Best Portable Vape for...Grandma?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primasilva

Professional Procras... I'll finish this later ;-)
Yeah, sooo my 81 year old grandma asked me to find her a vape. Never in a million years would I have thought that'd happen!

I always go for the best of the best if I can afford it, but don't really have much experience with vaporizers. I'm hoping you guys can help out! She'll need something dummy-proof, portable, easy to use with shaky hands if Grandpa uses it, easy to clean, discrete/medical-looking, and probably gentle on her lungs.

I ordered the Wispr 2 before I really started looking at reviews, but I'm willing & able to return it if there's something better for her out there! My main reason for iffiness is the butane. My boyfriend thinks it's a great idea, but I'm afraid it'd affect the taste/safety.

I was thinking about the MLFB, but it looks a little too hippie-ish for her and I'm not sure she'd be strong enough to keep holding the battery down as she uses it. I'm kinda tempted to get it for myself, though ;)

I also strongly considered the Pax, but cleaning looks like it might be a pain!

Maybe the DaVinci Ascent? It looks pretty cool!

I dunno, thoughts? I was originally hoping to find her a pen, but haven't found one that works well with dry blends.

lwien

Does she really need a portable?

The reason I'm asking is that for someone that age that may have decreased lung function and would therefor require a device that would be as easy on her lungs as possible, a good home bag vape may be the best option.

Enchantre

Oil Painter
The MFLB is not dummy proof.

As a woman of advancing age, I would suggest something like the Vapir NO2. Yes, there are better portable vapes out there, but you are looking for dead easy to use, reliable, and non-breakable.
It is very, very easy to load, clean, and use. It works quite well. It can also be used either on battery, or while plugged in. It shuts itself off after 20 minutes.

While we all praise the all-glass vapor paths, glass is too hard to deal with when you're a bit feeble, and too easy to break.

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I'm with iwein (I will ALWAYS spell it this way) on this one. Portables are made with the young bucks like us in mind, who are always on the go and want to be able to vape anywhere. Ergonomics and disabled users experience can be a problem with them.

As a result, I'm thinking that something like a herbalaire is going to be the best option for them. It's a very rugged design that can take multiple knocks off a table and other abuses, with all sorts of different ways to use it. They could blow bags, use a pump assisted whip or just draw directly from it to find out what their preferred experience is. Operation and loading is easy as long as you have a pair of tweezers available.

max

Out to lunch
I ordered the Wispr 2 before I really started looking at reviews, but I'm willing & able to return it if there's something better for her out there! My main reason for iffiness is the butane. My boyfriend thinks it's a great idea, but I'm afraid it'd affect the taste/safety.
Neither is an issue. The only bad taste you'll get with the wispr (or iolite) is that of herb that's already been vaporized (ABV), as you get toward the end of the bowl.

The suggestions for NO2 and herbalAire are good ones, with pluses and minuses to both. Keep in mind that a portable will require more frequent loading and cleaning.

max,

Sonics420

Cleaning the pax would be too much of a pain. I can only recommend what I have tried and I would get her a Solo.. if worried about durability of the glass stem I'd get her a wooden one lol.

Inhalater is also great but I wouldnt want grandma dealing with warranty issues :lol:

Sonics420,

SD_haze

If she wants a portable just so you can move about the house freely, then a bag vape might be a good option. She can fill up a bag with a button press, and then take the filled bag of vapor and walk around the house.

So many portable vaporizers depend on how hard or how soft you draw, and a bag vape would eliminate 100% of those issues.

SD_haze,

Primasilva

Hmm, she asked for portable so she could sneak it during frequent long stays at my super uber disapproving aunt's house, but I'll see what she thinks about the HerbalAire or another home unit. If I can get a good price, I might be able to get both a home & a portable one!

The No2 does seem pretty nice - I like that she can set the temp like with the Ascent.

Is the Wispr pretty easy to draw from?

Solo was one that I considered, too! Can't remember why I crossed it off the list - maybe I'll check it out again :)

Primasilva,

max

Out to lunch

lwien

I was going to recommend the Solo with one of Ed's wooden stems.

Great suggestion, but again, my concern with someone of that advanced of an age is that the very high vapor to air ratio with the solo may prove to be a bit much for her lungs to handle and a bag vape with an inherent higher air to vapor ratio would be a bit easier on her.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Great suggestion, but again, my concern with someone of that advanced of an age is that the very high vapor to air ratio with the solo may prove to be a bit much for her lungs to handle and a bag vape with an inherent higher air to vapor ratio would be a bit easier on her.

I like the bag idea, but the OP wants a portable for some reason.

stickstones,

Primasilva

Yeppers, Grandma would definitely prefer a portable. Like I said, my grandparents visit my aunt a lot and she's super anti-herb.

I can try to get her a portable & home one, though!

So, like, would a Volcano count as a bag vape? If I got her that, I think I might have to visit a lot more often ;)

hoptimum

The main drawback to portables, IMO, involve the power supply. You have to use rechargeable batteries, butane or a lighter. For your grandma, I think lighters would be very difficult. Similarly, filling an Iolite or Wispr with butane can be a little tricky as well. That leaves batteries. I'd rule out the Magic Flight because you need to coordinate holding the battery with your thumb with regulating your draw speed and it can be a little complicated. The Solo might work, since it has a rechargeable battery that lasts nearly 2 hours and is very easy to use. You can get a wooden stem if you're worried about breakage. Plus the Solo is relatively affordable. IMO, she would be better served using a Solo than the Wispr, at about the same price.
Home vaporizers generally don't have these types of issues since you just plug them in. The Volcano, while expensive, would be one solution since it's so easy to use and to draw from the bags. You might also consider the Vapolution 2.0 or the HerbalAire, neither of which require grinding the herb and are relatively easy to use and affordable. One other option among the home vaporizers would be a "log" vape like the e-nano or underdog. They are efficient and relatively easy to use, and she could probably even bring it with her as long as she has access to an electrical outlet.

hoptimum,

weedemon

enthusiast
When I think of the elderly you want simple. and for that I say a log vape may be the way to go! not a portable obviously... but the arizer solo is like a portable log... maybe something to consider too. good luck!

weedemon,

z9

I'd avoid anything with glass, high restriction, and small pieces requiring the use of tweezers or anything. Old folks hands generally tremble...

Im a proponent of the previously mentioned NO2. Easy to load and clean, hard to break, easy 3 button operation (power, temp up and temp down), semi-stealthy and portable. Gets the job done as a portable or desktop.

The UD with a silicone stem would be a good option. Easy to operate and load, hard to break, looks discrete, and I think an old timer would really appreciate the craftsmanship and woodwork. The flexible stem would probably be ideal.

Primasilva

Yeah, I was a little unsure about having her fill butane for the WISPR. My 2nd cousin has been helping her out around the house and would probably be willing to do it for her, but ya know, I still worry! I'm definitely leaning toward trading the WISPR 2 for a Solo or NO2 - which one do you think is easiest on the lungs?

Grandma still cooks & stuff, so she should be able to grind okay. I bought her an SCS, which is supposedly as easy as twisting a bottle cap. Seriously, she's gonna be pimping! She'll have better stuff than anyone I know! She's taken care of me for most of my life, so I feel like I owe it to her.

I'm hesitant about the HerbalAire because some people say the vapor is hot, and the Vape Critic isn't a fan of the balloon function - says it's inconvenient because you have to assemble the bag, hold it shut as you use it, and end up inhaling particles.

What about something like the Plenty? Vape Critic says the coil helps keep it pretty cool.

I've never heard of the e-nano or underdog. I'll look 'em up!

Primasilva,

hoptimum

I know the Solo personally, but I've also heard good things about the No. 2. The stock solo stem has an intentionally restricted draw, so it's more like sipping a thick milkshake. This can be mediated by custom stems from Planet Vape or one of Ed's wooden stems. I think the Plenty might just be too big and unwieldy. Seriously look at those log vaporizers, though, the more I think about it they might be just the thing.

hoptimum,

lwien

The only thing I have against log vapes and the Solo is the high vapor to air ratio that these vapes provide that "could" prove to be a bit much for 80 year old lungs to handle.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
primasilva...lwien has a good point about the quality of the vapor for the elderly. Some vapes run hotter than others, some are harsher, some are more restrictive. Any chance you can tell us how you think she will want to hit it. Has she vaped before?

I strongly advise against the Plenty in this situation, and there are cheaper alternatives to the Volcano if you decide to go that route.

stickstones,

Primasilva

Grandma has never vaped or smoked, but she can yell really loudly, so she must still have decent lungs :lol:

I'm thinking she'd be okay with a bit of heat, but probably not anything too restrictive and definitely not anything harsh. That's why I was leaning toward something where she could control the temp herself and turn it up or down as needed.

Primasilva,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom