Herb Grinders

max

Out to lunch
As far as the safety of using grinders, that subject pops up in this thread every so often and people generally seem to agree that the micro shavings and particles that may come off of a high quality aluminum grinder aren't a cause for concern. I cant speak to the safety of grinders from questionable or murky origins.
Aluminum 'bits and pieces' from grinders are all going to be just that- aluminum, and unless you're grinding chunky stems there should be little to none from any decent grinder (aside from anodizing wear and tear). I've been using one $15 grinder (Sharp Crusher) for years, and there's no noticable loss of sharpness and I've never seen any shiny bits in the herb.

I too have noticed that the sizes on SCS grinders are often screwed up. On some sites small=mini (1 5/8") and sometimes small=2".

max,
Reactions: King

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
@Live-N-Learn Its kind of hard to tell whats going on from those pictures because of the glare, can you try taking some photos outdoors where there is even lighting? Unfortunately your grinder isn't going to look new forever. The anodized finish (the same thing that makes it green) goes a long way in protecting the grinder from nicks and scuffs, but it can wear down with use from all the abrasion.

I've had good experiences dealing with SCS in the past, and they offer a lifetime warranty. I'm sure if your grinder was having any functional issues they'd replace it for you.

Those guys can get busy, and emails can fall between the cracks. Your post was a little vague, but you mentioned offering to ship the grinder to them. Are you trying to get it replaced?

As far as the safety of using grinders, that subject pops up in this thread every so often and people generally seem to agree that the micro shavings and particles that may come off of a high quality aluminum grinder aren't a cause for concern. I cant speak to the safety of grinders from questionable or murky origins.

I only have my BB but I can try to take some pics in theI would like to get it replaced if possible. If its normal for it to look like that for 6 months of use then I learned that grinders arent meant to last more then a year, which I dont think is a true statement, but could be wrong. Also I do not grind chunky stems because I pregrind by hand only leaving the piece of bud.

Aluminum 'bits and pieces' from grinders are all going to be just that- aluminum, and unless you're grinding chunky stems there should be little to none from any decent grinder (aside from anodizing wear and tear). I've been using one $15 grinder (Sharp Crusher) for years, and there's no noticable loss of sharpness and I've never seen any shiny bits in the herb.

Thats what I'm afraid of. I dont want Aluminum or any metal in my body that doesnt need to be there. Might as well smoke a big ole fat blunt if I didnt care about health with this ish.

Update: They asked for my # and said they would give me a call. More to post later.

Last edited:

King

Accessory Maker
If its normal for it to look like that for 6 months of use then I learned that grinders arent meant to last more then a year, which I dont think is a true statement, but could be wrong.

The shredding part is amazing, that I cant deny

You're talking about two different things here, the finish wearing down and the function of the grinder. Since you mentioned that the grinder works "amazing" functionally, I'm sure that you can expect many years of use out of it. Certainly more than a year.

Thats what I'm afraid of. I dont want Aluminum or any metal in my body that doesnt need to be there. Might as well smoke a big ole fat blunt if I didnt care about health with this ish.

This is going to happen with any grinder. The particles are so small that you'll be hard pressed to find them. I think you're still much better off than using a non-metallic grinder.

Think about this:
  • If you've ever cooked in a frying pan, you've probably eaten a bit of teflon.
  • If you've ever used a pepper mill, you've probably seasoned your food with incredibly small bits of metal.

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
I see what your saying, makes sense. It definitely still works, but my concern is if its this worn[anodization,paint whatever] at 6 months then I might get wayy more metal in the future since the product would have REAL wear and tear. I want to nip it in the bud, so to say since many think it shouldnt be flaking so quickly. I dont shred pounds or ounces at a time. I shred maybe .5 - 1g so cmon now.

Live-N-Learn,
Reactions: King

King

Accessory Maker
I see what your saying, makes sense. It definitely still works, but my concern is if its this worn[anodization,paint whatever] at 6 months then I might get wayy more metal in the future since the product would have REAL wear and tear. I want to nip it in the bud, so to say since many think it shouldnt be flaking so quickly. I dont shred pounds or ounces at a time. I shred maybe .5 - 1g so cmon now.

Ah, I see where you're coming from now. You can rest assured that it isn't going to start degrading faster due to the finish wearing down. Your grinder isn't going to start shedding "way more metal" due to this either.

Some grinders are sold without an anodized finish at all (silver Space Case). The big difference is that they'll show light scratches and scuffs well before an anodized grinder does.

olivianewtonjohn

Idk why your saying flaking is so normal. @King i have not heard of it as being normal especially for 6 month old grinder. I'm sure many other owners of SCS haven't had flaking either. Also saying a company is busy is not a good excuse. In general Idk why so many users on these forums let manufacturers slide. Its not Ok especially for SCS which are some of the most expensive grinders. I expect better than 1 month late response but that's just me.

max

Out to lunch
Some grinders are sold without an anodized finish at all
The vast majority of grinders with no color (other than the standard shiny aluminum) are not anodized. I'd be shocked if any grinder is anodized that doesn't spell it out in the advertising. It's an extra process and adds to production cost so marketing wise, they'll want you to know you're getting that 'extra'.

I'll say it again. Annodizing, with grinders, is overrated and more about selling pretty colors than offering protection, strength, or long lasting beauty. Plain Space Cases look better down the road than their Titanium brothers unless you really baby them. Even then, you can really only control how the outside looks.

olivianewtonjohn

The vast majority of grinders with no color (other than the standard shiny aluminum) are not anodized. I'd be shocked if any grinder is anodized that doesn't spell it out in the advertising. It's an extra process and adds to production cost so marketing wise, they'll want you to know you're getting that 'extra'.

I'll say it again. Annodizing, with grinders, is overrated and more about selling pretty colors than offering protection, strength, or long lasting beauty. Plain Space Cases look better down the road than their Titanium brothers unless you really baby them. Even then, you can really only control how the outside looks.
Rather than generalizing, I'd love if more SCS owners would come in and let us know how their grinders are holding up. I have heard that the titanium space cases flake, but have not heard the same about SCS. I have had mind for over 6 months and have no marks or signs of use. I grind everything stems and all.

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
I have a 2 piece black SC. About two years old. No flaking or chipping. Looks like new when it's clean.

The reason I shelled out the money for a SC was the reports of flaking others had. This one has held up so well, when I buy a bigger one, it will have to be a Space Case.

Magic9,

King

Accessory Maker
Idk why your saying flaking is so normal. @King i have not heard of it as being normal especially for 6 month old grinder. I'm sure many other owners of SCS haven't had flaking either. Also saying a company is busy is not a good excuse. In general Idk why so many users on these forums let manufacturers slide. Its not Ok especially for SCS which are some of the most expensive grinders. I expect better than 1 month late response but that's just me.

My grinder doesn't look like that either, but I've seen others that have looked similar.

In my opinion, it really comes down to what is being put through the grinder as well as how the grinder is being treated. Since I don't want to accuse anybody of mishandling their grinder, I try to stick to the facts.

As far as "making excuses" for the company, I just wanted to present a less devious alternative to consider. Besides we're only hearing one half of the story. There are two sides to every coin.

I'm not getting any more involved in that interaction, its between @Live-N-Learn and @SantaCruzShredder

I agree that anodizing in this instance is more about aesthetics. I do prefer the scuff resistance from an anodized grinder, my silver Space Case looks like I've been playing street hockey with it.

The reason I shelled out the money for a SC was the reports of flaking others had. This one has held up so well, when I buy a bigger one, it will have to be a Space Case.

I've seen the same types of wear on those (anodized). If you're worried about looks you can always get an anodized one with a clear finish. You'll still have the scratch and scuff resistance of an anodized coating but won't have to deal with the worn look if it wears down.

Last edited:

NeeChee

More meatloaf Ma!
What gets me is in the advertising on SCS website. They state the color is blended into the metal and will not chip or fade away. But that is what we are seeing here wether its chipping or fading it is now missing.I'm just glad i bought the silver so i wont notice it. I was thinking in the future of buying a large orange and a green SCS and mixing the colors to get a Miami Hurricanes effect. Now i don't feel comfy dropping $200 on a fancy color set up if it will not even last a year.

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
Alright peeps I just want everyone here to know in NO WAY am I bashing SCS as a company nor is it my intent. I DO NOT want anyone to be discouraged to purchase an SCS and the shred is definitely amazing and fluffs bud like Ive never seen.

I only posted my concerns here because I was a bit pissed off and felt powerless after I was ignored for a month after a full conversation happened between me and an employee at SCS. All in all, I was ASSURED after a phone call earlier that everything would be taken care of. I really dont want any negative rep to be added for a great product and a solid company. I will give you an official update in a bit.

canj00digit?

All my days in a daze...
I love my jumbo 4" SCS, and don't need any other grinder, but I must admit there is another grinder out there that is unique enough to have caught my eye awhile back... a different and interesting design.

Anyone here ever use one?

It's called 'Kinder Herb Grinder' from Herbal Innovations.
It 'claims' to grind to a perfect fluff but I cannot find any reviews or testimonials or vids or anything.

It looks quite easy (on the hands) to use, can grind an assload of meds at one time and has no parts that could flake or chip I wouldn't think. The blades are removable (and the rest of the unit is dishwasher safe) to make for easy cleaning.

Blades are apparently laser cut surgical grade 18/8 stainless steel.

kinder2.jpg

kinder1.jpg

kinder3.jpg

canj00digit?

All my days in a daze...
I'd prefer the blades be ceramic...

Definitely would have been ideal. I wonder if they considered ceramic when designing it.
I have had a decent look around and haven't really come across any ceramic bladed grinders
that look like they'd work well with our favourite herb.

canj00digit?,
Reactions: Caligula

canj00digit?

All my days in a daze...
Did you look at tythe Kyocera ceramic grinder?

Yeah, actually I did. It looked like the ceramic grinding mech would grind the herb too fine (and not a good fluff) maybe?
Granted I was making that uneducated judgement based on the very tight meshing grind teeth and it being a coffee grinder by design. I didn't actually try to research anyone's experiences with it with herb.
Have you used one?

canj00digit?,

Caligula

Maximus
Yeah, actually I did. It looked like the ceramic grinding mech would grind the herb too fine (and not a good fluff) maybe?
Granted I was making that uneducated judgement based on the very tight meshing grind teeth and it being a coffee grinder by design. I didn't actually try to research anyone's experiences with it with herb.
Have you used one?
No I haven't but I do know you can adjust the grind fineness

canj00digit?

All my days in a daze...
No I haven't but I do know you can adjust the grind fineness

Hopefully someone 'round here buys one and lets us know (hint hint to anyone looking for a grinder). :D

Yesterday the postman delivered my little package from China with my $1.02US (shipped) improvement to my jumbo SCS. A simple silicone wristband. They're so handy. It just stretches over the jumbo and fits very tight and absolutely improves usage comfort. The bottom, previously without any texture of any sort to assist grip, now has a ring that is non-slip, soft of the fingers and very easy to grip. Works so well I am going to save for a while and buy another $1.02 band for the top part of the grinder.

scs_band.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pic and filthy grinder :p

Caligula

Maximus
Last edited:

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
Alright guys final UPDATE on my SCS situation. I spoke with SCS on the phone today and they were baffled to how my SCS was so tore up, but they said after scraping the teeth with a tool, the white on the teeth was just tree residue and not chipping. The outer core did lose the 'anodization' ? but the teeth were still good. They never had someone with a SCS in such condition so originally they thought I was a competitor bashing their product. All in all they are shipping me a brand new PURPLE Large SCS, which is my favorite color. So dont be worried because your SCS is protected if there ever be an issue. Thanks FC for existing and helping me get things resolved.

b0

Cloudy...
Alright guys final UPDATE on my SCS situation. I spoke with SCS on the phone today and they were baffled to how my SCS was so tore up, but they said after scraping the teeth with a tool, the white on the teeth was just tree residue and not chipping. The outer core did lose the 'anodization' ? but the teeth were still good. They never had someone with a SCS in such condition so originally they thought I was a competitor bashing their product. All in all they are shipping me a brand new PURPLE Large SCS, which is my favorite color. So dont be worried because your SCS is protected if there ever be an issue. Thanks FC for existing and helping me get things resolved.

Nice to see it ending well, I have a SCS too and was worried at first when I saw your post and how they tried to fool you because you said your SCS was chiped. Now I'm even happier to have bought my SCS.

baltik

Soo I am about to pull the trigger on a SCS, tired of my cheapo 4 piece that is always sticky and doesnt grind very well. I was leaning towards the medium 2pc, without having to read the 160 pages, is there any advantage to the 4 piece if I never end up using the screened kief. 2.2" diameter good enough or do i need to go bigger?

thnks in advance

Last edited:
baltik,
Top Bottom