DIY Hakko + SSV Heater Cover

KeepCalm

Reindeer, reindeer, reindeer
SpiralArchitect said:
Way cool KeepCalm! Seems like a manageable project.... some day, someday...... So do you just swap your heater covers each time (when you wanna us your SSV or Vapobong)?
Actually I think I'm gonna get another heater cover and sell the SSV. Between the wand and the PD I'm pretty much set. Might get a bag vape at some point.

KeepCalm,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
How did you find a bowl that would make a tight seal with the SSV heater cover? or any will do?

stonemonkey55,

KeepCalm

stonemonkey55 said:
How did you find a bowl that would make a tight seal with the SSV heater cover? or any will do?
Luck! I'm currently using a 14.4 Lux bowl with a screen in it (identical to 14.4 Roor bowls) that I already had. All my 18.8 bowls save a few snappers are too big. What I'd really like is basically a cut-down SSV wand with an 18.8 male joint on the bottom. That would be ideal.

KeepCalm,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
maybe you could contact seventh floor and arrange something :brow:
they do custom glass if youre willing to pay, they might be able to make a bowl for you that will fit their heater covers and will go on a bong

Acolyte of Zinglon,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
KeepCalm said:
Hell yeah dude. Emailing them now.
good idea mate :D i bought the hakko and ill buy the SSV heater cover when the hakko arrives....ill go to my local hardware store(when i say local i mean home grown management much like the accessibility with tom and pam) and ask them if then can cut off that little threaded bit and widen the hole a bit...ill have the SSV glass cover with me when i do that so i dont have to run back and forth and have them start to figure what im doing :lol: ahhh but its a really chill hardware store...nothing compared to homedepot...a lil smaller yes but they have EVERYTHING! :brow:

also when i buy the SSV heater cover at my head shop ill fit it to GONG bowls they have and see what fits best! wish me luck! :)

Hennessy1414,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
are there any soldering irons where the heat controller is built int the wand? I want to get around having a seperate item to take out and put away

stonemonkey55,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
stonemonkey55 said:
are there any soldering irons where the heat controller is built int the wand? I want to get around having a seperate item to take out and put away
i have seen a whole unit that hakko sells. its even more cumbersom because its a table top unit($100+) but yeah

yes your vrip tec is the shit...but....the guy never e-mailed me back so i say fuck it and make my own.

Hennessy1414,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Send him another email, I know he has been traveling, surprised he didn't get back to you, I asked him if there were any outstanding emails he hasn't answered and he said "no" Maybe it got caught in the spam filter. Either way, might be worth reaching out to him one more time. I am in no way saying that this isn't a great DIY project but some things you might want to think about when you make the decision between whether you should build or buy is that the ceramic heating element is still exposed to the vapor path, the glass used on the VHW is thicker and has more thermal mass to retain heat, there are 5 cyclones to Expedite the sequential, venturi effect (air speeds up to increase heat), and is only $100 bucks for the next month or so. He?s actually adding an impact resistant sleeve so that that you don?t get scalded from the glass and is more resistant to impact. The sleeve will not intefere with the all glass vapor path and will also act as a seal between the VHW and the bowl for better vapor extraction efficiency.

stonemonkey55,

KeepCalm

Yep, if I didn't already have all the parts lying around, and didn't require a ground glass connection, I would go for the VRIP at $100 for sure. When the price goes up to $150? Not so sure then. This thing rips for $80 and a little elbow grease.

KeepCalm,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I just wish there were some other people here that had the VHW....i guess it's really hard to blow the glass peice...

Keep Calm, with your new invention, do you ever want to hit vapor through a hose again? I find myself not wanting to use my whip anymore because of this, just tastes better, mimics the ritual better, etc etc

stonemonkey55,

KeepCalm

Yeah, not much interest in the whip these days - I LOVE bongs and having a wand that will work with any of mine really makes vaporizing fun for me. I know what you mean by the ritual. It's just like picking up a lighter except for the cord!

KeepCalm,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Hellz yea! I'm sure you already have, but if you haven't, drop in a bunch of crushed ice and your experience will elevate even more! Or if you live in an area with snow, that is EVEN better!

stonemonkey55,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
stonemonkey55 said:
Or if you live in an area with snow, that is EVEN better!
and thats why living in the cold is semi alright...:lol:

KeepCalm said:
Yeah, not much interest in the whip these days - I LOVE bongs and having a wand that will work with any of mine really makes vaporizing fun for me. I know what you mean by the ritual. It's just like picking up a lighter except for the cord!
Ok man so I went to my headshop today and found the SSV heater cover($15) its much smaller than i thought :o ...it had a small piece of metal wrapped inside of the glass stem...hmm :/ but still removable...is there a bigger and smaller version for the silver surfers glass heater cover?...not too sure(but god DAMN they had some HEADY HEADY HEADY heater covers for the SSV...wow!!!!!!!!!!) when my hakko comes ill bring it to the headshop and see if its going to work(i bet i bet!) and i found the BEST roor bowl ever that fits it AIR TIGHT! it has a THICK lip around the bowl and an aight sized vape bowl...im soooooooo stoaked :p :) :D

here i come...:ko:

Hennessy1414,

KeepCalm

stonemonkey55 said:
Hellz yea! I'm sure you already have, but if you haven't, drop in a bunch of crushed ice and your experience will elevate even more! Or if you live in an area with snow, that is EVEN better!
I use ice almost every time. SO SMOOTH. This is how the herb is meant to be consumed. Christ, even the bong water smells GOOD!

Hennessy, sounds like you are pretty much set. Can't wait to see how your version turns out.

KeepCalm,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
IVB = ice vapor bonging, the only way to do it. I think we are ahead of the curve here fellas, I still know a lot of people that like the dry vape. I guess in a way, it kinda makes you overly snobby. Before I couldn't stand the smell of smoke when I went to vaping. When I started adding water to the mixture, I coudln't stand dry vaping. Now that ice is part of the equation, it just seems somewhat lacking when I have water but no ice...well, i guess there are worse things to be snobby about than vapor! :brow:

stonemonkey55,

KeepCalm

I still like the dry hit of my Purple Days for sure but an ice bong vapor hit pretty much is the pinnacle (so far, anyway)!

KeepCalm,

KeepCalm

I actually feel I can taste the difference between strains the most too when vaping through the bong. Do you find that as well stonemonkey?

KeepCalm,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
MOST DEFINITELY. That?s what I?ve been saying all along! I just think the all glass vapor path allows you to taste the full spectrum of flavors. I can taste steel, plastic, and silicone tubing, even if it is very slight and subtle. There is just something about the purity of glass and its higher vibrational frequency that I think translates into ?higher quality? vapor that is ultra delightful to senses. I actually think the water and ice also subtly condenses the vapor so that the flavor is enhanced even further. I know that this is just my opinion, and I think you share the same opinion, we just got to get these types of vapes into the hands of all the people that ended up buying all those wood box type vapes, they just don?t know what they are missing out on

stonemonkey55,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
AofZ, I would be more than happy to spend some time with a fellow vape conniseur!

stonemonkey55,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
YAY i made this device...now i have a portable SSV

all you do is hook it up to an SSV's whip....simple

hahaha make money blaze chronic and cheat the makers at the 7th floor :ko:

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Hen said:
all you do is hook it up to an SSV's whip....simple
Isn't the idea to use a bong?

Still looks like a fun project. If you built the handle I'd love to see it. :)

vtac,
Top Bottom