• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Herb Grinders

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
I'm a little torn about the screen, but I think in the end it's another maintenance part to take care of. What gets clogged you will eventually lose through cleaning, so somehow it seems easier and more relaxed to use the 3pc. What were your reasons to get rid of the screen? Most seem to prefer the catcher. I am leaning more to the 3pc but still a bit undecided. Damn.
I prefer to vape all the material at once and, as you mentioned, the screen is just another part to get dirty, so I prefer a true 3pc grinder. After going the 'remote the screen' route with the SLX, it wasn't long before I was looking at the SCS 3pc again. I still use both, but I grab the SCS 8 times out of 10.

markjas2012

I'm sure most people here have one, but here's a thread for the hell of it.

Herb grinders do what you would expect, two sets of teeth tear the herb into smaller pieces, perfect for vaporization. A grinder exposes more surface area than chopping with scissors and is a lot easier than ripping up the bud with your fingers.

Another great feature some grinders have is a screen that catches your bud, but lets the small trichomes fall through and collect in a bottom tray. These wonderful resin heads stick together to become what is known as kif. You can sprinkle it on your herbs to vaporize as is, or press it into hash.

There are a ton of hand grinders out there and most work on the same principal. However, there is a big difference in quality from the top of the line to a cheap acrylic grinder. A good one will probably last a lifetime and is a worthwhile investment.

Some features you want to look for are a magnetic top which keeps the freely rotating top piece from falling off. As well as a nylon gasket, which allows smooth turning of the top piece and prevents metal on metal contact.

Couple pics. SSV crew threw this in one of my orders for free, works well.

ssv-grinder.jpg

kif-grinder.jpg

When you first get a new grinder, it's a good idea to give it a thorough cleaning to remove production residues. Dry grind for a minute (use some oregano or something if you want), then give it a thorough scrub with a toothbrush in warm soapy water. Shake/towel/fan dry and be sure to let it air out till there's no moisture left. Watch for small magnetic particles.

With 4+ piece kif collecting grinders, you can put a small coin or something in the screen compartment to speed up kif collection. Though this also means fewer trichomes in your ground herb and more plant matter in your kif. Shaking the grinder side to side (no coin) la sifter box is a cleaner method.

See also: [vaporpedia link removed due to malware]
I'm currently have a Space Case Large, Santa Cruz shredder XL, and a Kannastor GR8TR.

I find myself using the Kannastor the most at this point, but all work well and I cycle between them.

Last edited by a moderator:
markjas2012,
Reactions: Summer

rodders83

Damn, took long enough. I hope you're happy and grinding like butter!

Yea the end result was fine a replacement is not cheap but i cant get the black laser etched small 2 part in the UK either. So i will return to them for some spare O-Rings and a small finnisher with the same white laser etching.

All non laser etched is now called old stock with Space Case so its cool i got one of those, $120 USD it would of cost me directly!!

gonzorelli777

Vape virgin
Yea the end result was fine a replacement is not cheap but i cant get the black laser etched small 2 part in the UK either. So i will return to them for some spare O-Rings and a small finnisher with the same white laser etching.

All non laser etched is now called old stock with Space Case so its cool i got one of those, $120 USD it would of cost me directly!!
Glad to hear it all worked out well in the end Rodders. Looks like SC haven't been around the forum much, but they run the business in addition to their day jobs, so maybe the haven't got time for much else.

The anodising on the new models is nice, so easy to keep clean!

gonzorelli777,
Reactions: Hjalmark

gonzorelli777

Vape virgin
That does look pretty sweet, *must resist urge*!

Speaking of resisting urges, SC are offering 25% off everything at the moment, no codes needed. I'll ask them about the lack of activity here, it was cool to see them around while they were here.

ETA: The Mendo website...yikes! I'm a junior developer but I could definitely do something with that :D

MAbud

My New Vape fine grinder delivers today. Quality looks incredible! Looking forward to giving it a spin this weekend. SC Shredder still holding down #1 spot currently

skayleef

As far as log vapes are concerned, what would be a great grinder on the market for someone who mainly uses log vapes? (asking for a friend I am planning on gifting)

The four I am looking at are: Zeus vortex, SW2, SLX, kannastor gr8

skayleef,

Summer

Long Island, NY
I have 4 piece SCS, 4 piece Super Weapon II, 2 piece Mendo Mulcher and now 2 piece New Vape. Pros and cons of each IMO

I read only 1 review that the Mendo Mulcher produces a lumpy coarse grind & the New Vape a fine? Any of these produce a very coarse fluffy grind. Right now I think I'm gonna try the Groove as the grind looks coarse & fluffy, well, in at least the 1 youtube that exists. I just can't believe how few pictures there are of the grinder grinds in either google images or youtube vids. It's terrible. How does one make a decision if they can't see the result of the grinder.

Summer,

MAbud

I read only 1 review that the Mendo Mulcher produces a lumpy coarse grind & the New Vape a fine? Any of these produce a very coarse fluffy grind. Right now I think I'm gonna try the Groove as the grind looks coarse & fluffy, well, in at least the 1 youtube that exists. I just can't believe how few pictures there are of the grinder grinds in either google images or youtube vids. It's terrible. How does one make a decision if they can't see the result of the grinder.

I would say that pretty well describeds my Santa Cruz Shredder. Maybe a bit more fine than what you say but not super fine and really good fluff to it

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
EEK way too many fucking teeth!!!
One would have to break up their shit into the size of BB's just to fit it in the lid of the grinder.

I cannot count how many times the grinder industry regresses, just for the sake of releasing an "innovative and new product." Looks like a headache to pack and a TON of surface areas to collect residue and require cleaning.

I like the company Mendo, but not this grinder... No thank you.

Last edited:

biohacker

As far as log vapes are concerned, what would be a great grinder on the market for someone who mainly uses log vapes? (asking for a friend I am planning on gifting)

The four I am looking at are: Zeus vortex, SW2, SLX, kannastor gr8

The Zeus Vortex is discontinued. If you find a source please let me know!! :bowdown: No other grinder has met my needs more than this one, and I haven't been able to find a replacement for it that has been as good. Just in the process of sending back two Sharpstone cranks...both the new v2 as well as the older style. Complete junk. Now I know why a certain retailer won't stock them...the quality is crap!

babaganush

Hey guys, Im a bit concerned. I've had this 2pc Space Case grinder (i dont know if its aluminum or TI) for a couple of years now, but I only now noticed some peeling or chipping around the edges of the sharp tips (the silver parts), seen here:

h4o0PVm.jpg

Im not sure how long Ive had this problem for. Is this normal for a high quality grinder to do this at any point in time? Or would only a fake have this problem? Is there any trusted brands that wont have any sort of paint chipping or filing down?

Last edited:
babaganush,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Hey guys, Im a bit concerned. I've had this 2pc Space Case grinder (i dont know if its aluminum or TI) for a couple of years now, but I only now noticed some peeling or chipping around the edges of the sharp tips, seen here:
Im not sure how long Ive had this problem for. Is this normal for a high quality grinder to do this at any point in time? Or would only a fake have this problem? Is there any trusted brands that wont have any sort of paint chipping or filing down?
Without the grinder being clean, it is very hard to see what you describe.
The Zeus Vortex is discontinued.
They still list it as buyable... at http://zeusarsenal.com/zeus-vortex-grinder
Might be time for a deep clean
Check out http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/herb-grinders.15/page-144#post-366689
Or would only a fake have this problem? Is there any trusted brands that wont have any sort of paint chipping or filing down?
It is not likely a fake.
The way to avoid the chipping, is to avoid the Ti Coating, and go with silver (plain.... uncoated when offered a choice)

biohacker

You must have found that dead link via google search? If you click on buy you will be redirected to TorontoVaporizer (where it's also discontinued). If you also click on "arsenal" and "grinders" you will quickly see that they only offer the Zeus Bolt and Zeus Bolt 2. The Bolt 2 replaced the Vortex, which I have no use for since I require the crank. I spoke to the company and they confirmed that it is in fact not being manufactured anymore. Sad day for me, but I think i've now located possible suitable replacements from GrassCity. There is no way they made this grinder proprietary just for TorontoV/Zeus so I just need to locate the generic version, and hoping these from GC are the ticket. Based on the thread design, i'm hoping I have better success than the two Sharpstones that let me down.

MoltenTiger

Hey guys, Im a bit concerned. I've had this 2pc Space Case grinder (i dont know if its aluminum or TI) for a couple of years now, but I only now noticed some peeling or chipping around the edges of the sharp tips (the silver parts), seen here:

h4o0PVm.jpg

It's fairly normal for that kind of wear and tear with a grinder. The Ti space case is notorious for it, as it's an Al grinder with a powder coated, or some other application, surface.

This surface is what is rubbing off, and no one can tell you what it is or if it's safe. It's not very alarming, but is probably undesirable.

I think Mendo Mulchers, Santa Cruz and the SLX finishes are much less prone to damage*. Normally damage occurs at metal-metal friction points, seeing the SC teeth are bud-metal contact zones, IMO it is pathetic that after only 2 years this is the condition for a top tier priced grinder.

Here's my SLX lid, never seen anything but bud and a brush about 3 odd times long ago in it's 23 month service period, so about the same time frame as the SC above. Deep cleaning is hardly necessary, I could dry brush this piece to near spotless. There is a few tiny bits stuck to the teeth, so a toothbrush could be useful to arrive at spotless, but the MFLB brush around the edges takes no time and yields a tiny chamber booster.
168fmkn.jpg

As a daily grinder, this is just how my grinder is constantly.
I really recommend it, it's a great product.
Had a look at a silver one my friend picked up a month ago, and I'll just note that it looked way better in person than the pics looked. It was almost gunmetal grey, I wish I chose it over charcoal, which is basically black (which another friend has, it's easy to mix them up). They all look good, but most importantly work consistently without ever really needing cleaning.

That grinder has seen a shit load of plant matter at this point, maybe 1.5 pound. Still works like I just pulled it out of the box.

Edit* I'll add that any treated metal grinder has its own associated exposure potentials. Mostly it really isn't worth a second though, I've plucked feathers out of buds before lol. What we don't know won't hurt us! But it does pay to be careful

Last edited:

babaganush

You sold me, @MoltenTiger. Thanks for the rec.

I like that the aluminum is a bit stronger than most other premium grinders, and they advertise how the ceramic wont break or chip. Would you or anyone know which ones sold on Amazon are real? The prices seem to be all over, from $50 to $100+ for the same ones.

Edit: seems like the only authorized retailer on Amazon for SLX is from the seller "Uncle Max" (http://slxgrinders.com/info/) A couple of users here did report of the coating coming off though, which makes me a bit wary
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/herb-grinders.15/page-311#post-1099235

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

You sold me, @MoltenTiger. Thanks for the rec.

I like that the aluminum is a bit stronger than most other premium grinders, and they advertise how the ceramic wont break or chip. Would you or anyone know which ones sold on Amazon are real? The prices seem to be all over, from $50 to $100+ for the same ones.

Edit: seems like the only authorized retailer on Amazon for SLX is from the seller "Uncle Max" (http://slxgrinders.com/info/) A user here did report of the coating coming off though, which I find strange:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/herb-grinders.15/page-311#post-1099235
Yeah, I better show the downside to the complete coating the SLX has, including metal-metal contact walls.
Some people here have bought off Amazon I'm pretty sure.. from memory someone got the wrong size sent, but I don't know if I can trust memory, I just had a huge dab,,
which is making everything quite difficult right now :science: caught me off guard
20zela9.jpg

The damage is pretty real on the surfaces of the grinder walls. My mates (SLX 2.5yrs) is basically just all bare metal now but has been for ages, I've told him he should warranty it, but the reality is it's still just as good to grind with, and the damage is done. Mine has held up a bit better, but I can recall a few times where it was obvious damage was being dealt when grinding. This thing has had a work out really, being left around at parties with heavy bong smokers and just general use, it's barely been looked after, just used and abused.
The newer grinders seem to have a better/smoother surface feel, so it'll be interesting to see how they hold up. So far it seems much better but they still suffer a bit.
Ultimately it's completely unnoticeable apart from the after math, and it's outside the action space where the herb is before it falls away. It's undesirable, but said to be inert, and I personally have no qualms about it. It's similar to your Space Case predicament, it just occurs slowly over time, or rapidly if it's scratched (some bud is impossible to grind, and it can put some serious stress on the grinder, the super strong metal holds up no worries, but the thing with non stick stuff is it's hard to adhere it down, so it breaks away if it's scraped with enough force and from something hard enough. Metal tools can't be used with it. The teeth have no chance to get ruined by the herb, but the outside metal rim can get destroyed by itself. The coating is extremely thin and I haven't noticed any dust or residue. It obviously exists, but it's undetectable. And as it's inert, it's basically like any normal potential air pollutant. The Space Case is basically the same thing as the SLX, so it may well be worth keeping it. But it is nice to have the working section void of degradation with the SLX, the consistent usage is why I am happy with it. I can expect the same thing every day from it and it never disappoints. I think a V3 could address a few things with it for sure though, it's not perfect. It could be threadless with magnets, and the metal-metal contact could be hard anodised inserts. But as is it's a pretty damn good all-rounder.

If you brush it after every use and always keep the lid completely flat, and not levered up on one side, the grinder will stay in perfect condition. It's also not completely stick-proof. Like waterproof phones, there are limtes to everything. But after about 6 months and from then, this is basically what my SLX is always like. I brushed up some kief from around the edge, first time in months. It's just white trichomes without any visible impurities. Unfortunately I don't have a microscope
2dam3j8.jpg

But I'm more than happy to sub the kief easily transferred to this spoon :nod:

Last edited:
Top Bottom