Best Portable Vape for...Grandma?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwien

Grandma has never vaped or smoked, but she can yell really loudly, so she must still have decent lungs :lol:

I'm thinking she'd be okay with a bit of heat, but probably not anything too restrictive and definitely not anything harsh. That's why I was leaning toward something where she could control the temp herself and turn it up or down as needed.

It's not just the heat or the restriction that is of concern here. It's also the vapor to air ratio that should be taken into account.

lwien,

Primasilva

Professional Procras... I'll finish this later ;-)
I thought I read that the lower the heat is, the less vapor there is?

Primasilva,

lwien

Ummmm.........kinda. With lower heat, she would be getting a different ratio of cannabinoids, but that doesn't necessarily mean that she is getting less vapor. Also, please consider that she may desire a more complete cannabinoid profile that higher temps provide but also would want a higher air to vapor ratio so that it will be a bit easier on her lungs.

lwien,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
ok guys...grandma's a noob and I'm not sure why she is starting now, but she is. That being said, we are probably really overthinking this because we can.

She'll probably dig the whisper. Since she is a noob, I further recommend the Solo with Ed's wooden stem. It's the easiest vape I have in terms of learning curve and everyone I recommend it to loves it. So I say stick with the whisper or get the Solo/Ed's stem combo.

JCat

Accessory Maker
The Solo is definitely more restrictive, but then again, the Inhalater which is less restrictive is more harsh. The PAX is a nightmare to clean. Maybe the Ascent will be a good option once its released but I don't think you want your Grandma to be a guinea pig. With portables its often a trade-off. Restrictive is relative as well as if you don't want to pull huge Clouds than "sipping" at a Solo isn't overly restrictive ... its only restrictive if you pull hard on it.

As I've read through this thread, the Solo came to mind early, and is a recurring thought. There are other decent options if you want a desktop vape, but for portables, I would tend to think the Solo is the easiest from a number of perspectives (easy to load, clean/maintain, easy to use ... glass stems are potentially fragile but stems for it are cheap ....)

For plug-in options the Log Vapes would seem to be good options as well as I think the HerbalAire might be a decent one but kinda' space age for Grandma with the pump and the bags and all.

Anyways ... for the price, the Solo really can't be beat and is:
- Easy to use
- Easy to load
- Easy to clean/maintain

Only cons I can think of are restricted airflow and fragility of glass stems (but they are cheap :))

If money is no issue, than the MiniVAP may be a good option too ... but it is pretty expensive.

Primasilva

ok guys...grandma's a noob and I'm not sure why she is starting now, but she is.
She's starting because Pat Robertson and 2 of her doctors recommended it :-P

If she hates the WISPR, I might just keep it for myself. A bunch of you have now recommended the Solo for her, so that one's definitely near the top of my list! I think you're right about glass, though - I'd get the wood replacement thingy.

I'll have to look more into logs/balloons. I really don't know anything about any of them, except that the Volcano reigns supreme. And I love Grandma to death, but she's not worth $600+. At least not now, while I'm broke from my 2nd degree and auto loans ;-)

Primasilva,
Reactions: weedemon

JCat

Accessory Maker
She's starting because Pat Robertson and 2 of her doctors recommended it :-P

If she hates the WISPR, I might just keep it for myself. A bunch of you have now recommended the Solo for her, so that one's definitely near the top of my list! I think you're right about glass, though - I'd get the wood replacement thingy.

