natural farmer

I had to replace the screen once when I pressed too hard with the brush and it came off and it did tried my patience... I am sure it's gonna be easier next time though and my humble opinion is that you spare the costs and do it only if you see a great interest from a good number of customers.

natural farmer,

FlashVAPE

...fast and efficient ! http://flashvape.com
Manufacturer
... that screen is actually not that hard to put back in once you get the hang of it... just take the o-ring out first, and put the screen's folded sides into the circular slot, making sure it is seated and centered. Then, push one side of the o-ring into the slot first, and press and hold it down with your finger tip. Now, with that one small section secured, slide and press the rest of the o-ring into place in a circular motion with the tip of your fingernail until you make your way all the way around (a tiny bit of stretching is required as you make it past the 1/2 way point). Now with the o-ring placed into the circular slot, carefully press down on the o-ring all the way around once again with the tip of your finger nail or a small blunt pointed tool, pushing the o-ring firmly in place into the slot, for a tight fit. The filter screen is now securely in place and ready to use.

natural farmer

I am sure it's easy mate... :) I just mentioned my first experience while baked and trying very hastily to put it back. That's why I said I don't find that toolset necessary unless you have some customers that "really" need it... ;)

Atman

I am brand new to vaporizers and the FlashVape has been my first purchase. So far, I absolutely love it. My only concern is that I have combusted a few times. My only concern with the combustion is if I am doing any damage to the unit?

I know from reading in this thread that discoloration of the heating element screen is normal but it concerns me nonetheless. Usually the combustion happens when I'm almost done toking for the night and am getting a little sloppy.

Can you advise if I am doing any damage to the unit when I combust? Just need to know how important it is to not combust.

Atman,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I am brand new to vaporizers and the FlashVape has been my first purchase. So far, I absolutely love it. My only concern is that I have combusted a few times. My only concern with the combustion is if I am doing any damage to the unit?

I know from reading in this thread that discoloration of the heating element screen is normal but it concerns me nonetheless. Usually the combustion happens when I'm almost done toking for the night and am getting a little sloppy.

Can you advise if I am doing any damage to the unit when I combust? Just need to know how important it is to not combust.

When I hit combustion, I immediately yank the swivel cap off and dump out the load. What do you do?

I've reached combustion several times deliberately since I was testing for limits. I've not done any permanent damage. The only real problem has been a nasty taste that lingered for a bowl or two. That was before I discovered that if you clean the top screen carefully (emphasis added here for reasons I will discuss in a later post) then you can eliminate the burnt taste right away.

You can avoid combustion in the FV with careful and consistent counting until you develop a feel for what the vapour is telling you. That's how the instructions tell you to start out. Sloppiness will definitely do you in since half a second too long on the button can be critical. Another problem that you might be having is that as your load turns into ABV it gets drier and so easier to ignite. Try reducing your power-on time by a second for those later hits.

Tweek

For the newcomers, it may also help to start drawing a bit earlier than you feel you have to, and while drawing slowly feel for the temperature of the vapour with your tongue. Back off when you feel it getting too warm, or tasting too strong.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
It turns out that ceramic is pretty abrasive stuff. Apparently, if stainless steel mesh is constantly rubbed against it, the mesh loses:

hNqa8xX.jpg

This is my top screen, obviously the worse for wear. Please note that this is the result of user error, not premature materials failure or a design flaw. This can be avoided, as I'll explain.

I've removed the top of my swivel cap a few times to clean the screen from that side. I've done this after combustion events and a couple of times when the screen got especially clogged from a sticky load. Apparently one of those time I got too aggressive with the brush, forcing the screen slightly out of place enough so that it was scraping against the ceramic top. I also happen to like to twist the swivel cap idly back and forth while I'm holding the FV just because I like how smooth the action is. :mental: Yeah I'm weird.

Don't do this at home, kids. Let my pain be your warning. You can see the result. The mesh has started to break and tear. It has progressed a little since I first discovered it but it in no way affects performance. It would have to be a pretty large rip before it made any difference, and even then it would only be a matter of getting particulate in your mouth. Meanwhile, the up side is that I've been in touch with FlashVAPE and now I get to try out the top screen replacement procedure. Watch this space.

I should mention that I discovered this tear when I wiped the screen with a paper towel and it snagged. I'd appreciate it if you FV owners could just gently wipe around the perimeter of your top screen and see if you get a snag. Finally, a couple of important maintenance points:
  • If you remove the top and clean the top screen from that side, do not poke or push hard against the screen.
  • Whenever you clean or replace the top screen, you final step should be to make sure that it is mounted flat and nothing protrudes enough to rub against the ceramic top.
This public service announcement brought to you by pakalolo, nobly sacrificing himself for the benefit of vaporists everywhere.

Pilgrim

Hey I'm thinking about purchasing a FlashVape, but have a few questions.
How discreet is the packaging?
Are there any other models I should be considering at or around this price point? MFLB?
How is it on batteries? Do I need more/a better charger?
Is there anything else I should know that might cause me to choose or not choose this vape?

OF

You can avoid combustion in the FV with careful and consistent counting until you develop a feel for what the vapour is telling you. That's how the instructions tell you to start out. Sloppiness will definitely do you in since half a second too long on the button can be critical.

I think this is exactly the case. The line between 'a little bigger cloud than last time' and 'oh, SHIT!' is mighty fine indeed. Someone suggested 'counting down' I found that worked best for me. Key it on then pretend your're sending men to the moon (often not far off...), "5, 4, 3, 2, 1, vape!" If I'm going for one of the more advanced techniques, I count up from there: "5, 4, 3, 2, 1, vape, 1, 2, 3, power off (keep pulling)". Sound silly, but works well IMO.

It turns out that ceramic is pretty abrasive stuff. Apparently, if stainless steel mesh is constantly rubbed against it, the mesh loses:

I should mention that I discovered this tear when I wiped the screen with a paper towel and it snagged. I'd appreciate it if you FV owners could just gently wipe around the perimeter of your top screen and see if you get a snag.

This public service announcement brought to you by pakalolo, nobly sacrificing himself for the benefit of vaporists everywhere.

No surprise to me, you can sharpen kitchen knives on the stuff after all, and they're a whole lot tougher than 300 series SS mesh. The mesh don't stand a chance.

I just checked mine very carefully, no sign of this problem. Then again, the only time I ever cleaned up there was after a 'combustion experiment' and I took off the lid and boiled it in place (no contact with the screen) and when I brush I do so very lightly with a camel's hair brush (not the normal shortened hog bristle ones I use for MFLB and elsewhere). IMO not touching it is the best option.

Finally, another sacrifice from our long suffering Pak....what can you say? Like Vitolo, BDV and the other 'usual suspects' out there running interference for us, taking the big hits so we don't have to, his reward is no doubt waiting for him in heaven.....the best we can hope for is appreciation I guess. What a guy, we need more like him, too bad there aren't any......

OF

Atman

When I hit combustion, I immediately yank the swivel cap off and dump out the load. What do you do?

I inhale as deeply as possible to try to not let anything go to waste. Then I give it a few seconds and continue normal use.

Atman,

Tweek

One time while using the FV, I fell into such a daze that I forgot that I was holding down the button. The thickest, most vile smoke billowed out...no way could I inhale that. But as Pak pointed out, she gets back to her regular fine tasting self rather quickly.

I'm looking for a portable vape that I can load a decent amount into (approx .5g) and use periodically throughout the day without re-loading - taking good single hits each time. The problem I've run into in the past with my iolite original is that it keeps cooking after I turn it off, and the bud is pretty much spent if I try to go back to it later (I also don't like the heavy drag on that unit and the fact I can't get a good single hit). Is the FV what I'm looking for? Does it cool off quickly after a hit so that it doesn't keep cooking?

I bought the vaporblunt 2.0 and like may aspects of it, but the chamber is small so it doesn't fit the bill as far as not having to re-load, and it doesn't really give me that strong single hit I'm looking for in a portable.

Thanks!

kelper,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I'm looking for a portable vape that I can load a decent amount into (approx .5g) and use periodically throughout the day without re-loading - taking good single hits each time. The problem I've run into in the past with my iolite original is that it keeps cooking after I turn it off, and the bud is pretty much spent if I try to go back to it later (I also don't like the heavy drag on that unit and the fact I can't get a good single hit). Is the FV what I'm looking for? Does it cool off quickly after a hit so that it doesn't keep cooking?

I bought the vaporblunt 2.0 and like may aspects of it, but the chamber is small so it doesn't fit the bill as far as not having to re-load, and it doesn't really give me that strong single hit I'm looking for in a portable.

Thanks!

The FV cools down immediately. By the time you release the button and pull off the swivel cap, you can touch the heater screen without burning yourself. You could easily use it the way you describe.

Tweek

You wont have any issues with cooking on this unit. It heats up only when the button is pressed. After that, it cools rather quickly. Once you get your technique down, it will pack a fast punch as needed. Airflow is great, and not restricted at all. The chamber itself is 1 inch measured diagonal.

Tweek,
Reactions: OF

FlashVAPE

...fast and efficient ! http://flashvape.com
Manufacturer
Hey I'm thinking about purchasing a FlashVape, but have a few questions.
How discreet is the packaging?

When you purchase directly from our website http://flashvape.com, the shipping packaging bears no markings. If you are outside of Canada, the customs declaration attached to the package will state 1* aromatherapy atomizer kit.

Are there any other models I should be considering at or around this price point? MFLB?

... I think I will let other members comment on this. If you read some of the previous postings, there are some comparisons between the 2 units. However, I will state that the FV is a larger format portable vape vs. the MFLB, which is indeed one of the tiniest vapes available.

How is it on batteries? Do I need more/a better charger?
Is there anything else I should know that might cause me to choose or not choose this vape?

... again, there are some good information in previous posts in regards to battery life. Each battery, when fully charged, has the capacity to deliver a good 30-40 hits on average, depending on your particular technique when using the FV.

The battery charger that comes standard with each FV kit is a single cell smart charger, which will fully charge the FV battery in around 2-3 hours. The battery has no memory effect, so you can charge it at anytime. There is always the double charger option available with 2 extra batteries, for the heavy user.

OF

... I think I will let other members comment on this. If you read some of the previous postings, there are some comparisons between the 2 units. However, I will state that the FV is a larger format portable vape vs. the MFLB, which is indeed one of the tiniest vapes available.

OK, I'm one of those "other members" so I get to comment? FV is being too modest here. MFLB is a great little vape, everyone should have one, but it's not in the same class as FV. FV is a tiger on a short leash. A potential monster, MFLB is a kitten in that game.

If you're brand new to vapes I think the FV is not a good choice....just too powerful to learn on. MFLB will teach you about vaping, temperature control and so on. FV assumes you know all that stuff and want to get straight to full blast. The difference between 'amazing hit' and combustion disaster is half a heartbeat sometimes. You need skill and self restraint to control the tiger.

FV is a great vape if you're up to it, but when you push that shiny button you'd better have a good plan......

Your call.

OF

LeTchen

A toute vapeur !
Retailer
I think I will let other members comment on this. If you read some of the previous postings, there are some comparisons between the 2 units.

I don't receive yet my FV (hope this week) but I can say that I can't make by myself a FV ! ..... I say that because I have made 2 MFLB easily !!! :cool:
IMHO, I think the FV price is really very cheap.....and the MFLB price is the contrary !....... but this is only my opinion...

I don't see other similar vapes at the same price

LeTchen,

JoeKickass

I haven't combusted since an accident one on day 1, my favorite method is hold for 2-3 seconds then draw slowly and let go when I'm done or it looks like it might be getting too hot.

That said I went back to my Pax and was completely bowled over, the FV is a step above the mflb for sure but it's not quite reached that step where it can take care of me like plug-in vapes and the Pax can. I think it's just the sheer difference in amount of material used...

Or maybe the fact that this is as dark as I can get FV abv:
BLgc554.jpg

JoeKickass,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
IThat said I went back to my Pax and was completely bowled over, the FV is a step above the mflb for sure but it's not quite reached that step where it can take care of me like plug-in vapes and the Pax can. I think it's just the sheer difference in amount of material used...

I don't get that last part. The FV bowl is about twice the size of the Pax oven. They're both conduction vaporizers if you use the FV basic method. If you put the same load in both, more of the will be load in contact with the heating surface in the FV. I get vapour as thick as the Pax on red (high) without much trouble.

One difference might be that I never start a draw as early as 3. My minimum heatup is 5 seconds before drawing. When I want conduction only, as I might when sharing with someone without having to teach technique, I heat for 7-8 seconds.

JoeKickass

One difference might be that I never start a draw as early as 3. My minimum heatup is 5 seconds before drawing. When I want conduction only, as I might when sharing with someone without having to teach technique, I heat for 7-8 seconds.

I loved the 5s until the third hit, then I combusted. You must draw very quickly after the time is up if you keep holding the button on (what I'm doing)

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I loved the 5s until the third hit, then I combusted. You must draw very quickly after the time is up if you keep holding the button on (what I'm doing)

As a LB and Pax user, I'm conditioned not to draw quickly. I've tried huffing the FV—my sacrifice for the public good, thanks not necessary naturally—and it doesn't work. You pull everything up into the air like a giant Cyclone bowl and lose most of the conduction. It says something about the power of the FV that it still gives some vapour when you do that.

You need patience. Keep trying and it will come to you. At some point you'll be able to tell when to let up on the power. Then you'll be able to do whatever you want, thick clouds or wispy tasties. If you read back you'll see even OF struggled at first. Don't give up, it really is worth the effort.

Top Bottom