Cheap High Quality Bubbler

Hexi

Way OT: Yeah exactly, my company does a ton of business in China as well, our biggest hurdles are the corruption and general business mindset.

Even with above board, highly regulated industries, the very first approach we felt in China was that of bribery and favor exchanging. Which is a major no-no here in the US, but considered normal in China. This was obviously very awkward from a business PoV, but because of our industry and our responsibilities, we kinda have to hard line on them. Instead of the normal "culture sharing" we would do with say the EU or Singapore etc..., with China we sort of had to start at a much higher level of educating them as to what restrictions and laws are non-negotiable for us.

Basically China is going through the hard goods MFG phase, a 'developing nation' but they are well into it, and doing so in 2014, where our MFG phrase was 20-80 years ago and has essentially ended for us. So there is this odd position where we as a nation have some of the best regulations and safety standards in the world, yet by the time we evolved them, we already shipped all MFG to 3rd world countries to cut costs...

And now China is finally being forced to abandon their suppressed currency model and are facing similar issues the US faced... mfg getting better tax breaks from other countries... so you see cases like FOXCONN where the pressure to compete, with lower prices is literally driving people to suicides.

------------------------------

So back on topic, yeah it's harder to get valid, verified MFG info from China. The concepts of quality and safety are very different due to the timing of when each country was industrialized + history. China didn't have the book "The Jungle" to spur development of the FDA etc...

But there is nothing stopping businesses from controlling their own MFG partners and ensuring high standards of quality and safety. In 20 years "cheap chinese glass" may be over and it will be complaints of "cheap pakistani glass' instead...and then on to the next cheapest 3rd world developing nation willing to work harder, in worse conditions for lower pay and with lower safety regs etc...

Bottom line is an educated eye can look over a piece of glass and judge for themselves if it looks up to par. They can also get as much MFG info as they can to help understand the quality...

But we are not idiots. We know that a $30 piece of glass is not the highest end piece you can get. We don't need some blowhard from Colie Glass condescending to us about rip offs, or quality etc...

There is room for both high quality expensive glass, and 'budget' glass that may or may not be high quality... who knows? Depends on the piece actually.

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
So, Colie and I were having a private discussion and what I've taken from our talk is that he's honestly concerned about people's health. After a lot of back and forth, he asked me to post the following:

Colie dont care about money. We only care about the community and all of us being happy and safe. We already offer 20% off any purchase for FCers, which is the highest Ive seen on this forum from any collective. So if anybody bought a waterpipe from aliexpress, before today we will do a full annealing on your piece if you can provide proof you bought it before we offered this service. All you have to pay is shipping and we will take your piece and kiln it to the proper temps and take the proper time to let them cool. You will see a cleaner clearer glass as as its durability to withstand more abuse." Clean your pieces and contact me for shipping information. I already mentioned the cost of running a kiln, and I promise we dont have kilns as large as those factories but we will eat the cost for the safety of our fellow members of this culture. We are all on the same team, so even if you wanna say FUCK ME, I will still do the process on your piece cause I am concerned. If I was doing something that is risky to my well being, I would want somebody to atleast tell me so I could research it myself. I certainly wouldnt result to calling sombody names who was just offering their point of view on the subject. And not to mention the co owner of Colie Glass is chinese, was born there and also worked in glass factory from the age of 12 to 26.. so WE can offer a rarely heard perspective on the issue." a perspective that could some up the entire debate on imports vs. domestic smoking glass. Can anybody name one chinese company who makes smoking accessories that has the reputatuion for only the best? how many domestic companies have that reputation? point being, you often get what you pay for. this process will take one day from your products arrival to me. the next day it will ship back out. very quick and easy process" or fuck me, whichever you like."

So, I thought this was a pretty cool service to offer. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll probably take advantage of this.

oneinfinitecreator

Again, I hope nobody thought I was slamming Colie - i've bought from them and only have good things to say. Maybe the aliexpress pieces aren't annealed, but then again, maybe they are? Unless Colie has actually touched one of these, they can only know as much as any of us, no?

Colie are great guys, and I hope anybody looking for mid-range glass considers them. Their offer only proves this reputation. Taking health seriously when dealing with glass is an awesome point of view and we should all encourage that type of thinking in the big picture.

