Discontinued Healthy Rips FIERCE

Summer

Long Island, NY
Had to be issued as an upgrade as it's ridiculously too early for a v2 as the v1 just came out. & the firmware did need to updated, if only for the drop in temp upon drawing. Apart from this, I completely agree with your sentiments about the goodwill & professionalism of HR.

wx6896

Had to be issued as an upgrade as it's ridiculously too early for a v2 as the v1 just came out. & the firmware did need to updated, if only for the drop in temp upon drawing. Apart from this, I completely agree with your sentiments about the goodwill & professionalism of HR.

I mean, yeah they're not gonna launch a v2 now. I'm just saying they didn't need to fix it at all. They could've waited and launched a whole new product. But, like I said before, the vape market is pretty small, so if the Fierce didn't do well I could see it marring their reputation.

TVapes

Hi All! We have some very exciting news about our FIERCE firmware update! We sincerely apologize for the delay, we tested four different versions of the update over the last two weeks. We tested, tested, and tested again to ensure that the final update is exceedingly stable. We have our FIERCE so dialed-in now, it's insane!

If you are on our 'update list', you will be getting an email on Monday with instructions on how to get your FIERCE updated. If you are not on our list yet, please email us and we will gladly add you to the list: healthyrips@gmail.com. We realize that there were a couple of wrinkles in our initial FIERCE release - but we are extremely confident that there will be a lot of love for our FIERCE - especially now. It is a vapor beast (humbly speaking). ;)

Have an awesome weekend everyone!
Healthy Rips Team
https://www.healthyrips.com

I notice with my Fierce that it doesn't reach the actual temperature I want it to be at until 2-3 minutes into the session. E.g if I start it at 383 it will start climbing and by 60 seconds it will be at 355~ and then just jump to whatever temp it's supposed to be at. If i do the temp up / down trick it will be climbing still and stop at 365~ or about 10 degrees less than I want and not climb at all up to the set temperature until 2 minutes+ into the session. So i find myself starting it now at 395~ and it will effectively run in the 380's and then around the 2-3 minute mark I will lower the temperature to what I actually want it to be at and it will work correctly. Is this expected behavior?

OF

Is this expected behavior?

IMO, yes, it's to be expected. And it happens on other vapes. The 'blanking when near' is called "masking" in the trade (not just with vapes, either).

Don't confuse that temperature sensor based number with being the load temperature, it's not. Since the sensor is 'upstream' of the heat flow it can be accurate, above or below what's actually happening at the load at that moment.

Worry over such things if you wish, I prefer to base such judgements on performance. FWIW temperature changes in the load are typically a few dozen degrees during the hit in vapes like this I've measured. I haven't done this or F2 but am confident that they would read same as Solo/Air, FMs and others I have. It's the way Thermodynamics works I figure.

You (and anyone who wants to join you) can worry if you wish, I'll enjoy it for what it is as it suits me just fine.

Regards to all.

OF

wx6896

Agreed, the masking doesn't seem weird to me, because technically you could update the value as fast as the temp sensor polls/updates which would just be excessive, what's more important is constantly being around the correct temperature. As far as the heating curve goes and raising temperature during a pull, that seems more like personal preference, hence why the update isn't mandatory - if you feel extraction is taking too long by all means send it in for an update, but I think everything will get extracted eventually either way.

TVapes

Sorry if I triggered you guys, seems like it must be a common question or something so excuse my ignorance.. This is my first vape that has a digital temperature read out, and first convection vaporizer. I am not worried about it if it's normal which is why I asked.

Thanks!

wx6896

Sorry if I triggered you guys, seems like it must be a common question or something so excuse my ignorance.. This is my first vape that has a digital temperature read out, and first convection vaporizer. I am not worried about it if it's normal which is why I asked.

Thanks!

Not at all! I think Troy's review has opened up some interesting discussion on the topic of "power" vs "preference" and what we think is normal behavior for a vaporizer, because to be honest making a vape that stays at one specific temperature through and entire session would probably require much more robust temp sensors, batteries, and some sort of system to regulate them all, not too mention something that supplies enough current during a particularly long draw/cold ambient temps. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the fierce heating element could supply much more heat than necessary for the fierce, but that's purely speculation.

ohmygodimsohigh

I notice with my Fierce that it doesn't reach the actual temperature I want it to be at until 2-3 minutes into the session. E.g if I start it at 383 it will start climbing and by 60 seconds it will be at 355~ and then just jump to whatever temp it's supposed to be at. If i do the temp up / down trick it will be climbing still and stop at 365~ or about 10 degrees less than I want and not climb at all up to the set temperature until 2 minutes+ into the session. So i find myself starting it now at 395~ and it will effectively run in the 380's and then around the 2-3 minute mark I will lower the temperature to what I actually want it to be at and it will work correctly. Is this expected behavior?

Wow

I just confirmed that my Fierce (the one I didn't send in to get updated) does this too to some degree.
I don't think it should. I think it's lazy programming.

The good news is Healthy Rips has a fix. You just need to send your vape back to get it updated.

I don't have the updated version yet, but I'm optimistic after talking with Healthy Rips about.
They'll be sharing a video shortly demonstrating the updated version and I'll likely be doing the same.

HealthyRips.com

Healthy Rips Team
Company Rep
Hi All!
We wanted to show you a video that shows the results of the firmware update on our FIERCE. We demonstrate the massive vapor production at 365°F and 380°F and we share some FIERCE 'user tips' as well.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND USER TIPS: When we designed our FIERCE, we wanted very low draw resistance. This helps people with weak lungs such as medical patients and the elderly who have struggled to get a good draw with other vaporizers. This intentional free-flowing airflow could cause some air to pass through the convection heater without thoroughly heating the air ONLY if you take a very strong draw/inhale. The firmware update has significantly improved vapor production even with strong draws. However, as you see in this video, you will maximize vapor production when you take medium strength draws.

Our FIERCE has more convection heating than our FURY 2. With this additional convection, combined with its extra airflow, our FIERCE will outperform any portable vaporizer on the market with this simple technique:
1. Do not pack your material (watch the video).
2. Do a few 'cigar puffs' to get the convection heating really pumping (watch the video).
3. On long draws, take a slow to medium draw/inhale (watch the video).

Even if you don't use this technique to maximize your vapor production, we know that you will fall in love with our FIERCE. All units being sold from our website and our authorized dealers have been firmware updated. Buy with confidence :).

Enjoy the video!
Healthy Rips Team
https://www.healthyrips.com

John Coaltrain

All units being sold from our website and our authorized dealers have been firmware updated. Buy with confidence . . .

I'm thinking about purchasing a Fierce from an authorized dealer in Ontario.

Just to be clear: recalling that units had to be sent back to you for the firmware update, does what you say here mean that all existing inventory that authorized dealers already had in stock for some time has been sent back to you for the firmware update, and then sent back to the dealer to sell to their customers?

Last edited:

OF

I was intending to pick one up at a local retailer around the corner, rather than wait for shipping from the US.

Understandable. I suggest the guy you should ask is the guy selling it to you. Your contract is with him, not HR (who's really not in a position to know about the local fellows stock?). The Local Dealer is the guy making the offer.......

OF

John Coaltrain

. . . Your contract is with him, not HR (who's really not in a position to know about the local fellows stock?. . .

This does seem like a pretty tall order to me; but how else, I have to wonder, might one interpret these words:

All units being sold from . . . our authorized dealers have been firmware updated.

Manity

HR should know what inventory was shipped to retailers & how they are gonna handle the firmware update for retailer inventory. And your contract is with HR by way of the warranty.

OF doesn't think that way ... He thinks that if you buy from a dealer you have to go though them which is just incorrect!

OF

HR should know what inventory was shipped to retailers & how they are gonna handle the firmware update for retailer inventory. And your contract is with HR by way of the warranty.

HR is willing to upgrade but you have no contract unless you bought from them. That's the way the law works.

HR has no real control of another guy's inventory. He can offer to upgrade existing stock, just like he does to all end users, but the offer is made locally (a new unit, complete........).

Think about it, how would a citizen in Canada file such a suit? The 'quid pro quo' requirement of contract law makes this so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quid_pro_quo

OF doesn't think that way ... He thinks that if you buy from a dealer you have to go though them which is just incorrect!

Actually I think I KNOW how this works, having been part of such a claim made against the company I worked for at the time.

This is why PIs on TV always ask for a dollar from the person asking them to help, it makes them a client with the contract that exchange establishes.

What 'proof' can you offer that I'm incorrect????

The only guy who knows the status is the guy offering it for sale.

OF

John Coaltrain

. . . HR has no real control of another guy's inventory.

Please pardon me if I'm belaboring the point, but if what you say is correct, then how to explain HR's statement:

All units being sold from . . . our authorized dealers have been firmware updated.

It would seem HR has sufficient "control of another guy's inventory" as to permit their stating what they state here.

Manity

Lets say you buy from an Authorized Dealer and said dealer goes out of business. With your logic OF the end buyer is now without warranty because the dealer is out of business even though the company is still in operation? If I buy my car at my local Ford dealership the warranty is with FORD; NOT the dealer! The dealer can provide service.

OF

Please pardon me if I'm belaboring the point, but if what you say is correct, then how to explain HR's statement:

It would seem HR has sufficient "control of another guy's inventory" as to permit their stating what they state here.

I understand what you're saying but believe he's saying 'the dealers have returned their stock for upgrades and all new shipments (since the change) are the new software'. Not the same as being able to guarantee any unit's status (without a S/N even?). Even then, it's his opinion/advice. Unless you've given him money 'or other valuable consideration' you really have no claim against him.

Lets say you buy from an Authorized Dealer and said dealer goes out of business. With your logic OF the end buyer is now without warranty because the dealer is out of business even though the company is still in operation? If I buy my car at my local Ford dealership the warranty is with FORD; NOT the dealer! The dealer can provide service.

Cars are a special case, you buy a new Ford from FMC? A used car, which you buy from someone else has no such warranty except in narrow cases (like smog control) as I understand it. Then again, I've never bought a new car.

To your question, yes if the guy you have the contract with goes out of business, you're SOL and have to depend on HRs good graces here. This is not my 'logic', it's the way Contract law works. Once again, do you have any references that say otherwise? What you think should happen isn't really germane here I think.......no, I've seen first hand how it's not.

IMO the right guy to ask about the status of the unit you're about to buy is the guy who is selling it to you. Ask 'is this the latest version', making it part of the contract. Not that HR wouldn't upgrade for you under the same conditions as offered to the rest of us, but I understand the issue is to avoid sending it to California?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract
https://www.rocketlawyer.com/article/basics-of-contract-law-cb.rl

A contract requires consideration. Requires.

Please, do you have a reference that shows I'm mistaken? I've explained why I think I'm correct. I sure don't want to be giving out incorrect advice. TIA.

OF

VivaVape

Hello vapers, I’ve read where HR has updated the firmware to the website and authorized dealer vapes. But I sent my request to have my vape tuned up but I haven’t got any response to a updated date and how to send the vape in. Does anybody or hopefully HR will read this and give me, us, an idea when the purchased vapes can be sent in and updated?

Thanks

Top Bottom