Davinci by Karma

elevation

I will most likely do one session at a time since that gets me sufficiëntly baked. I don't want to do 2 sessions in a row to save battery life. But thanks for the tip! It is very appreciated.

elevation,
Reactions: OF

GanjaDude

I will most likely do one session at a time since that gets me sufficiëntly baked. I don't want to do 2 sessions in a row to save battery life. But thanks for the tip! It is very appreciated.

Yeah the reason i mentioned this is because when i first bought the DV I would take 2 or 3 huge hits then turn it off for 3 minutes then turned it on again which killed my battery.

OF

The most battery used is when you heat up the device so avoiding frequent heat up/cool down will surely help.
Yeah the reason i mentioned this is because when i first bought the DV I would take 2 or 3 huge hits then turn it off for 3 minutes then turned it on again which killed my battery.

I understand this is a widely held 'fact' but it's just no so. At least not it typical use. Think about it a bit, we're talking about heat loss that has to be replaced by battery power. Over time, what two factors control the level of heat loss? Cold air being drawn in that has to be heated (not an issue if you're not hitting it at the time....) and heat escaping to the outside (making the body and air around it warm needlessly). What determines the level of this heat loss? A bunch of fixed stuff to do with thermal conductivity (insulation looked at the other way) and the difference in heat. The bigger the difference in heat, the greater the loss. Those are the rules.

So, consider what's the average temperature difference between a unit left at working temperature and one allowed to cool then be reheated? The average temperature is lower for the one that cools. At least some of the time it's cooler therefore loosing heat slower needing less battery to make it up over time.

I understand this is counter intuitive, and we have a tendency to fool ourselves into believing we're experiencing something different, but Physics is Physics and the rules count.

Looked at another way, I make the duty cycle holding temperature about 1:3. That is power is on 10 seconds out of 30? It takes what, 90 seconds to make temperature? The same power that would hold temperature for three times that long, 4.5 minutes? So, if you're going to be hitting it again in less time than that you're best advised to leave it on, but if it's going to be five minutes or more, best to shut it down?

Try it yourself and see, it's not a hard test to run.

IMO the best technique is to start cold, get to temperature as fast as it will go, hit it fast and hard taking as big a hit as you can manage so you can shut it down as quickly as possible. Before you waste a bunch of battery heating up the case and so on. Letting it idle against furture use is basically a loser, no mater how 'logical'.

So that's my advice. Worth everything you paid for it.

OF

GanjaDude

I understand this is a widely held 'fact' but it's just no so. At least not it typical use. Think about it a bit, we're talking about heat loss that has to be replaced by battery power. Over time, what two factors control the level of heat loss? Cold air being drawn in that has to be heated (not an issue if you're not hitting it at the time....) and heat escaping to the outside (making the body and air around it warm needlessly). What determines the level of this heat loss? A bunch of fixed stuff to do with thermal conductivity (insulation looked at the other way) and the difference in heat. The bigger the difference in heat, the greater the loss. Those are the rules.

So, consider what's the average temperature difference between a unit left at working temperature and one allowed to cool then be reheated? The average temperature is lower for the one that cools. At least some of the time it's cooler therefore loosing heat slower needing less battery to make it up over time.

I understand this is counter intuitive, and we have a tendency to fool ourselves into believing we're experiencing something different, but Physics is Physics and the rules count.

Looked at another way, I make the duty cycle holding temperature about 1:3. That is power is on 10 seconds out of 30? It takes what, 90 seconds to make temperature? The same power that would hold temperature for three times that long, 4.5 minutes? So, if you're going to be hitting it again in less time than that you're best advised to leave it on, but if it's going to be five minutes or more, best to shut it down?

Try it yourself and see, it's not a hard test to run.

IMO the best technique is to start cold, get to temperature as fast as it will go, hit it fast and hard taking as big a hit as you can manage so you can shut it down as quickly as possible. Before you waste a bunch of battery heating up the case and so on. Letting it idle against furture use is basically a loser, no mater how 'logical'.

So that's my advice. Worth everything you paid for it.

OF

That makes sense I didnt give it much thought but clearly i was wrong :)

OF

That makes sense I didnt give it much thought but clearly i was wrong :)

Naw, the guy that thought it up was wrong, the rest of us just fall for it 'cuz it sounds good. Yer just repeating, right?

In the end the proof is in the vapor. How we got there is fun and all, but secondary?

Regards.

OF

OF,

Art

Hey! I just discovered this site today and read for hours trying to figure out my situation, but I think I concluded that I should just call up the customer support for the DaVinci and attempt to get a replacement.

I say this because from day one I noticed the off-gas vapor. This was my first personal vaporizer purchase--as I have weak lungs and for health benefits, I would also like to get my dad into vaporizing, however off-gassing and a strong rubber smell during use are not good ways to introduce him to it.

Back to the point, being my first vape, I did not realize (although I should have) that off-gassing could be a possibility. Every time I take a draw, I get an almost sour rubber/plastic (I think?) taste in my mouth, I am definitely getting vapor, but all I want is the vapor. Breathing in possible plastic fumes is something I would like to avoid. Spending as much as I did on the vaporizer, I feel that either giving it way more burn-ins would be the way to go, or just getting a replacement, as it seems many people on this forum have had luck with their replacement models. I also suspect I may have been given an older model, since I bought it from my local smoke shop.

Any thoughts or tips would be much appreciated!

Art,

GanjaDude

Hey! I just discovered this site today and read for hours trying to figure out my situation, but I think I concluded that I should just call up the customer support for the DaVinci and attempt to get a replacement.

I say this because from day one I noticed the off-gas vapor. This was my first personal vaporizer purchase--as I have weak lungs and for health benefits, I would also like to get my dad into vaporizing, however off-gassing and a strong rubber smell during use are not good ways to introduce him to it.

Back to the point, being my first vape, I did not realize (although I should have) that off-gassing could be a possibility. Every time I take a draw, I get an almost sour rubber/plastic (I think?) taste in my mouth, I am definitely getting vapor, but all I want is the vapor. Breathing in possible plastic fumes is something I would like to avoid. Spending as much as I did on the vaporizer, I feel that either giving it way more burn-ins would be the way to go, or just getting a replacement, as it seems many people on this forum have had luck with their replacement models. I also suspect I may have been given an older model, since I bought it from my local smoke shop.

I would contact DV if you have burned through like twice on highest temp and been using it and still getting that taste.

GanjaDude,

Art

I would contact DV if you have burned through like twice on highest temp and been using it and still getting that taste.

Thanks! I am out of town for the weekend, and did not bring it with me, but when I get back I will burn through it a couple times at the highest temp and empty, and report back.

Art,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
If your unit came with a black rubber foam insert, it's gonna stink for quite a while... but it does go away eventually.

:peace:

Art

If your unit came with a black rubber foam insert, it's gonna stink for quite a while... but it does go away eventually.

:peace:

It did come with the insert, I'll still do some burn-ins to see if I can still see the off-gas vapors.

Art,

1_gr8_underdog

Trapped in the Astral Planes Back from the dead

It did come with the insert, I'll still do some burn-ins to see if I can still see the off-gas vapors.

Dear FC members,

As the designer and manufacturer of Da Vinci, I would like to address the comments regarding mystery vapor and offer this comprehensive response. The mystery vapor which few have seen is a short term purification process of an organic rock based insulation material called Mica (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mica) which if not fully 'burned in' will continue to burn off the impurities until cooked away. Because Mica sheet is an organic rock compound, the amount of dirt and sand (impurities) varies inch by inch and can leave a larger deposit in one application over another. The purpose of the Mica Sheet is to insulate the heating wires from the metal bowl (this keeps the bowl from passing electricity to any metal object you might stick in it).

We chose to use Mica sheet insulation because it is well proven in the consumer and vaporizer industry. It is used in your oven, microwave, lanterns and other vaporizers because it insulates electricity and is an organic material that is stable in high heat environments. We also feel the organic compound is a better choice than the adhesive backed synthetic insulating jackets that are also offered.

All manufacturers employ a 'burn in' process and as a result to comments on mystery vapor, we have doubled our 'burn in' time to further eliminate these impurities. This additional burn in time has curbed all issues. But if there was any remaining organic vapor, it is because we use several Mica layers wrapped around the bowl and occasionally a collection of debris may take longer to burn off.

Da Vinci is one of very few brands who actually own and operate their own dedicated manufacturing facility so I take great concern on the materials brought in and our QC processes. We are engaged with the vape community in an unending effort to raise the bar and help bring the best products to market. In the end, we are a dedicated group of like-minded souls who wake and breathe the dream of building the ultimate vaporizer and we respect your insights.

So along with these elaborate explanations, I thank you for the scrutiny. Such comments have tuned our ears and I have buried myself in 'bowl research' for the last year.

Thank you again for your continued support and respectful comments.

Welcome to FC
Hope this helps explain :tup:

krunch

sorry if this is a dumb question but I can't figure out how to take off the cap of the heating chamber on the updated model. I feel like i'm just gonna break the hinge

krunch,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
You don't take that off krunch. What are you trying to do?

Dreamerr,
Reactions: OF

Dreamerr

Nope, you must have confused it with the screen and the straw. Have a session and it will all be ok.:science:

Dreamerr,
Reactions: krunch

Art

Is the magnetic version very different from the one with the button on the side? I was sold the non-magnetic version, and was curious.

Art,

Dreamerr

The magnet one opens wider and is easier to clean according to people who have it and DV. I haven't seen it in person.

Dreamerr,

GreenRoom

I got tired of scraping bits and pieces of herb off the screen so I started using the carts for flowers. So far I'm loving it. Keeps the unit nice and clean. And I can suck as hard as I want (giggity) with no clogging. I pre-pack a second cart and keep it in the storage bin. Kinda like the Pinnacle bullet approach. It takes an extra half minute to start getting vapor after it reaches temperature but for me it's worth it.

Art

I got tired of scraping bits and pieces of herb off the screen so I started using the carts for flowers. So far I'm loving it. Keeps the unit nice and clean. And I can suck as hard as I want (giggity) with no clogging. I pre-pack a second cart and keep it in the storage bin. Kinda like the Pinnacle bullet approach. It takes an extra half minute to start getting vapor after it reaches temperature but for me it's worth it.

That's actually a really good idea! Also have you had any experience with a rubbery taste? My unit is relatively new so I think I just have to do some burn-ins or something, haven't had the chance yet, but I will tomorrow night.

Art,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Art that taste will go away after a few sessions . as someone already posted it gets that smell/taste from the Black foam stuff that holds it in the box, a burn in probably won't help . Use the Davinci and the taste will go away , really it will .

RUDE BOY,

Art

Art that taste will go away after a few sessions . as someone already posted it gets that smell/taste from the Black foam stuff that holds it in the box, a burn in probably won't help . Use the Davinci and the taste will go away , really it will .

Alright, thanks! It's my first vape purchase so it freaked me out. It also doesn't help that I don't have it with me so I'm just antsy. :ugh:

Art,
Top Bottom