Herb Grinders

SmokeTheState

Smokey The State Bear
I am a heavier user, so I plan to use my grinder pretty excessively.
You really sound like a big fan of the MnB and it really does seem like a solid product. I'd rather have less teeth as well.

I might end up with a MnB probably. We'll see when the mendo mulcher gets here, I won't put any herbs in it right away.

edit:
Which has better holes in it for grinder herb to fall through? Or does that part mostly perform the same on both?

SmokeTheState,

max

Out to lunch
SmokeTheState said:
I am a heavier user, so I plan to use my grinder pretty excessively.
You really sound like a big fan of the MnB and it really does seem like a solid product. I'd rather have less teeth as well.

I might end up with a MnB probably. We'll see when the mendo mulcher gets here, I won't put any herbs in it right away.

edit:
Which has better holes in it for grinder herb to fall through? Or does that part mostly perform the same on both?
Yeah, I went on a grinder crusade/spree because I saw so many posts on forums about various brands, and couldn't sort out the truth from the BS. One person loves brand x, and the next says it's crap-people saying the only brand worth buying is the Space Case, etc. So I've bought and used about 10 different grinder brands, from cheap generic to SC. I've had nothing break and have seen no shiny bits in any ground herb. The only reject I had was a TrueBlendz that was machined so badly that the top teeth took the black coating off the bottom of the lower grinding section with the 1st empty spin I gave it-talk about zero quality control. :rolleyes: And they charged me a restocking fee to take it back, even though I hadn't used it at all. :/

Although I do prefer the mixnball brand-from the tooth design to the anodized coating to the versatility of the screen grinders, I also keep using some of the generic grinders, as well as Aerospace and aluminum CNC Chromium Crusher. What they all have in common is the 'fewer teeth' design. Too many teeth (Mendo, Space Case, original steel/nickel Crusher) forces you to either break up the herb in really small pieces to load, or to crush the pieces between the two grinder sections before you can close and grind. Crushing can end up popping out pieces of herb all over, before you can get it shut. A lot of tightly packed teeth also makes cleaning a bigger chore.

The standard size hole is 5mm. MixnBall is slightly smaller (maybe 4.5mm) but it's not a noticeable difference. I have a couple of small (1.5-1.75") generic ones with 3mm holes, but I think a larger grinder makes more sense. Just turn it over and keep the herb in the grinding section longer for a finer grind. I also sometimes re-grind with a two piece. I grind for the PD, where a finer grind works better. It's not as big a deal if you're grinding for a larger bowl.

BTW, Vaporstore is already sold out of the Double Screens. They had stock for a few days-maybe. The mixnball site only shows the Classic and Classic Screen in stock, and I don't believe that. The Mendo should do a fine job if you can deal with all the teeth. This is an area where I don't believe that more = better, but it's just personal preference.

max,

SmokeTheState

Smokey The State Bear
Max, your write ups have been very helpful in my decision thus far.

I bought a grinder so I wouldn't have to waste all those trichomes being broken up in my hands, so it makes sense to get one with less teeth.

Vaporstore took down the stock as soon as I bought one. I recieved an email telling me they were out, but they did have a slightly used show model for 40 bones.

Too bad that MnB is so crazy with their restocking, and response. But I think I can overlook that and just grab the last of that grinder I can, especially for that killllller price.

What do you think?

SmokeTheState,

max

Out to lunch
Vaporstore took down the stock as soon as I bought one. I recieved an email telling me they were out, but they did have a slightly used show model for 40 bones.
Are you saying you got/can get a Double Screen for $40? If so, that's a great buy. Slightly used? So what? If you haven't bought it yet you should see if they'll take the 'vapormovement' coupon. That'll save you another 4 bucks.

max,

SmokeTheState

Smokey The State Bear
max said:
Are you saying you got/can get a Double Screen for $40? If so, that's a great buy. Slightly used? So what? If you haven't bought it yet you should see if they'll take the 'vapormovement' coupon. That'll save you another 4 bucks.
They didn't. Sadly discounts don't stack, but 40 dollars and a little shipping is nothing. I jumped on it a few minutes before posting this.

Talk about a steal, yeah?

SmokeTheState,

max

Out to lunch
Talk about a steal, yeah?
To me, a steal is a 2", 4 pc. all CNC grinder for $11 delivered (got a good eBay pick up ;) ), but yeah, $40 is an excellent price for a MB Double (with shipping, it would run you a little over $60 normally-from any source). When I bought my Triple Screen, the price was $70, included a pollen press at the time, and I had a $10 off coupon. He's raised the Triple price to $85, and as much I like the brand, I wouldn't pay that. I was curious about 3 screens, but having used both the Triple and the Double Screens now, the Double is all you need IMO, if you like the MB removeable screens and easy off kief section. It's only slightly shorter than the triple, and the same diameter.

You did good to even find a MB screen grinder in stock, and did great to get one for that price. :tup:

max,

SmokeTheState

Smokey The State Bear
So, I was going to return the Mendo Mulcher, but the MnB got here lightning fast so I decided to compare the two.
I am glad I did.
IMG00059-20100123-1458.jpg

About the same size.
The MnB is slightly used, still smells sweet :brow:

Anyways, The mendo mulcher stays together quite well, and as mentioned earlier the MnB has magnet catches. For the most part they are okay, but the bottom magnet holding the kief plate is not strong enough.

I have the feeling under normal circumstances it would be, but in my case it is not.
The magnetic catches that would hold the top screen are missing.
IMG00062-20100123-1505.jpg

Since they are missing, the bottom kief plate is supporting twice the weight it was designed to, if that makes sense.
Under normal circumstances one screen would be magnetized to the top, and the bottom screen held on to the bottom plate with gravity, with the plate holding it all together.
That is what I gather at least.

Normally I go very easy on my hobby goods, but the level of delicacy this particular MnB is demanding is more than I can offer.

IMG00060-20100123-1501.jpg

The tooth design as stated earlier, seems much better on the MnB, but alas, the mendo mulcher is built for stability and simplicity.
IMG00061-20100123-1502.jpg

My other problem with the MnB is the way the screens sit due to my lack of magnets, it creates a big gap in between the screen and collection area, making it harder to get all of my grinded up goodies.

Anyways, that was a quick overview of my experiences, obviously yours may vary, as I seemed to get a faulty product.

Big thumbs up to vaporstore for providing such up front customer service and amazing shipping thus far.

SmokeTheState,

max

Out to lunch
the bottom magnet holding the kief plate is not strong enough
There are two (or should be) and I warned you that a lot of people didn't like the 'easy off' bottom. They're strong enough to stand up to shaking the grinder or even a slight tug on the bottom. But if you give the bottom a knock, or don't hold it properly in your hand when grinding, it will come off.

The magnetic catches that would hold the top screen are missing.
This really surprises me. I've handled quite a few MnB screen grinders and have used my Triple Screen a lot. These magnets are installed as if they're welded into place, and it's hard to believe that one, let alone two, came out on their own. I'm also surprised that Vaporstore even sold the grinder in this condition. It's defective, and the first MnB defect I've heard of.

Since a screen sitting in the kief tray with the magnet side up leaves hardly any area for kief collection, I'd turn it upside down. Under ordinary circumstances I'd return the grinder to Vaporstore or MixnBall for replacement, but the dealer obviously doesn't have any. I'm pretty certain the company doesn't have any stock either, and there's an excellent chance he doesn't have a replacement section (with the magnets) he can send you either.

I have what MnB calls the 'threads upgrade'. It was designed for those who don't like the easy off kief section. It goes between the kief and screen sections and both secures the kief section, and allows more area for collection. I don't like it, since the kief section is fine, as is, for me, and once you install the the connection piece, I don't think you can get it off without a lot of trouble (and possible damage to it). But in your case, all things considered, it may be a good solution. If you want it send me a forum email. It's going to waste in my possession, and I'll sell it for the $5 price he charges.

Your Mendo doesn't look like it's as loaded with teeth as the one I had (88 total I think), but that one was a 3" model. If the Mendo is a true 2.25" (most grinders are slightly smaller than advertised), it should be about .25" smaller than the MB.

max,

Konrad_Zuse

I'm thinking about getting a 4pt space case, does anyone recommend it or think it's not worth it? They are like 100$ grinders, with a discount probably like 75-80. I hear they have a lifetime warranty too, so I mean having a 100$ grinder for life doesn't seem too bad :).

Konrad_Zuse,

the electrician

if you ask me which noone in their right mind would, a grinder is a grinder. if mine doesnt grind it fine enough, then ill hold it upside (so the weed doesnt fall trough, kif catcher removed if theres owt in there) and grind it into oblivion. maybe a space case will do it quicker and require less effort, but fucking hell im not that lazy. maybe the scceen is finer or better some how, but then if that bothers you id recommend a proper dry sift box or whatever

the electrician,

Konrad_Zuse

the electrician said:
if you ask me which noone in their right mind would, a grinder is a grinder. if mine doesnt grind it fine enough, then ill hold it upside (so the weed doesnt fall trough, kif catcher removed if theres owt in there) and grind it into oblivion. maybe a space case will do it quicker and require less effort, but fucking hell im not that lazy. maybe the scceen is finer or better some how, but then if that bothers you id recommend a proper dry sift box or whatever
Yeah but remember a lot of grinders chip and teeth break and junk. If this happen then you need to buy more and more. They seem reliable and the lifetime warranty is really good. I just don't know many other brands that do it, but there are cheaper ones. I know there are 60$ grinders that are good also. I just don't want to have to replace grinders every year from wearing it out.

Konrad_Zuse,

max

Out to lunch
I've posted my opinion on the Space Case before. It's perfectly machined, unlike any other brand I've examined, but functionally, a cheap grinder will do as well. As for the lifetime warranty, it's difficult to find the manufacturer (vtac found it, but it wasn't easy- http://www.spacecasecutlery.com/index.html ). You get no address with the grinder, for a return, in case you have a problem. So if you have a problem, you have to contact the seller, for the most part, and what if the seller stops selling and takes down his site? It would be frustrating for the average person to track down the SC maker, as vtac did. OTOH, I wouldn't worry about warranty with the SC. It's just not going to fail with normal use.

Konrad_Zuse said:
They are like 100$ grinders, with a discount probably like 75-80.
Do you need the 3.5" size? The small 4 pc. (2") will do just as good a job and is $69 before FC discount.

the electrician said:
maybe a space case will do it quicker and require less effort
Certainly not to the point where it's worth the price difference. You can get a CNC Chromium Crusher for $20, with the same aircraft grade aluminum (not the steel/nickel orginal), and for $5 more, get a lifetime guarantee.

Konrad_Zuse said:
Yeah but remember a lot of grinders chip and teeth break and junk.
Really? You've seen this on a "lot of grinders"? I've bought and used even $10 grinders with no problems. Can you buy cheap grinders that are poorly made? Can you break a tooth in a non-CNC grinder? Sure. But if you stick with the ones that have been recommended in this thread and use common sense when you use 'em (don't try to grind big stems), I don't think you'll go wrong. The reason I've bought a dozen different grinders over the years is because I was really curious about build quality and all these stories about metal shavings, and bent and broken teeth. I've never had any of these issues with any grinder. The only bad one I've had was a TrueBlendz that never should have left the factory. The defect would have been obvious with any QC at all.

I think other premium priced grinders, like Mendo and Cosmic, are overpriced too. I've bought those as well. I'm willing to pay a premium for MixnBall, but only for the organic anodized coating and the unique design. And even then, the new $85 price for the Triple Screen is too high for me, as is $40 for the two piece MegaLeaf. The Classic 2 and 4 pc. are the good buys with MnB, and the Double Screen if you really like the versatile design. Of course right now none of the MBs are available, anywhere. I think the 2.25" 4 pc. Mendo, at $45 delivered, is as much as I'd pay for a premium grinder. And I can't even justify that for the functionality, just the brand name.

You can't go wrong with a Space Case, but you can say the same about a Volcano. And in both cases, you don't need to spend that much, IMO. At least our Recommended Resellers thread, with SC dealers giving nice discounts, make the brand more affordable. Our SC dealers already have the best prices you can get, and the FC member discount codes make it even better. But don't claim that you have to get a SC (or any high priced brand)to get a good, reliable grinder. It's just not true.

max,

max

Out to lunch
the electrician said:
yea so exactly what i said but ten times longer
How can it be exactly what you said and be ten times longer? :/ It's called additional info. I venture to say that for people new to the forum, who haven't read this long thread, my post is more informative than yours.

max,

the electrician

i was being a prick basically. however you did agree with me which will give the same end result: the guy wont get a space case. obviously though education is very important so the extra detail is very much warranted. however, most people in the world (and vapour community) cannot be fucked with wading through infinite paragraphs, and unfortunately theyre not very interested in better educatng themselves if it requires any effort. im just catering to those who can no longer be fucked

if we want to get technical its very easy to turn one sentence into ten or however many, thats how people get through their degree courses

the electrician,

Konrad_Zuse

Thanks for the posts, much appreciated, and not trying to argue, I'm trying to find the best grinder. I haven't seen a lot of teeth chip, but I've heard of it. My friend has a "Space Crusher" but I never have seen it. It looks like a space case, but like a bootleg one. Chromium crusher seems to be a good one, is that what you recommended?

Thanks for the help :).

I mean the grinder I have right now is a 15$ grinder I got for free. I want to hear your opinion in this. I think I'm going to buy a iolite from greatfulbuys.com. WIth that I get a fre 2 pc space case, but the coupon for the iolite for 200 says it's comes with it free with that coupon, now is it the one that was originally free the 2 pt Or do we get to pick another one? I honestly think that will be fine, and I can throw the herb into my 4pt that came free with my extreme :). That way I wont have to spend the money on a huge one, but I would have liked a nice one.

Any thoughts? :)?

Konrad_Zuse,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
the electrician said:
i was being a prick basically. however you did agree with me which will give the same end result: the guy wont get a space case. obviously though education is very important so the extra detail is very much warranted. however, most people in the world (and vapour community) cannot be fucked with wading through infinite paragraphs, and unfortunately theyre not very interested in better educatng themselves if it requires any effort. im just catering to those who can no longer be fucked

if we want to get technical its very easy to turn one sentence into ten or however many, thats how people get through their degree courses
Are you seriously arguing against articulate and informative posts by knowledgeable people? Sure there are some people who won't be able to read this far into this sentence but those aren't the types we typically cater to. You're looking for Ask FC. Kidding!

max, you should see someone about your grinder problem. I'm serious. No one spends a grand on herb grinders. Seek help. :2c:

edit: Space case 4pc ti fit and finish pics..

vtac,

Konrad_Zuse

I usually read everything, or most everything, because I want to learn and see what people's opinions are and everything :). I'm still a noobie to this thing, so reading up has helped me a lot, the grinder is the same deal I wanted to see what people had to say about it, because I wanted to see what people liked :).

Konrad_Zuse,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I bought a 4-piece Chromium Crusher, but I find I use a dedicated $10 coffee grinder to grind my stash, and, if I want to harvest kief, I put the ground-up stash in the Crusher with a couple of quarters, and shake and tap the Chromium Crusher on a counter.

I find, for me, the Chromium Crusher leaves too large of particles. Or, said another way, I prefer a smaller grind. YMMV.

macbill,

Persona Non Grata

turn on, tune in, hulk out
I bought a 3'' 4 pc mendo mulcher on ebay for 50$ or so. been using it for a few months, couldn't be happier. works perfectly. much better than my sharpstone

I have a coffee grinder too, it works but I don't use it much anymore. it is nice to use to powder up some pressed hash or bubble for vaping.

Persona Non Grata,

max

Out to lunch
vtac said:
max, you should see someone about your grinder problem. I'm serious. No one spends a grand on herb grinders. Seek help.
I refuse to ackowledge that I have a problem. I just keep these things from my wife in order to avoid her arranging an intervention. ;) And not 1k, less than half that. The majority of my buys have been cheap ones. Resold some too, especially the pricier ones.

macbill said:
I find, for me, the Chromium Crusher leaves too large of particles. Or, said another way, I prefer a smaller grind.
The aluminum version does have large holes, but the original seems to be a direct copy of the SC, as far as teeth and holes. I haven't found a lot of difference in the grind consistency between grinders, except for the ones with 3mm holes (and those are such tiny grinders, 1.75" or smaller). Even 3mm holes are too big for a good PD grind IMO.

The electric grinders probably do a great job, but I can't get into those. I'm a hard core hand grinder.

max,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
LMAO!! And we needed someone like Max to test out all those different grinders for the greater good :D

I bought one off his recommendation ,CNC'd from the ebay seller Kelly's?something and it's served me very well thus far.

I also got a freebie Trublenz that SUCKED! The black/blue color kept bleeding even after repeated cleanings and scrubbings... Never even grinded in it!

Lo,

SmokeTheState

Smokey The State Bear
Been using my mendo mulcher for a bit now.
I love it!

edit:
15bf2abd-8f47-4beb-b71b-c396836580f.jpg

What I picked up with a half gram or so of Afwreck. Granted it got a little dry while I was in the desert, so it shook loose faster, but still.

SmokeTheState,
Top Bottom