Just a quick reply to Hexi on our off-topic convo:

Even with above board, highly regulated industries, the very first approach we felt in China was that of bribery and favor exchanging. Which is a major no-no here in the US, but considered normal in China.

I'd argue it's one and the same. Over here, its just better hidden in lobbyists, politics, and nepotism. :p Otherwise, I hear ya, but they may figure out a better way in the future as well...

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
The thing that strikes me glaringly is the fact that these similar hc ac's have been out far longer than the bubbler. Where was the concern there may I ask? Now those same hc ac's are everywhere for around thirty bucks. Can we get our Ali ex hc ac annealed too as long as we bought it before yesterday, bc health only matters if you bought previously now that the secret is out tough luck! I don't buy their bull bc it smells like shit to me!

http://www.glassalchemy.com/relieving_stress

http://www.hotglass.com/twk/twk1.html

So I'm guessing Collie owns these pieces and knows exactly what type of glass it is, so it can be properly annealed at the correct temperature? Still would like more info about dust in improperly annealed pieces, only have heard about dust problems in the cheaper frits, everything I've read deals with breakage being the major concern with annealing.

Last edited:

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I purchased a 12" can with fritted disc form these guys for around 100 Canadian http://www.ioffer.com/selling/maxqualityglass They seem like a great deal. I will have pictures and maybe a video when it comes in(estimated delivery is tomorrow!)
Thanks for the link, I just paid for a couple of pieces from them :)

Sadly it seems to have kicked the GAS back into overdrive...
I've gone from no new pieces for a few months, to 5 new pieces in the last week or so :lol:

Has anyone tried their double fritted disc bub?
It'll be interesting comparing it to my DG pieces :brow:

xer0

While that is very nice of Colie to offer that I am going to respectfully decline as I am failing to see this safety concern that he is bringing up.

I am also no expert but still I tried to research glass leaching from non-annealing and couldn't find anything to backup that statement. As a matter of fact the first link that Google gave me went right to this thread. Everything else I found just spoke of an increased danger of breakage in non-annealed pieces. Something that would suck yes but at the same time its a $20 pipe...I don't expect it to last forever. To be fair too...I dinged it pretty good against the side of the kitchen sink when I was cleaning it the other day and its still standing strong. ;)

Truthfully I am really enjoying this piece now that I've found my preferred water level. It fits perfectly into my LSV bag so its great for on the go. The downstem is really crooked but amazingly all of the slits on the showerhead fire and it stacks really well.

Skeena

Standing stone faced like a statue.
Thanks for the link, I just paid for a couple of pieces from them :)

Sadly it seems to have kicked the GAS back into overdrive...
I've gone from no new pieces for a few months, to 5 new pieces in the last week or so :lol:

Has anyone tried their double fritted disc bub?
It'll be interesting comparing it to my DG pieces :brow:

I just got my item yesterday, I will upload some pictures after I get home from class! I have not tried a double fritted disc but this one with the single stacks like crazy once the water is used a little. I kinda dislike the glass nail that it comes with though. It has a pit in the middle and doesnt wanna get hot enough at that point, and when I put my dabber on the side where it is hottest, some oil usually drips down below the nail which I dont like to see.

I am gonna have to invest in a titanium nail soon.

Hexi

My first ever 'pipe' was made out of one of these a few hundred years ago. I'm pretty sure it wasn't annealed properly. Cut out the top, put tinfoil for a screen, then plastic straw for the tube in another small hole... I was very young :science:
$T2eC16NHJIYE9qUcM7y6BQe1tdtZ2Q~~60_35.JPG

Anyone get a recent scientific glass recycler they like for vaping?

redglassgallery

JHANPIXEL
Glass Blower
So, Colie and I were having a private discussion and what I've taken from our talk is that he's honestly concerned about people's health. After a lot of back and forth, he asked me to post the following:

Colie dont care about money. We only care about the community and all of us being happy and safe. We already offer 20% off any purchase for FCers, which is the highest Ive seen on this forum from any collective. So if anybody bought a waterpipe from aliexpress, before today we will do a full annealing on your piece if you can provide proof you bought it before we offered this service. All you have to pay is shipping and we will take your piece and kiln it to the proper temps and take the proper time to let them cool. You will see a cleaner clearer glass as as its durability to withstand more abuse." Clean your pieces and contact me for shipping information. I already mentioned the cost of running a kiln, and I promise we dont have kilns as large as those factories but we will eat the cost for the safety of our fellow members of this culture. We are all on the same team, so even if you wanna say FUCK ME, I will still do the process on your piece cause I am concerned. If I was doing something that is risky to my well being, I would want somebody to atleast tell me so I could research it myself. I certainly wouldnt result to calling sombody names who was just offering their point of view on the subject. And not to mention the co owner of Colie Glass is chinese, was born there and also worked in glass factory from the age of 12 to 26.. so WE can offer a rarely heard perspective on the issue." a perspective that could some up the entire debate on imports vs. domestic smoking glass. Can anybody name one chinese company who makes smoking accessories that has the reputatuion for only the best? how many domestic companies have that reputation? point being, you often get what you pay for. this process will take one day from your products arrival to me. the next day it will ship back out. very quick and easy process" or fuck me, whichever you like."

So, I thought this was a pretty cool service to offer. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll probably take advantage of this.

i think this is a good idea, for anyone who has a old piece that needs be freshened up a good kiln cycle will make the glass sparkle like brand new and it wipes away any built up stress from years of abuse.

remember glass has memory and it doesnt forget all those times u banged it on something

Skeena

Standing stone faced like a statue.
Here is a video of it in action with my extreme q and a bonus image.
In person if you look close you can see a little bit of a rough edge where they seamed the edges together but I dont mind at all. Thats the nail I was talking about, you can see how it has the indent in the middle and it does not get hot in that spot to vaporize.

XCAzR4t.jpg

And an image of some stacking with clean water(self boiled)
IMelpZZ.jpg
[/media]

SD_haze

Looks pretty good, I've had my eye on this one for a while - http://thick-quality-glass.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/12-extreme-fritted-disc-perc

Anyone have any info on these cheap frits? Do they work good with vapes + are they safe?
I've only seen one talk of cheap fritted disks. Unfortunately wasn't positive.
Yes it's from a glassblower who sells things, but he doesn't sell any fritts so it's not like he has anything to gain financially from the statements.

yea we tried that - colie hooked me up w. some discs but when we firepolished it all the holes closed up .

so it was either don't polish it and risk dust flaking off or wait for another method -

---

patiently waiting haha

but there are chinese imported frit discs already

ive seen some on ioffer for cheap

just beware of the dust
FRIT sourcing ( still haven't been able to find a supplier who can make the disc w/o flaking - i wont make tubes that leak frit dust - too dangerous )

NOTE: This kind of glass dust seems to be a different claim than the possible issue from improperly annealed glass.

SD_haze,

sxmokeUP

former combustionist
There are different types of frits.
The white ones you see w/ super small pores are most likely quartz frits used in lab environments and they come in different pore sizes.

The other ones look like thousands of small tiny shards of glass fused together. DG and GBD produce ones like that.

Rocket

Danger Zone!
Just got my AliExpress order in, just posting some pics of the pieces prior to cleaning in case people were wondering what they looked like right out of the box.

UGQt126.jpg

d9Gwt1M.jpg

Y9S1iWl.jpg

NWVuhiE.jpg

gSDbujn.jpg

Fkq11Kx.jpg

All in all considering the price I am very happy with what I received. :)

jambandphan03

in flavor country
:clap: glad you got your glass, it doesn't look too bad considering. Personally I think the worse things about this glass that I've seen so far is the poor placement of the perc, and obvious sloppiness in alinement. But again what can you expect at such a price/shipped. I'm just happy people are getting them, and they are sending the right pieces. My $40 bub from pipesdaddy is really poorly made too, but it's been a real solid travel piece for me so far. I hope mine show up soon too. Managed to get out of having to go camp in the rain this weekend!! :rockon:

BranFlakes188

I also received my $33 HC bub (the first of Rocket's pics) yesterday. Have to say that I'm hugely impressed. Although the alignment of the stem is slightly off, it doesn't seem to affect the functionality at all. I've used worse bubs that are sold for many times the price. The glass looks to be a decent thickness and tastes wonderful, what more could I ask for?

Top Bottom