Ascent Vaporizer by Da Vinci (pre-sale thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I just returned from the Toronto Treating Yourself Expo, where I got to see, handle, and even hit an Ascent. I also got to chat quite a bit with the designer, Cortney, who explained his design philosophy and pointed out several subtle design decisions that make the Ascent a better device. It's pretty clear they took the criticisms and suggestions that were prompted by the DaVinci and tried to make a better vapourizer. Although I only had a brief time with the Ascent, I believe they have succeeded.

As many of you know, I don't do snap reviews. I like to use and live with a device before I form an opinion. I am willing to say this much, however. The current leader in cool sex appeal is the Pax. That reign is about to come to an end. The Ascent looks cool, feels high quality when you pick it up, and is downright sexy. You can use it with one hand, and it is quite discreet. The taste is just what you'd expect from an all-glass vapour path—clean and pure. It definitely works.

Cortney was not willing to be pinned down to a specific shipping date. All he would say was "in the next month." One reason for the delay is that there turned out to be a fair amount of fine tuning as they approached the launch date. I know it's frustrating to those of you eagerly anticipating the Ascent, but I believe you'll find that the extra wait is worth it.

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
I just returned from the Toronto Treating Yourself Expo, where I got to see, handle, and even hit an Ascent. I also got to chat quite a bit with the designer, Cortney, who explained his design philosophy and pointed out several subtle design decisions that make the Ascent a better device. It's pretty clear they took the criticisms and suggestions that were prompted by the DaVinci and tried to make a better vapourizer. Although I only had a brief time with the Ascent, I believe they have succeeded.

As many of you know, I don't do snap reviews. I like to use and live with a device before I form an opinion. I am willing to say this much, however. The current leader in cool sex appeal is the Pax. That reign is about to come to an end. The Ascent looks cool, feels high quality when you pick it up, and is downright sexy. You can use it with one hand, and it is quite discreet. The taste is just what you'd expect from an all-glass vapour path—clean and pure. It definitely works.

Cortney was not willing to be pinned down to a specific shipping date. All he would say was "in the next month." One reason for the delay is that there turned out to be a fair amount of fine tuning as they approached the launch date. I know it's frustrating to those of you eagerly anticipating the Ascent, but I believe you'll find that the extra wait is worth it.

How much was loaded into the bowl? How easy was the operation of the controller panel?

Glad to hear that it's a solid vape right out of the gate.

VaporEyes,

Jimmy

Its solid but do you think the glass would break if dropped when the tube is in. Also iv found on the pax you need to wait for it to warm back up after every few hits. Did it do that or did it stay at a constant temp? Im glad to hear good first impressions!

Jimmy,

green2brown

Its solid but do you think the glass would break if dropped when the tube is in. Also iv found on the pax you need to wait for it to warm back up after every few hits. Did it do that or did it stay at a constant temp? Im glad to hear good first impressions!

The Pax is a conduction vape, so the waiting period is necessary because the longer the bud cooks without added airflow, the more vapor will be produced. The Ascent is supposedly primarily a convection vape, so the airflow is what will create the vapor, meaning no waiting period should be necessary.

green2brown,

poonman

Leave it to Paka and his Credentials to get the mission accomplished .
Now we know for sure , it is NOT the ' mivape ' fiasco all over again .

One more month , do I hear a 4th of July sale ?

NYC5IKH5jabi

I've never felt that way about the pax. It's mostly conduction and keeps on burning. I've also never had a issue sharing the pax with friends.

NYC5IKH5jabi,

Nunavut Tripper

Thanks Pakalolo for doing a more thorough review than I did. Give the Organix people the necessary time to get it right the first time .
I already have more vapes than I need so I'm in no rush.

We enjoyed the T Y Expo this year. We've been to all four of them and this one had a very professional feel to it. It's hard to believe you're in Canada , cannabis consumers have come a long way in public acceptance.

Nunavut Tripper,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
How much was loaded into the bowl? How easy was the operation of the controller panel?

Glad to hear that it's a solid vape right out of the gate.

I didn't load it so I'm not sure how much was in the bowl. The bowl is a moderate size, about .2g if I recall correctly. There shouldn't be an issue with small loads because the Ascent isn't relying on conduction. You certainly don't have to pack it tightly, unlike the Pax.

The controller panel is easy to operate although it isn't obvious what all of the button press options are. There's the +/- keys to change the temperature, and there's a gear-wheel button for setting options and user programming. It's not complicated or hard to remember, but you'll probably need to refer to the instructions rather than trying to figure it out. The Ascent is designed so that you can operate it with one hand even if you have debilitating hand issues, and one nice feature is that there is no danger of pocket-pressing buttons.

The only way I could see the glass breaking would be if you dropped it right on the stem while it was extended. I don't think this will be a fragile device at all. Also, the stem is easily replaced if you do happen to break it.

In the brief experience I had, I saw no tendency at all for a need to warm up between hits. In fact, Cortney told me that their temperature testing showed that the Ascent holds its temperature remarkably well, with about a one degree Fahrenheit variation. I really don't know the full testing protocol they used to determine that though.

One more aspect that I'm willing to comment on is the draw. I naturally have a light draw and I found no restriction at all. Since I wasn't really testing the limits of the Ascent I don't know how hard you can pull before it feels restricted. It is definitely not Pax-like, however.

I made comparisons to the Pax because I see the Ascent going head-to-head with the Pax in the marketplace because of the styling and price. I think the look and feel of the Pax earned it a lot of sales, particularly among first-time vapourizer owners. The Ascent has that same appeal in spades.

farscaper

i am in the market for a new vape... This seems like it would fit my needs well, but how does it work with oils exactly?

farscaper,

NYC5IKH5jabi

we'll let you know when someone uses it.
Lmfao liked for the bluntness.
A month from now we should all be extremely happy. I never even thought about the safety protocol for a device like the ascent with buttons on the outside. Now I am feeling that their due diligence is extremely important and we should all reconsider any reservations we may have had with respect to all these delays. Well done davinci! I can tell your a company that's in it to win it!

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
I can't offer more info than Paka did (wish I knew you were heading there to meet ya face to face), and I never had a chance to try the Ascent out myself unfortunately. However, I 'can' say that this is a very attractive and solid feel device that I look forward to finding a holster for (the guy in line just before me was talking with Cortney and associate about possibly developing and supplying cases for them) should something ever suit it.

Cortney was great, friendly, and informative (except for the damn release date :D ), and wouldn't even discuss nor take double the money for a demo unit no matter how often I passed the booth with the 'how bout now?' question... hehe

This will definitely be my next portable since I hear it calling to me and is pleasing to my fancies. The oil pots for the chamber have me giggling like a schoolgirl !

farscaper

I was attracted to the original davinci because of the oil pot system but never did pull the trigger. I have a notion to lean more this direction. Again :)

farscaper,

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!
This is a fake review. Weve already discussed this. Thanks for trying to help though.

Didnt know that , thanks for that !!
sorry people scratch that !!!
I only want real reviews!!!!!
I must of missed that discussion, thanks ascendedthoughts!!!!

Thanks Mods, it was late & i though it was a legit review!!!
Thanks for FYI!!!

BLAZING OG,
Reactions: toros23

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
That was me on 420... I combusted that day to remind myself how gross it was...

As you can see, it did not,fair well... But results may vary lmao
Stay Away From BlackHoles , Once your past the event horizon..............

RUDE BOY,

Shrike

Flower Potted, Maxed, & Rio'd.
My big hope is that with the extra time needed (a month or so) to do the tweaking on the current incarnations...that they are able to get their manufacturer's to stream out a lot more units for the actual unveiling....otherwise...we might hear a lot of whining from any pre-orders that have to wait for the second wave to appear.
I get the feeling DaVinci has created a monster that is going to create huge sales numbers for them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom