1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Cannabis News

Discussion in 'Cannabis News and Activism' started by vtac, Jun 26, 2008.

1. macbill

macbill Gregarious Misanthrope

Misdiagnosed reaction to marijuana becoming more common as states relax laws

A little-known, painful reaction to heavy use of potent marijuana is popping up in emergency departments, hospitals and clinics across the country.

Because the condition is often misdiagnosed, frequent users of large amounts of cannabis with high levels of the euphoria-inducing component THC find themselves in continuing agony and often receiving unneeded diagnostic testing and sometimes surgery exceeding $100,000.

Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome presents endless cycles of violent vomiting and abdominal pain Although first reported in medical journals in 2004, many physicians, pot sellers and users still don’t know about it.

2. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

I first learned of this condition here at FC last year... this place keeps me so ahead of the curve.

This news thread is my most favorite of all and i check back several times a day. Thanks for all the info!

Vapor_Eyes and CuckFumbustion like this.
  3. snamuh

snamuh ghost

Metrics.

4. CuckFumbustion

CuckFumbustion Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.

5. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Mellow drivers? Study says states with medical-marijuana laws have lower traffic fatality rates

States with medical-marijuana laws have fewer traffic fatalities than those without, especially among younger drivers, a new study has found.

You would think crash rates might be higher, supposing that more drivers are, too — especially around midnight, when a run to a 7-Eleven becomes necessary.

But, no. Researchers at Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health found an 11 percent reduction in traffic fatalities on average when examining places that have enacted medical-marijuana laws — 23 states and the District of Columbia. The presence of medical-marijuana dispensaries also correlated with fewer traffic fatalities, the study found.

Silvia Martins, a physician and associate professor who was the study’s senior author, theorized that lower traffic fatality rates in states with marijuana laws might be related to lower levels of alcohol-impaired driving as people, especially younger people, substitute weed for booze. (cont)

Driver pulled over for speeding had 250 pounds of pot in a minivan, police say

Like many minivans, the Chrysler Town & Country boasts a lot of interior cargo space. The 2016 model offered nearly 144 cubic feet.

Plenty of room, apparently, for a California man who police say was driving through Maryland this month with at least 250 pounds of marijuana in the back. For reasons not immediately clear, the man also was driving at what police say was excessive speed on Interstate 270. (cont)

Now, look at the picture in this article. If you were driving THAT through a non-legal state, might you not consider driving within the speed limit and avoiding anything else that would attract the cops. sigh...this guy fails the Darwin test IMO. LOL

After legalization, teen marijuana use drops sharply in Colorado

een marijuana use fell sharply in Colorado in the years 2014 and 2015, after the opening of that state's recreational marijuana market, new federal survey data show.

The state-level data from the National Survey on Drug Use and Health showed that 18.35 percent of Coloradans ages 12 to 17 had used marijuana in the past year in 2014 or 2015, down sharply from 20.81 percent in 2013/2014. (In this survey, years are paired for state-level data to provide larger sample sizes). That works out to roughly a 12 percent drop in marijuana use, year-over-year.

So much for the over wrought hysteria in Arizona, eh?

6. Baron23

Montgomery to appeal ruling on Arizona medical marijuana law
    PHOENIX — Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery says he’ll ask the Arizona Supreme Court to review a lower court’s ruling that the state’s medical marijuana law is constitutional in requiring counties to approve reasonable zoning regulations.

The Court of Appeals’ ruling Tuesday rejected Montgomery’s argument that the state medical marijuana law is pre-empted by the federal Controlled Substances Act, a federal law that still makes marijuana illegal.

The case in the appeal decided by the appeals court started with a legal dispute over whether Maricopa County officials had to approve zoning for a medical marijuana dispensary in Sun City.

Montgomery reacted to the latest ruling by saying that allowing Arizona’s medical marijuana program to stand despite the federal law undermines federalism and the “fundamental principle of the rule of law.”

This guy is a total dick:bang:

BD9, His_Highness, Adobewan and 2 others like this.
  7. lwien

lwien Well-Known Member

So is their sheriff.

cybrguy, BD9, His_Highness and 4 others like this.
  8. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy FUCK CANCER TOO !

Sounds like a real AZ! (yuck, yuck....couldn't help myself!)

BD9 likes this.
  9. waxdab23

waxdab23 Well-Known Member

Michael Floyd is in for it.

10. macbill

Branding Humboldt: Cannabis market seeks to cash in region’s recognition

... [T]he cannabis industry has wasted no time in taking advantage of Humboldt County’s recognition as a cannabis cultivation center and using it as a branding tool — even if the product isn’t from the area.

“There’s a Humboldt dispensary in Colorado,” Humboldt County cannabis cultivator and True Humboldt brand operations manager Chrystal Ortiz said. “... There are people using our history and cultural experience and background as a brand.”

But after the passage of new marijuana laws in California over the past two years, Humboldt County marijuana will now have nearly the same protection from misbranding as a Napa wine.

BD9, His_Highness, CarolKing and 4 others like this.
  11. macbill

Marijuana use and schizophrenia: New evidence suggests link

Recent research suggests that not only are people who are prone to schizophrenia more likely to try cannabis, but that cannabis may also increase the risk of developing symptoms.

Studies show that cannabis use is more common among people with psychosis than in the general population, and that it may also increase the risk of psychotic symptoms.

His_Highness, BD9, Vapor_Eyes and 2 others like this.
  12. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

Yeah, well, I'm absolutely sure that they have causation down here. After all, there is NO chance that people who have mental and emotional maladies would EVER try to self medicate to deal with their symptoms. For example, no people with mental conditions drink, right? So why might they look for some other kind of help?

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that Cannabis is a cure for mental illness, but I will certainly state that in MY OWN LIFE cannabis reduces stress and makes day to day like easier to cope with. And while not a good replacement for therapy, it is certainly a help for many emotional difficulties.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    His_Highness, Adobewan, BD9 and 7 others like this.
  13. grokit

grokit well-worn member

While cannabis use is indeed useful for day-to-day medication, like many medicines you can get into a rut with it that may impede progress in the bigger picture. But at least it's more fun than the others.

It's much safer too :spliff:

BD9, His_Highness, OldNewbie and 2 others like this.
  14. howie105

howie105 Well-Known Member

Who do I trust more to build an acceptable market, the people I know already or the same local, state and federal bureaucrats and their enforcers that have been suppressing pot and ruining lives for decades?

macbill likes this.
  15. Amoreena

Amoreena Grown up Flower Child

This ^^ :2c:

16. Baron23

A ‘light at the end of the tunnel’ for long-awaited medical marijuana program

y Fenit Nirappil December 26 at 4:10 PM

Medical marijuana could finally become a reality next year in Maryland, one of the states slowest to make the drug available for purchase after legalizing sales.

In 2016, regulators awarded long-awaited licenses to grow, process and sell cannabis while grappling with fallout from those shut out of the potentially lucrative industry. Now selected businesses are racing to set up facilities and pass final inspections so the first seeds can be planted and flowers can hit the shelves by the end of 2017, four years after lawmakers legalized marijuana for medicinal purposes.

“For many of us who have been along this journey for a long time, that we have seen licenses issued is a light at the end of the tunnel for patient access,” said Darrell Carrington, a medical marijuana lobbyist who leads the Maryland Cannabis Industry Association.
    (cont)

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. Maryland state government has the uncanny ability to fuck up even wiping their collective asses much less stand up a program. They say that the patient registry will be open in first calendar quarter of 2017, but they have been saying stuff like that for almost four years. We will see.

17. macbill

18. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

Nevada breach.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/nevada...s-of-medical-marijuana-dispensary-applicants/
    Nevada's state government website has leaked the personal data on over 11,700 applicants for dispensing medical marijuana in the state.

