Herb Grinders

max

Out to lunch
I've got one of these-a 56mm (2.2") - under $16 delivered, after FC discount. Can't beat it for the money. Same size Chromium Crusher is $20.

Fit an finish wasn't 100%
No grinder I've seen is, except for the Space Case, and you pay a lot for that perfect machining, with no better results.

max,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
max said:
I've got one of these-a 56mm (2.2") - under $16 delivered, after FC discount. Can't beat it for the money. Same size Chromium Crusher is $20.

Fit an finish wasn't 100%
No grinder I've seen is, except for the Space Case, and you pay a lot for that perfect machining, with no better results.
100% agreed with Max. My Space Case is super, super nice as far as the fit and finish go, but at the end of the day, grinds as good as any other grinder I've owned.

stonemonkey55,

Derf

thanks guys for the compliments. I had a tough time trying to decide on a grinder based on info I scoured the web for. I found one website that claimed to list the "top 5 grinders" - all were some type of "named" grinder, but they didn't really give pros and cons or reasons why #1 was the best. I wish more people would post detailed photos to help the rest of us out with decision making. I don't have a local head shop with lots of toys to play with before I buy, and I feel my generation grew up on the internet with internet reviews and internet shopping. Even though it is only $20, I'd rather go in as informed as possible.

That said, I have nothing against the other $20 grinders, or the nicer grinders. I think that generally with more money comes a nicer product, and something to be proud of, and like I said - I almost plunked down for a medium titanium SC... but after a little thought I realized that having is not always as great as wanting, and at the end of the day they all pretty much work about the same. So I chose to go with the economy route and get something with high value, instead of high quality. So far I haven't looked back, but if I change my mind at least it isn't an expensive lesson to learn.

I'd love to see anyone challenge my review with one of their own for a grinder or other product. I took these photos under fluorescent lighting on my kitchen counter with my cell phone.

Derf,

max

Out to lunch
Derf said:
So I chose to go with the economy route and get something with high value, instead of high quality.
In this case, I think you get high quality as well, at least from a functional and reliability standpoint. Same with the Chromium Crusher brand IMO.

I took these photos under fluorescent lighting on my kitchen counter with my cell phone.
Good pics for a cell phone. Thanks for a thorough review. :tup:

max,

obelisk

Idiot (no relation to the Savants)
Anybody know the difference between the Kelly CNC'd grinders and his regular ones (like the one that Beezleb bought with that awesome pollen press)? I'm thinking of getting me one and am wondering if the CNC one is worth the price. From what I read, it seems Max has both and from what I understood from his post it seems they are both pretty much the same/similar quality.

Max: would that be correct or did I misunderstand? Also, if you could tell me your preference between a Kelly's and a Chromium, I'd appreciate it very much. I have a WDZ so am definitely concerned about getting a fine grain. I currently use scissors and am able to get a very good consistency (I buy a zip at a time and, like an idiot, never really pay attention to how I store it so my bud is always very dry)-- the only problem is that I end up using my fingers quite a bit and I'm sure I'm losing some valuable trichs (my fingers are always very sticky after I'm done chopping up my herb). The only reason I need a grinder is to maybe save those trichs, I definitely don't need a grinder to grind my herb fine. Should I even be looking at a grinder?

I cannot believe I just read 45 pages of this thread just to research a grinder btw! Very good info here though, thank you.

obelisk,

max

Out to lunch
I have an all CNC from KGP, but only because I ordered one of his cheap ones (2.5") and the one I received wasn't the size I ordered. He graciously replaced the $15 grinder I ordered with a $40 all CNC model, at no extra charge. I like it and use it quite a bit. However, both the Chromium Crusher and AeroSpace (Vapeworld.com) grinders, of the same size, are half the price. The CC is $20 delivered from eBay seller 'save$4you', and the Aero, with FC discount, is about $18.50. The CNC Crusher has the largest holes, but really, they all grind to about the same consistency. For a fine grind, just turn it upside down and do a little extra turning. You'll get a finer grind and then you can turn it up and screen the kief. If you never want to screen kief, a cheap 2 pc. from KGP for about $10 delivered will do fine. The best deal, IMO, is the 2" 4 pc. logo model from vapeworld- http://www.vapeworld.com/herb-grinders/aerospace/pollen-grinders/vape-world-logo-grinder-sifter - $14 w/discount. You can't beat it. I do think the fit and finish on the Crusher (threads mainly) is a little better, but it makes no difference in performance.

max,

obelisk

Thanks a lot, Max. I am still deciding what to get. I am not sure if I should go for something with a kief catcher or not-- someone asked about the benefits of segregating kief from herb in this thread when I read it first, but for the life of me I cannot find it anymore (need to skim through the entire thread now, again!).

For others interested in the KGP grinders: please note that there is a lot of info in this thread already (start reading from page 4 or 5 onward)-- I must have not remembered all that info by the time I reached the 45th page though!

I will definitely be picking a grinder up from KGP since I have other stuff I want to pick up from him. Will comment once I make my purchase and start using the grinder.

obelisk,

steiner666

Serial vapist
obelisk said:
Thanks a lot, Max. I am still deciding what to get. I am not sure if I should go for something with a kief catcher or not-- someone asked about the benefits of segregating kief from herb in this thread when I read it first, but for the life of me I cannot find it anymore (need to skim through the entire thread now, again!).
I have like 4 grinders, some 2 piece, some 3, one 4, and I think my preference overall is just a nice simple 2 piece.

The reason i dont like 4 piece grinders is that sometimes you want to grind the stuff up finer, and it falls through the holes to the collection area w/ the screen before it gets small enough. You can turn your grinder upside-down to combat this, but i've found thatbits of herb get in between around the top of the grinder (the lid part that you twist) and, after so long of doing this, you can accumulate quite the build-up between the metal which will eventually cause it to seize up and get stuck while you're grinding. Gets to be a bother to clean this out

So, 3 piece WOULD be my ideal choice, but the 3 piece grinder I have has a bit of an issue. The collection chamber that the 4 pieces have is gone, and the kief screen is right below the holes in the bottom teeth part of the grinder. In my experience, herb gets stuck down in the holes between the metal and the screen. One day i decided to pull the screen out and found tons kief in there. Basically, the kief doesnt really go through the screen as well as in a 4 piece.

The basic 2 piece grinder is my favorite because it has none of these issues, i can just grind and grind until its as fine as i want, dump it out and give each side a good tap and it's clear. I can grind stuff to powder for my LB and just to small bits for my DBV. The LB has a screen so fine that kief and bud can be dumped in and no kief is sucked through, with DBV it does get sucked through some because the screen isn't as fine, but (hopefully) most of it is getting stuck along the sides of the wand, so it just gets added into the wandhash that i love so much, so not really anything wasted.

BUT, yes, i do like to collect kief. Because when i harvest that wandhash, i like to put it in my kief collector part of my 4 piece grinder and shake it about and get some kiefy wandhash balls to vape in my DBV :brow::ko::o

So what i do now days is grind up my bags in my big 4 piece and then take pinches out of the collection area of it and either vape it in my DBV like it is or put it in the smaller 2 piece and grind it up finer if i'm going to use my LB. Usually, after i vape the bigger bits from the 4 piece in my DBV for a while I dump the bowl in the 2 piece and grind it up finer and get like 3-5 more hits out if it.

steiner666,

Bushido

For those of you who use coffee grinders, how do you recover your keif?

Edit: Oh, and what kind of grinder do you use? (in regards to the blade)

Bushido,

SimonC

Nothing useful to add, as I truly dislike using a coffee grinder. I find that it consistently reduces potency, perhaps due to the heat in the blade. FWIW, the one I have collects kief in its plastic lid.

I replied, because I can tell you a bit about the pic in your avatar. It was supposed to represent a gargantuan C99 harvest, originally posted back on OG. All is not what it seems. If you look at the pic very closely, of course on a bigger scale, you'll see small white gaps between the product. The same white material as what's seen on the floor. The individual who took the shot draped the white material over something and then layered the product on top, as to make the harvest seem much bigger than it actually was.

Simon

SimonC,

obelisk

Guys,

Just wanted to note, I made an offer for one of Dave's mendo mulchers on ebay (2.25" with screen- the original buy it now price was 39.99, the lowest offer he accepted was 35.00. With 5 bucks shipping, that is 40 bucks in total-- you can get this same grinder from his website for 50 dollars and free shipping-- so, 10 bucks more).

Now, I know a lot of folks had issues with his service but I thought I'd give him a shot since I was getting an excellently made grinder for a reasonably acceptable price (the way I figure is if I luck out with this grinder, I won't have to pick another one up for some time-- 40 bucks vs 80 for a Cosmic seemed like the price difference was worth a shot for me)

Well, my first problem with him as already occurred, but thankfully before I have actually paid for the item: I made the offer on ebay, it was accepted and I went on to the checkout process with Paypal. I get a message saying "The seller cannot receive payments through PayPal at this time. Please contact the seller for other payment options."

Anyway, I wrote him an e-mail. I am expecting this to be a minor hiccup that should be cleared up immediately. However, if I cannot resolve the payment thing today, I am going to tell him to fuck off, do whatever is necessary so ebay does not hold me responsible for payment and then pick up a Chromium for 20 bucks. It's probably 8:30 in the morning in CA so the guy is probably just waking up and shaking last night's high out of his hair, so let's give him some time and see what happens. :/

PS: Steiner, thank you very much for your post, very informative and helpful! I have a feeling after I waste all this money and try a few grinders out, I will be resorting to a 2 pc as well. I am partial to simplicity but at the moment, since all these MJ tools and accessories are new to me even though I've been partaking since a very long time ago, I cannot help but try whatever 'fancy' things I can afford. A tool to break your herb for you-- who wlda thunk :ko:

obelisk,

SimonC

I have a bunch of grinders: 2-piece/4-piece from Cosmic, Mixn'Ball, Space Case, One Drop, and some others. It's too bad about folks' Mixn'Ball experiences, as I feel it's the better designed product. The older Cosmics (I have 4) are also very good. The SC Large 2-piece is the worst of the bunch on the basis of grind quality and ease of use when filled to +50% capacity.

Simon

SimonC,

obelisk

SimonC said:
I have a bunch of grinders: 2-piece/4-piece from Cosmic, Mixn'Ball, Space Case, One Drop, and some others. It's too bad about folks' Mixn'Ball experiences, as I feel it's the better designed product. The older Cosmics (I have 4) are also very good. The SC Large 2-piece is the worst of the bunch on the basis of grind quality and ease of use when filled to +50% capacity.

Simon
Thanks, Simon, that was very helpful. I, too, thought very hard about the mixnball, but other folks' experiences with the seller made it very unattractive a choice.

Question: How does one differentiate between an older Cosmic (as you specifically mention) vs a newer one and what are the differences between them?

obelisk,

SimonC

tokinn3609cosmicgrinder001.jpg

cos-4-pc-med_L.jpg

obelisk said:
Question: How does one differentiate between an older Cosmic (as you specifically mention) vs a newer one and what are the differences between them?
The newer Cosmics look a little different with the black "dot" on their lids. Functionally, they may be the same as the older units. Never having tried a newer Cosmic, I can't be sure of that, so I can't really recommend one to others.

Simon

SimonC,

obelisk

^^ Thank you! I was wondering about that. There are Cosmics available with and without that dot/sticker, I was wondering if the ones w/o were knockoffs, so your post is very helpful, thanks!

obelisk,

smoking Joe

obelisk said:
Guys,

Just wanted to note, I made an offer for one of Dave's mendo mulchers on ebay (2.25" with screen- the original buy it now price was 39.99, the lowest offer he accepted was 35.00. With 5 bucks shipping, that is 40 bucks in total-- you can get this same grinder from his website for 50 dollars and free shipping-- so, 10 bucks more).

Now, I know a lot of folks had issues with his service but I thought I'd give him a shot since I was getting an excellently made grinder for a reasonably acceptable price (the way I figure is if I luck out with this grinder, I won't have to pick another one up for some time-- 40 bucks vs 80 for a Cosmic seemed like the price difference was worth a shot for me)

Well, my first problem with him as already occurred, but thankfully before I have actually paid for the item: I made the offer on ebay, it was accepted and I went on to the checkout process with Paypal. I get a message saying "The seller cannot receive payments through PayPal at this time. Please contact the seller for other payment options."

Anyway, I wrote him an e-mail. I am expecting this to be a minor hiccup that should be cleared up immediately. However, if I cannot resolve the payment thing today, I am going to tell him to fuck off, do whatever is necessary so ebay does not hold me responsible for payment and then pick up a Chromium for 20 bucks. It's probably 8:30 in the morning in CA so the guy is probably just waking up and shaking last night's high out of his hair, so let's give him some time and see what happens. :/

PS: Steiner, thank you very much for your post, very informative and helpful! I have a feeling after I waste all this money and try a few grinders out, I will be resorting to a 2 pc as well. I am partial to simplicity but at the moment, since all these MJ tools and accessories are new to me even though I've been partaking since a very long time ago, I cannot help but try whatever 'fancy' things I can afford. A tool to break your herb for you-- who wlda thunk :ko:
Same thing happen to me today as well. I offered 35 and was rejected. 36 was accepted and was unable to pay with pay pal same problem and no answer to my email.

smoking Joe,

obelisk

^^ Joe, I have tried calling the guy as well, to no avail. I informed e-bay earlier this evening that I am unable to pay. They were actually pretty unhelpful and asked me to contact the seller again. If I don't hear from the guy in a day or two, I am gonna take this to the resolution center or whatever it is called and pick up something else. Very annoying though, this whole thing.

If you want, you should let e-bay know as well that you have no way to pay the dude so the fact that you bid for this item and won but haven't paid yet is not your fault.

BTW, the following is the number I have for the mendo dude: 707-459-1206 (I got this off the mendo mulchers website, so it shldn't be a biggie posting it here..)

obelisk,

smoking Joe

obelisk said:
^^ Joe, I have tried calling the guy as well, to no avail. I informed e-bay earlier this evening that I am unable to pay. They were actually pretty unhelpful and asked me to contact the seller again. If I don't hear from the guy in a day or two, I am gonna take this to the resolution center or whatever it is called and pick up something else. Very annoying though, this whole thing.

If you want, you should let e-bay know as well that you have no way to pay the dude so the fact that you bid for this item and won but haven't paid yet is not your fault.

BTW, the following is the number I have for the mendo dude: 707-459-1206 (I got this off the mendo mulchers website, so it shldn't be a biggie posting it here..)
Still no contact with the seller, I did read his reviews from ebay and does have negative feed back. One was for having a loose screen and others for slow shipping. Does not answer emails so my guess is to walk away from this deal and will contact ebay about the seller. On the early post on this topic some one had real issues with the mendo where he was getting metal flakes in his herb and his hand was turning black.

smoking Joe,

obelisk

^^ Joe, I wrote the seller again. I got his actual e-mail address from e-bay which I am sharing here. If the mods have an issue with me putting this e-mail here, let me know. But seeing that this dude seems to be a typical irresponsible seller, I don't see why it should be a problem:

roxndave@saber.net

- hopefully some nice roving bots will catch that e-mail address and spam it to oblivion :brow:

I read the issues regarding the mulcher here too. but i have also read reports of it from other sources and thought, given the price, i'd take the risk. obviously a fucked up decision. oh well :/

Gotta also say that those e-bay reps are also no help. I spoke to 2 guys yesterday- both dumb asses. BOTH of them did not understand my issue, kept asking me to contact the seller even though I mentioned a thousand times I've already tried to contact the seller with no response, and then finally the both of them eventually dropped me from the chat session-- like, just poof, bbye motherfucker you are being too big a pain in the butt. WTF?

Also, the second e-bay dude I spoke to kept telling me that I was wrong.

"Sir, you are wrong".
"I'm sorry, what?"
"Sir, you are wrong, I am loyal to e-bay and love this company and have given my heart and soul to this company. I would never ask you to contact the seller outside of the ebay ecosystem" (well, actually this is a paraphrasing-- the fucker i spoke to does not have the faculties available to him to understand the word ecosystem)
"Well, if I use my private email or phone to contact the seller at his private email or phone-- which is what you are asking me to do, and something that I have tried to do too, numerous times-- isn't e-bay essentially giving up any plausible moderation role they'd have if communications were carried on solely through channels provided by, and monitored by, e-bay-- such as the messaging function available under the 'my e-bay' tab?"
"Sir, you are wrong. You are accusing me of doing things I have never done"
with much restraint and a slap on the forehead: "Do you want me to use my phone number to call the seller's phone number?"
"yes"
"do you or the company that you work for have any ability to monitor whatever phone call occurs between the seller and I, if we both use our private phone numbers?"
--no answer for many minutes--
"hello?"
"Sir, you are wrong. Please use the contact form to report your issues to e-bay, your complaint shall be responded to in 24-48 hours"

bang-click-i've-been-kicked-out-of-the-live-help-chat-thing

Wrong about what you dick chomping schlong slurping motherfucker, at least explain yourself grrrr i hope you get teabagged on the subway in the middle of a beautiful sunday afternoon by a 90 year old retiree with fresh puss-y scabs on his ballsac :mad:

obelisk,

smoking Joe

obelisk said:
^^ Joe, I wrote the seller again. I got his actual e-mail address from e-bay which I am sharing here. If the mods have an issue with me putting this e-mail here, let me know. But seeing that this dude seems to be a typical irresponsible seller, I don't see why it should be a problem:

roxndave@saber.net

- hopefully some nice roving bots will catch that e-mail address and spam it to oblivion :brow:

I read the issues regarding the mulcher here too. but i have also read reports of it from other sources and thought, given the price, i'd take the risk. obviously a fucked up decision. oh well :/

Gotta also say that those e-bay reps are also no help. I spoke to 2 guys yesterday- both dumb asses. BOTH of them did not understand my issue, kept asking me to contact the seller even though I mentioned a thousand times I've already tried to contact the seller with no response, and then finally the both of them eventually dropped me from the chat session-- like, just poof, bbye motherfucker you are being too big a pain in the butt. WTF?

Also, the second e-bay dude I spoke to kept telling me that I was wrong.

"Sir, you are wrong".
"I'm sorry, what?"
"Sir, you are wrong, I am loyal to e-bay and love this company and have given my heart and soul to this company. I would never ask you to contact the seller outside of the ebay ecosystem" (well, actually this is a paraphrasing-- the fucker i spoke to does not have the faculties available to him to understand the word ecosystem)
"Well, if I use my private email or phone to contact the seller at his private email or phone-- which is what you are asking me to do, and something that I have tried to do too, numerous times-- isn't e-bay essentially giving up any plausible moderation role they'd have if communications were carried on solely through channels provided by, and monitored by, e-bay-- such as the messaging function available under the 'my e-bay' tab?"
"Sir, you are wrong. You are accusing me of doing things I have never done"
with much restraint and a slap on the forehead: "Do you want me to use my phone number to call the seller's phone number?"
"yes"
"do you or the company that you work for have any ability to monitor whatever phone call occurs between the seller and I, if we both use our private phone numbers?"
--no answer for many minutes--
"hello?"
"Sir, you are wrong. Please use the contact form to report your issues to e-bay, your complaint shall be responded to in 24-48 hours"

bang-click-i've-been-kicked-out-of-the-live-help-chat-thing

Wrong about what you dick chomping schlong slurping motherfucker, at least explain yourself grrrr i hope you get teabagged on the subway in the middle of a beautiful sunday afternoon by a 90 year old retiree with fresh puss-y scabs on his ballsac :mad:
By searching ebay I found out that the seller may have too many open complaints about him and that is why his pay pal account is not accepting payment for him. Thanks for his email...........but if I have to run this guy down he's trouble and glad he didn't get my money! I just want to delete the transaction and move on. I do have a sharp stone grinder that works fine, just looking for an upgrade. thanks for the info will post ebay reply.

smoking Joe,

obelisk

smoking Joe said:
but if I have to run this guy down he's trouble and glad he didn't get my money!
true

I just want to delete the transaction and move on.
that is what I am working on as well. since we are buyers, it is our responsibility to pay. and all my communications with ebay to inform them that i'm willing to pay but unable to doesn't seem to be working, so i am a bit concerned about what this could do to my ebay rating if this thing needlessly shows up as unpaid on my record.

also, sorry about the rant in the previous post. i just cannot believe how unhelpful some of these customer service dudes are..

obelisk,

smoking Joe

obelisk said:
smoking Joe said:
but if I have to run this guy down he's trouble and glad he didn't get my money!
true

I just want to delete the transaction and move on.
that is what I am working on as well. since we are buyers, it is our responsibility to pay. and all my communications with ebay to inform them that i'm willing to pay but unable to doesn't seem to be working, so i am a bit concerned about what this could do to my ebay rating if this thing needlessly shows up as unpaid on my record.

also, sorry about the rant in the previous post. i just cannot believe how unhelpful some of these customer service dudes are..
Not sure whom you talked too at ebay? Just called them and explained that the seller can't be reached by email or phone and went ahead and canceled the transaction. click help and go to the resoultion center and click other, type your question then they give you a number to call and no problem. Maybe because I was ready to speak to a dick head and went smooth..............now what grinder should I get looking at space case from vapeworld with 10 percent off.

smoking Joe,

obelisk

^^ gotta wait 7 days before the order can be canceled without the seller's consent. You must have ordered before me?

Anyway, I spent about 2 hours with ebay again. This time I got a lady on chat-- she was helpful and gave me a phone number. Then I had to deal with assholes over the phone. It took me 30 minutes just to explain to some Indian kid (trying very hard to pretend he is not Indian-- Hello, I am Indian too, I smell you over the phone you fellow beige fucker) that me asking to speak with the supervisor is not meant as an insult. sheesh.

Anyway, the supervisor guy was very reasonable. He sounded like a meek old Indian dude in his 40s with a thin moustache, wire glasses and skinny pants. He told me no problem, I can ignore this transaction and buy my grinder from someone else, if this seller files an unpaid case against me, this dude put enough notes to record the fact that I made reasonable attempts to try pay the seller.

Also, to the ebay dumbasses I chatted with yesterday, the only reason the supervisor guy agreed to cancel the order for me was because I had sent one email to the seller through the ebay messaging center. The supervisor pulled that out and it served as evidence that I made due efforts to pay. A phone call or email outside the ebay system is not as strong evidence as trying to make contact using ebay's mail function, because they monitor their ecosystem and it's just easier to convince someone of something using their own records-- just like I was saying earlier. Fucking "Sir, You are wrong" buttmunch. Anyway-- if any of you ever have problems with someone on ebay, make sure you use the ebay mail service instead of your private email (like I was asked to do), you might thank yourself for it later

Also, btw, I spoke to paypal and this guy cannot accept payments into his account because his account is currently 'restricted' or 'limited'. I straight up asked the paypal dude if I should beware of this account, and he said yes. So, FWIW. I don't think the seller is a bad guy, just a stoner who needs to get a bit more responsible :/

As to what to get now-- if I had the money I'd say the Cosmic. But I don't, so I dunno what I am going to get. It was hard enough to decide on the Mulcher!

obelisk,
Top Bottom