DIY Hakko + SSV Heater Cover

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
stonemonkey55 said:
I was checking the Hakko website and the one I want is 200 :o
used on ebay for $100 tho...not exactly sure but i see hakko shit pop up on ebay cheap like :cool: never pay full price (my jewish intuition) i'm really Jewish :)

Hennessy1414,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I was feeling all inspired to make my own heat wand with the Mach series of Hakko soldering irons, the rep I spoke with said that this one can most quickly react to heat changes but I didn't know I'd have to get a heat controller also :( With the price of the controller and soldering iron, I think it will be more than the VRIPwand and it won't have the venturi designed channels or the custom glass piece that encapsulates the heating element so that the vapor path only touches glass.... but there is definitely some pleasure from making something yourself, I can see this being pretty cool with the SSV GonG heater cover. The Mach series is only 10 bucks more than 4500 series, are the heat controllers universal? What are some good heat controllers to get? I don't feel like doing a lot of research on heat controllers so if anyone knows any good tips when purchasing one, any advice would be appreciated

stonemonkey55,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
stonemonkey55 said:
I was feeling all inspired to make my own heat wand with the Mach series of Hakko soldering irons, the rep I spoke with said that this one can most quickly react to heat changes but I didn't know I'd have to get a heat controller also :( With the price of the controller and soldering iron, I think it will be more than the VRIPwand and it won't have the venturi designed channels or the custom glass piece that encapsulates the heating element so that the vapor path only touches glass.... but there is definitely some pleasure from making something yourself, I can see this being pretty cool with the SSV GonG heater cover. The Mach series is only 10 bucks more than 4500 series, are the heat controllers universal? What are some good heat controllers to get? I don't feel like doing a lot of research on heat controllers so if anyone knows any good tips when purchasing one, any advice would be appreciated
heres a heat controller...lifting your hand :p seriously why waste money/time?

Hennessy1414,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
you mean just hold it further away from the vaping area? I'm thinking that would be quite difficult and then you would lose your air/vapor ratio because there won't be a seal with the heating element. But I do agree with you, I already have the VRIPwand and no matter what I use to modify the Hakko, it still won't be as good as what I already got, so why waste the money.

stonemonkey55,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
stonemonkey55 said:
you mean just hold it further away from the vaping area? I'm thinking that would be quite difficult and then you would lose your air/vapor ratio because there won't be a seal with the heating element. But I do agree with you, I already have the VRIPwand and no matter what I use to modify the Hakko, it still won't be as good as what I already got.
think of it as attaching to the bowl...sucking thru your hit..when you understand the unit better you will kno when to lift(at all) to cool the bowl from combustion or even less and apply when vapor thins....get it..a lil manual work but were vaping so i like to keep entertained :ko:

Hennessy1414,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I see your point, there is definitely some skill that you would need to pull something like that off. I'm a bit more particular when it comes to my vapor and I like very precise heating temperatures for "optimal" vapor, I never revape any of my AVB at a higher temp and I never vape it beyond a light yellowish brown. This is why I loved the heat gun so much, it had a thermal couple in there to regulate the heat and it was very forgiving whether you were hitting it hard or milking it slowly, you would always get thick, clean tasting vapor and the AVB would look like it wasn't even close to being overly browned. My SSV is not getting much PT these days because it works great with slow to medium speed draws but the 30 watt heating element just does not respond quickly enough when you hit it hard. The VRIPwand has a 60 watt heating element and is forgiving whether you hit it slow or fast and I was kinda interested in using one of the 85 watt Mach Hakkos to see it did an even better job of holding its temperature but I'm pretty much over it right now. It's still a super dope thing to put together if you happen to have those items availble to you though.

stonemonkey55,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
stonemonkey55 said:
I see your point, there is definitely some skill that you would need to pull something like that off. I'm a bit more particular when it comes to my vapor and I like very precise heating temperatures for "optimal" vapor, I never revape any of my AVB at a higher temp and I never vape it beyond a light yellowish brown. This is why I loved the heat gun so much, it had a thermal couple in there to regulate the heat and it was very forgiving whether you were hitting it hard or milking it slowly, you would always get thick, clean tasting vapor and the AVB would look like it wasn't even close to being overly browned. My SSV is not getting much PT these days because it works great with slow to medium speed draws but the 30 watt heating element just does not respond quickly enough when you hit it hard. The VRIPwand has a 60 watt heating element and is forgiving whether you hit it slow or fast and I was kinda interested in using one of the 85 watt Mach Hakkos to see it did an even better job of holding its temperature but I'm pretty much over it right now. It's still a super dope thing to put together if you happen to have those items availble to you though.
well hitting vapor(for me)is more of a feeling than looking at a gauge and determining if im getting a hit or not. i kno that sounds a little ovbiouse but when you stick with a unit long enough you learn EVERY trick to it.....or you could flip a switch and hit the up and down buttons a couple of times...its a matter of preference

also i dont have to carry around a heat gun :rolleyes: but i guess that is a home unit...ive always wanted one but that will come into my life when the money is growing on trees if you catch what im sayen :p

Hennessy1414,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like some elitest vapor snob, it's just that I've only smoked about 10 times since the new millenium and it is very important for me to know that I am never over-vaping my herb. I know the ins and outs for all the vaporizor's I own but my preference is for the one that I know will be holding a particular temp no matter how I am hitting it. I mean, you have to admit, it would be nice to be able to get dense, milky hits whether you hit it fast or slow right? Well, maybe not, like you said, it's a matter of preference.

;)

stonemonkey55,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
stonemonkey55 said:
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like some elitest vapor snob, it's just that I've only smoked about 10 times since the new millenium and it is very important for me to know that I am never over-vaping my herb. I know the ins and outs for all the vaporizor's I own but my preference is for the one that I know will be holding a particular temp no matter how I am hitting it. I mean, you have to admit, it would be nice to be able to get dense, milky hits whether you hit it fast or slow right? Well, maybe not, like you said, it's a matter of preference.

;)
fast or slow milky...the extreme vaporizer....225C on fan speed three...stop shake bowl lowered to 220C then on speed 2....shakes bowl...fan speed 3....shake...fan speed 1....hit :ko:

i put my hand under it and i cant see thru :brow: all vapor

Hennessy1414,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Nice, I do remember getting some awesome hits from the Extreme, I miss mine...

stonemonkey55,

KeepCalm

Reindeer, reindeer, reindeer
The controller was about $15, it's basically a rheostat in a box afaik so this setup is very very similar to the SSV in stock form. Do a search for "mini phaser" soldering iron temperature controller. No camera right now but I will do my best to describe how I did it.

Parts list: SSV heater cover, Hakko 456, Mini Phaser soldering iron controller, about 4" of 5/8" FDA-grade vinyl tubing, 3 #3 bolts of appropriate length.

Optional parts: the Hakko's power cord is quite stiff, and would interfere with the wand staying put where I left it on the table (if this makes sense), so I replaced it with a very flexy silicone power cord from an old PowerBook AC adapter. Highly recommended!

You'll need a dremel with a cut-off wheel and a grinding wheel as well, so this is def. an added expense if you don't have one already.

How I did it:

Take the cover off the SSV and set aside.

If your Hakko is still assembled (what kind of stoner are you if it is?), unscrew the nut holding the soldering tip to the handle and remove the associated parts so you just have a heating element sticking out of the handle. The knurled nut you just removed attaches onto a steel base plate with 3 bolts connecting it to the handle. Remove these three bolts, and take off the base plate.

Now comes the only hard part: slide the tubing over the heater cover about 3/4" of an inch or so, it should be a very tight fit (that's not the hard part). While holding the base plate with vise grips or something, take the dremel with the cutoff wheel and remove the large threaded protrusion that held the aforementioned knurled nut to the plate. You want to aim for a nice round hole here (ha ha). Now with your grinding wheel, enlarge the hole so the heater cover with the bit of tubing over it fits snugly. This will create a steel on plastic on glass interface, much more forgiving than steel on glass.

Now you should have a heater cover with a few inches of vinyl tubing sticking down and the metal base plate fitted snugly to it. Slide the whole thing over the heating element and guide the tubing into the hollow bit of the handle (this will also act to seal off the bottom of the heating tube and only allow air to enter as designed).

Here's where the longer #3 bolts come into play. Use them to fasten the metal base plate to the handle once again, replacing the original short bolts. The base plate will torque up against the vinyl tubing and in turn against the little glass lip at the base of the heater cover, keeping everything nice and snug.

Very sorry for the lack of pictures for you visual people. If you're truly interested it might make more sense if you reference my original pic.

Anyway, this setup (WITHOUT the bong! There's the rub) would cost about $80 if one didn't already have an SSV, and just bought the heater cover from them. Once again this is assuming you already have the tools.

I don't know if there's a market, but 7th floor could make a way cleaner looking wand than me for sure. That would be so cool. As for those asking why not just connect some tubing, this way feels more "natural" to me, just like hitting a bong. No muss no fuss!

KeepCalm,

KeepCalm

Hennessy1414 said:
Dude, when this thing is turned up too high, it combusts instantly. No way would this work. The temperature controller is essential!

KeepCalm,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
KC, did you just stick the heater cover onto a regular bowl? I am very impressed with your creativity as I was reading through your instructions. I did some research on those Hakko heating elements and based on my initial research, seem to be much "better" than the 30 watt Solomon's that are in my SSV. I'm sure with the phaser heat controller, you are getting nice, tasty, dense vapor hits out of the beautiful RooR! How does it do when you hit fast versus slow, pretty consistent?

stonemonkey55,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
KeepCalm said:
Hennessy1414 said:
Dude, when this thing is turned up too high, it combusts instantly. No way would this work. The temperature controller is essential!
what if i got the highest wattage hakko dash model? would that work? dude you really need a camera its hard to understand your directions and i dont want to drop $75+ and not have it vapor :ko:

Hennessy1414,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Hennessy1414 said:
KeepCalm said:
Hennessy1414 said:
what if i got the highest wattage hakko dash model? would that work? dude you really need a camera its hard to understand your directions and i dont want to drop $75+ and not have it vapor :ko:
:lol:
Yeah KC, you need to go out and spend $100+ on a camera so Henny doesn't waste $75 of his own money on a vapor mod!
:lol:

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
The Dash also gets waaaaaaaaaaaay to hot to use on it's own, 842 degrees! As much as I love the DIY mentality, for $80, you might as well spend another 20 and get the VRIPwand as it has the heat controller built in, and the rest of the goodies that come along with it. I think a better use of this would be to replace the heating element within the SSV with one of the Hakkos....Hakkos > Solomon heating elements...IMO

stonemonkey55,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
stonemonkey55 said:
The Dash also gets waaaaaaaaaaaay to hot to use on it's own, 842 degrees! As much as I love the DIY mentality, for $80, you might as well spend another 20 and get the VRIPwand as it has the heat controller built in, and the rest of the goodies that come along with it. I think a better use of this would be to replace the heating element within the SSV with one of the Hakkos....Hakkos > Solomon heating elements...IMO
yes but that 20 extra bucks plus the extra 50 for the lil bowl i have to get with it takes away the 70 bucks I could have bought bud with :disgust: sorry whats the point in buying a unit and not having a lot of product to run it thru :uhoh:

stickstones said:
Yeah KC, you need to go out and spend $100+ on a camera so Henny doesn't waste $75 of his own money on a vapor mod!
as for you....i saw a picture that the guy took of his little invention...so to me that makes me think he has someone with a camera or something!

choose them words better boy! :lol:

Hennessy1414,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
KeepCalm said:
OK!

Referencing this file: http://www.hakkousa.com/AHPDirect/download/um/455-456.pdf

When I'm talking about the "base plate," I mean the Flange. Cut the threaded bit off the flange with a dremel and make a hole the heater cover encased in the vinyl tube.

All things should be slightly less murky at this point.
picx.jpg

make the hole bigger so the SSV glass bit fits in it? the hole i pointed to in the pic that is....

also wont the vinyl tuning you attach to the SSV glass melt? :ko:

Hennessy1414,

KeepCalm

Yeah that right there! cut off the threaded bit then enlarge the hole. Vinyl seems fine - I run it only at about 30-35% on the temperature controller, hasn't melted yet! Doesn't get past barely warm. There's also a bit of heat shielding in the heater cover.

KeepCalm,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
KeepCalm said:
Yeah that right there! cut off the threaded bit then enlarge the hole. Vinyl seems fine - I run it only at about 30-35% on the temperature controller, hasn't melted yet! Doesn't get past barely warm. There's also a bit of heat shielding in the heater cover.
shit do you have AIM or msn messenger we need to talk there...much faster!

but if not thats chill.

how do i hook up a temp controller/ where to buy?

this will work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stained-Glass-T...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318
its three prong on the back

Hennessy1414,

KeepCalm

Yeah dude that's the temp controller I have. Mine has a black knob but otherwise that's it. You plug the temp controller into the wall and the soldering iron into the temp controller. I set mine to 35.

KeepCalm,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Way cool KeepCalm! Seems like a manageable project.... some day, someday...... So do you just swap your heater covers each time (when you wanna us your SSV or Vapobong)?

SpiralArchitect,
Top Bottom