I'll have to look more into logs/balloons. I really don't know anything about any of them, except that the Volcano reigns supreme. And I love Grandma to death, but she's not worth $600+. At least not now, while I'm broke from my 2nd degree and auto loans ;-)
Ed's Wood stems are an option, but I'll just say that the glass ones are easier to clean/maintain and I think taste cleaner ... so might be worth giving them a shot first ... (just my opinion though and many prefer Ed's stems to the glass ones ... I personally like the cleanliness of glass and they're pretty tough and pretty cheap to replace)

hoptimum

both the enano and the solo have temperature control. It doesn't seem like the minimal restriction from either would be much of a problem for her, though the solo is probably a little more restrictive in the draw from the stock stems.

hoptimum,

clouded vision

I love my solo and I think it's probably the best portable (subjective of course) out there but I don't think it is right for this situation. For someone who has never smoked, the hits might be too thick, especially at her age. Also, for about the first month the retaining ring around the stem will be very tight so she may not be able to get it in herself

honestly for someone just starting, the wispr isn't a bad choice. Filling butane really isn't that hard (a little scary the first time you do but after that it's nothing new) your grandfather may not be able to line it up to fill but as long as she can then you won't have a problem. aside from that, I would say that a bag might be the way to go.

clouded vision,

debaserrrrr

I wouldn't worry about vapor density. Just tell her to take small hits, which she probably should be doing anyways.

debaserrrrr,

Katysax

My wife is 66 years old - not as old as your Grandma but old enough to be a Grandma. She does not want to smoke. We have a few vapes around the house, she loves the Pinnacle. It does not give hits as thick as the Da Vinci, but the Pinnacle is very easy to clean. The Da Vinci gets hot to hold, the Pinnacle does not. She tried the water attachment, but doesn't think that it cools the temp all that much. She likes the ease of use; she can fill the Pinnacle and medicate all day easily.

We also have the Palm 2.0. It took me a lot of messing with it to make it useful. My wife hates it. I think the MFLB would have some of the save issues.

The Pinnacle is not as slick as the Pax, and it doesn't have the range of temperature controls. But it is easy to load, easy to clean, easy to use. Battery lasts all day if you aren't a heavy user.

We all get louder as we get older because we can't hear ourselves.

Primasilva

The WISPR 2 came in the mail last night, so I HAD to test it out :-P

I wasn't too impressed - I did two bowls out of it - it took 5-10 tries to light the stupid thing for both! Is it the dreaded defective piezo, or is that normal? I'm not sure Grandma is coordinated/patient enough to sit there clicking it a zillion times.

Once it was on, it wasn't bad. The vapor was great at first, then started tasting like burnt popcorn after maybe 2-3 hits. Maybe because of the silicone? I thought that taste was supposed to mean it was cashed, but would it really be done that fast? The learning curve was okay - I took way too big of a hit the first couple tries, but then I figured it out. And it did get me more medicated than I've been in a really long time!

So I think I'll either return the WISPR or keep it for myself, and then get her a more easy to use vape. I was going to do the Solo, but Ed Wood is sold out of stems right now. The Pinnacle looks pretty sweet, though!

Primasilva,

Primasilva

I may have gone sligntly overboard... I went to eBay and ordered a Pinnacle for $130 from theyoyokid1 AND a Solo for $138.95 from easyvape. Both sellers have decent reviews from people here on FC.

I'll give Grandma the one she likes best, keep for myself the second best, and return or sell the 3rd best. I might be too broke to eat for the next couple weeks, but it'll be worth it... unless I get the munchies!

Edited to add - I also found two other stores selling wooden Solo stems: VaporStore and PuffItUp :)

mrweed

vaporizer review blogger
for real, i'd say you've made a good choice! the wispr is fucking easy to use. just push a button and that's it. Maybe filling the herb chamber could be a problem though! it's very small.
the magic flight is easier to fill, but maybe to complicated to controll the temperature well!
the arizer solo with a whip adapter could also be a good choice, not too complicated, but lots of possibilites and she can use it hands free!

let us know which one she likes most. i'd put my money on the solo.

mrweed,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
I'm always broke because of weed, I just love it so much :disgust:

mail2_zps98c47683.jpg

Tom Funk

Let us know which one she chooses and why. I also have an elderly relative who would benefit from vaping, so would be interested in the outcome.

Cheers
TF

Tom Funk,
Reactions: Kief
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom