Herb Grinders

olivianewtonjohn

Titanium is a lot harder than aluminum too but look at the issues people are having with the Ti coated SC grinders.

I doubt it's pure titanium anyways. And wasn't it flaking not scratching? If done right anodized should be better than non anodized. I have heard of people seeing dents/scratches on the teeth of non anodized grinders. How frequent that happens Idk.
Yeah Im worried Ima die now cuz my SCS is chipping and I think it will go in the bud. Do you think I should stop using it? I have an unused volcano grinder i might start to use if it really is unsafe to use the SCS now.

Honestly I probably would just so I don't have to worry about it. I bought the SCS because I'd rather not have flakes in my bud (at least hopefully not). Others might say depending on your setup flakes should get filter out but IMO why risk it.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Lets assume 2 things:
  1. The flaking is eroded anodized finish.
  2. A plastic grinder will "shed" OEM material as well.
Question: Which would you rather have ROASTING in your ELB before going through through water filtration:
  1. Anodized and metallic "chips" which is a bad word because in reality the amount of material we are talking about here is quite small and delivered over a period of time.
  2. Plastic undergoing pyrolysis (possible combustion but definitely degradation) so you might be inhaling plastic fumes.
Hmmm . . . :hmm: I choose option 1. I would also see if SCS will help you out. If they won't it would definitely change my opinion of them. I wish you luck.

Edit: I dont use my 4 pc any more so I can't comment on the wear on it. The "Satin" finish 2 piece is all I use and I can find no wear on it when I look, even under intense light, but my eyes are bad.

Last edited:

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
Yeah I like to look at the volcano grinder in its case but I dont want to have to actually use it. :)

I havent got a response from SCS since Oct 2nd. I sent them one more email just a while ago with a link to this thread since they werent communicating I wanted you guys to know what can happen if this happens to your SCS. I paid the high price tag because I thought I was getting a high end product. The shredding part is amazing, that I cant deny, but not responding to a reasonable question(s) is disrespectful imo.

olivianewtonjohn

Lets assume 2 things:
  1. The flaking is eroded anodized finish.
  2. A plastic grinder will "shed" OEM material as well.
Question: Which would you rather have ROASTING in your ELB before going through through water filtration:
  1. Anodized and metallic "chips" which is a bad word because in reality the amount of material we are talking about here is quite small and delivered over a period of time.
  2. Plastic undergoing pyrolysis (possible combustion but definitely degradation) so you might be inhaling plastic fumes.
Hmmm . . . :hmm: I choose option 1-A. I would also see if SCS will help you out. If they won't it would definitely change my opinion of them. I wish you luck.

Edit: I dont use my 4 pc any more so I can't comment on the wear on it. The "Satin" finish 2 piece is all I use and I can find no wear on it when I look, even under intense light, but my eyes are bad.

You have a good point and @Live-N-Learn should take what you say into consideration. From my viewpoint though id rather use a plastic grinder in good condition than one that is flaking. Especially since the volcano grinders are suppose to be good quality

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
mwy453.jpg

I cant do anything but stare at it. Dont make me use it!!! :(

1z5i78n.jpg

Last edited:

Vitolo

Vaporist
Same.....
I have a volcano grinder still in its case...
and it looks nice... but....
it stays in it's box as well!
DSC01707.jpg

(image above does not include my Santa Cruz Shredder)

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
You got me there. I like to take it out the box and play pretend every now and then and act like im grinding up some fine cheebah lol

Live-N-Learn,

Vitolo

Vaporist
That picture is a year old, and it is still in the box!
I know that it is famed for being a great grinder.
I used one once, and could not stand to leave any crumbs in it.. I felt the need to brush it out after each use, which causes more static, which kept particles of bud clinging here and there etc.
But.... NOTE:
I am not badmouthing the grind it gave.
It did grind well.

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
Hey just a quick update on my SCS situation:

I got the email from SCS today. They said they dont use paint so they dont know what chipped. I was referred to another person who I am now in discussion with, hopefully more helpful then the other guy was. I will most definitely let you guys know how this resolves.

b0

Cloudy...
Hey just a quick update on my SCS situation:

I got the email from SCS today. They said they dont use paint so they dont know what chipped. I was referred to another person who I am now in discussion with, hopefully more helpful then the other guy was. I will most definitely let you guys know how this resolves.

They are trying to take your words ans use it against you. Anodizing is oxidation over the surface, not painting. Tell them that the anodizing has been scratched, not "chiped", from normal use.

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
Wow, thats shady as fuck if thats what he was doing. I wont expose his name but he did ignore me for a month after a back and forth conversation and just now responded today and said that they were busy with new products. I will give a pass to the first guy, lets see what the new person says. I will definitely state it like that if this guy says the same thing, thanks.

Live-N-Learn,

Caligula

Maximus
Well Im a bit miffed, although its my own fault. I had purchased a "small" 2 piece SCS from an e-tailer. Sadly, their idea of "small" is actually SCS's idea of "micro". Basically, SCS calls their smallest shredder the "micro" where as this e-tailer labeled it as "small" (they dont carry the "micro" it seems).

Anyway, its my own fault. I saw they posted dimensions, but the e-tailer has theirs in mm whereas SCS (like a good 'merican) has theirs in inches. It didn't click, so I clicked "buy" and now I have this tiny grinder thats slightly larger than a jar of Carmex. :(

IDK WTF Im supposed to do with this thing? Shred individual bowls? I tried shredding an eighth with it for fun and to see how the grind works in my Solo. It took about 20 minutes. I cant even turn it without my fingers hitting each other... and I don't have large hands.

I guess it'll just go in my travel kit...

p9tc.jpg

Seriously... why does this exist? Is there a market for child laborers grinding herb in small quantities or something?

Last edited:

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Damn, that IS small lol... I even find my Large 2-piece in the medium realm of grinder size... next one will be an EXTRA LARGE for me for sure :nod:

Caligula

Maximus
You should have just asked for a refund before you used it

I thought about it but the 22 bucks didn't seem worth the trouble. I'll probably end up getting another from them though lol. But I'm rethinking which size I need. Is the REAL "small" SCS a decent size for someone who pregrinds 3.5g at a time? Or is the Medium SCS more what I'm looking for?

Regarding the micro though...
Honestly this thing MAY have a use as a "to go" item. It would be very easy to slip this in your pocket or something if you're going to a party, snowboarding, the beach, etc...

Just don't expect to grind more than .25 at a time.

Caligula,

olivianewtonjohn

I thought about it but the 22 bucks didn't seem worth the trouble. I'll probably end up getting another from them though lol. But I'm rethinking which size I need. Is the REAL "small" SCS a decent size for someone who pregrinds 3.5g at a time? Or is the Medium SCS more what I'm looking for?

Regarding the micro though...
Honestly this thing MAY have a use as a "to go" item. It would be very easy to slip this in your pocket or something if you're going to a party, snowboarding, the beach, etc...

Just don't expect to grind more than .25 at a time.
I see. My SCS is about 2" not sure what size that is, probably small? I have to do 2-3 loads with an eigth. For me its not a hassle at my usage levels, I have no complaints.

olivianewtonjohn,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
According to PV's size listings of the SCS's: (sorry, they don't sell the small nor list its size)

Specs:

• Large 2pc. 2.75 inches (7cm) wide , 0.98 inches (2.5cm) high
  • Medium 2pc.2.2 inches (5.5cm) wide , 0.98 inches (2.5cm) high
  • Mini 2pc. 1.6 inches (4cm) wide , 0.8 inches (2cm) high

NeeChee

More meatloaf Ma!
Yes this list does not include the 3" SCS either i think they still call the large.Looking at Ebay they have a "Jumbo" at 4". I think the best all around size would be the 2.75"

Last edited:
NeeChee,

olivianewtonjohn

According to PV's size listings of the SCS's: (sorry, they don't sell the small nor list its size)

Specs:

• Large 2pc. 2.75 inches (7cm) wide , 0.98 inches (2.5cm) high
  • Medium 2pc.2.2 inches (5.5cm) wide , 0.98 inches (2.5cm) high
  • Mini 2pc. 1.6 inches (4cm) wide , 0.8 inches (2cm) high
As @Caligula sadly learned it seems the only way to tell the size is to go by dimensions. So PV lists medium but SCS lists medium as small. LOL IDK why all the sellers make it so complicated

So @Caligula if I remember correctly it takes 2-3 loads for an eigth in a "small" 2.2"; I havent grinded in over a month so to be honest thats going from my memory which might not be the best of ideas haha

Caligula

Maximus
Well I'd like to be able to mow through an eighter in 2 passes and without feeling like I'm overloading it to do so. Maybe the SCS medium (accordong to SCS LOL) unit is more my speed...

King

Accessory Maker
Well I'd like to be able to mow through an eighter in 2 passes and without feeling like I'm overloading it to do so. Maybe the SCS medium (accordong to SCS LOL) unit is more my speed...

I use a medium SCS to pregrind ~2g at a time. The center holding chamber can hold 3.5g easily, but you'll want to load the top grinding chamber loosely (depending on the density of the herb) for the best results. I'd say do two 1.75g runs or three ~1.2g runs.

@Live-N-Learn Its kind of hard to tell whats going on from those pictures because of the glare, can you try taking some photos outdoors where there is even lighting? Unfortunately your grinder isn't going to look new forever. The anodized finish (the same thing that makes it green) goes a long way in protecting the grinder from nicks and scuffs, but it can wear down with use from all the abrasion.

I've had good experiences dealing with SCS in the past, and they offer a lifetime warranty. I'm sure if your grinder was having any functional issues they'd replace it for you.

Those guys can get busy, and emails can fall between the cracks. Your post was a little vague, but you mentioned offering to ship the grinder to them. Are you trying to get it replaced?

As far as the safety of using grinders, that subject pops up in this thread every so often and people generally seem to agree that the micro shavings and particles that may come off of a high quality aluminum grinder aren't a cause for concern. I cant speak to the safety of grinders from questionable or murky origins.

Top Bottom