Cannabis News

Tranquility

Willie Nelson Reserve Marijuana Commands 50% Price Premium

Star power. There’s nothing like it. It’s the reason we see star athletes promoting footwear and other athletic gear and movie stars promoting just about anything. That star power is now being felt in one of the country’s newest industries: legal sales of marijuana.
For the first time, I saw "Martha & Snoop's Potluck Dinner" last night. It was horrible. As actors, they are probably pretty good at rapping and making scones. They did have a guest (Wiz Khalifa) come in bringing his own branded weed, K-Chronic, as a spice. I think Snoop spoke a bit about his brand "Leafs".

Baron23

Homegrown pot for Christmas? Only in your dreams, Mainers

PORTLAND, Maine — The hope Maine marijuana proponents had of growing their own pot by the Yuletide is going up in smoke because a recount of the ballot question to legalize the practice will likely drag into next year.

The recount began Monday in Augusta. Maine residents last month approved legalizing marijuana by a narrow 4,073-vote margin in an election that attracted more than 750,000 votes.

The hotly debated referendum question asked if voters wanted to legalize recreational pot use by adults at least 21 years old. Legalization would require a regulatory structure that would take months to implement.

One facet of the law allows people to grow six marijuana plants at home. Supporters of legalization said after the election they hoped Mainers would have that right by Christmas.

The Maine secretary of state’s office said Monday that results won’t be certified until the recount is over, likely next year with the potential to stretch into spring.

Researchers worry as info lags on pot use by older adults

DENVER — Surveys show a small but growing number of older adults are using marijuana — a trend that worries researchers who say not enough information exists about how pot affects older users.

Abundant research has been done on how the drug impacts developing brains, but little is known about the potential consequences on older users — even as recreation pot has been legalized in a number of states.

Researchers at New York University say pot could pose health challenges to older users ranging from memory loss to risk of falling.

Well, I'm a fucking older adult and I think this is a crock of shite. I mean....they don't seem to publish articles worrying about whether old people are going to fall down when drunk on their ass on alcohol, right?

Tranquility

Well, I'm a fucking older adult and I think this is a crock of shite. I mean....they don't seem to publish articles worrying about whether old people are going to fall down when drunk on their ass on alcohol, right?
If you Google for elderly alcohol, you'll find about 58 million hits. Almost all on the first three pages are studies.

As to if they speak of my poor balance when drunk, I have no idea.

Tranquility,
Reactions: macbill

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
While that may be true, none of the "research" will have ANY effect on alcohol use or legality. The same can NOT be said about research/information about cannabis.

Even tho, clearly, any issues with cannabis consumption are minor compared to alcohol, the DEMON DRUG needs to be kept from us all because an elderly user may slip on a banana peel...

Baron23

While that may be true, none of the "research" will have ANY effect on alcohol use or legality. The same can NOT be said about research/information about cannabis.

Even tho, clearly, any issues with cannabis consumption are minor compared to alcohol, the DEMON DRUG needs to be kept from us all because an elderly user may slip on a banana peel...
Thank you, you beat me to it. I did do the Google search (I only came up with 48.9M! LOL) but again, these are NIH studies, organizations dedicated to aging issues, etc. Not stuff being whipped around the general mainstream media for the purposes of adding questions that can be used for fear mongering and against legalization.

Krazy

No one is ever going to stand between me and my EARTHLY HERB.........PERIOD
EVER!! I will un-leash THE BEAST within me....

CANNABIS......Cluster Headache.....ReNew....Mission....Good to-Go!
I hear you on the cluster headache thing.

Krazy,
Reactions: Squiby

Tranquility

Why is this your interpretation?

The article says the results were "encouraging", and that "more research is needed" (twice).

The title of the article even used the words, "positive findings":
Alabama researchers announce positive findings of Cannabidiol study

Just wondering :hmm:
Sessions seems anti-marijuana. His state is Alabama and I don't think they feel the same way as based on the article and as based on the passing of Carly's law that encourages such studies.

Tranquility,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Growing marijuana at home could become as easy as plugging in a machine and walking away

More and more people are going to be interested in growing their own marijuana after this year’s US election, which made marijuana usage legal both recreationally and medically in even more states. The gadget market is, of course, going to respond. We’ve already seen at least one device — the Grobo — aimed at making marijuana gardening easy and accessible. Now another company is launching a similar device called the Leaf.

BD9

Admission of pot use from former player and current coach Steve Kerr

Steve Kerr former NBA player and current coach of the Golden State Warriors says, “If you're an NFL player in particular and you got lot of pain, I don't think there's any question that pot is better for your body than Vicodin,”

Click HERE for the article

“And yet, athletes everywhere are prescribed Vicodin like it's Vitamin C, like it's no big deal. There's like this perception in our country that over-the-counter drugs are fine, but pot is bad. Now, I think that's changing. You're seeing that change in these laws that you're talking about in different states, including California. But I would just hope that sports leagues are able to look past the perception.”

Currently, the NBA doesn’t suspend players from the league until they test positive for marijuana for a third time. (The suspension is a five-game penalty, one Mitch McGary received this summer, for example.) However, Kerr doesn’t see the logic in listing marijuana as a banned substance at all, given what the league does allow and even prescribes.

Baron23

Senator looks to legalize medical marijuana in Texas

AUSTIN -- Physicians and patients came out in full force Tuesday to support a proposed medical cannabis bill that will be considered in the Texas Legislature next year.

Senate Bill 269, which was filed Tuesday morning, would allow patients with debilitating or chronic conditions to receive medical cannabis under their doctor's recommendation. The bill would expand on a 2015 Texas law that allows patients to receive certain forms of cannabis if they have intractable epilepsy.

Sen. José Menéndez, D-San Antonio, who authored the proposed bill, said the law is helpful but excludes many Texans who have other conditions that could benefit from cannabis treatment. (cont)

How the U.S. Patent Office Screws Over the Cannabis Industry

The next quantum leap forward for the cannabis industry won’t be in banking or tax codes, though most marijuana firms would love the ability to put their money in a bank or claim business expenses on their annual returns like a normal entrepreneur.

It’ll be in branding and intellectual property—because as one vape-pen producer is finding out, in addition to the prohibitions on checking accounts and normal tax accounting, cannabis companies can’t trademark their own brands.

JUJU Joints makes single-use, cigarette-sized disposable vaporizers. They’re cool enough, but what would be cooler for the company is if the company had absolute rights to the name JUJU, and maybe even a slogan—like “powered by JUJU,” which no other company was allowed to use.

Keep in mind that while the federal government has issued patents to cannabis companies and even cannabis strains, registered trademarks are another issue. Up until now, cannabis companies have protected their brands by registering them as, say, a clothing company.

In this way, dispensaries like San Francisco’s Green Cross and cannabis-related brands like Cookies have been able to protect their identities while still being involved with marijuana—which, in case you’ve forgotten, remains banned under the federal Controlled Substances Act.

But JUJU doesn’t do beanies or hoodies, they do JUJU Joints. And as it explained in a recent precedent-setting opinion, the US Patent and Trademark Office’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board doesn’t do cannabis. (cont)

Ganja Greed in Guam: Politicians vs. the People

While we can only applaud Guam’s continuing march toward freedom, we can only wonder if the government’s motivation for the “Compassionate Cannabis Use Act” is, in fact, compassion.

Sure, the original bill passed with a unanimous vote, but the newly added provision allowing up to six plants to be cultivated in patients’ homes barely made it in with an 8-7 split—meaning at least seven of Guam’s senators are fine with medical weed, but only if they can control the profits.

This makes it easy to see why many activists are starting to call the island not by its native name of Guam, or Gu’ahan in the indigenous Chamorro language, but by the Spanish name that Magellan gave it in 1521: “la Isla de los Ladrones,” or “the Island of the Thieves”.

It also means the governor, Eddie Calvo, who has stood in opposition of all medical cannabis and especially homegrown pot, could easily veto the new rules, sending patients desperately waiting for relief right to the back of the bus—a bus that Calvo is trying to ensure can only be driven by the moneyed interests keeping him in office.

If he does decide to veto, the governor would be putting the people of the island in the same position they were in earlier this year when the rules for medicinal cannabis in Guam were scrapped. Back then, Senator Tina Barnes said that the rules were tossed out because of public concerns. (cont)

I Tried to Buy ‘Prop. 64 Friendly’ Cannabis in California. Here’s What Happened.

Californians voted overwhelmingly to legalize adult-use cannabis last month, but with the celebratory joints now smoked down to roaches, plenty of Golden State residents are asking whether they can finally dispense with the rigmarole of getting a doctor’s recommendation to buy bud.

Technically, the answer is no. But that hasn’t stopped some medical dispensaries from advertising online that they’re willing to overlook that formality and sell to anyone over 21 with a California ID. And why not relax the standards now? Las Vegas prosecutors pledged to stop filing charges after that state legalized—why shouldn’t California do the same?

I wanted to know if dispensaries in Los Angeles, the state’s largest medical cannabis market, still gave a damn about the doctor’s note. I didn’t think they would, especially given that some were boasting online things like “Prop 64 friendly,” “21+ just ID required” and “21+ may now enter with valid ID.” So I dropped in with just some cash and my driver’s license to see what would happen.

Logging some serious freeway time, I hit up dispensaries in Downtown Los Angeles, Pasadena, West Hollywood, Malibu, and Marina Del Rey—six shops in all. At each one, I produced my California ID. And at each one, the folks behind the bulletproof glass or outside the store asked for my doctor’s recommendation, too. (cont)

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
Sessions seems anti-marijuana. His state is Alabama and I don't think they feel the same way as based on the article and as based on the passing of Carly's law that encourages such studies.
I hear you, but remember it's alabama--baby steps.
They could have just rigged the results and shut it down.

grokit,
Reactions: cybrguy

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I am trying really hard to have a positive attitude about what lays before us, but it is really hard not to expect the worst. Nearly every decision so far has either gone the wrong way or been deferred. Choosing an anti cannabis and anti people of color AG seems an early indicator of whats to come. I can only hope there is going to a big reveal that defies expectations. Somehow it just doesn't feel like this admin wants to continue reducing prison populations...

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
The leaf is fucking awesome... been following the project for the past year and am really impressed. Pre-orders started today, but with a $3k pricetag, im no where near close to purchasing.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
The LEAF looks like a nice unit but for 3k you could get a tent(100-300), light(100-800), temp/ec/tds monitor(150-200), dwc system(150), carbon filter(50-150), Wireless IP cam(50-100) and all the accessories with 1-1.5k left over to buy a car or what ever you like. If you wanted full automation you could get an OSMO Bot for $400-500 and still have $500 to spare and you would have a much better setup.

The Leaf is only 62" tall (5.2') and 1/4 of that space is taken up by the light, nutrients and root space.

If you want 4oz from that setup you are going to have to LST (low stress training) the heck out of the one plant that you can grow.

The unit is touted as plug in and grow without any knowledge, I think that's misleading. Unless you go with an auto-lowryder or small hybrid and employ LST you are going to run out of space.

Add to that the lock-in on their nutrients only (no monitoring if you use your own) and the inability to swap out the light as your requirements change I'd definately recommend a small tent + led light setup over the Leaf.

Just my :2c:

Krazy

I can see a technophile with the $$ liking it. I like the looks but it isn't appropriate for someone on the DL.

You could build a much simpler and lower maintenance rig for WAY less. You can use things like autopots (passive feed hydro) and a power back up for the lights and be much more low maintenance and still be way under budget.

And as GreenHopper pointed out, buy a car or go to Fiji.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

grokit

well-worn member
I can see a technophile with the $$ liking it. I like the looks but it isn't appropriate for someone on the DL.

You could build a much simpler and lower maintenance rig for WAY less. You can use things like autopots (passive feed hydro) and a power back up for the lights and be much more low maintenance and still be way under budget.

And as GreenHopper pointed out, buy a car or go to Fiji.
It's competitor is much more discrete, but it's also $3k.
I believe it was referred to above :tup:

Krazy

It's competitor is much more discrete, but it's also $3k.
I believe it was referred to above :tup:
I am the type that rounds numbers NOT in my favor, lol. So I was referring to the best aspects of bopth. You can go cheeper that the cheep one; and, the discreet one isn't all that discreet to me.

My imaginary evil twin sister had ordered a custom rig from growboxbuilder. Similar to the $3000 one for under a thousand and with gun safe quality steel and locks. Looks amazing on line. They never actually shipped it and she recovered from her charge card.

Baron23

Maryland Panel to release names of medical pot dispensary applicants

By Associated Press December 9 at 2:27 AM
ANNAPOLIS, Md. — The names of finalists on the path to be licensed to open medical marijuana dispensaries in Maryland are scheduled to be made public.

The Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission is set to release the names Friday.

Last week, the panel gave preliminary approval for 102 dispensaries in the state. They were chosen in a blind review designed to pick the most qualified applicants.

Each of Maryland’s 47 state Senate districts can have up to two dispensaries. And the 15 marijuana growers allowed under the law also can apply to open a dispensary. Of the finalists approved last week, two Senate districts had only one dispensary applicant receive preliminary approval. Five finalists for growers did not apply for dispensary licenses.

All applicants will still need to undergo background checks before getting licensed.

My goal is to live long enough to see Maryland's MMJ program up and operating.....although that might be quite a challenge given the glacial pace and constant f*ck-ups by Maryland state government and its MMCC. Might have to be another Methuselah to make this goal. sigh

They never actually shipped it and she recovered from her charge card.

@Krazy - did they just not ship and you had to cancel or what? Are these guys solid or a rip off?

Krazy

In my experience they were a total attempted rip off. I could imagine it being a real problem for a non legal grower attempting to recover.

They didn't ship and I had a emails back and forth for over a month with them claiming that any day now they would ship. It had already shipped. They had built it and lost it in the warehouse. They would REbuild it and rush order it! They were sorry for the delay and if I promised to not file with my credit card not only would they reship it soon but they would comp it! Finally had to file with the cc to recover the $. Perhaps they overextended? But they are still running the same BS summer sale now that they were a year ago.

Never got a call back and mostly it wouldn't even let me leave a message. I did check for online reviews at the time and they were good up until I ordered.

Edit: can't find any positive recent reviews. most recent post on their facebook page indicates they got worse after my experience. They have left up the ordering info and take peoples $ and that is all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom