bit 'smoother' turning than the Nano without one. But if I had a dodgy anodising this could also account for that in part. The magnet is bit of a better benefit in that you can actually drop the grinder in use and it doesn't fall apart. Not sure how often that scenario would happen empiracally though, and even if it did there's not a lot of bud in there to be lost anyway. But nice to know I can drop it if I want, I suppose...

Regarding the colour- I did pic up a 30mm no-name CNC- it's in my pics next to the 'Head Chef'. Exactly the same production by the looks of things, but without the colouring or logo. Same grind in the end. It was about the same price too, from my LHS.

I think M&B are just a bit more expensive this side of the pond- if I remember right I paid 15 in my LHS for my original Nano II 4-5 years ago...... which was a lot of money back then :lol:

So for me here having tried the non branded versions I can no longer really justify the extra, but in your market without a premium then there's not really that much to differentiate between these 30mm grinders IMO except the o ring and magnet. And that has little bearing on the result anyway.

EDIT- I just had a look at the M&B website and it all came flooding back to me. I did try to order a replacement (plus a load of other grinders) from them after I lost my Nano II. Ended up falling out with the fellow there 'Dan' via email- turns out that massive logo they have at the top of the page saying 'WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING' actually means free shipping in the US only with orders over $80. I obviously didn't pay enough attention in either English or Geography classes at school. And it's still there on the website all this time later.... I'm not sure how they can get away with such misadvertising?
But at the end of the day they have pobably lost my long term custom from that chain of events.

WatTyler,

max

Out to lunch
It takes some heavy scrubbing to even scratch the MnB coating. Sounds like you had a bad one. I grind the hell out of my Nano, to no ill effects. While I like the quieter grinding you get with an o-ring, it's more to mess with when cleaning, and if it gets damaged, lost, worn out, etc., you can't use the grinder anymore since the grinding depth is set for use with the ring. And getting a replacement ring is nearly impossible sometimes. Manufacturers/dealers don't advertise replacement rings at all. It's like they think they're gonna last forever. Magnets are always nice, but I think Mnb left it off on the Nano for better grinding, as well as cost cutting. Their latest 4 pc. Classic has no magnet either though, and to me, that's just cutting costs too much. Even cheap generic grinders that size have magnets.

I think M&B are just a bit more expensive this side of the pond
At current prices, I only like the Double Screen (just because of the versatility), the Nano, and the 2 pc. Classic. And the MegaLeaf is at a good price on eBay. I hope I like the Head Chef. It would be a good option for a tiny model at a good price.

max,

wake n blake

A Weed Nerd
I'm a cosmic case fanboy, now... I'd buy all their sizes if I had the cash... I'd like to get their bigger 2pc and their 4pc... Prices are just minutely cheaper than SC, but the products won me over.

I also want to thanks to everyone posting pics/faqs/thoughts/reviews... You've made grinder purchasing both addicting and simpler ha

wake n blake,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
max said:
Magnets are always nice, but I think Mnb left it off on the Nano for better grinding, as well as cost cutting. Their latest 4 pc. Classic has no magnet either though, and to me, that's just cutting costs too much. Even cheap generic grinders that size have magnets......
I'll add that I think the slight negative of the magnet (on all grinders) is the way a little bit can get squashed between the two halves by the magnet and sometimes a little stuck in the centre cavity. Interesting you should say they left out out for grinding reasons (although I remembers that it still used to get stuck in that centra dead-er area in the Nano)
dscf0334h.jpg

I just engineered this savage example to demonstrate. It's a bit annoying alright, and seems to happen at some time or another with all of my grinders- no matter what design, magnet or not, but ESPECIALLY with the smaller grinders, there is that area in the very centre that doesn't get moved around as much. Just can't be helped. It's quite dependent on the condidtion of the herb though I think.

It's not a problem though, beyond minor irritation. It's easy to pick/push out with a pokey thing/stirrer, or with the mini type grinders I actually just ignore it and get on with life- once there's a critical mass already in there it stops anymore little bits getting in there. :2c:

WatTyler,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
It's a 29mm grinder (<1.2") Not much room to manoevre, but I suppose it could be done with care.

But careful doesn't come naturally to me, and so instead I've worked to come to terms with a little bit of weed sometimes being stuck. :lol:

WatTyler,
WatTyler said:
I'll add that I think the slight negative of the magnet (on all grinders) is the way a little bit can get squashed between the two halves by the magnet and sometimes a little stuck in the centre cavity. Interesting you should say they left out out for grinding reasons (although I remembers that it still used to get stuck in that centra dead-er area in the Nano):

I've always loathed this about grinders as well, and indeed smaller grinders suffer worse. It can make dealing with a scout type grinder a bit of a B.

The "post" side should also be the side with the thicker edges which force the stuff inside around. Look at Wattyler's photo, that side in this design would have a post in the middle and would be the side pictured, with the thicker outside, so that no material inside would be squashed against any surface instead of being ground up.

charliedontsurf,
Are Mixnballs made in the US? From their website I get the impression they are, but can't seem to find where it actually says Made in the USA.

Andre Dawson,

max

Out to lunch
They aren't. They're made in India or China, like most grinders. You pay a premium price for US made grinders. 2 pc. models are reasonably priced, but there's no way I'm going to pay $50 for a 2.25" Mendo Mulcher, when I can get an even finer grind, with the same CNC quality manufacturing, from a $15 Sharp Crusher. Pay the price for US made if you like, but in my experience, if you're shopping for a 4 pc., you don't get extra quality or better grinding for the extra $.

max,

chucku

Charles Urbane
max said:
They aren't. They're made in India or China, like most grinders. You pay a premium price for US made grinders. 2 pc. models are reasonably priced, but there's no way I'm going to pay $50 for a 2.25" Mendo Mulcher, when I can get an even finer grind, with the same CNC quality manufacturing, from a $15 Sharp Crusher. Pay the price for US made if you like, but in my experience, if you're shopping for a 4 pc., you don't get extra quality or better grinding for the extra $.

I thought MnB was made in Israel. At least that would explain their higher pricing.

chucku,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I wish the Mix-n-Ball site was more responsive. I ordered one a month ago. No grinder yet. Sent them an email... no reply. It's cheap enough, but a bit frustrating.

willieR,

max

Out to lunch
The owner is in Israel, but I don't know if he has the grinders made there. It's not known as a 'cheap labor' country. I think he confirmed India to me at one point, but I'm not 100% on that- it was a few years ago, so he could have changed the location since then too. Wherever they're made, he gets exactly what he designs and excellent quality.

I like some of his models -Nano, Clasic 2 pc, and Double Screen (MegaLeaf is really nice but not for $35), but he's a frustrating guy to do business with. Out of stock more often than in, and his email reponse sucks. Right now he only has the Nano and Double Screen, and that's only if the site info is up to date. And it seems to take him a long time to restock.

As for higher pricing, it depends on what you compare to. For me, I can see $50 for the Double Screen, because it's versatile, but the 'easy off' kief tray comes off too easy for some-doesn't bother me. At $120, the Triple Screen is ridiculous. You get very little over the Double (slightly taller and 1 more screen), at over twice the price. I bought the Triple a few yrs. ago when it was $70, and had a $10 off coupon. The new version of the Classic Screen ($30) has no MnB logo and no magnets- a downgrade from the previous version IMO. The MegaLeaf is a good deal on eBay, at $20, as is the Classic 2 pc. at $14 on either site. I like the Nano at $10, and you can get it for $6 ea. if you buy 5. I'm also seeing a newly designed MegaLeaf (in colors) at Grasscity and on Amazon via Vaporstore. Don't see anythiing about this new design on the MnB site, and it's not on Vaporstore's site either. This company continues to remain a mystery. :rolleyes:

max,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I liked the last Mix-n-Ball I had. Product and price are there. Service ain't. Max you should represent his line to fill that void

willieR,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I was a "lovingly break up your bud" guy for an adult lifetime. Then again, I was also a dooby smoker sworn and true. I did alot of vaping, and still liked to tear the herb by hand. My doctor told me to switch to Vaping full time, so, there was more herb to break up.
I liked the 2 piece medium sized SpaceCase. Here I thank vtac, who started this thread, as I follow his advice about pretreatment of my grinders(cleaning).
After that I decided upon pollen separation so I got the 4 piece Medium.
I would not have gotten another, but I placed an order that gave me a choice of a hat and t-shirt or the Spacecase Small "Scout". I knew it would be tiny- the size of a 50 piece. That was my choice. It was adorable. perfectly machined, but so damn small. I did not believe it would collect any pollen.
I put a jellybean sized nugget in it and twisted, and then shuffled it side to side like I do with the bigger one.
The image below was pollen from the tiny bud. Not that much, but for a tiny little gizmo, with hardly any screen surface it was a start. It came with a tiny triangle pollen scraper like the big ones.
Good work for such a tiny Lil' Fellow!
grinder.jpg

Vitolo,

Vitolo

Vaporist
SmokingElectricity said:
just ordered both 56mm sharp crusher and the extra small 4 pcs aerospaced.
anyone own one of these that would care to comment?
Don't own them, but that sure is a good price. (Almost too good!) Vapeworld gives a lifetime warranty too.
Please let us know after you break them in how they look and work up close.

Vitolo,

colly

Hi. I've had this grinder for close to a year now, and it's been great to me. Other than issues that most well-functioning 2 pc. grinders have, it's flawless. For a 12 dollar grinder (5 dollar one is good, too), I recommend it highly. The pineapple emblem is pretty neat, too :p

colly,

Deadhead101

I am the Vapor King--I can do anything
willieR said:
I wish the Mix-n-Ball site was more responsive. I ordered one a month ago. No grinder yet. Sent them an email... no reply. It's cheap enough, but a bit frustrating.
Same with me man. All I ever wanted was a nifty little grinder allowing a super fine grind, and now I'm left with this hassle trying to reach Mr mixnball. What a pain! I ended up ordering another from everyonedoesit. This certainly doesn't mean I'm gonna give up on the other one.

I got a tracking number for my order and for the past two weeks it's read "origin post is preparing shipment". I finally emailed USPS and I'm hoping they can help. When I emailed Mr
Mixnball again last Friday He told me to wait til after the weekend, and now he isn't responding to my
emails.

Deadhead101,

slvelocity

I have a very noob question to ask but...

I'm thinking about buying a mendo mulcher 2 pc but was curious how the material empties out of the grinder. Is there a hole on the bottom half that allows the material to fall out? Or do i need to flip the bottom half and empty it that way?

slvelocity,

schwann

chucku said:
I get comparable results with my 2 pc medium SC.

Sorry I don't believe you. The SC 2 pc medium is terrible compared to the cosmic case. People should stop buying the SC if they really want a fine grind.

schwann,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
slvelocity said:

I'm thinking about buying a mendo mulcher 2 pc but was curious how the material empties out of the grinder. Is there a hole on the bottom half that allows the material to fall out? Or do i need to flip the bottom half and empty it that way?

As with any other 2-piece, the MM has no holes. You just grind and dump.

:peace:

Stu,

max

Out to lunch
slvelocity said:

I hope you're not looking for a really fine grind. The Mendo design is great for cutting through herb, but my 1.5" 2 pc. just spins after the initial cut. The tooth design and layout don't allow the herb to keep getting ground to a finer consistency. I haven't used the larger 2 pc. Mendos, but you'd think the smallest would provide the finest grind.

schwann said:
Sorry I don't believe you. The SC 2 pc medium is terrible compared to the cosmic case. People should stop buying the SC if they really want a fine grind.
You need to word replies like this differently, as in 'I disagree', and 'IMO' people should stop buying the SC. Saying you don't believe someone's statement can easily be read as calling them a liar, and that's a little less friendly than we'd like our members to be.

max,
Top Bottom