Davinci by Karma

OpalinDays

Last question is what do ya tell someone who just saw your unit, and inquires as to it's identity, and use? Inquiring minds need to know.

Hi, kind of new here. :wave:
I'm a sound engineer, and when I first saw the DaVinci it immediately made me think of a clip-on wireless transmitter, like these.

technique-sono-dj-tools-set-micro-sans-fil-17046-set-micro-sans-fil-sennheiser-xs-wireless-xsw-12-e.jpg

You could easily say that's what it is, but it would only work with strangers. People who know you would probably ask you what you'd want with such a device in the first place...

OpalinDays,

max

Out to lunch
I've used the iolite since it first came out, and was an early wispr owner as well. Neither has ever bothered me, taste wise, until near the end of the bowl, and the wispr more so than the iolite (surely due to the slightly higher temp on the wispr). I've come to the conclusion that, for me anyway, the less than great taste is due to a combination of the vape design plus taking multiple hits of ABV. In fact I've found the first iolite/wispr hit, after just getting up to vaping temp (about 90 sec. or so), to be very tasty. So if the DV has a better 'end of bowl' taste for me, vs. the O&B products, then it'll get a :tup: in the taste dept. from me. I don't expect a pocket portable to compete with the best of the desktop vapes in hits or taste though. It's design goal is weighted toward stealth vaping, and should be judged with that in mind. We don't see people complaining (without getting shouted down) about the lack of portability for large, home vapes, so the same consideration should be applied to small portables when judging aspects like taste and hit size.

max,

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
The kevlar pouch was something early on that was going be included, but ended up not being part of the finished package.

Extra brushes? hmm, we could sell a lot of those ;-)

The easiest way to clean the chamber in the davinci is a good old can of air, unless you're using extra sticky or wet materials. For the straw, a rinse in hot water will work since the straw is all silicon now (some early iterations, there were metal bands near the mouthpiece and base, but through testing, we found the metal got warmer to the lips than we liked).

We're working on some modifications for the screens so they'll be easier to manually remove but still serve their purpose and not fall out accidentally.

V-Rod, thanks for the feedback and comments. We use all feedback to determine what we're doing right and what we need to look into for improvements.

JacFlasche

I have been waiting and waiting for someone to do this right.
It simple really. You have the right idea with the batteries and heat unit, but and this is a big but, a truly optimal vaporizer would never consider anything but a totally sealed glass path from where the air enters the unit until it enters your mouth for both the cool air and the convection path, so for you to pretend that optimization is your sole priority is dubious at best. Fragility would not be an issue if the right glass is chosen and neither would outgassing free radicals from plastic which are probably more cancerous than burning the weed in the first place -- even if you can't smell or taste it at all. Please someone do this right and not approximately right and everyone in the solar system will buy one.

JacFlasche,

V-RodVapors4U

Why not you? Your intelligent, perhaps. Don't ya get tired of people that say they can or someone else, can do it a whole better. While they show no action to do so. Millions won't line up to buy if it happen to be a facist nation selling them.So Mr JacFlasche when can we expect your prototype to hit the Capitalist shores? Nothing is entirely safe. Check out thread on glass flaking. By the way as a non Jew your nazi symbol is offensive to myself and millions of others. Take a hike.

V-RodVapors4U,

mephisto

So I got my Davinci 3 days ago, and I wanted to submit my initial thoughts.
The unit heats up real fast. I read another review about temp setttings, and my
vape seems to go back to the last temp used. The first use I tried a temp of 380.
The incoming vape stream is warm/hot due to the limited travel path from cauldron
to mouth. I tried to jam a stainless drip tip into the stem, but did not want to trash
it. Perhaps the engineers will factor in a longer/cooler mouthpiece. The herb chamber
actually has 2 levels. You can load the oil can and drop it in, then load the top chamber.
Or, you can just place your charge in the lower chamber, and roll with that. I did not weigh
the amount used, but lets say it is =/< a solo stem load, less than an iolite load, you get
the picture. I did not load the chamber full, maybe about half. It took about 5-6 good
hits and then I was finished my session. The resulting abv is even and light coffee
colored. The next session was a temp setting of 375 and this seemed a lot better in terms
of heat in the mouth impact. Vapor production is quite good, this vape gets me a
better state of mind than my TV T1. Not to slam the TV, it also rocks.... The unit shows your
battery level in the display, and after 4 sessions I still show a 75% charge. Granted, my
sessions are short. The overall manufacturing quality is good, the case has a slight gap
at some of the seams during use, but hey, things expand under heat. The unit fits
nicely in your hand, and certainly can pass as a walkie-talkie, cell-phone, flux-capacitor,
what-have-you. I expect that the Davinci will replace my TV T1 as my everyday carry unit.
No more concerns w/ extra batteries. I am sure some purists will throw the vape back
on the charger after each use, but so far, I am still using the factory charge out of the box.
As hot as this vape gets, I imagine it will do concentrates very well. I will try it w/ some
hash and report back. I was quite skeptical at the initial release of this vape, and I did
not want to like it, let alone buy it. Well, I am glad that I did. The Davinci crew shipped it
fast (2 days from Vegas to the East Coast) and the shipping was free! The storage box
is well made with plenty of cushion. It appears that the manufacturer has a constant
presence here on FC, and they also appear to be very responsive to customer concerns
and questions. I consider this vape to be a good, travel ready brother to the Solo, without
the issue of a glass stem. As far as odor, or off-gassing I did one heat up cycle before
first use, this seemed to do the trick for me. There was a slight "new" smell, but nothing
to cause alarm. Good work Davinci! I look forward to further testing, and perhaps some
comfort/performance tweaks down the road......

