DIY Hakko + SSV Heater Cover

KeepCalm

Reindeer, reindeer, reindeer
Took apart my Silver Surfer a while back and mated it to a Hakko handle. Similar to the new VRIP wand or the old Hot Glass, but a little simpler! This thing works great for big cold vapor bong hits. I am stoked, good addition to my PD. More details to come.

Finally got around to taking a pic:

KeepCalm,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Wow, that is really nice!!!! So is it the SSV's heating element, or the Hakko? That is, did you just remove the glass cover or what? Some up close pics would be great.... could be a cheap alternative to the VRIP wand. :D

And what did you do with your SSV? :(

SpiralArchitect,

KeepCalm

Hakko element, 60 watts (handle and element are from a Hakko 456). It's connected to a soldering iron temp controller. I just borrowed the heater cover from the SSV so it's pretty much ok ;) More pics soon!

KeepCalm,

anslinger

That just makes my day.

Do you just take the metal off the Hakko and slide the glass cover on? Just like that?

anslinger,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
KeepCalm said:
Took apart my Silver Surfer a while back and mated it to a Hakko handle. Similar to the new VRIP wand or the old Hot Glass, but a little simpler! This thing works great for big cold vapor bong hits. I am stoked, good addition to my PD. More details to come.

Finally got around to taking a pic:

[url]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7484/vapeov8.jpg[/url]
[url]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/vapeov8.jpg/1/w640.png[/url]
ill see if my head shop carry's SSV heater covers like that :ko:

edit/ these?
knobs.jpg

Hennessy1414,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
That's the SSV mainpage. :/ //edit oh u fixed it nvm,

Yah, I think those are the right parts.

You live in Colorado right? IIRC, SSV is based out of Colorado Springs. Maybe just swing by and pick one up in person. :)

SpiralArchitect,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
SpiralArchitect said:
That's the SSV mainpage. :/ //edit oh u fixed it nvm,

Yah, I think those are the right parts.

You live in Colorado right? IIRC, SSV is based out of Colorado Springs. Maybe just swing by and pick one up in person. :)
too far...need to go to Fort-Collins if anything and get my bong fixed..ahhh glass on glass! :p

well my head shop prolly carry's it because i asked why they only had the SSV and they said they didn't want to waste their time/money with anything else....:lol:...they need to talk to tom and pam..god damn :brow:

Hennessy1414,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Meh, they probably get good deals for the SSV, and considering its CO made, I don't blame them.

Yeah, considering that they only carry SSV's tho, I betcha they got extras their....

SpiralArchitect,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
SpiralArchitect said:
Meh, they probably get good deals for the SSV, and considering its CO made, I don't blame them.

Yeah, considering that they only carry SSV's tho, I betcha they got extras their....
what im wondering is after i spend the 15 or so in the heater cover and the $45 or so shipped hakko 465....how do i connect the damn thing? :/ is their a bowl that's the best to use? help :)

Hennessy1414,

max

Out to lunch
Cool DIY job KeepCalm. :tup: I've got a spare heater cover. I may try this myself. :brow: What are you using for the "soldering iron temp controller"? Those can be expensive.

max,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
max said:
Cool DIY job KeepCalm. :tup: I've got a spare heater cover. I may try this myself. :brow:
how is the SSV heater cover supposed to be fixed to the hakko? im going to do this ASAP and go buy a roor steam roller.....no water..all ice :cool:

Hennessy1414,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Excellent mod, KeepCalm, thanks for sharing!

Have you tried picking up the SSV itself and using it as a wand? Was thinking about ways to attach a standard wand to a waterpipe or something like that to avoid tubing (just for the hell of it, not for fear of tubing).

vtac,

Volcano South

I admit I've taken my Volcano bags and placed them against the stem of my bong and ripped it a few times.

Pleasant experience, but a little too complicated for me.

Volcano South,

KeepCalm

Hey guys, I'll post a parts list and a little "how to" when I get he from work tonight :)

KeepCalm,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
KC, very impressive! how did you get the heater cover to stay on tightly?

stonemonkey55,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
last night i rigged up something to run my pd through my bong, i noticed a difference in the density and the vapor was a llot cooler
ill post pics later, i gotta unload shit from my old crappy digicam, thing still uses serial instead of usb :disgust: :rolleyes:

but either way, theres a lot of pictures coming the way of fuck combustion

Acolyte of Zinglon,

Auralis

If you want to make it a lot simpler, just run the whip to the stem on the bong. You might have to shop around a bit to get a bowl that fits the plastic tubing right but you should be able to manage. Bong hits completed.

Auralis,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
KeepCalm, from my understanding, these soldering irons only have one temperature, what did you do to control the temp on that iron? I actually really prefer this heating element over the one in the SSV. Mine is a 30 watt Solomon heating element and quite frankly, I do not think it holds it?s heat all that well. Mine is forgiving for slow to medium speed draws but if you like to hit it hard, it dims too much and does not retain heat as well as the VRIP wand or my Evolutions unit. This unit is 60 watts or so which is the same as my VRIPwand, I wonder if they are similar heating elements? Either way, I love your ingenuity! I might buy one of these and replace the heating element in my SSV, shouldn?t be too hard.

Auralis, I think the point of KeepCalm?s experiment is to avoid the tubing all together for an all glass experience. Don?t want to speak for KC though, so please correct me if I?m wrong.

stonemonkey55,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
duhhhhhhhhhhh, thanks VC...geez I can be slow sometimes, which iron temp controller? I guess when you throw the temp controller into the equation, the price then goes up quite a bit. I was checking the Hakko website and the one I want is 200 :o

stonemonkey55,
Top Bottom