Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Wow.
Didn't tell YOU to do anything. But YOU seem quite happy telling me what to do. YOU also seem a tad sensitive to stuff reacting so aggressively.
But whatever....I've nothing to private message you about tbf.
Ok man, fair enough, apparently I took your reply the wrong way... and perhaps I am overly sensitive at times, here (and everywhere)

I'm not anything, if I can't apologize.... so, I'm sorry. :peace:

And I'm sorry to all you other Puffco fans, too, as I know there are many, if my not liking them bothers you in any way (not implying this is the case you, @Chicken No Name).... I was just being honest. They may have great products, the BEST even, but I just can't stand the company as a whole.

Edit: and I came really, really close to getting a Proxy last 4/20, too.

Last edited:

Madtater

I grabbed a puffco plus last week. Been usingw it for a couple days now. Only complaint is that it gets pretty hot after a sesh. I like the portability of it.

I have my influx with banger etc, but i like the idea of a portable like the puffco plus.

I dont know if i will ever get the peak pro. I am sure it is excellent, but i think if it were up to that, i think i would just pull out the influx/banger.

AJS

Calm Consistency
I've always heard the conventional wisdom is that concentrates are more discreet than herb. But I dunno about that. Plus you can't really pre-load most dabbing devices.
In my experience, the smell of vaped flower lingers significantly longer than concentrates. Conduction or not.
Coming from my overwhelming anxiety of vaping through all of my college years in my dorm.

it is so much easier to do with a good herbal pure convection on demand vape anyway
Side by side on an airplane. You got the TM, I got a distillate no-terpene cart.
Let's see who gets caught first :brow:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
In my experience, the smell of vaped flower lingers significantly longer than concentrates. Conduction or not.
Coming from my overwhelming anxiety of vaping through all of my college years in my dorm.

Yeah but I think it is actually really easy to control, with Milaana etc, so there is minimal vapor and smell... I've taken it with me in a movie theater, vaping right next to a friend of mine, who had no idea lol I think you can do it with a oil pen too, just not as well, despite smells... Used them in a library lol

Side by side on an airplane. You got the TM, I got a distillate no-terpene cart.

Oh, no, I'm not even talking about a cart like that really exactly, but I would never use on a plane! lol certainly not herbs, but even a pen I would not use on the plane, that's what edibles are for ideally anyway :nod::lol:

florduh

Well. Let me tell you. As something of a lavatory vaping aficionado. As concentrates have improved over the years, this gambit has become significantly more difficult. Good live resin and especially live rosin carts fuckin stink!

Dispos don't really sell terpless distillate carts. They rarely sell terpless distillate in a syringe either. I guess I could buy one of the crappier botanical terpene flavored disty carts. But I don't like those very much so buying one for the express purpose of breaking Federal Law doesn't appeal to me.
The best move is ghosting a Live Resin cart hit. Immediately put the cart into an air tight container after your hit. Flush the toilet to really get some air flowing through there. You should be good.

You're right that hitting a Tinymight or something in that scenario would be ridiculous. But taking a dab of a Proxy wouldn't be much better.

but even a pen I would not use on the plane

....oh yeah. Me neither.

Important note to Law Enforcement: Everything written above is fictional/for entertainment purposes only/parody/non actionable/suck my dick.

florduh

Haha yeah don't get me wrong it sounds great and I could see a version of me that would... I just won't (not that risk scenario)

Oh for sure. Me neither. But a fictional version of me might sometimes have a long flight while nursing a hangover and an obligation after I land that makes coming down from an edible high less than ideal. That version of me might ghost a cartridge hit in the lavatory to take the edge off. In a video game, of course.

florduh

Ya I would never hide a disposable in my mask on the plane and pretend I'm sick by coughing ahead of time. That would be crazy.

How to always get your own row on Southwest flights

image.png

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Can you use kief in the same manner as wax/rosin/badder/etc in the same device like an e-rig or banger/glass
Not really unless it is like dry sift collected while harvesting/curing (even that leaves a mess), I tried pressing some grinder kief without much success. I find it better to add those 'dirty' types of concentrates to the top of a herb load in a ball vape for great results or even in a conduction-orientated vape if it gets hot enough.

Madtater

Not really unless it is like dry sift collected while harvesting/curing (even that leaves a mess), I tried pressing some grinder kief without much success. I find it better to add those 'dirty' types of concentrates to the top of a herb load in a ball vape for great results or even in a conduction-orientated vape if it gets hot enough.
Thank you. That is what i thought.

I haven’t dabbled outside of the live rosin/wax yet. I feel like those taste the best.

I was asking because i was going through mu stash last night and remembered i have an indica blend kief container (about 1g) from my indica grinder. May give it to a buddy of mine.

Shit Snacks

was asking because i was going through mu stash last night and remembered i have an indica blend kief container (about 1g) from my indica grinder. May give it to a buddy of mine

Yeah if you have conduction hybrid vape it could work well mixed in although sometimes messy... Alternatively you could just cook with it quickly, even just eat it with the right fat bonding (drink a milkshake lol No might need heat too actually)

AJS

Calm Consistency
Is it harder to pull good flavor from Rosin compared to something like Wax/Resin?
Does it require a significantly lower temp?

I have some average quality Wax that smells really strong, and I can pull that exact smell in terms of flavor every time around 475-550f.

Meanwhile, I have what seems to be some great quality Rosin, smells very strong, but I can't get anything other than a burny flavor at 525-550f.
I've lowered it down to around 450f after talking to the budtender and am able to get much better flavor.