mephisto

Nope, have not used the can yet. Just wanted to mention the added feature of it.
I should mention the storage compartment/brush are cool additions. Got enough
onboard storage for a day away from the headstash....Nice idea!

mephisto,

JacFlasche

All members must be treated in a respectful and adult manner. Please review the forum rules.
@V-rod the nimrod

First of all I take offense at your brainless association of a symbol that occurs in every ancient culture on earth, which is used to this day in several world religions and which appears nowhere on my little icon, with a murderous fascist regime. If you actually look at the graphic you would see it is not in fact a swastika that you are seeing but a two dimensional depiction of a trinary pinwheel and that around it are eight hexagrams which you, with you obvious mental powers probably think of as the star of David. which they are not, anymore than the circle is the circle of Japan. The Taoists and Buddhists not to mention the scores of other groups who understand what this symbol actually represents (along with many native American nations will be very unhappy to find out that they are nazis. If you yourself ever took enough peyote you may have seen this symbol swirlling around each time you moved to a higher level of consciousness, although from your reactionary and hostile post, I doubt that is an experience that you have had or would comprehend. This is actually a Jpeg of the cover of the best science fiction book I have ever read The Unwritten Book: Xellex, and the graphic you refer to is a depiction of a medal given to Salock warriors for heroism under fire. Nowhere in the book are Nazis or Jews mentioned.

Now as to the vaporizer. I may indeed make my own portable vap. However I am already fully employed and have no desire to become a merchant of anything. I have been vaporizing for over fifteen years and have yet to find anything that works better than a Steinel heatgun and a bong together with the right bowl that the heatgun fits into, and I have tried many. I have an iolite that I got years ago, payed over two hundred for it and it is sitting in my junk drawer.

If and when I put together a good portable vap I would try to do it in such a way that used off-the-shelf components. I am a glassblower, but not the kind that uses little torches and pyrex glass. I work out a furnace with about 250 lbs of molten glass in the tank but not the kind that you can use to make a pipe. If I do this I will indeed put up a DIY post. I mean even people of limited perceptual abilities like yourself deserve to have a toxin free vaporizer. When you say glass flakes you are absolutely mistaken that is like saying cars rust. Some do: some don't. Glass is not one thing it is a whole category of matter, and it is a fluid even at room temperatures, but it flows very slowly.
All I can say is that I love vaping, I have been using herb mostly every day for forty five years and I wish we would have had vaping back in the sixties, then we might have a really fine portable by now instead of the parade of "almosts-got-it-right that has been passing for years.

lwien

@V-rod the nimrod

First of all I take offense at your brainless association of a symbol that occurs in every ancient culture on earth, which is used to this day in several world religions and which appears nowhere on my little icon, with a murderous fascist regime. If you actually look at the graphic you would see it is not in fact a swastika that you are seeing but a two dimensional depiction of a trinary pinwheel and that around it are eight hexagrams which you, with you obvious mental powers probably think of as the star of David. which they are not, anymore than the circle is the circle of Japan. The Taoists and Buddhists not to mention the scores of other groups who understand what this symbol actually represents (along with many native American nations will be very unhappy to find out that they are nazis. If you yourself ever took enough peyote you may have seen this symbol swirlling around each time you moved to a higher level of consciousness, although from your reactionary and hostile post, I doubt that is an experience that you have had or would comprehend. This is actually a Jpeg of the cover of the best science fiction book I have ever read The Unwritten Book: Xellex, and the graphic you refer to is a depiction of a medal given to Salock warriors for heroism under fire. Nowhere in the book are Nazis or Jews mentioned.

Hey, maybe you might want to chill a bit. The graphic could easily be mistaken by anyone for a swastika and it surely doesn't mean that the person who did that made a "brainless association", for I kind of thought the same thing when I first saw it. While I appreciate your explanation of the background of that symbol that you used, you could have put forth that explanation without going on the attack.

But it does make one wonder why someone would post up an avy that could so easily be mistaken for a swastika AND, attached it to "Flasche", a German surname. To provoke controversy, maybe? It kinda falls under the same category as the guy who came into this site with a screen name of Tea Party and an avy of Rush Limbaugh.

Comon' Jac. You seem smart enough to be able to see the resemblance of something in your avy that could very easily be misunderstood. I can't fathom that you didn't recognize that before you attached it to your screen name.

(sorry for being off topic here guys, but I think this was worth mentioning)

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
No I think that it is more than appropriate to deal with such a matter; that post was wholly inflammatory, and even though I myself am quick to defend the Buddhist symbol of good fortune from those who mistakenly believe it be the sign of the Nazi's I could not help but shake my head in disgust at how rude and self indulgent that post was.

JF, if you are going to stay a member here at FC, then you need to read the rules. And one of the, if not THE most important rule around here is "Be Nice". You treat other members here with dignity and respect, regardless of any misconceptions they may have, especially over something as meaningless as an avatar. This isn't one of those underground hacking forums or reddit style clusterfuck where everyone is hostile to each other, this is a respectful community and if you are not in line with that you will be forcefully removed from it. So please act with a little more maturity.

also, if you are so convinced you have the ability to create a portable, battery powered vaporizer with an all glass airpath, by all means. I'm sure the reason it doesn't exist yet is because all of these companies just haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.

Dogman

Vaporist Extrordinair
That is part of the reason I enjoy this forum so much, respect. I understand JacFlasche wanting to get his point across, but it was very hostile. I have never read the rules, but I am still somewhat new to this forum and after lurking for a while, found a respectful, fair and firm discussion forum. It seemed right up my alley, so the angry post surprised me.

JacFlasche, it seems you have an awesome idea, and even though you have a job, you seem more than skilled at producing something the entire vaporization community would embrace. Give it some thought, having a job is okay, running your own business and supplying a safe, durable, reliable vaporizer would be financially and spiritually fulfilling. Go for it man!

Now off to read the rules!

Dogman,

JacFlasche

Dude, I just like the design. I lifted it from the net, it says right on it that it is a book. I guess it is easily mis-associated, I am still gonna use it. I have read everything from Huxley to Stephenson (two other favs) and this unknown novel out-does them all for trippyness. Anyhow I agree, that answering to Vrod in the same spirit that he addressed me was a mistake. Not in any moral sense, but for me personally it was inappropriate. The only reason I even bothered to post here is because DiVinci does seem like they are up front and responsive. I would love to be able to pay a couple hundred instead of building my own. Something without minor concerns. They say that's what they care about, right? I say, come on, how can that be? There are plastics out-gassing into the airstream if people smell it. No doubt it does become coated with tar and condensates and this sort of seals it after a while, plus new plastic and polymers that out gas hydrocarbons and various free radicals do decrease with time. But why? Why after all this time, is this still an issue? You guys tell me. I'm not asking because I think your product is inferior, I am asking because it seems like it may be the best at this time, certainly one of the top three portables that I am aware of.

In your design exactly what is heated? I want a portable that is truly convection.
Preferably some kind of heat exchanger arrangement were the air stream is isolated from the element whether it be electric or catalytic.
Do you isolate the heat source in the DiVinci from the batteries, I would use ceramic fiber insulation compound, how do you do it?

I mean, is it too difficult to use glass in manufacture?
I am actually going to move over to a different part of the forum, mybe DYI design ideas or something.
MY question to designers and OEMs (DaVinci) is -- If they are actually going through the trouble of designing and making these things, certainly there are a world of wonderful materials which would be totally inert will not smell or out-gas, even vapor deposited coatings on the plastics they already use, though to DIY - it would probably pay to just use off-the-shelf technical glassware. Or maybe some glass/metal alloy. There are many ways to eliminate these concerns, I am at a loss as to why it has not been done in a vap that actually works well -- like yours is reported to do.
The man said he wanted straight questions. What's to get upset about?

HoneyAir

I have to note that the tone of V-rod's comment that started this could also be considered hostile. It is depreciating and ends with 'take a hike'. Isn't that hostile too? I just don't want this accusation to be unfairly one-sided against a new forum member.

A nazi swatiska has solid sides at exact 90 degree angles, the symbol up there looks nothing like that, it is more like a pinwheel.

I'll refrain from posting further responses on this topic to keep this thread as on-topic as possible.

Modnote: Let's get back on topic please. Feel free to use the report feature though. Thank you.

V-RodVapors4U

Ok, I still love my Da Vinci. Its a testiment to how difficult it is to plz all. How bout dem extra brushes. By the way, working on back 40 I discovered my cheapo cig lighter will charge the DV. I get about 4 sessions between charges. Someone said earlier that the DV will hold last temp set at. Mine doesn't when you shut it off then back on it will go to factory setting. Rinsed out stem with hot water. My girl tasted nuttin. I always thought it was ok. You can detect a faint hint of your fav herb after you exhaust your first lungful. Not me my gal said so. Ha, so it must be true.

Sorry if i offend. I should not have said take a hike. Yep looks like a swastika with a German name. More recent times dictate this, it is not some ancient form of civilization long forgotten, as true as that may be. This isn't a ancient history class. Your a smart guy, why didnt you think of the pain and suffering that symbol created in recent history. But whatever with your deflection, Mr Flasche. I just point it out what I saw. Shine the spotlight on evil, and it quickly shrivels up, and disappears.

Modnote: Please see the note above.

V-RodVapors4U,

V-RodVapors4U

Anyone, plz make a video of cleaning the DV. Can I put a little ISO in the chamber to help clean the screen and chamber? Also this may sound sIlly but how do you guys load your DV? And how much in the chamber, all the way, or about half? By the way if you carry it around in your pocket, unscrew the stem first and lay flat in pocket. I think to go totally without anyone smelling your stuff, you'll need something like a space are stash holder. Then just load before use. Otherwise Ill occasionally get a whiff of unsmoked hits.

Oh geez not a love affair online in this forum. I think dat is EHarmony. MODS! JK...

V-RodVapors4U,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Woo hoo, finally got the Da Vinci in my hands and thought I'd do a quickie of what you get in the box.

I have the unit on charge now, though it came fully charged and I cant see any indication it's charging now.

Edit: A quick note about smell. It has a very very faint 'new' smell - much less than the M107 I got. I'll run a few cycles before use, but for me it's a non-issue so far.

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Thks JRRT...... look forward to your use review ;)

smokum,

mephisto

Hey J.R.R, I believe the main power switch needs to be on. This will illuminate the
charging bars in the lcd....Glad you got yours. Hope more folks contribute their thoughts.
I am diggin' mine....

mephisto,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Yup your right mephisto, the unit has to be switched on to charge and the bars on the battery move to indicate charging. I'm not sure if it's already discussed in the thread but I found that you can change the factory pre-set temp by holding down both the + & - buttons at the same time, then adjust temp and hold both buttons to set.

I did a video to see how easy it was out the box using it for the first time.
I managed about 10 more good rips after this vid from the same bowl.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Looks like you're enjoying it so far, JRR. :cool:

Keep us posted of your thoughts as you get to know it better.

Cheers! :cheers:

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Here's a closer look at the 'oil drums'. The two come as you see, one has cotton inside and the other empty. I tried using the empty one just now as a herb cart. I got barely any vapor and the herb inside the cart was super toasted. I will experiment more with using herb in them later but so far it's a no-no for herb. I will experiment with some oil in them when I get home.

This pic is the top and bottom of the cart.
oilbarrel1.jpg

This is the insides. You can see the central tube in the empty one.
oilbarrel2.jpg

The caps are made of white silicone. They are small at 18mm tall and 8mm diameter approx.

J.R.R.Tokin',

natural farmer

JRR, talk to us about the airflow... How is the drag compared to the Solo? I would love to advice an old lady to use this for her glaucoma but it needs to have a comfortable airflow to do so... :)

natural farmer,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
This has a very clear air-flow. You can pull hard with minimal drag. In the vid where I'm trying it I'm pulling medium soft to get those big clouds, so I guess a faster pull will result in a less dense inhale.

I will be home in 2 hours and then I will give it a good few hours solid testing. I love that you can use this while plugged in and charging.

Actually that's a question for the Da Vinci team. When it's plugged in are you using mains power directly or are you still drawing off the battery?

Also, for any one who might know, what is the best practice for charging Lithium Ion batteries (e.g run flat, or always top up?)

J.R.R.Tokin',
Reactions: ili
Top Bottom