Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

JoeKickass

Ah ha, this might be a good opportunity to learn something about disassembly (Which might come in handy for an out of warranty Ascent that needs new batteries)

Is there a screw in that top hole?
20130705_100859_zps4c6405ac.jpg

I assume the sides don't get too hot? It looks like they just used double-sided tape, just peel the old stuff off and put new strips on. That way you can still disassemble if you need to...

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
Anyone have any comments on the flavor yet?
Im sure I have commented on the flavor before, but it is superior to alot of vapes in that department, it even tastes good with reheated bowls and the open airflow makes it feel super natural with the draws

WakeAndVape,

pastadoble

Ah ha, this might be a good opportunity to learn something about disassembly (Which might come in handy for an out of warranty Ascent that needs new batteries)

I assume the sides don't get too hot? It looks like they just used double-sided tape, just peel the old stuff off and put new strips on. That way you can still disassemble if you need to...

It would be really awesome if you could mix and match the different sidings, say go from Croc to wood burl if you felt the need.

mod note: Please do not quote more than necessary. Picture removed.

pastadoble,
Reactions: ma125

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X

Good advice on the double sided tape too, but no there is no screw at the top it looks like it could be the battery directly underneath. ..and no, the sides don't get hot at all

Vapnoob

Nubile Vaporist
More pictures please, I just started to drool. I've been dying to see some of the assembly.

Vapnoob,

WildChild

Seeking My Shangri-La
Double-sided tape!? Really? Does this not seem a bit sub-standard for a $250 vaporizer?

I want to like this one, I really do, but I'm comparing the build to that of my Extreme Q / Solo. What good is the all-glass airpath and fancy functions if the unit is going to fall to pieces?

I realize that it is easy for me to sit back and be critical when I am unaware of what it takes to bring a product to market.

My wise Mother always told me: "Spend the extra $ on QUALITY". After seeing that picture, I'm not convinced that this is the case with the Ascent. Hope I am wrong.

WildChild,

Vapnoob

Nubile Vaporist
These are pre-production units, so I'm not going to hold it against DV. And double sided tape is used in everything from pc's to cars, all costing more than the vape. It looks like adhesive from the pics though. I'm glad it can be removed. Easy to service/upgrade, and customize. I'll be decking mine out with carbon fiber and croc skin.

WildChild

Seeking My Shangri-La
These are pre-production units, so I'm not going to hold it against DV. And double sided tape is used in everything from pc's to cars, all costing more than the vape. It looks like adhesive from the pics though. I'm glad it can be removed. Easy to service/upgrade, and customize. I'll be decking mine out with carbon fiber and croc skin.
Good points, Vapnoob. Perhaps it is a bit premature to be concerned.

Vaporito

I think the side coming off maybe a fluke. On the positive side it will lend itself to different skins that davninci had alluded to in the future. and also since the batteries don't get hot it does not seem to be an issue with the panel coming off due to overheating...

After experiencing the Rock solid quality of the original (2nd edition) Davinci, I have a lot of trust on the build of the ascent...

IT reminds me of when I first got my $24,000.00 Mini Cooper, and a reflector sticker came off on the inside panel of the door... I just put it back and never had an issue in the last 10 years.

OF

Yes, I think exactly so. And that sure looks like a screw slot in the lower hole. Like Iolite hiding their screws under a trim plate.

Double-sided tape!? Really? Does this not seem a bit sub-standard for a $250 vaporizer?

Unless you're trying to make something that can be serviced rather than thrown away. It would, of course, have been much easier to use any number of glues that would not allow the side covers to be removed without destruction.

While some might find such things as 'clear evidence of a shoddy product', I see just the opposite. Exposed hardware I'd consider a positive thing, glued together cases a sign that there was nothing worth repairing inside?

OF

WildChild

Seeking My Shangri-La
It's a lot premature to be concerned. One incident isn't enough to indicate a manufacturing problem.
Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion...as am I.

To me, cheap adhesive / tape does not mean easy removal of the panel for service. There are other options that could have been utilized. I suspect it was a cost factor. Fair enough.

I realize that you wish to keep your good relations with DV (and I respect that).

Just sayin'...

WildChild,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion...as am I.

To me, cheap adhesive / tape does not mean easy removal of the panel for service. There are other options that could have been utilized. I suspect it was a cost factor. Fair enough.

I realize that you wish to keep your good relations with DV (and I respect that).

Just sayin'...

I'm not sure what you're getting at with that last remark, but my comment has nothing to do with DaVinci. It has to do with the shortsightedness of drawing a conclusion from a single isolated example. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. You might want to ponder how much value anyone will give it if that's how quick you are to draw a conclusion.

lwien

That's out of line and not true. And if it were, why would you respect it? That's fucked up. And you were talking to a guy who's never had a DV product.

Hell, I was accused of being employed by Purple Days, 7th Floor and Magic Flight so it makes perfect sense that Paka's in bed with DV. And Sticks's real name is Mobius. :ninja:

I blame this all on StoneMonkey. :cool:

But back on topic, it sure is nice to see those thick vapor clouds at 385F in that vid. THAT is pretty impressive. I'm just wondering if the bowl had to be totally packed to the brim for that to happen.

Medical Mark

I'm sure its just a rare thing and you were the one it happened to.
Its all good, the vapor quality and thickness of this vape speaks for itself right.
THR had the ascent moving vapor throught the glass mouth piece and it was dense.
I'm very impressed and can't wait to try one.
I have a davinci now for 4 days and must say it medicates really well but doesn't put ut the vapor shown with ascent.
So DV has stepped up the game and by the looks of it, its called the ascent.

What are all you talking about in bed, wake up, chill out and quit being so cynical and assuming things its not very nice and
Inappropriate considering you don't know any of these guys.

Medical mark

max

Out to lunch
WildChild said:
I want to like this one, I really do, but I'm comparing the build to that of my Extreme Q / Solo. What good is the all-glass airpath and fancy functions if the unit is going to fall to pieces?
I guess you weren't around for the 'flaking ceramic' issue when the Solo was released. For a while one version of the Volcano Classic had a piece of internal tubing getting easily 'kinked up' and severely restricting the air path. Shit happens to all kinds (and grades) of companies.

WildChild

Seeking My Shangri-La
I was trying to have an objective discussion about build quality...and I did NOT mean offense with my last sentence. I'm sorry you took it that way. And yes, I do respect the relationship as it will hopefully result in better products for all. Not sure how that is 'fucked up', but I also respect your opinion on that.

For the record, I own the original DV. I had to swap it out twice for a unit that actually worked so I will exercise caution when purchasing again from this company. I never had any issues with my Extreme Q or Solo...great products, again, in my opinion. I'm also looking at the miniVAP as another great product.

Should reviews of the Ascent (when it is finally released) be positive ones, I'll buy it.

Again, my intention was not to stir up shit, just hear others' opinions on the glue/tape aspect. And now I have.

Thank you for not deleting my posts and letting me give my opinion. Right or wrong.

I guess you weren't around for the 'flaking ceramic' issue when the Solo was released. For a while one version of the Volcano Classic had a piece of internal tubing getting easily 'kinked up' and severely restricting the air path. Shit happens to all kinds (and grades) of companies.
Fair enough. And you bring up a great point: I'll wait for second or third verisons to have all the kinks worked out.

Did the double post thing again....ARGH!

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Mark the DV makes huge clouds so play with it.

Dreamerr,

max

Out to lunch
I'll wait for second or third verisons to have all the kinks worked out.
I don't know that they'd ever designate version 2 or whatever, but there's a lot to be said for buying later, rather than sooner, for all kinds of 'new' products. I always heard 'wait for year 2' when a car maker came out with a new model.

max,
Reactions: Kief

WildChild

Seeking My Shangri-La
I don't know that they'd ever designate version 2 or whatever, but there's a lot to be said for buying later, rather than sooner, for all kinds of 'new' products. I always heard 'wait for year 2' when a car maker came out with a new model.
Couldn't agree more. And if the folks here feel it is a good product (not the demo) after use, that is all I will need to hear. You all obviously have a lot of experience and I appreciate the advice and information.

WildChild,
Reactions: JCat

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
  • I dont think that that panel on the side coming off speaks badly for the ascent either, even if they used the same design/adhesive for the final product...especially if its a cheap reliable fix, this is one of (if not the) my favorite vapes, the taste is excellent, battery life is livable and it gets me from point a to point b in no time...I would highly recommend it . my main concern for getting it serviced is not being able to use it during that period but since the panels are ascetic and not fuctional it doesnt affect 'build quality' in my book either

WakeAndVape,
Reactions: OF
Top Bottom