That temp just seems so low though.

Is the nature of Rosin just more plant mattery due to the extraction process, and a bit more delicate when it comes to temperatures?

My process is:
Heat up the banger with the quartz pearl inside (both very clean)
Wait until the temp drops using my temp reader to around 500f
Drop the dab in, cap it with a marble, and let it sit for like 3-5 seconds before inhaling.

When done right, the terps are thick and taste great.
Otherwise, it'll be slight flavor with a burny exhale.

Is my concentrate bad, my technique bad, or is Rosin just needing a lower temp?

It's a Live Rosin Badder, it's not glass.

Shit Snacks

Is it harder to pull good flavor from Rosin compared to something like Wax/Resin?

I have some average quality Wax that smells really strong, and I can pull that exact smell in terms of flavor every time around 475-550f.

Meanwhile, I have what seems to be some great quality Rosin, smells very strong, but I can't get anything other than a burny flavor at 525-550f.
I've lowered it down to around 450f after talking to the budtender and am able to get much better flavor.

Is the nature of Rosin just more plant mattery due to the extraction process, and a bit more delicate when it comes to temperatures?

My process is:
Drop the dab in, cap it with a marble, and let it sit for like 3-5 seconds before inhaling.

Yeah there are too many different types of dabs and consistencies, I do think badder can be tricky sometimes, not all rosin is like that, but also yes lower temps for sure better especially going for flavors... There are differences in the plant matter present etc I think the others burn cleaner in a sense so you can go higher temp full extraction melt, but the plant presence in the rosin yields better effects yet lower temps superior...? There are really so many variables there!

I don't let dabs sit there hot, I try to inhale instantly as it is hitting the hot surface (easier with the hot knot and funnel slurper blender compared to buckets you have to load from the top though) or as close to it as I can, just feels like I'm wasting otherwise lol

mixchu69

My process is:

I usually go for the high end live rosins at local dispensaries (I’m in California). I mainly get live rosin (either badder, fresh press, or cold cure). Occasionally I get a gram that tastes pretty bad (burnt flavor) and noticed it’s not the temp on my enail. I just think the company pressed too hot or the material they used might have been substandard.

If you try another jar and it tastes burnt, then I would alter your technique.

AJS

Calm Consistency
If you try another jar and it tastes burnt, then I would alter your technique.
It's been an ongoing battle with The Wand which I recently switched to a better banger setup.
This has been significantly better.

I can definitely now force the good flavor now that I know I just need to go lower. Just strange how much easier I can handle some wax/resin compared to the Rosin in terms of flavor.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
No one ever told me cold starts are the bees knees holy moly!

Drop my concentrate in, use a light frothy flame, and hit when it bubbles. Great results.
Easy peasy, saves gas, and a significantly faster start up time.

Is there a big reason people prefer hot starts?
I enjoy cold-dropping loaded inserts into hot bangers.... it's like an automated cold start cuz I use coil(s) to heat the banger. Well, just the single Old Head Terp Ready one these days. Inserts can allow you to customize the dab surface.... quartz, ruby, sapphire, SiC etc.

Hot hits allow you to jam down more concentrate more quickly... it's kinda like a shots vs a mixed drinks sorta thing.... or session vs on-demand etc.... but then there's finding your own personal "balance"...

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Haha yeah I don't like trying to drop the concentrate in dry, I mean it depends on the concentrate consistency, but it is super tedious trying to use multiple tools etc (I've never used a hot knife)

The other thing is the cleaning after, more necessary and involved, I like hot start because I don't have to even clean, the torch is doing the cleaning each time I take a hit even though it is a longer process and takes more butane it is lazier for me?

I have dunk station stuff yet but I haven't tried it, tried a little with my buddy at his place last time, I don't know It's just a lot involved to get it cleaned right after and quick, but not too quick for the heat... Yeah doing so with a complicated slurper setup also feels annoying so I like the simpler blender style too, but diamond knots hot start are so simple!

And yeah I don't want to take multiple puffs, which seems to be a necessity cold starting, my buddy likes to do cold starts now, I originally learned hot start dabbing from him, so now when I try the cold start with him it can be intense trying to get so much because he also uses more material (that's the other thing, hot start lets me use such a tiny amount) and having to actively torch etc is pretty annoying I think... I don't use any torch vapes like that anymore largely for that reason among others... Mindlessly heating it up once just feels easier for me...

I will say you can get some incredible flavor and effects with a cold start though, so it can be nice for some variety depending on the other variables! I would sooner just use one of my erig qomo BAK setups for cold

CANtalk

No one ever told me cold starts are the bees knees holy moly!

Drop my concentrate in, use a light frothy flame, and hit when it bubbles. Great results.
Easy peasy, saves gas, and a significantly faster start up time.

Sweet, I've been preaching cold start dabs :bowdown::love:
Excellent using a premium electronic desktop all-glass airpath vape... at low temps to boot :goat: :science:

Enjoy!

:peace: :leaf:

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
@Shit Snacks pretty much nailed it, but I will add 2 things. If you like cold starts, get a hot knife and the ideal cold start stops making vapor as you are finishing your inhale. The perfect combo of dab size and heat.
edit to add that well managed dab size and heat also leads to easier cleanup.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Yeah, keep it really simple if you're not really into dabbing... no point in spending time and money on customizing it, I totally agree with that.... the old KISS... :tup:

Edit: and it's never a good idea to clean bangers with a torch... unless they don't get used much, of course.

And a hot knife is perhaps the easiest electronic tool in the world to use... have no fear!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom