Lizard King

I think there maybe something wrong with my flashvape because as someone who hasn't combusted in the launch box in quite some time I can't seem to get through an S2 session without burning up my load. I've tried different techniques and still I find the flashvape much more comtrolable with out the spacer and using the 3.2v cells. I ve noticed that in s2 my screen will begin glowing red after just 3 seconds , Is this abnormal? I'm not sure if its something I'm doing wrong but I seems like you all find the s2 kit much more enjoying and controlable.

My experience is that the unit calms down after a while...

Lizard King,

ehakim

I would think that battery degeneration over time would be the factor that would make it "calm down" after a while

ehakim,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I think there maybe something wrong with my flashvape because as someone who hasn't combusted in the launch box in quite some time I can't seem to get through an S2 session without burning up my load. I've tried different techniques and still I find the flashvape much more comtrolable with out the spacer and using the 3.2v cells. I ve noticed that in s2 my screen will begin glowing red after just 3 seconds , Is this abnormal? I'm not sure if its something I'm doing wrong but I seems like you all find the s2 kit much more enjoying and controlable.

Use it inverted for the first two or three hits. I agree with Lizard King, it will probably cool off a little once you've done a dozen bowls or so. I know mine did, but it's still pretty hot and I have to be careful right after a battery swap. That's why I've taken to doing the first few hits inverted.

Vapodudule

I lend mine to a newbie, he heard my pieces of advice but we failed to avoid combustion on the 3rd cloud of the load.

i noticed that the heating screen on heating is quite deforming

Vapodudule,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I lend mine to a newbie, he heard my pieces of advice but we failed to avoid combustion on the 3rd cloud of the load.

i noticed that the heating screen on heating is quite deforming

You mean the bottom screen is deforming? In what way?

pakalolo,

Vapodudule

You mean the bottom screen is deforming? In what way?

when the HE is heating, there is a clear deformation of it (heat expansion surely). i did not decide if it was remanent or not but from experience, i(we?) know HE looses his efficiency over time. I suspect also that small cracks on few cross of HE mesh could occur as corrosion could be speed up. a microscope (i have not) view could check.

Vapodudule,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
when the HE is heating, there is a clear deformation of it (heat expansion surely). i did not decide if it was remanent or not but from experience, i(we?) know HE looses his efficiency over time. I suspect also that small cracks on few cross of HE mesh could occur as corrosion could be speed up. a microscope (i have not) view could check.

I've tried that sort of microscopic examination. It's not as easy as you'd think to tell if connections are getting broken. I'll observe mine more carefully and look for signs of expansion. It's not something I've noticed before, that's for sure.

pakalolo,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I find that inconsistent with my FV's and XP's. I have owned both units for more than a few months.

I can't get 1/3 the clouds I get with INH on 9 than I can using any technique with the FV. I get bigger clouds on 4 with the XP than the FV. With the FV you have to pay attention to airflow. draw too hard and the vaporization will stop. Not so much with the XP. Slow draw, fast draw all work well. Flavor is better on the FV and its hard not to like the 10 second warm up time.

My XP produces better clouds than any desktop vape I've used except for the cloud. This thing is a monster... better than my vapolution, vapor bros, ssv, and my ExtremeQ. That said the Solo also produces fatter clouds than any of those desktop vapes IMO as well.

I do like my FV, Its my goto choice for quick and easy sessions where flavor is more important. My replacement unit has been getting a lot of use. You might want to keep the FV leftovers around because INH can extract quite a bit more from them......

I don't own and have never tried the Inhalater, but I know quite a bit about the FV and my experience does not match yours. In order not to derail the XP thread, I'm bringing this to the FV thread.

It seems to me that you must be using an old FV in conduction mode. In convection mode you can pull as hard as you like. Also, even my old cold SB FV in conduction mode doesn't take 10 seconds before I hit combustion. Yours must run really cold indeed. I can pull a cloud out of both of my FVs without much effort, especially if I attach that little bubbler. Of course I can't compare the results to the Inhalater, but even friends who have never used the FV can pull clouds out of it in convection mode pretty easily, especially if it's inverted.

PS Dear back-to-back post reporters, the edit window has expired. Yes, I can merge these anyway. No, I won't do it.

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
I don't own and have never tried the Inhalater, but I know quite a bit about the FV and my experience does not match yours. In order not to derail the XP thread, I'm bringing this to the FV thread.

It seems to me that you must be using an old FV in conduction mode. In convection mode you can pull as hard as you like. Also, even my old cold SB FV in conduction mode doesn't take 10 seconds before I hit combustion. Yours must run really cold indeed. I can pull a cloud out of both of my FVs without much effort, especially if I attach that little bubbler. Of course I can't compare the results to the Inhalater, but even friends who have never used the FV can pull clouds out of it in convection mode pretty easily, especially if it's inverted.

PS Dear back-to-back post reporters, the edit window has expired. Yes, I can merge these anyway. No, I won't do it.

Well that must be 2 for 2. My 2nd unit works consistent with the first.

I have an S2 with Spacer and I have even done S2 without spacer. I can hit the power button for 10 seconds with S2 bateries and not even draw and it wont combust.
If I pull really hard I get NO vapor. I like this vape but it doesn't produce vapor like my solo, my INH or my buddies pax's.

My 2nd unit has cooled off now in the 2 weeks since I got the replacement.

I can pull clouds. They are small clouds. 10x what you get from an MFLB but not in the league of a solo, xp or pax. not even close. I can't imagine ever coughing from a FV hit?

Generally with the FV I hit the power for 5 seconds and then begin a slow draw for another 15 seconds. I get nice flavorful hits and small clouds similar to a solo on 2-3. reminds me a lot of a TV T1 except it heats up faster and is easier to use.

What do you suggest?

ru_frothi,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
ru_frothi have you flipped the batteries over ? It made a huge difference in the heat up time in my FV .

I kinda thought these guys talking about combusting in the FV were nuts , then I inserted the battery positive end down and now it cranks . It is a simple thing to try and can't hurt , nobody has said why this helps but it does . just my :2c: , as it worked for me .

Before I flipped the battery I had to use it in conduction mode with the S2 3.7v batteries in order to get a good hit, now my FlashVape will combust in seconds that way and S2 mode is Awesome .

Before not so much .

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Well that must be 2 for 2. My 2nd unit works consistent with the first.

I have an S2 with Spacer and I have even done S2 without spacer. I can hit the power button for 10 seconds with S2 bateries and not even draw and it wont combust.
If I pull really hard I get NO vapor. I like this vape but it doesn't produce vapor like my solo, my INH or my buddies pax's.

My 2nd unit has cooled off now in the 2 weeks since I got the replacement.

I can pull clouds. They are small clouds. 10x what you get from an MFLB but not in the league of a solo, xp or pax. not even close. I can't imagine ever coughing from a FV hit?

Generally with the FV I hit the power for 5 seconds and then begin a slow draw for another 15 seconds. I get nice flavorful hits and small clouds similar to a solo on 2-3. reminds me a lot of a TV T1 except it heats up faster and is easier to use.

What do you suggest?

I just retested and my old SB FV doesn't combust quite that quickly in S2 anymore, now it takes 12 seconds. Going 10 seconds without spacer and 3.7V batteries is insane. I got combustion at 7 seconds configured like that, and this is the FV that I consider cold. I won't even bother testing the GM, which has cooled down somewhat but is still much hotter than the SB. Since you say both FVs are consistent, I'm really suspicious of your batteries. This behaviour is not typical of the FVs I've tried, nor is it consistent with most posts in this thread. Clearly, if you can't get the FV properly heated up, you won't be able to get the big clouds.

I don't think technique will solve your problem. What you describe is good and should work, except that 15 seconds might be a little long with a properly performing FV.

ru_frothi have you flipped the batteries over ? It made a huge difference in the heat up time in my FV .

I kinda thought these guys talking about combusting in the FV were nuts , then I inserted the battery positive end down and now it cranks . It is a simple thing to try and can't hurt , nobody has said why this helps but it does . just my :2c: , as it worked for me .

Before I flipped the battery I had to use it in conduction mode with the S2 3.7v batteries in order to get a good hit, now my FlashVape will combust in seconds that way and S2 mode is Awesome .

Before not so much .

Good suggestion. I did get some differences when I started flipping the batteries, but not as dramatic as you describe. Definitely worth trying though.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
It did make a huge difference with my unit . Before reversing the batteries It would take at least 10 - 15 seconds on the power to get the Heating element to glow now it glows in about 5 seconds . :tup:

I was amazed with the change .

RUDE BOY,

lazylathe

Almost there...
First impressions of the FlashVape:

We have been together for a day now.
Last night i watched as the batteries charged and went to bed, the light was still red.
Wake and bake because it the weekend!! Not!!
This vape requires a learning curve or the batteries are no good. Also tried inverting them with no luck.
Managed to get a small hit off half a bowl, no too impressed yet.

Clean out the vape and install the S2 kit, it looks cool so i think it is going to work as well.
Load it up with a 3/4 bowl of Jack, while doing this i mutter to myself "This thing uses a LOT of herb!"
Way more than my Vap 2.0 or E-Nano!
Place the top on and hit the power button.
5 seconds and nothing. Tried inhaling slowly and got a bit of a taste.
10 seconds and i start to see whisps of vapour.
Finally a small cloud escapes me!!
Hold the button down for longer and longer...
15 to 20 seconds at a time to get vapor to form and exhale small clouds.
Shake and 20 seconds again to get vapour...
Got a few small hits off what i consider to be a large load.
Cannot hold onto the vape anymore because it is burning my hand!! Not cool in my books...

More practise will be required to see if i can get better results.

lazylathe,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
lazylathe you don't have to fill it up , you can use as little herb as you like .

The FV does have a bit of a learning curve but I'm sure you can get it down fairly quick .
It sounds like you just need a little more time with it .

One thing in your explanation of how your using it sounds off , sounds like your laying on the power too long before hitting it .

Hit the power wait 2-4 seconds then start hitting it with the power on with very a slow draw or even better IMHO take microhits . Shake between hits without the power on .

In S2 mode you don't have to shake it quite so much and if you keep heating it up for up to 20 seconds then hitting it taking say 26-30 seconds for a hit (enough time to take 3 solid hits) it will get hot and eat up your herb . I don't use the glass top to tell when there's vapor but by the taste and the heat produced .

Don't give up I think the FlashVape will serve you well . :peace: "its a beast a beast I say "

EDIT: Hope this makes sense I just got baked on 0.17 gm with my FlashVape .

RUDE BOY,
Reactions: ShipDit

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
First impressions of the FlashVape:

We have been together for a day now.
Last night i watched as the batteries charged and went to bed, the light was still red.
Wake and bake because it the weekend!! Not!!
This vape requires a learning curve or the batteries are no good. Also tried inverting them with no luck.
Managed to get a small hit off half a bowl, no too impressed yet.

Clean out the vape and install the S2 kit, it looks cool so i think it is going to work as well.
Load it up with a 3/4 bowl of Jack, while doing this i mutter to myself "This thing uses a LOT of herb!"
Way more than my Vap 2.0 or E-Nano!
Place the top on and hit the power button.
5 seconds and nothing. Tried inhaling slowly and got a bit of a taste.
10 seconds and i start to see whisps of vapour.
Finally a small cloud escapes me!!
Hold the button down for longer and longer...
15 to 20 seconds at a time to get vapor to form and exhale small clouds.
Shake and 20 seconds again to get vapour...
Got a few small hits off what i consider to be a large load.
Cannot hold onto the vape anymore because it is burning my hand!! Not cool in my books...

More practise will be required to see if i can get better results.

As RUDE BOY said, you don't need to load that much. My normal load is about .07-.08g, which just barely covers the screen.

It sounds to me as though the screen isn't heating up properly. Remove the tabbed screen and the spacer, put in a fully charged 3.7V (Stage 2) battery, then take the FV into a dark room and hit the power button. How long does it take to glow, how bright does it glow, and are there any hot spots? With the S2 battery the heating screen should glow within 2-3 seconds, and heat to cherry red in about 5. There shouldn't be any hot spots.

lazylathe

Almost there...
As RUDE BOY said, you don't need to load that much. My normal load is about .07-.08g, which just barely covers the screen.

It sounds to me as though the screen isn't heating up properly. Remove the tabbed screen and the spacer, put in a fully charged 3.7V (Stage 2) battery, then take the FV into a dark room and hit the power button. How long does it take to glow, how bright does it glow, and are there any hot spots? With the S2 battery the heating screen should glow within 2-3 seconds, and heat to cherry red in about 5. There shouldn't be any hot spots.

Thanks for the info Pakalolo!!
It takes about 5 seconds to glow a dull red and that is mostly on one side of the heating element.
After 10 to 15 seconds it glows a bit brighter and then it starts to fade very rapidly.
The area of the heating element closest to the heating button did not glow at all.

Is the unit faulty?
Is there a way to fix the vape?
I am assuming i need a hew heating element screen?

Thanks for all the help!!

lazylathe,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Thanks for the info Pakalolo!!
It takes about 5 seconds to glow a dull red and that is mostly on one side of the heating element.
After 10 to 15 seconds it glows a bit brighter and then it starts to fade very rapidly.
The area of the heating element closest to the heating button did not glow at all.

Is the unit faulty?
Is there a way to fix the vape?
I am assuming i need a hew heating element screen?

Thanks for all the help!!

That implicates the heating screen but you might not need a new one. You can try re-seating it, perhaps rotated 180°. If that doesn't work then you probably need a new screen. Be careful not to damage the screen when you lift the pins. The pins won't lie perfectly flat when you bend them back but the ceramic bowl will hold them in place properly when you tighten the top.

pakalolo,
Reactions: lazylathe

lazylathe

Almost there...
That implicates the heating screen but you might not need a new one. You can try re-seating it, perhaps rotated 180°. If that doesn't work then you probably need a new screen. Be careful not to damage the screen when you lift the pins. The pins won't lie perfectly flat when you bend them back but the ceramic bowl will hold them in place properly when you tighten the top.

Flipped the screen and it is even worse now.
It has hot spots only now and no even heating of the element.
I guess it is new screen time?

lazylathe,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Flipped the screen and it is even worse now.
It has hot spots only now and no even heating of the element.
I guess it is new screen time?

Eeek! It's not seated properly for sure now. The hot spots are damage points. Definitely new screen time. I suppose there's nothing to be lost by trying again in the original orientation.

I should also point out that I haven't asked FlashVAPE if my advice is good or not. Perhaps people should hold off until we hear one way or the other. I suggested that based on my own experience, but I didn't have the outcome you reported. I hope my suggestion didn't make the problem worse.

lazylathe

Almost there...
Eeek! It's not seated properly for sure now. The hot spots are damage points. Definitely new screen time. I suppose there's nothing to be lost by trying again in the original orientation.

I should also point out that I haven't asked FlashVAPE if my advice is good or not. Perhaps people should hold off until we hear one way or the other. I suggested that based on my own experience, but I didn't have the outcome you reported. I hope my suggestion didn't make the problem worse.

No worries!!
I may even send it in to have it checked out and fixed correctly!
It is 5 months old and second hand so it may need a bit of a rebuild.

lazylathe,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi, I've got my replacement unit for 2 weeks now , like my first unit I work really hot the first day and it calm down after, but this one seems to keep good performs, i get vapor after count 4s to 6s (fresh cell) and I don't want to try when I combust(between 12 and 18 i think, it depends how I'm drawing).
Reverse the batterie make unit a few hotter but it's not spectacular.
I read before a complain about FV size clouds, I get clouds, not like my Xp or my pluggin vape but I think that it's not the job of the FV, it's nice because yoiu can take a draw or 2 and put it on the table, I use not to do a session but like I explain before, sometime I start my bowl the evening and I finish it in the morning, it's a nice vape in the bath, when i'm cooking...

the only issue is that my 2 olders 3.7V cells becomes to die faster, perhaps I'll order 2 news .

I like this vape and I think that I'll keep it! Good vape for everybody

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
No worries!!
I may even send it in to have it checked out and fixed correctly!
It is 5 months old and second hand so it may need a bit of a rebuild.

Just doing some catch up here.
These heat variances are my observations as well. Also, the calming down also seems to hold true with what I have found with my units.
What I do when the unit seems to be getting weak in the heat department, is loosen the connections and re-tighten them as tight as possible. This generally bring it back up. The main culprit seems to be the connection just under the silver button at the top side of battery. I'll bet most did not know it opens there. There is an O ring there which makes the connection feel mushy for the last 1/4 turn or so. I removed this O ring so I can feel the tightness. Again the initial units were glued here but newer ones can be easily opened for inspection and cleaning if need be.
Also, as batteries wear down, I use my lesser performers upside down and my newer batteries right side up. Tends to even out the performance a little.
After 3 months of use I have just retired 2 batteries and 2 more showing signs of age. 2 newer ones in the mix now to replace the retired ones.
Not too bad actually considering how hard we treat them.
A tip for those removing the upper HE retainer. NEVER turn it on while exposed. In fact, remove the battery if you open. If you heat it with top off and copper retaining posts not pushing hard against the screen it will arc and burn along the contact groove. This destroys the HE and causes failure in seconds.

EDIT: sorry for what looks like double posting. I thought I posted and did not go through. (An odd delay) so I rewrote it.

mod note: It didn't just look like double-posting, it was double-posting. Two posts merged and duplicate content removed to preserve your Likes. Don't say we never do anything for ya.

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
If you heat it with top off and copper retaining posts not pushing hard against the screen it will arc and burn along the contact groove.

Will new uses for this device ever cease to be discovered?

Can anyone say The FlashVape Mini Stun Baton?

So imagine this.... you're sitting wherever it is that you sit, vaping whatever it is that you vape, thinking what a great day it is, when suddenly you're interupted. So you quickly unscrew the top, remove the ceramic heat chamber, point the device at the intruder with your finger on the silver trigger and exclaim "Back Off Man! I'm Vaping!" :goon:

PPN

Volute of Vapor
my FV is the better vape that I have to work with pure kief, it produce a large amount of vapor, my others vapes (HA, Cloud,Xp,;..) work with kief but don't produce lot of vapor except if I make a mix abv/kief(but it's not good for taste).
I dedicace a screen to pure kief, I put it on my other flower screen so i have 2 screens, I make powder of kief, i put it in the bowl and I push on at least 10s to get vapor, now I use it just for kief.

Top Bottom