• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Herb Grinders

sixstringsmash

Just curious which cranks you have used? Cheapy ebay ones? Or screw-down tops? I've never had a single issue with my Zeus Vortex in several years of ownership.... and the reviews speak for themselves. Most coarsest shred i've ever seen though, so not much for medium-fine grind.

Looking forward to checking out that new Black Leaf screw down from GrassCity..... hard to find quality screw down cranks!

They were both sharpstones. I'm not sure about the Zeus never used it but if it does work without breaking that sounds awesome.

sixstringsmash,
Reactions: biohacker

Mulehead

kind of cool apart from the dental tool noise :ko:

Quick update on the Chewy.
I've found that I can get a finer grind packing more into the loading chamber.
Also ironically enough mine performs better the dirtier/kiefier it gets!
Which happens to work out great for my lazy ass!
I also think the spring that keeps pressure on your herbs has loosened a bit, which might help with a finer grind.

I'm starting to get a more consistent medium grind.
But the ease and convenience of this grinder has now earned the starting spot over the gr8tr.

I don't have wrist problems like @biohacker but I do suffer from arthritis in my fingers which makes typical grinding a chore at times.
I think this might be a great option (after a bit of build up, not sure why this helps with a finer grind, but it does) for people that suffer from arthritis or other hand/wrist problems.

Archimedes

Cleaning machining products before use is really recommended!
Generally there is some machining oil's leftover, or metal dust and you don't want to inhale that ;)
Thank you I will do that before I use it. I figured it would be fine to use out of the gate since it's all "medical grade materials" or whatever, but it makes sense to clean it first anyway. Any recommendations for cleaning a 3 piece scs? Just soak in 91% ISO overnight and clean the troubled areas with q tips? Also what's the best way to throughly rinse it afterwords to get rid of all the traces of the ISO? Don't want my fluff to have any taste of rubbing alcohol lol

Archimedes,

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
The Chewy looks interesting & whilst not for me I would be interested if there was a high end electric grinder that was non stick I suppose. Would be cool to own if you were a smoker with that grind consistency & ease of use.

Surely there is a well machined crank grinder out there? I am sure there are plenty who would pay a pretty penny for a titanium in the right places grinder that won't break under heavy use. Don't worry @Archimedes, the overnight soak & some Iso dipped cotton buds will get it spotless. Just wash it under well under running water.

TheVaporist

Man is a universe within himself
Thank you I will do that before I use it. I figured it would be fine to use out of the gate since it's all "medical grade materials" or whatever, but it makes sense to clean it first anyway. Any recommendations for cleaning a 3 piece scs? Just soak in 91% ISO overnight and clean the troubled areas with q tips? Also what's the best way to throughly rinse it afterwords to get rid of all the traces of the ISO? Don't want my fluff to have any taste of rubbing alcohol lol

You could use ISO or Ethanol, let it soak a few hours then wash it with soap and hot water and you'll be fine! You could use Q tip for example, personally I use an old toothbrush.

If youe grinder have a Teflon oring, remove it before the ISO bath (if you can of course)

Edit: @Stevenski the Ninja have done it before me :0

Justpassedu

MFLB finishing grinder came, so much tinier than I expected, I guess that makes sense since connects to the vape's bowl. It's also a bit rough though, like not sanded well, could end up with wood in my herbs... We'll see when i try to use it, in no rush. I also got a wooden grinder from @mistvaporizer, it is very nice polished wood with very unique blades. Again don't know when I'll use it but it's pretty cool, he sells them on his site I think, not sure if he has anymore.

Still waiting on my Amazon gift card to get an SLX, and I'll be listing the SW1 for sale here over the weekend if anyone is interested
I happen to like the finishing grinder once in awhile , never got wood chips in anything. I dont have a mflb anymore but kept the grinder. I had Delta3d make me a nice funnel holder for it. I highly recommend it for extra grip , should be up on his site now.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
You could use ISO or Ethanol, let it soak a few hours then wash it with soap and hot water and you'll be fine! You could use Q tip for example, personally I use an old toothbrush.

If youe grinder have a Teflon oring, remove it before the ISO bath (if you can of course)

Edit: @Stevenski the Ninja have done it before me :0

I use a toothbrush I dip in Iso on my SLX ever 3 months or so & a final swab with a cotton bud. Toothbrush is what works best & if it wears out buy a new one for $0.99 or use your old one.

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
I know it's not exactly on-topic since it's not for vaping (I love my Santa Cruz shredder for vaping) but does anyone here have experience grinding large amounts of flowers for filling pre-rolls? (120 joints at a time, hoping to be able to make about 2k a day once the technique's dialed in.)

So far a food processor has delivered far too inconsistent of a grind, and the SCS Mega Shredder runs $2500...

OnB7gQnejUol1fKYPVTxZ5NezfIp5bDyj2BL_QTeN_B1Z1a9mrp7vdfvLtSDMVY5COUqbwUxUmoZ=w2560-h1440-rw-no

MoltenTiger

I know it's not exactly on-topic since it's not for vaping (I love my Santa Cruz shredder for vaping) but does anyone here have experience grinding large amounts of flowers for filling pre-rolls? (120 joints at a time, hoping to be able to make about 2k a day once the technique's dialed in.)

So far a food processor has delivered far too inconsistent of a grind, and the SCS Mega Shredder runs $2500...

OnB7gQnejUol1fKYPVTxZ5NezfIp5bDyj2BL_QTeN_B1Z1a9mrp7vdfvLtSDMVY5COUqbwUxUmoZ=w2560-h1440-rw-no
A coffee grinder is probably a good bet for quantities of that scale. Shaking during use gives a nice consistent fluff, but it's all about timing, too long and it's dust.

The SCS mega shredder is fucked up, in the best of ways I guess..
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBBIqLigNsl/

Archimedes

Thank you for all the advice on cleaning my new scs before using it. Anyone else want to chime in on how they would recommend cleaning my 3 piece scs? I don't know how I would feel with just throwing the 3 pieces in a tub of 91% ISO for a few hours. One reason being I don't want the color or anything on the scs to start to fade or chip away. The other being I really don't want the grinder to smell like ISO afterwords or leave ISO traces on the material. But if that's what everyone here is telling me to do, and you all say that rinsing it with water afterwords will clean out any traces, then I guess that's what I'll do. Also I have no idea, does a 3 piece scs have a teflon oring? Thank you everyone!

Archimedes,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Thank you for all the advice on cleaning my new scs before using it. Anyone else want to chime in on how they would recommend cleaning my 3 piece scs? I don't know how I would feel with just throwing the 3 pieces in a tub of 91% ISO for a few hours. One reason being I don't want the color or anything on the scs to start to fade or chip away. The other being I really don't want the grinder to smell like ISO afterwords or leave ISO traces on the material. But if that's what everyone here is telling me to do, and you all say that rinsing it with water afterwords will clean out any traces, then I guess that's what I'll do. Also I have no idea, does a 3 piece scs have a teflon oring? Thank you everyone!

They all have the o ring, and you don't have to soak if it's new, just fill a baggy with some iso and shake to clean, then rinse. It won't retain any iso flavor either way though not will it affect the color or anything else, drying is the tricky part, a hair dryer can help speed that up

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
A coffee grinder is probably a good bet for quantities of that scale. Shaking during use gives a nice consistent fluff, but it's all about timing, too long and it's dust.

The SCS mega shredder is fucked up, in the best of ways I guess..
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBBIqLigNsl/
I can only do 1-3 grams of dried buds in a coffee grinder at a time to achieve a remotely even grind with some of the types of material I'm processing, and the various ways I tried pulsing and shaking it, and the output is too inconsistent compared to a more traditional grinder... It creates powder and tiny rock hard nuggets with bits of stem sticking out, just about as bad as a food processor when more is put inside, in my experience. The coffee grinder and food processor might work for smaller amounts at a time of somewhat moist larger nugs, but for small, hard (5-10% moisture) popcorn and smaller buds with tiny, yet sharp stalks left inside, the tendency of the stalk to drop its bud but remain intact as a sharp stalk, ready to pierce the rolling paper, is an undesirable trait... Traditional herb grinders pulverize those tiny little stalks you'd never notice and grind/shred them up just as well as herb..

What's "fucked up" about the Mega Shredder? The more things I try, the more I want to try THAT.

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
REPEAT of cleaning directions from Kannastor.
Your mileage and opinion may vary.

Kannastor Tips:

If cleaning a grinder with a clear acrylic body or acrylic clear top lid, do not use rubbing alcohol, boil in water or freeze the acrylic jar parts as it may create cracks in the acrylic.

For acrylic parts, either use soap and warm water or other acrylic friendly cleaner.

While ISO is very good at removing residue, it can also be harmful to fragile components of the GR8TR.

For a mild cleaning, soap and warm water will do fine.

If you're looking for a deeper clean, a powdered 420 cleaner is a safe bet as well.

Liquid 420 cleaners are basically just ISO with an abrasive agent, so be careful to get something non-alcohol based!

MoltenTiger

I can only do 1-3 grams of dried buds in a coffee grinder at a time to achieve a remotely even grind with some of the types of material I'm processing, and the various ways I tried pulsing and shaking it, and the output is too inconsistent compared to a more traditional grinder... It creates powder and tiny rock hard nuggets with bits of stem sticking out, just about as bad as a food processor when more is put inside, in my experience. The coffee grinder and food processor might work for smaller amounts at a time of somewhat moist larger nugs, but for small, hard (5-10% moisture) popcorn and smaller buds with tiny, yet sharp stalks left inside, the tendency of the stalk to drop its bud but remain intact as a sharp stalk, ready to pierce the rolling paper, is an undesirable trait... Traditional herb grinders pulverize those tiny little stalks you'd never notice and grind/shred them up just as well as herb..

What's "fucked up" about the Mega Shredder? The more things I try, the more I want to try THAT.
Fair point with quantity. Though my experience with coffee grinders has been quite different and I've prepared and enjoyed many a fluffy and enjoyably consistent chop from them. It takes very little time to chop up with one, it might have to be done in sections but I could process an ounce in only a few minutes.
This is the style I have had success with, and most of the stoners in my country would vouch for them too.

The mega shredder is just fucked how big it is. Crazy. It's probably the perfect tool for you though, so maybe look into it or even contacting a CNC mill to make you something similar cheaper

killick

But I like it!
Every now and again I have this strange idea to drop a bunch of decarbed herb into a pot and give it a shottie with the immersion blender... It's kinda like the Magical Butter machine, but mush sharper and faster. With decarbed herb being nice and dry it *should* work...

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
Fair point with quantity. Though my experience with coffee grinders has been quite different and I've prepared and enjoyed many a fluffy and enjoyably consistent chop from them. It takes very little time to chop up with one, it might have to be done in sections but I could process an ounce in only a few minutes.
This is the style I have had success with, and most of the stoners in my country would vouch for them too.

The mega shredder is just fucked how big it is. Crazy. It's probably the perfect tool for you though, so maybe look into it or even contacting a CNC mill to make you something similar cheaper

I used one of those el cheapo Kmart grinders for the last years of my combustion days :tup:. A coffee grinder & a set of Tanitas & you were a rich man indeed :lol:. The only thing is you need to clean the blades with Iso every now & then & it collects nice pollen if you are a combuster.

If I wanted a massive grinder I would buy a crank grinder & get a CNC place to fabricate me a big unit that can be clamped to a bench or table. If in the US I would go as far as to request a significant discount as if it works well there are plenty of places that would buy one or more.

MoltenTiger

I used one of those el cheapo Kmart grinders for the last years of my combustion days :tup:. A coffee grinder & a set of Tanitas & you were a rich man indeed :lol:. The only thing is you need to clean the blades with Iso every now & then & it collects nice pollen if you are a combuster.
Big fan of a few dusties from the old Kmart grinder haha
Man the states I've seen those grinders in is ridiculous. After some use you lose transparency through the lid of course, but I've seen some after a few years of daily tobacco + bud munching to the point the blades are totally blunt, the lid is nearly impossible to remove/replace, the button is long lost meaning the switch below it needs skewering, and the cable has been twisted and deteriorated to the point of it only working on a certain angle.
One of my mates nearly lost his fingers to a similarly cooked unit, plugged it in and the switch was stuck on.
But what is a set of Tanitas?

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
But what is a set of Tanitas?

Just some Japanese scales that were popular in the 90's. They were $200 a set but the only option in those days. Same deal with the coffee grinders that were $50. I have a friend who occasionally will gift me a fat bag of mixed grinder dust & whilst useless for smoking or vaping it is perfect for solvent extraction :tup:

Tanita%20Model%201479%20Pocket%20Scale.jpg

TboneToker

So, does anyone find that SCS grind to a more efficient consistency for vaping in a convection vape like the Evo or Volcano, than say a Space Case? Is it better to grind finer?

TboneToker,
Reactions: waxdab23

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Kannastor has a sale going on for their GR8TR Vape and the storage pucks, as well as free shipping over $50.

I just picked up both for $55.30! This is a GR8T deal.

So, does anyone find that SCS grind to a more efficient consistency for vaping in a convection vape like the Evo or Volcano, than say a Space Case? Is it better to grind finer?

I'd say it's better to get a more consistent medium grind than an in consistent fine-medium mix. My space case small 4 piece offers the latter of the two grinds. It makes for a bowl that doesn't vape very evenly with the thicker parts still being green inside.

TboneToker

Has anyone here tried Mama P grinders? They're really expensive and large... The top portion with the teeth seems to be deeper than usual? If anyone has tried them please let me know what you think of it vs Space Case, Santa Cruz Shredders, Cali Crushers, New Vape Etc

It comes with the Volcanos you buy direct from Storz & Bickel. Seems kind of lame to include a plastic grinder with a $669 kit, but maybe I'm just anti plastic. :uhoh:

These grinders are awesome though,

you put your cannabis in the smaller, male portion, and then it never really gunks . once it's ground, you spin it and tap it so your material falls into the larger side, then you spin the smaller side upside down which makes it into a carrying space, and you tap your material into it. Then you can tap it your pinch it and load your vape, then cover it with the plastic cover to keep the rest for later.

It's a great design, and honestly, you're not buying a grinder, you're buying a vape, the fact the S&B throws in so many extras is nice of them, whether you like the price or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
It's a great design, and honestly, you're not buying a grinder, you're buying a vape, the fact the S&B throws in so many extras is nice of them, whether you like the price or not.

Exactly. They're trying to get you started if you're new to cannabis in general and don't have a grinder or tray. That way you don't get an awesome new product and end up not being able to use it because you didn't know you needed a grinder. It eases someone into a market rather than shocking them with having to buy a bunch of supporting accessories.

I see the plastic grinders as temporary until you can get a good metal one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom