Cannabis News

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I sure hope this is true:
Obama Will Sign Executive Order Removing Marijuana From Schedule One

The outgoing president will sign an executive order reversing President Richard Nixon's 1970 order, listing Marijuana as a Schedule One Drug, forbidden at all times. This is said to have been a jab at 1960's "Hippy Culture."

President Barack Obama, who wrote of experimenting with marijuana as a young man, will legalize marijuana on his way out of office. He will make pot a Class II drug, legal under Federal law with a doctors prescription. States will be able to continue to outlaw marijuana, if they choose. About half of US States now permit medicinal cannabis or recreational marijuana, within certain limits.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I could have posted this in the WA state cannabis thread but I thought it would be more visible here. Something like this could go nationwide.

Media Awareness Project Drug News
  1. US WA: Cannabis And Conservation
    New York Times, 25 Nov 2016 - TUMWATER, Wash. - Behind the covered windows of a nondescript two-story building near the Olympia Regional Airport, hundreds of marijuana plants were flowering recently in the purple haze of 40 LED lights. It was part of a high-stakes experiment in energy conservation - an undertaking subsidized by the local electric company. With cannabis cultivation poised to become a big business in some parts of the country, power companies and government officials hope it will grow into a green industry.

MARIJUANA

Can’t pay for your medical marijuana? A new fund might help
A Washington cannabis business group will be starting a charitable fund to help patients defray the cost of medical marijuana products.

Read more here: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/politics-government/marijuana/#storylink=cpy

Edit
@macbill I hope that's right too. I just heard Obama not too long ago on Bill Maher talking about it. He didn't sound hopeful. We will find out and pretty soon.

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

The outgoing president will sign an executive order reversing President Richard Nixon's 1970 order, listing Marijuana as a Schedule One Drug, forbidden at all times. This is said to have been a jab at 1960's "Hippy Culture."

President Barack Obama, who wrote of experimenting with marijuana as a young man, will legalize marijuana on his way out of office. He will make pot a Class II drug, legal under Federal law with a doctors prescription. States will be able to continue to outlaw marijuana, if they choose. About half of US States now permit medicinal cannabis or recreational marijuana, within certain limits.

Very curious. What's the source?

All I found was this shit:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...n-his-agenda-for-2016/?utm_term=.12230b715f18

Tranquility

It apparently takes more than an executive order to change scheduling.

https://www.theweedblog.com/will-obama-re-schedule-or-de-schedule-marijuana-before-leaving-office/
As you can see, it’s not like Obama can just pull out a ball point pen, sign a form, and consider it done. It would take a fairly epic effort on his part to achieve the goal of re-scheduling or de-scheduling marijuana. Congress could do it with a lot less steps. So I wouldn’t fault Obama if he tried and wasn’t able to get all the way through the bureaucratic labyrinth. But what I do fault Obama on is not trying at all. I don’t expect Obama to make it to the finish line on changing marijuana’s federal status, but I would absolutely like to see him go from ‘Congress needs to do it’ to ‘I personally want Congress to do it, and I’m giving them the directive to do it or I’ll try to take matters into my own hands.’ I don’t think that’s too much to ask at this point, considering a recent poll found that a record 61% of Americans support ending marijuana prohibition.​

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removal_of_cannabis_from_Schedule_I_of_the_Controlled_Substances_Act
Cannabis could be rescheduled either legislatively, through Congress, or through the executive branch. Congress has so far rejected all bills to reschedule cannabis. However, it is not unheard of for Congress to intervene in the drug scheduling process; in February 2000, for instance, the 105th Congress, in its second official session, passed Public Law 106-172, also known as the Hillory J. Farias and Samantha Reed Date-Rape Drug Prohibition Act of 2000,[21] adding GHB to Schedule I.[22] On June 23, 2011, Rep. Barney Frank and Rep. Ron Paul introduced H.R. 2306,[23] legislation that would completely remove cannabis from the federal schedules, limiting the federal government's role to policing cross-border or interstate transfers into states where it remains illegal.

The Controlled Substances Act also provides for a rulemaking process by which the United States Attorney General can reschedule cannabis administratively. These proceedings represent the only means of legalizing medical cannabis without an act of Congress. Rescheduling supporters have often cited the lengthy petition review process as a reason why cannabis is still illegal.[9] The first petition took 22 years to review, the second took 7 years, the third was denied 9 years later. A 2013 petition by two state governors is still pending.

Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton supports transferring cannabis to Schedule II,[24] while Bernie Sanders has introduced a bill to remove it from the schedules altogether.[25]

Rulemaking proceedings[edit]
Stages in rescheduling proceedings
  • Filing of Petition with DEA
  • Acceptance of Petition by DEA
  • Initial Review by DEA
  • Referral to HHS
  • Scientific and Medical Evaluation by HHS
  • HHS Report to DEA
  • Evaluation of Additional Information by DEA
  • Publication of DEA Decision
  • (Judicial review by the U.S. Court of Appeals)
  • (Public Hearing on Disputed Matters of Fact)
The United States Code, under Section 811 of Title 21,[26] sets out a process by which cannabis could be administratively transferred to a less-restrictive category or removed from Controlled Substances Act regulation altogether. The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) evaluates petitions to reschedule cannabis. However, the Controlled Substances Act gives the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), as successor agency of the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, great power over rescheduling decisions.

After the DEA accepts the filing of a petition, the agency must request from the HHS Secretary "a scientific and medical evaluation, and his recommendations, as to whether such drug or other substance should be so controlled or removed as a controlled substance." The Secretary's findings on scientific and medical issues are binding on the DEA.[27] The HHS Secretary can even unilaterally legalize cannabis: "f the Secretary recommends that a drug or other substance not be controlled, the Attorney General shall not control the drug or other substance." 21 U.S.C. § 811(b).

Baron23

I don't see in the article where this is attributed to anyone at all?? No sources cited at all....makes it just speculation in my book until either sources are cited or Obama does the right thing and in fact does reschedule MJ.

MinnBobber

So I wouldn’t fault Obama if he tried and wasn’t able to get all the way through the bureaucratic labyrinth. But what I do fault Obama on is not trying at all. I don’t expect Obama to make it to the finish line on changing marijuana’s federal status, but I would absolutely like to see him go from ‘Congress needs to do it’ to ‘I personally want Congress to do it, and I’m giving them the directive to do it or I’ll try to take matters into my own hands.’ I don’t think that’s too much to ask at this point, considering a recent poll found that a record 61% of Americans support ending marijuana prohibition.
X2

And doing it going out the door is like hiding from the issue. It's like, I don't really believe in this issue so I'll do it as I leave..... That continues the "bad stigma" of cannabis

Baron23

Why California’s legal marijuana sales rollout could be delayed

SANTA ROSA — Amid the euphoria of this weekend’s famed Emerald Cup weed fest, there was this creeping buzzkill: the glacial rollout of legalization.

Right when it seems like “The Great Pot Moment” is upon us, it turns out there are a lot of really tough regulatory issues to resolve first, according to government and industry experts who sketched out all the thorny challenges at the two-day conference, competition and harvest celebration at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds.

And implementation of commercialization could be delayed a year until 2019, said insiders. (cont)

F*cking asshole politicians and bureaucrats. No wonder a lot of people in this country want to give them their walking papers.

Recreational Marijuana In Mass. — The Legal Do's And Don'ts To Know

Recreational marijuana is becoming legal in Massachusetts — legal, but not readily available.

The ballot question approved by voters Nov. 8 is scheduled to go into effect Thursday, allowing adults to have limited quantities of marijuana for recreational purposes and grow pot plants in their homes. The catch: It's still illegal to sell marijuana in Massachusetts -- except to registered medical marijuana patients -- and will remain so for at least a year until the first pot shops are licensed and regulated.

For now, it's smoke 'em if you got 'em.

"For the average citizen ... this is going to mean they have to wait a while until they can go into a store or facility and purchase marijuana over the counter," said Martin Healy, chief legal counsel for the Massachusetts Bar Association. (cont.)

More asshole politicians and bureaucrats.

Let’s maximize medical use of marijuana
s the smoke cleared after Election Day 2016, we found ourselves at the dawn of a new era for cannabis in the United States.

As early as this week in Massachusetts, and over the course of the next few weeks and months elsewhere, new marijuana laws will go into effect. On Election Day, four states, including California (the most populous state in the union), voted to legalize recreational marijuana, bringing the national total to eight states plus the District of Columbia. Four other states voted to allow the use of cannabis in a medical capacity, which means that medical marijuana is now legal in more than half of all states.

To put the election results into perspective, the percentage of Americans now living in an area where recreational marijuana is legal, or will soon be, rose from 5 percent to 20 percent.

Given the accelerated acceptance for the use of cannabis, it’s worth considering the consequences of these new laws. There has been plenty of hand-wringing about how these new laws might harm society, but I believe they have the potential to help in a range of societal issues. (cont)

Activists Roll Joint, Offer Free Pot at Jeff Sessions Office as Threats Swirl to Legalization Framework
Marijuana legalization activists returned to the office of Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions on Thursday, successfully sneaking cannabis past a security checkpoint so they could offer it for use by the attorney general nominee or his staff.

Sessions communications director Chris Jackson deftly handled the two dozen office visitors, listening politely to stories about medical use of the plant and arguments against prohibition, but he declined to accept a sample of the drug that is increasingly legalized or decriminalized at the state level but remains illegal in the eyes of federal authorities.

Although at least two activists brought weed, with one laying some on a table and another rolling a joint as he wore a hunk on his suit jacket, Jackson did not call U.S. Capitol Police, who can and do make arrests on federal charges for bring pot onto Capitol grounds.

The permissive approach was welcomed by the activists, who recommended that Sessions commit to a similarly hands-off policy if he leads the Justice Department (cont)
Jeff Sessions = politician Politicians and bureaucrats = assholes Couldn't happen to a nicer guy, yeah...right. LOL

Receptor

Found this, this morning......sorry could not link..(neurons misfiring)
Interplay of medical use and legalization in Israel.....
Bottom half of the article under "While were in the hood"

OSHAUGHNESSYS ONLINE.....second column...latest
ISRAEL GETTING SYQED

CANNABIS.......Cluster Headache......ReNew....Mission...Good to-GO!!

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Mexican Senate approves medical marijuana bill
Mexico’s Senate voted overwhelmingly in favor of legalizing medical marijuana on Tuesday after a national debate on narcotics policy in a country mired in brutal drug violence.

In a major policy shift, President Enrique Pena Nieto proposed legalizing medical marijuana in April after his government organized forums to discuss changes to the laws.

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
CuckFumbustion,
Reactions: grokit

BD9

Ignorance at the DEA again shows itself.

Click HERE for article

DEA’s New Cannabis Laws Make CBD, Other Extracts Schedule I Drugs

CBD and all other extracts derived from the cannabis plant (psychoactive or not) will come under Schedule 1 drugs, like heroin, LSD, marijuana, and ecstasy, and cannot cross state lines. Any person currently licensed to produce and handle marijuana extracts is required to apply for a modification of their registration by Jan. 13, 2017, the new document says.

“For practical purposes, all extracts that contain CBD will also contain at least small amounts of other cannabinoids. However, if it were possible to produce from the cannabis plant an extract that contained only CBD and no other cannabinoids, such an extract would fall within the new drug code,” the DEA said.

mephisto

Well, FUCK the DEA. Fuck the organized mj dispensary program. How long will it take the compassionate minded free mj movement to spool up and start making things right at a street level. I don't need the government's permission to plant healthy vegetables for my table, so hands off.
Here's a clue for the DEA, start trying to make an impact on the opiate plague! For fucks sake, they make their quota based on arrest, not convictions. Wake up people, the government is not going to give you permission. It is your right as a being with CB1 and CB2 receptors to self medicate, or help others become self sufficient. Everyone talks about some sort of revolution in this country. Once the compassionate care network is operational, the people who need the support will get the support. This whole wait and see attitude is a farce. The people who are anti-mj will never understand the people who are for mj. Stop on by and I will gladly share mine with you, and perhaps send you off with something to help you become self sufficient. OVERGROW!
Sorry, heading to the Fuck You thread right now.......Carry on.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Urgent Need for More, Better Medical Marijuana Research

"Currently, there are only a limited number of studies on cannabis, or marijuana, due to its Schedule I classification. More research is needed, but until that classification changes, it is not going to be possible to study it to the extent that it needs to be," Heather Oxentine, MD, from Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, said here at the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry (AAAP) 27th Annual Meeting.

BD9

Good news for those in South West Michigan. A couple of dispensaries may be opening soon.

The Eau Claire Michigan dispensary is quietly opening by a friend of a friend. He has had several meetings with the police and city leaders and is planning on opening very soon.

The other is in Buchanan Michigan and will be considered in more detail by the city counsel next spring.

Click HERE for full article.

“We’re getting two to three calls a week,” about welcoming marijuana dispensaries, Buchanan City Manager Bill Marx said during Monday’s commissioners meeting.

During the same meeting, Buchanan Township resident John Wallace proposed a medical marijuana dispensary to be run out of a 1,000-square-foot building in the 1100 block of North Red Bud Trail.

He said the property could serve the 1,400 people in Berrien County with permission to legally purchase medical marijuana.

Marx said he’s coming up to speed on the three-bill package signed by Gov. Rick Snyder in September to clarify the state’s voter-approved medical marijuana law adopted in 2008, and expects the commissioners to be ready to start deciding the issue in spring 2017.

The law allows for the creation of dispensaries where people with a medical marijuana card can choose from a variety of products, including edible forms of the drug. Currently, medical marijuana in Michigan is provided by a caretaker who can serve no more than five patients a year.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/new...cle_c453174c-e208-511b-bf78-d702cc543f75.html

Baron23

“Prince of Pot” Marc Emery and wife arrested in Montreal
By Associated Press December 17 at 2:18 PM
MONTREAL — Montreal police launched raids against illegal cannabis stores opened one day earlier by the self-proclaimed “Prince of Pot,” Marc Emery, and his wife, Jodie.

Canada is moving to legalize marijuana, but Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said the current law against cannabis will stand until new legislation is ratified.

Marc Emery was extradited in 2010 to the United States, where he pleaded guilty to selling marijuana seeds and was sentenced to five years in prison. He became a prominent advocate for marijuana legalization in North America.

Emery and his wife are among 10 people arrested in Friday’s raids.

Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre said Saturday that police were doing their jobs when they launched raids against the newly opened illegal cannabis stores.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
The Marijuana Industry Needs to Stand Up to Jeff Sessions
http://www.slate.com/articles/busin...ustry_needs_to_stand_up_to_jeff_sessions.html
The legal marijuana industry, which is anticipated to top $6 billion in sales this year, also has reason to fear Sessions, but its response has been much more muted. The National Cannabis Industry Association, the industry’s largest lobby, released a statement saying that it looked forward to working with Attorney General Sessions. They think it’s safer to weather his tenure at the Justice Department than to fight it.

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
The Marijuana Industry Needs to Stand Up to Jeff Sessions
The legal marijuana industry, which is anticipated to top $6 billion in sales this year, also has reason to fear Sessions, but its response has been much more muted. The National Cannabis Industry Association, the industry’s largest lobby, released a statement saying that it looked forward to working with Attorney General Sessions. They think it’s safer to weather his tenure at the Justice Department than to fight it.

yeah, I dunno... Sessions is pretty rabid :(
Sadly, this industry has a tendency to roll over, when it should fight.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Misdiagnosed reaction to marijuana becoming more common as states relax laws

A little-known, painful reaction to heavy use of potent marijuana is popping up in emergency departments, hospitals and clinics across the country.

Because the condition is often misdiagnosed, frequent users of large amounts of cannabis with high levels of the euphoria-inducing component THC find themselves in continuing agony and often receiving unneeded diagnostic testing and sometimes surgery exceeding $100,000.

Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome presents endless cycles of violent vomiting and abdominal pain Although first reported in medical journals in 2004, many physicians, pot sellers and users still don’t know about it.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I first learned of this condition here at FC last year... this place keeps me so ahead of the curve.

This news thread is my most favorite of all and i check back several times a day. Thanks for all the info!

Baron23

Mellow drivers? Study says states with medical-marijuana laws have lower traffic fatality rates

States with medical-marijuana laws have fewer traffic fatalities than those without, especially among younger drivers, a new study has found.

You would think crash rates might be higher, supposing that more drivers are, too — especially around midnight, when a run to a 7-Eleven becomes necessary.

But, no. Researchers at Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health found an 11 percent reduction in traffic fatalities on average when examining places that have enacted medical-marijuana laws — 23 states and the District of Columbia. The presence of medical-marijuana dispensaries also correlated with fewer traffic fatalities, the study found.

Silvia Martins, a physician and associate professor who was the study’s senior author, theorized that lower traffic fatality rates in states with marijuana laws might be related to lower levels of alcohol-impaired driving as people, especially younger people, substitute weed for booze. (cont)

Driver pulled over for speeding had 250 pounds of pot in a minivan, police say

Like many minivans, the Chrysler Town & Country boasts a lot of interior cargo space. The 2016 model offered nearly 144 cubic feet.

Plenty of room, apparently, for a California man who police say was driving through Maryland this month with at least 250 pounds of marijuana in the back. For reasons not immediately clear, the man also was driving at what police say was excessive speed on Interstate 270. (cont)

Now, look at the picture in this article. If you were driving THAT through a non-legal state, might you not consider driving within the speed limit and avoiding anything else that would attract the cops. sigh...this guy fails the Darwin test IMO. LOL

After legalization, teen marijuana use drops sharply in Colorado

een marijuana use fell sharply in Colorado in the years 2014 and 2015, after the opening of that state's recreational marijuana market, new federal survey data show.

The state-level data from the National Survey on Drug Use and Health showed that 18.35 percent of Coloradans ages 12 to 17 had used marijuana in the past year in 2014 or 2015, down sharply from 20.81 percent in 2013/2014. (In this survey, years are paired for state-level data to provide larger sample sizes). That works out to roughly a 12 percent drop in marijuana use, year-over-year.

So much for the over wrought hysteria in Arizona, eh?

Top Bottom