Do you still combust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
happyhippe said:
25/7? if i could i would:p 25/8 if your going to add one. Seriously does it help it though. Its probly in my mind becuase its always been a habit, i have a cig out near the end of any sesh

Yeah used to be a huge problem of mine. Best advice is

1) dont stop your sess :lol:
2) quit smoking those newport menthol. In my experience it is easier to to quit cold turkey from a non-menthol then a menthol.
3) Dont take huge drags, or buy 100's and kill your boag near half.

biojuggernaut,

happyhippe

Semi Vaporist
i like number 1 ha and how did you know the newport thing, smoked them since i sarted smoking, I just recently, about 3 months ago quit the 100's and went to marboro menthol 72's. I got tired of how sweet the newports were, kinda like candy.

happyhippe,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
lwien said:
"Complete" meaning that with smoking, you're getting the full compliment of THC/CBD/CBN'S which provides the total body high along with the cerebral high, but I don't mean to imply that "complete" is necessarily better. There are many, including myself most of the time, that prefer to do without the couch like body stoned that vapor provides, but sometimes, it's nice to experience them both, but again, for me, the nasty taste and smell of smoke as well as the burning sensation at the back of my throat is a real turn off.

I don't agree with this. I don't think you get the full complement of THC/CBD/CBN's because some of them are destroyed by combustion. Vaporizing allows you to get a different spectrum of actives, and in my opinion a wider range than is possible through combustion. Through temperature control you can be selective, which is obviously not possible with combustion. As we know, combustion also adds other compounds, some of which affect the high and some of which are toxic. None of this would prompt me to describe the experience as "more complete".

pakalolo,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I just smoked my first joint (tried to anyway) since April 23/this year. Exactly 4 months. This time I was using premium raw hemp papers. Got my niece's BF to roll one for me last night. Could only manage to smoke about 1/2 before I had to stop. Coughing jag and tears were rolling down my face :p Most people seem to agree that the tape high is different than the combustion high, and I agree. I also think a joint smoking high is different from a bong smoking high.

Won't voluntarily smoke joints, but will hit a perc'd ice cooled bong/w ash catcher or 12 arm bubbler.

Tom

tdavie,

happyhippe

Semi Vaporist
Yea the joint is definitely a different high than a bong. I love raws though. Ill voluntarily hit a joint but ive never hit a 12 arm bong. maby a 2 arm once or twice

happyhippe,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
Rarely, I will combust. However, I will only use a glass spoon, because I don't want to foul up any of my waterpieces. Also, I can only combust after 8pm, otherwise Ill end up having an unintended nap!

notmyrealUSERname,

Bodhi Diesel

Cannabis Snob
Started smoking Cannabis in June 1960, started vaping in 1998 with a VRipTech SVT bowl and heat gun, switched to VaporBrothers in 2001 and have stayed there, only adding a bubbler about 3 years ago. Christmas of 2009 a friend in SoCal showed up with a Titanium Skillet strictly to vaporize oil and full melt hash, I purchased one about 3 months later. My VaporGenie was a b-day present from my daughter for my 62nd b-day.

But, as to the question at hand... No, I haven't combusted at all since 2002.

Bodhi Diesel,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Meh, from time to time when I am with friends. I dont like to, but I like to ride dirty even less. :(

I let one of my near and dear friends borrow my SSV for a while and he accumulated a bunch of ABV. I then gave him a SS Coil VG and he used it for the last of his herb. Now he is combusting his ABV to get him by til his next bag. I have smoked some of that ABV from time to time. :| It does the trick in a pinch.

AGBeer,

Nosferatu

After vaping 2-5 times a day everyday I enjoy a day where all I smoke is a joint or two every now and then. I used to be the vapor only guy for the longest time but it started fucking up my tolerance and social life and now I realized allowing my self to go on a few day combustion binge is ok, almost like a clean out, then vaping is so great again after a few days of the inferior method.

Although I realize one could just take a break altogether for the same effect, but now at least I choose to just combust as a sort of T-break from vaping.

Nosferatu,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I haven't smoked weed for a year and a half. But for some reason I'm still high as fuck. :rolleyes:

Stu,

Nycdeisel

feels good to say that dont it stu? I could have been only vaporizing all of that time but I did continue to smoke like 5 percent of the time.

Nycdeisel,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
I see Nosferatu's point about social life of vaping though. For example it can seem rude, especially if you're with friends of friends who you don't know, to refuse a joint they've rolled as it's being passed round.

Of course you might just explain that you only vape, but can still seem a little ungrateful. Plus if you elect to pull out your magic flight instead of partaking in the joint, then suddenly everyone wants to know what it is, how it works, if they can use it etc.
Sure, I'm all for educating people who often have never seen a vape, even to let a few people try it (long as they don't set it on fire), but after the millionth time it does get rather tiresome.

So I too occasionally combust, usually only with company though, and also usually only if I can be the one that rolls it! - That way I can make the tobacco-bud ratio much better than european rollers tend to make it.

wilf789,

mrfloopa

Vappy
wilf789 said:
Usually only if I can be the one that rolls it! - That way I can make the tobacco-bud ratio much better than european rollers tend to make it.

Is rolling with tobacco actually more common than not? (edit: Most) everybody I know rolls straight herb, but on many forums I always see people alluding to rolling with lots of tobacco far more often than otherwise. It's especially concerning when I then read things like this, and because it is unfiltered tobacco. (Just ignore the slightly misleading title.)

mrfloopa,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Nycdeisel said:
feels good to say that dont it stu? I could have been only vaporizing all of that time but I did continue to smoke like 5 percent of the time.
Yes, it does feel good. However if I were in a social position of being offered a joint at a show or something like that, I would graciously accept it and hit it out of courtesy. Kinda like trying your aunt's yam and spinach casserole at Christmas. You don't really want to, but you are obliged to.

:peace:

Stu,

Nycdeisel

Yep. I see your point. there are times when you cant accept though, or I cant accept anyway. like If I felt at that time that the risk of just having some smoke would really ruin my night then I have to decline, I wouldnt want to ruin everyones good time. and some people will never understand even if you carefully explain to them your habits, while others see it as no problem.

its funny how stoner traditions vary all around

Nycdeisel,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
mrfloopa said:
wilf789 said:
Usually only if I can be the one that rolls it! - That way I can make the tobacco-bud ratio much better than european rollers tend to make it.

Is rolling with tobacco actually more common than not? (edit: Most) everybody I know rolls straight herb, but on many forums I always see people alluding to rolling with lots of tobacco far more often than otherwise. It's especially concerning when I then read things like this, and because it is unfiltered tobacco. (Just ignore the slightly misleading title.)

Yes in the UK it's always been the way to my memory. I'm not entirely sure why joint rolling would have evolved differently on this side of the pond but perhaps something to do with historically not as good quality of bud - only recently have we started seeing prime stuff more steadily.

Anyway some people will put up to nearly a whole cigarette in their joints. When I've been in Amsterdam I often see Germans and other Europeans putting in a literally startling amount of rolling tobacco - it's amazing it can even fit in the paper.

Actually it wasn't until I moved to New York for a year that I started really caring about how much tobacco was in a joint - most kids still used a little bit in NY but the general quality of green was so much higher than UK. Now I'm back over here and beg people to not put too much in when they roll; some listen, some don't - which will determine if I have to say yes please or no thanks.

Agree with both the comments above too: have to suss out in each situation whether it's worth being polite and partaking, or giving your own health/comfort more weight.

wilf789,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
wilf789 said:
e]

Yes in the UK it's always been the way to my memory. I'm not entirely sure why joint rolling would have evolved differently on this side of the pond but perhaps something to do with historically not as good quality of bud - only recently have we started seeing prime stuff more steadily.
I speculate that it might be due to the higher prevalence of hash a few years ago? Tobacco provided the burning 'substrate'/'medium' (for want of better words) that was a necessity, and the habit continued onto smoking 'skunk'. At least that's how it went for me.

WatTyler,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Here's how it goes with me;

At home I'll vape-bong, combust-bong/joint and edibles
When guests come over they get a choice of vaporizer, bong, joint, etc. I would never offer tobacco, nor would I allow one of my pieces to be used with tobacco.
If offered, I would accept vaporizer, bong and probably joint, but again never tobacco.

But they can use tobacco at my house no problem; it just isn't for me.

Been on the fence about getting a Solo; it would come in handy when walking two dogs :D The Launchbox proved impossible (for me) at one hand operation. I played with the Solo in a store today and I think I'd be able to use it while walking the mutts.

Tom

8fJid.png

Unedited iPhone photo of a family member hitting up a new piece I bought today.

tdavie,

djonkoman

WatTyler said:
wilf789 said:
e]

I speculate that it might be due to the higher prevalence of hash a few years ago? Tobacco provided the burning 'substrate'/'medium' (for want of better words) that was a necessity, and the habit continued onto smoking 'skunk'. At least that's how it went for me.

I think so too, I've heard stories from people around here who already smoked in the 70's etc and at the time of the first coffeeshops, at that time all dutchmen smoked hash, only immigrants(from indonesia or suriname for example) smoked weed

around here it's so common that for most people having weed and papers but no tobacco is the same as having a joint but no lighter

djonkoman,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I always thought we mix our weed with tobacco to save weed (or in other words: because we're cheap :lol: ).

But I also never liked smoking weed without tobacco, it doesn't seem to do much for me that way for some reason. I tried it through self made waterbongs multiple times when I was younger and started messing around with mj and I even bought a Ehle slide recently just to try it again through my 500ml tube just before I sold it (no worries, I cleaned it thoroughly before I handed it over to the buyer) with the same lack of results.

OhTheAgony,

djonkoman

I smoke pure since the first time I got high, I do ocassionally take a few hits from a joint rolled by friends with tobacco, but I don't smoke cigs so tobacco tastes nasty to me, irritates my throat and I hate the nicotinerush, so I immediatly started rolling pure joints, wich I also needed to get high(when I started smoking I needed much more to get high, and slowly the aount needed to get high decreased, I used to roll ugly treelog-joints, so full the paper barely fitted around it, others estimated I put in around 2 grams, with usually a pause of 30-60 inutes between joints, I would usually share the first but with the 2nd the others usually didn't want to smoke more)
so only recently I got high from joints with tobacco for the first time(a friend had rolling tobacco that was much smoother as other tobacco and not much taste, so I smoked from his joints more and could take bigger hits, but after 1-2 weeks my throat started to be irritated often, especially in the morning, and I got a slight smokerscough now and then, so I cut down on participating with tobacco joints)

djonkoman,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Yeah, it must be different when you're not used to smoking tobacco. I was already smoking for a year or so before I discovered marijuana so for me it was pretty logical to start smoke joints back then. It was also the way I learned how to use marijuana from older friends at first as a 15 year old, I didn't even know you could use pipes and whatnot until a few years later.

On the occasion that I do smoke a joint nowadays I still use my 'old' amount of fresh mj but replace half of the tobacco I used to use with dark AVB. It makes smoking it much softer on the throat and gives a much nicer taste imo.

OhTheAgony,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
wilf789 said:
I see Nosferatu's point about social life of vaping though. For example it can seem rude, especially if you're with friends of friends who you don't know, to refuse a joint they've rolled as it's being passed round.

Yeah and those same people are probably offended if you don't drink alcohol. It shouldn't be their concern, and if someone is going to think it's rude for you to consider your health then fuck them.

Those people are just defensive of their bad habits and hate it when they might be questioned on it. Just sit back, enjoy your vapor, do what you want. Do you get offended when someone doesn't want to vape? I would assume not, that's their loss. Right?

aesthyrian,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
lol.. I'm so converted I don't even "combust" my candles anymore :D I use a $5 candle warmer - amazing how much longer the candles/scents last too.

To be polite I have taken a puff here and there in the last couple years but I always regret it pretty quickly and can't imagine going to back combustion. NEVER thought I'd give up firing up but... I am so happy with vaping I hope to never be forced to combustion again.

Lo,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom