Cannabis News

MinnBobber

Judge Says Police Seizure Of 900 Pounds Of Marijuana Was Illegal
Minnesota judge throws out case after ruling that cops conducted an unconstitutional search.

https://hightimes.com/news/judge-says-police-seizure-of-900-pounds-of-marijuana-was-illegal/

So, do they get the 900 pounds of cannabis back????

If so, I am worried about potential lower back injuries from loading so much weight :brow:
Since I'm in MN, I can go the extra mile, and help load some of the cargo, strictly for humanitarian
reasons of course :smug:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Trump doesn't inhale, but the cannabis industry is betting his supporters do
A poll commissioned by a cannabis industry group shows significant backing for legalization from supporters of President Donald Trump, who is ramping up his 2020 campaign in the battleground state where elections are won on razor-thin margins and turnout is everything.

==============================================================
Former Congressman Who Fought Marijuana Legalization Joins Cannabis Company Board

FV Pharma announced on Friday that former Rep. Steve Buyer (R-IN) joined its board of directors. Missing from the press release is mention of his legislative history that includes repeated actions to oppose federal protections for state-level marijuana reforms.

From 1998 to 2000, Buyer cosponsored two resolutions and one bill aimed at condemning legalization and upholding federal prohibition. His opposition extended to limited medical cannabis reforms, too, voting five times from 2003 to 2007 against an amendment to protect state laws and the patients and providers complying with them from federal prosecution.

Last edited:

blackstone

Spanish police arrest drug traffickers who saved their lives in high speed boat chase

Spanish police arrested four drug traffickers who stopped to save their lives after the officers were thrown overboard during a high speed boat chase off the coast of Malaga on Friday.

The three police officers fell into the sea following a collision with the trafficking boat during the chase, a Guardia Civil statement said.

A police helicopter hovering overhead appealed to the speedboat via megaphone to stop and help the officers after their boat "span out of control", and the traffickers did so, pulling the agents to safety unharmed.

However, when police found three tonnes of hashish in the waters nearby, the rescue did not appear to work in the traffickers' favour. The four on board were arrested regardless.

"They were arrested for drug trafficking," a police statement said, indicating that more than 80 bundles of hash had been recovered from the sea.

==========

Cannabis R&D plan risks going up in smoke as drinks firm feels Irish chill

Ireland could lose out on a major cannabis research project worth tens of millions of euro because state agencies are "lukewarm" on the plan.

Canadian company Province Brands, a biotech focused on making beverages from the waste stalks, roots and stems left over from the cannabis products industry, is in talks to establish an R&D and production facility in Ireland for the European market.

(account holders only article)

blackstone

Breathalyzer for weed, backed by Philly investor, could be a ‘game changer’ for legalization efforts

======================

Marijuana breathalyzer test could be ready for market in 2020

A device that can test whether people are high on pot could hit the streets as early as late next year.

Hound Labs have developed a marijuana breathalyzer test — similar to current ones testing for alcohol consumption — that will be able to tell whether someone is stoned up to three hours after smoking.

A company in Canada, SannTek, is also competing to release their test at about the same time.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I have mixed feeling about this, but I suppose it was inevitable. It IS necessary to have a test like this, but I hope it is accurate and isn't overused. I hope it won't be used without some kind of probable cause, like bad driving behavior.
How would this work though? It’s already been established that certain THC levels in the blood are meaningless....they can persist for days or weeks after ingesting. They are in no way indicative of impairment or “stoned-ness”.

So color me skeptical that any device that registers THC levels from the past “three hours” is in any way a useful tool in measuring impairment. I expect this to face show-stopping legal challenges....when law enforcement is quoted as saying they are skeptical of this technology themselves, this thing looks like a long shot.

Is there a publicly traded stock I can short? :lol:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I wish it were a public company, but it looks like it's not. If it works this will be a game changer and if the company developing it can patent it I would buy their stock in a New York second. They say they do have patents on the tech...

From the site...
Ms. Jenny Lynn, a business executive with twenty years of experience launching new ventures. Benchmark, Icon Ventures, Intrinsic Capital Partners, Main Street Advisors, NFP Ventures, and individual investors have funded the Company.

cybrguy,
Reactions: macbill

Tranquility

How would this work though? It’s already been established that certain THC levels in the blood are meaningless....they can persist for days or weeks after ingesting. They are in no way indicative of impairment or “stoned-ness”.

So color me skeptical that any device that registers THC levels from the past “three hours” is in any way a useful tool in measuring impairment. I expect this to face show-stopping legal challenges....when law enforcement is quoted as saying they are skeptical of this technology themselves, this thing looks like a long shot.

Is there a publicly traded stock I can short? :lol:
There is no scientific support for a test for "impairment". There is only going to be a test for "recent use" which will give and estimate of the level of THC or metabolites in the blood. It is for the judge or jury to determine if the levels tested equal impairment.

The state will put up its witness and the suspect will put up his and the fact finder will come to a conclusion.

Some states have a BS "per se" impairment law. But, the crime is not really "impairment" (although that is the purported goal) but violation of the specifics of a statute. You can't drive impaired. But, you can't drive when your blood THC is above some level (.5nm is a common one). Just another law like keeping your insurance papers and license with you even though most modern police agencies have the ability to check on either or both in a moment in their car.

As to the fact finding ANY direct relationship between blood THC is BS within current understanding, let's go to the NHTSA (https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.d...juana-impaired-driving-report-to-congress.pdf) for the answer (pushed back to pp28):
A number of States have set a THC limit in their laws indicating that if a suspect’s THC concentration is above that level (typically 5 ng/ml of blood), then the suspect is to be considered impaired. This per se limit appears to have been based on something other than scientific evidence. Some recent studies demonstrate that such per se limits are not evidence-based.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
There is no scientific support for a test for "impairment". There is only going to be a test for "recent use" which will give and estimate of the level of THC or metabolites in the blood. It is for the judge or jury to determine if the levels tested equal impairment.

The state will put up its witness and the suspect will put up his and the fact finder will come to a conclusion.

Some states have a BS "per se" impairment law. But, the crime is not really "impairment" (although that is the purported goal) but violation of the specifics of a statute. You can't drive impaired. But, you can't drive when your blood THC is above some level (.5nm is a common one). Just another law like keeping your insurance papers and license with you even though most modern police agencies have the ability to check on either or both in a moment in their car.
Right, this was kind of my point. No test will reliably show impairment, and any test showing presence of THC is basically useless in terms of impact on the driver.

For legal states, this seems stupid....it's not illegal for me to drive with the presence of THC in my blood, it's only illegal for me to drive impaired or "under the influence". So showing I have a chemical in my blood doesn't prove anything. (They tried to pass one of those per se laws here in Maine a couple years ago and it couldn't even get out of committee....lawmakers were, rightly, inundated with angry phone calls.)

I'll go back to my original point: this technology won't easily gain traction, and will likely be killed by legal actions. :2c:

Tranquility

Right, this was kind of my point. No test will reliably show impairment, and any test showing presence of THC is basically useless in terms of impact on the driver.

For legal states, this seems stupid....it's not illegal for me to drive with the presence of THC in my blood, it's only illegal for me to drive impaired or "under the influence". So showing I have a chemical in my blood doesn't prove anything. (They tried to pass one of those per se laws here in Maine a couple years ago and it couldn't even get out of committee....lawmakers were, rightly, inundated with angry phone calls.)

I'll go back to my original point: this technology won't easily gain traction, and will likely be killed by legal actions. :2c:
The high level in some per se laws actually DO prove something. That the usage was recent.

Even with regular users that always have some level of THC (We keep saying that but I'm uncertain as to if that is what is measured.) in the blood, it's been found the level in the blood drops markedly after use. Some studies might indicate that a person HAS to have used in the last three hours IF their blood levels are at the per se limit.

There's going to be a breath test for THC blood levels. Government is going to buy a ton of it if it works. The tech is going to gain traction. Maine is not going to be the guide. A breath test for cannabis is the field of dreams for the police. If you build it, they will come.

Tranquility

Power to the people!

What if they gave a prosecution and nobody came?

https://www.nola.com/news/courts/article_b01d0794-eade-11e9-8114-0f789d4d4ccc.html
All New Orleans prosecutors had to do was convince six people that a waiter at a famed French Quarter restaurant was guilty of a felony marijuana charge.

But as it turned out, there weren’t enough people willing to consider that possibility on Tuesday.

Potential jurors who said they don’t think marijuana should be illegal helped scotch the planned trial of Antoine’s server Jabar Kensey before he could face the music. He was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute after cops caught him with an ounce of pot on Bourbon Street.

Call it a sign of the times. Ad hoc Criminal District Court Judge Dennis Waldron halted the selection process after 20 of 25 potential jurors were dropped and no more jurors remained in the day’s pool.

Some jurors were let go for other reasons, but Waldron said Wednesday that a “significant” number were dismissed on prosecutors’ challenges. The judge specifically highlighted the jurors who voiced their opinions on “whether or not (marijuana) should be the subject of criminal laws outlawing it.”

On Wednesday, prosecutors agreed to amend Kensey’s felony charge to a misdemeanor under a plea agreement. Kensey agreed to spend 12 weekend days in jail and forfeit the $100 in cash he carried on Bourbon Street in January.

Kensey’s sentence is far shorter than the years he might have faced if he had been convicted as charged. His attorney said it showed that District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro’s office bowed to the people’s will on marijuana crimes.

“I think the District Attorney’s Office heard their sentiments,” said Stavros Panagoulopoulos. “Given the current climate in our country with regards to marijuana, I think this was an appropriate solution.”

But a spokesman for the office called Panagoulopoulos’ interpretation “absolutely false.” Ken Daley said the case ended in a plea because "it was decided this plea agreement and length of jail time brought a resolution to the case satisfactory to the state."

Daley said the trial would have gone forward Tuesday if the jury commissioner hadn’t sent home other citizens who showed up for jury duty that day.

The happy outcome for Kensey came after a high-stakes gamble.

A conviction for marijuana possession with intent to distribute carries a statutory range of one to 10 years in prison. But Kensey already had two prior felony convictions, one for the same charge and one for simple burglary.

Panagoulopoulos said his client could have faced 15 to 20 years behind bars if he was convicted as charged and prosecutors elected to treat him as a “triple bill” habitual offender. Cannizzaro once made far more frequent use of habitual-offender laws than most other Louisiana DA’s, although he’s tapered off the practice since 2017, according to a report from the Lens.

Prosecutors in this case made clear that Kensey faced “serious consequences,” Panagoulopoulos said.

Noting that the trial never happened, Cannizzaro’s office said no decision had been made on whether to hit Kensey with a multiple bill.

“State law does present serious consequences for repeat felony offenders,” said Daley. “Repeat offenders and defense attorneys who disagree with the statute should take it up with the state Legislature.”

At a trial, prosecutors could have pointed to the fact that Kensey had admitted to having the weed, which was packaged in 17 individual baggies. Two cops said they spotted him talking to someone else with weed in his hand.

But Panagoulopoulos said he would have attacked the state’s case by calling friends of Kensey to testify that they were hobnobbing before a night on the town, not conducting a drug transaction.

“I was confident in public opinion and the people of New Orleans,” Panagoulopoulos said. “I was willing to trust in the jury’s judgment.”

As it turned out, the selection process yielded only five jurors — short of the six plus an alternate needed — before Waldron called it off. The judge bumped the case to Wednesday, when the plea agreement was reached.

The right of jurors to voice their objections to criminal laws stretches back centuries, according to Texas defense attorney Clay Conrad. He said the courts have upheld the power of jurors to “nullify” charges with acquittals, despite overwhelming evidence of a defendant’s guilt, if they object to the underlying law.

Conrad, who wrote a book on the subject, dubbed the situation in New Orleans this week “attempted jury nullification.” He said he’s heard of a similar case in Montana that also involved marijuana.

“You need to have broader consensus that this is the right thing to do before you start throwing people in cages, and on marijuana, that consensus just doesn't exist,” Conrad said.

Kensey’s attempt to go to trial on a marijuana charge appears to be an outlier at Criminal District Court. According to District Attorney’s Office records, there were no defendants tried solely on marijuana charges in 2017 or 2018.​

blackstone

Almost one in three Canadians knows someone who is 'better' at driving while high, study finds

eqTmoUNZBSNuff_wzcDhxfwmEyAqtAeRwbd8mWAZ7A35jA9pLoRXX0XVBsK1uTETMKPCa1h_3vyJQAkAHoQjqVf-g3L2oIvZVfO_YYPB663N1cOIDIVzmmPVfaSS1zo34KbeHw0=-w144-h144-p

==========================

Matt Every suspended after testing positive for cannabis

American Matt Every has been suspended for 12 weeks for violating a drugs policy.

The 35-year-old two-time PGA Tour winner said in a statement he had tested positive for cannabis, which he uses for a "mental health condition".

Cannabis is legally prescribed for medical use in Florida, where Every is based.

He will be eligible to return to the PGA tour from 7 January 2020
:ugh::bang:

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
CDC: Most people who died from vaping-linked disease used products containing THC

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...4vRhmmpNm_BZQ3Vii2c-VIcE8XiZeY2iLemGorLETw5Lw

Funny, in the same article the CDC mentions how additives, like vitamin E, are the concern in these vape products, but then they talk about warning people about the negative effects of THC.

This is clearly not cannabis fear-mongering by the government.

Last edited:

Tranquility

Cannabis farmers in Western states report large crop yields, only minor challenges

Cannabis growers in California, Oregon and Washington state say they are enjoying a robust outdoor harvest, with strong crop yields, high-quality flower and market prices well above last year’s depressed levels.
@invertedisdead almost HAS to be right, unless the data is false. Having a bumper crop, while great for consumers and farmers, does not lead to high market prices. Some of the price might be better quality, but, the quantity should bring down prices.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Most THC and CBD oil goes to waste in your body—here’s why

Amid the current frenzy surrounding cannabis and its therapeutic benefits, it’s easy to gloss over the bioavailability of cannabis products.

Bioavailability refers to the degree and rate at which a substance is absorbed into your bloodstream to be used where needed. Physiological processes and consumption methods can affect cannabis absorption, rendering its effects somewhat hit-and-miss.

Edibles-Dosing-Chart-v2.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom