FlowerMate Vapormax V/V5.0/V5.0S/V5 Pro

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
@Stevenski so you recommend at least putting some kind of screen at the bottom of the chamber?

Well I found it did not hurt my experience YMMV. It assists with keeping the bottom screen clearer & you coudl achieve the same by making a mini puck only a mm or 2 high out of a suitably small screen (the idea is to create a small gap between the built in screen & your herb).
I just like the ceramic as it is thick, has decent sized holes for airflow & lifts the load slightly.

I never had clogging issues with my Pro but I do not "reheat" my herb so everything must be used in a single session with any conduction vape I use (even if that is multiple sessions back to back). Therefore a slightly reduced load size is not undesirable.

*The bottom screen is the least important modification compared with the mouthpiece screen & one on top of your herb. From my understanding the newer models have herb chambers & better internal screens that alleviate most of the issues.

This is good as it means Smiss is getting the feedback loud & clear. I might have imagined it but I swear I saw something about their new V3 having a Pro V3 model being released with full temp control & user replaceable battery. That could seriously go toe to toe with the Air & if it kept the heat up time could be an Air killer.

Last edited:
@Stevenski okay I see now, I didn't realize that the bottom of the chamber was actually the ceramic screen so that would make sense. I'll be able to look at it closer tomorrow when I get home. Been out of town. As well as a 4 day tolerance break should do me well when I get back:) and I actually agree with your comments about comparison to the aair. My roommate has one and they are very comparable. Even tho I think the FM heats up faster and has a better battery life. Both are great vapes!

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
That 4 day break will seem like bliss. I can only prescribe a full bowl on purple as the solution to your ailment.

Here is a diagram of how it can look for anyone curious.

TCgF3MU.jpg

@Stevenski yess I think I full bowl on purple will have me nice n toasty:) and perfect diagram on the layout. So you just like to put another ceramic screen on top of your load as well? I've just been tossin in my flower and screwin the MP on and vapin away

Boosted Nano,
Reactions: Stevenski

Hubs88

Feeling The Buzz
That 4 day break will seem like bliss. I can only prescribe a full bowl on purple as the solution to your ailment.

Here is a diagram of how it can look for anyone curious.

TCgF3MU.jpg
My first impression is that you're filling up the chamber with ceramic not bud. I just started with flowers and still not sure if it's worth it. I fill my oven with primo bud and gratitude. :)

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
@Stevenski yess I think I full bowl on purple will have me nice n toasty:) and perfect diagram on the layout. So you just like to put another ceramic screen on top of your load as well? I've just been tossin in my flower and screwin the MP on and vapin away

I only really did that to assist with the bud load sliding up & hitting the mouthpiece. I found a pretty workable combo was titanium screen in M/P & then a ceramic on your load if you remember to do so. Vapes are pretty hard to break unless you do something silly with them so experiment to find the combo that works for you. None of the tips & tricks came about thorough anything but trial & error by the community.

Stevenski,
Reactions: OF

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
My first impression is that you're filling up the chamber with ceramic not bud. I just started with flowers and still not sure if it's worth it. I fill my oven with primo bud and gratitude. :)

There is a reason for that & it is only a loss of 10-15% of the chamber size that is reduced by using 2 screens. You may have missed the original point

I do not "reheat" my herb so everything must be used in a single session with any conduction vape I use (even if that is multiple sessions back to back). Therefore a slightly reduced load size is not undesirable.

Hubs88

Feeling The Buzz
There is a reason for that & it is only a loss of 10-15% of the chamber size that is reduced by using 2 screens. You may have missed the original point
I see, it's like a one hitter. Small loads are what you want then.

Hubs88,

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
I see, it's like a one hitter. Small loads are what you want then.

Not at all Hubs88. My preference would be for the unit to have a slightly longer session timeout & I would prefer to have two smaller loads that last a session each. That way I start each session with tasty flavour & finish with that popcorn taste rather than restarting a session with the ABV taste. Sorta like if you drink a bottle of wine & I decant it first. We both end up pissed from enjoying the wine & that is what matters :)

If I want to have a one hitter I will break out my EQ @230 & do .1 in a single hit through a big bong the problem then is that I think I deserve 3 or 4 back to back like in my smoking days & that never ends well. Whilst typing this post I have sipped & very much enjoyed 2, 1/2 Air stems rather than 1 full one. I still vaped .2 in the same time frame but had what felt like 2 sessions back to back.

@Stevenski ah I seee ya I noticed after the first sesh that some gets stuck to the MP screen so I'll have to mess around with that tomorrow if I'm not too incapacitated after 1 load haha

That's the name of the game, keep that sweet airflow up. I found using a bottom ceramic screen a pain in the arse but one on top with a mouthpiece screen lets the FM be all it can be. If you wipe out your FM once a week with a Iso dampened cotton bud I don't see problems in the future.

Stevenski,

Putricio

Interesting. I was just about to pull the trigger on a Mini. I wonder if the pods they use now, will retro fit the original Mini. Seems like they will.

Putricio,

OF

Interesting. I was just about to pull the trigger on a Mini. I wonder if the pods they use now, will retro fit the original Mini. Seems like they will.

Yes, they do. At least mine did when I tried.....

OF

OF,

FlowerPowerMate

Greetings friendly people.

I have been using my Flowermate V5.0s for about half a year now and our relationship is still going strong. But... after using it about a thousand times it is getting a little dirty :p
Of course I have cleaned the mouthpiece a few times and cleaned the chamber with the cleaning tools... but still there's some brownish residue (mostly on the walls of the chamber).
I was wondering if you had some tips for me :)
Are any of the build in screens replaceable?
Is there a way to clean the chamber even better? (I suppose pouring some pure alcohol in it will be a very very stupid idea... xD)

Kind regards.

OF

How was your experience with the new pods OF?

None yet to report, not to worry I won't be shy. I hope to find time in the next few days. I've loaded the oil cart, nicely made but awkward to load. Not worth a mention, really.

Edit: OK curse the guy that planted the seed, I dug out the 'pods' and decided to try the concentrate one first. Short story is it seems to work way too well to consider testing the herb version (sure to be more exhaustive) anytime soon. This is a handful for sure.

It's a SS cartridge with legs to keep it off the bottom, several holes to let air through, cotton filling and a single larger hole in the lid. It's a tight fit in the chamber, I had to pull the screen I put in the V3 out to get the MP to screw down right. The instructions (in the V3 booklet) call for dripping down the big hole, forget that, I unscrewed the cap instead. Solid hashes go in the cap (there's a short tube at the hole making a bit of a doughnut shaped trench to hold it) and you load the cart 'upside down' in that case. They call for "at least 5 drops, .2 to .3ml". The CO2 oil I'm using doesn't drop, I winged it a bit more than you'd normally put in a load as you go vape pen.

It made plenty (for me) of very nice vapor, but it takes a long time to fully recover. Like a minute. So with the V3 you get maybe 3 hits after it heats up before it times out. But that was enough.......

I later tried it in my Mini, hey, it works there too! Kind of a PITA to load the cart but it could be instant conversion from herb to oil. And two carts fit in the 5ml snap top 'centrifuge tubes' I have all over right now.

Even if the herb version is a bust, this one has promise for using concentrates in the FM.

Of course I have cleaned the mouthpiece a few times and cleaned the chamber with the cleaning tools... but still there's some brownish residue (mostly on the walls of the chamber).
I was wondering if you had some tips for me :)
Are any of the build in screens replaceable?

First off, howdy! Welcome to the Forum. Good call on FM, glad you're enjoying yours.

I think many/most of us 'scale' the walls with the tool provided. That is chip carefully when it's very cold, most flakes off pretty easily. I don't obsess with getting it all since it's going to get dirty again real soon. I clean my stems in Powdered Brewery Wash, a detergent, rather than ISO. Cheaper, safer and more effective I think. You can order it on line or buy from shops that sell home brewing supplies. Lots of discussion on it here:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/pbw-the-chemistry-of-clean.7854/

Some guys have managed to get the lower screen out with some effort, most opening it up using a needle from below I think? Not sure where you get a replacement but a 1/2 inch fine mesh SS screen should work fine, it's what I'm running in my new style Pro (which comes with no metal screen on the bottom) so the size is right anyway.

OF

Last edited:

FlowerPowerMate

I don't obsess with getting it all since it's going to get dirty again real soon.

Myeeaaah, me neither xD
But at some point the taste get's kinda nasty...
Thanks for the tips! I'll try to get some PBW somewhere, although it might be a little harder in the Netherlands.

Sorry for being a large newby by the way, but I was also wondering if anyone had some experience with different kind of herbs.
Untill now I couldn't really find anything fun except for weed.
Hasj gets way too sticky in it I think.
Lavender is kinda tasty, but doesn't have any effect.
Baybean can be kinda fun, but again, not that much effect.
Has anyone tried DMT or Salvia?
Or does anyone know anything else that tastes good, feels good, or has some tips on how to be able to vape hasj without the cleaningstruggles?

Mod note: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
FlowerPowerMate,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Check the "vaporizables" forum section for that and please keep it out of product discussion threads. You will find everything you asked and some more over there.

OF

Myeeaaah, me neither xD
But at some point the taste get's kinda nasty...
Thanks for the tips! I'll try to get some PBW somewhere, although it might be a little harder in the Netherlands.

You might check tDub's thread, I recall some discussion of EU sources (and substitutes). It's available from Amazon. If you have home brewing shops they typically carry it (it was developed by Coors for beer making equipment at a commercial level).

Other detergents will also work, but this one is optimized to do just what we want very well.

Good luck with it. IMO it's worth the effort. You can clean oil from your hands with gasoline, but most of us use soap.....

OF

OF,

Putricio

I'm gonna pick up a FM Mini on PIU tomorrow. They have a sale on them and they show that the new Minis come with updated titanium screens for the bottom of the bowl and mouthpiece. I'm looking forward to testing out the dry herb pods too. Looks like it would be kind of a mini Cloud Evo. I found the 5ml plastic centrifuge tubes on eBay and they are very cheap. I think keeping a few pre-filled pods in the tubes for on the go use would be great.

Putricio,

OF

I'm gonna pick up a FM Mini on PIU tomorrow. They have a sale on them and they show that the new Minis come with updated titanium screens for the bottom of the bowl and mouthpiece.

Fer sure. Randy has a path straight to my 'buy this one' center. He got my money for a Mini when they first came out (email notice, shouldn't have given him my address.....). Then, when the sale came up, I couldn't pass up a backup one.....it's now on it's second loan out, sure to generate another sale for PIU.

Man knows how to find, entice and support customers. He's buying the family Christmas presents with my money (far more than a couple Minis this year....), as well he should. A truly great resource for us.

Thanks and best wishes.

OF

OF

How was your experience with the new pods OF?

Gentle friends, after this mornings positive results with the concentrate pod I decided to press on with the herb version. After fumbling with it for a few minutes when I first got it and finding the herb pod very difficult to load without making a big old mess I ordered FM's new grinder/loading tool, "Load-X":
http://www.puffitup.com/Flowermate-LoadX-Grinder-Loader-p/fm.108_grind.htm

While (as so often happens) the literature leaves a guy scratching his head the product itself is very well designed and made IMO. It comes with two pods which the literature says are two sizes, one 9.3mm for normal loads, the other 12mm for larger loads. The literature also says the loader loads either size but says you have to load both sides with the same size.

Sounds interesting, but that's not what happened. The two supplied are identical, both 9.3mm matching the one that came with the V3. No way 12mm would fit the loader or the vape. I haven't any idea what's up here, perhaps some future vape.....but this loader won't cover it.

The loader is well designed I think, it grinds like the Volcano grinder does, with triangular 'dragon teeth' that shred rather than chop, in the normal manner (magnetically latched). You put two pods (or one and the supplied rubber plug to prevent leaks) in the bottom and screw it on. A shutter opens with the last 30 degrees or so of rotation automatically. Ground herb is then placed into the top of the center section (from the top which is half the grinder). The floor of the middle section has two shallow funnels leading to the open pods through the shutter. You poke them both full with the provided tool stored in the top section. Unscrewing the bottom again closes the sutter than opens up so you can pluck the full pods out and put the caps on. The bottom and sides of the pods are perforated, vapor has an easy way out but heating is slow since there's no good conduction path (the pod rattles).

That's the good part, the pods are easy to load with the aftermarket loader. The bad part is they don't really work all that well. They hold about 1/8 gram, .264 grams per pair, about what the oven normally holds. So the loads are now half size. And the recovery time between hits is much longer (like a full minute) which makes the session slow and long and eats up the battery. And it it up it does. It takes me 3 full five minutes cycles to exhaust the pod, ten or 12 pretty thin hits spaced way apart. Then again, what would you expect from a tiny load with poor heat transfer? I'm wondering how they do with bubble hash.....the Thermovape Cear LL cart was gangbusters with bubble.....

It is fast at reloads of course, provided you have an asbestos glove on your hand, remember it's 400F and made of stainless steel. Pick it up when hot and you'll put it back down fast. You might get away say dumping it in a shirt pocket? Loading a fresh cool one is safe enough of course.

V3 has a modest battery, 1300mAh. 3 sessions on low heat uses up about 530mAh so you can do two but not 3 pods on a charge. 1/4 gram total, not much. The Mini should do four pods with it's 2300 or so mAh, the larger ones twice that.....give or take. OK, but not great? You could easily do twice as much total herb in that time/charge without the pods. Not only would the hits be denser but you can take them closer together.

The real star is the concentrate pod I think. It can hold several sessions worth and provided there's no extra screen it fits nice and snug. Very fast conversion from herb to concentrate and back? If you don't burn yourself.

BTW bumping the temperature up spoiled the taste but didn't do much for shortening the recovery time as you might expect. It's just slow recovering since conduction basically breaks down and we fall back on convection to heat. The herb roasts slowly but uniformly.

More testing is in order, but right now I'm recommending the concentrate cart for your consideration but while the Load-X is nice you're unlikely to be using it much.....those tiny pods just aren't that useful IMO. At least not yet.

Merry Christmas to all our readers, wherever you are.

OF

Putricio

The larger pod is for a new product that Flowernate is working on. There is a video on YouTube demonstrating the new grinder/pod combo. The guy in the video mentions the larger pod is for a new product.

Putricio,

OF

The larger pod is for a new product that Flowernate is working on. There is a video on YouTube demonstrating the new grinder/pod combo. The guy in the video mentions the larger pod is for a new product.

That makes sense, but it can't be with the exact same loader I have as claimed since the wells in the bottom are both too small to accept a larger diameter and the holes in the shutter would be too small (blocking the edges of the larger pod)????

Perhaps changing the bottom and center sections (something not described)?

At the very least, the literature and advertising is wrong at present.

Time will tell. Thanks for the confirmation.

OF

Top Bottom