Each application, eight pages in length, includes the person's full name, home address, citizenship, and even their weight and height, race, and eye and hair color. The applications also include the applicant's citizenship, their driving license number (where applicable), and social security number.​

Papa Woody, BD9, His_Highness and 4 others like this.
  19. Baron23

Christ....and people wonder why we hold Government bureaucracies in utter contempt. Seems like NV is in a race to the bottom with MD.....but their taxes are lower than mine. sigh

Papa Woody, BD9, His_Highness and 2 others like this.
  20. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

I had to get a number from the IRS to practice in front of it. (PTIN) A lot of personal information went into the required federal application including all personal contact information. Some genius decided to do a FIOA request for all the information and the government fulfilled it. All contact data for all with numbers was put out publicly.

Guess how long it took for my email inbox to explode with spam from anyone who thinks I need a calculator?

grokit, His_Highness and macbill like this.
  21. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

What I'm imagining in some of these newly voted legal states (medical too) for cannabis the laws are still a bit blurry sorta speak. I see folks taking the initiative and starting to sell products and cannabis products like at farmers markets.

I was just thinking about the farmers markets I miss. Some of you need to do something like that where you live. Different laws for different areas so you would have to see what would be somewhat legal for your area.

WA state medical laws weren't written very well back in 1998 so there were a lot of gray areas. You can take advantage when they aren't clear with the law.

When I think back about how much money I saved on medical it makes me want the old days back. I just found some 1/4 oz left of some Banana Kush I bought for $100 an oz. it was still fresh in a canning jar from June, no boveda pack either. It was in a box.

Some of the cannabis from the shops are on the dry side. I'm trying not to buy cannabis dated from last summer.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    grokit and OldNewbie like this.
  22. BabyFacedFinster

BabyFacedFinster Capo di tutt'i capi

macbill, BD9, grokit and 3 others like this.
  23. Baron23

What happened in Washington state after voters legalized recreational marijuana

The nation's first recreational marijuana shop opened nearly three years ago in Colorado. Since then, a growing body of research has shown that the availability of recreational marijuana — in Colorado and elsewhere — is having little to no effect on teens' propensity to smoke weed.

That's the conclusion, at least, of the official statistics out of Colorado through 2015. It's what federal data shows nationwide through this year. And it's also backed up by other federal surveys of drug use in the states where marijuana is legal.

The data on this point has been consistent enough that longtime skeptics of the merits of marijuana legalization, like Nora Volkow of the National Institute on Drug Abuse, are expressing surprise at the findings. “We had predicted based on the changes in legalization, culture in the U.S. as well as decreasing perceptions among teenagers that marijuana was harmful that [accessibility and use] would go up,” Volkow told U.S. News and World Report earlier this month. “But it hasn’t gone up.”

However, a study out Tuesday in the journal JAMA Pediatrics flies somewhat in the face of the new conventional marijuana wisdom. Examining marijuana use among high school students in Washington state two years before and after the vote to legalize in 2012, it finds that rates of marijuana use increased by about 3 percent among 8th- and 10th-graders over that period (cont)

If you read the full article, it would appear that these researches have no idea why there are some significant outliers in their data....well, they come up with some self-serving stuff but they really have no clue.

24. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

I remember taking drug and alcohol surveys when I was in high school. Nobody even told the truth. Now that cannabis is legal they probably felt more comfortable telling the truth. Even though the surveys are anonymous I was a paranoid kid. Maybe that was just me.

Maybe kids are choosing to use cannabis over alcohol? That would be a better choice if they are going to use a substance. I did read the article. Were the surveys the same? I was curious about that with WA and CO. It sounds like it was the same as the state's previous survey.

The results could be scewed. Some folks in high office were against legal cannabis. Maybe they want the system to fail and appear to be a bad thing? I'm just thinking out loud and question the results.

Our legal cannabis systems are not exactly the same.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    macbill, His_Highness, BD9 and 3 others like this.
  25. BabyFacedFinster

BabyFacedFinster Capo di tutt'i capi

I edited my last comments because I don't want to stir a political debate.

I am so frustrated by the constant battle that cannabis always needs to endure. Some day it will be mainstream. I only hope I live long enough to witness it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    macbill, His_Highness, BD9 and 3 others like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors