Aromazap/Myrtlezap/CeramicRockZap

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Hi fellow zap owners,
I'm having some trouble learning how to use my RockZap, and I was wondering if I could get a few pointers.

1 - how do I know when the unit it at working temperature?
(once the body is warm-to-hot, or does it still need time after that, or will it have been ready for a while by then)

2 - just to confirm, rockzaps shouldn't be left on 24/7?
(a pretty significant downside to the zap is the heating time, and I remember reading that log vapes can be left on 24/7 to effectively remove this limitation, but I also remember reading somewhere that rockzaps specifically should not be left on 24/7

3 - how much should I pack in the stem?
(I'm not a fan of sucking my herb up into a stem to load it, I have been basically just scooping my stem through my ground herb, and lightly patting down the top with my pinky)

4 - what sort clouds should I be expecting?
(my daily driver is my ssv, and my main portable unit is my solo(s))

5 - how tight should a stem be when fitting into the unit?
(mine fit in quite loosely and easily wobble, I just wanted to double check that this is how it's supposed to be.)

Any other tips some zap-pros can give me would be nice.
Thanks in advance for you help.

Frederick McGuire,

reece

THCMuscle said:
Got a question for you zap-pro's:

I'm looking forward to the aromatherapy side of this thing as much as I am the vaporizer side. I typically burn a lot of incense, but fuck combustion right? I was curious what kind of essential/scented oils I should try out? Where might I purchase said oils? I've also been told that you can shave incense sticks off into the aroma cup and the effect is similar?

Either way, can't wait! Thanks again to Rick for phenomenal customer service. He's replyed to every email of mine in under 24hrs. Sometimes as short as 30min. I'm so happy I got the EXACT zap that I wanted. If anyone is lurking waiting for the perfect zap be patient, it will come!

Lavender is a must have. Not only does it smell good, you can also use it for minor burns (just rub on the affected area). Eucalyptus is great, as are many others. There are also many blends.

I also used to burn incense a lot. My favorite was Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa. I recently found an essential oil version which isn't exactly the same but very close and qutie nice.

Google (or whatever search engine you use) is your friend, there is a lot of info out there. There is also a thread (probably threads) on the subject here at fuck combustion.

One online place I've purchased from and am happy with is Aroma For Life.

Good luck.

reece,

Albert Hofmann

Convicted vapist
@Frederick Mcguire, in response to your question ?#2, you can definitely leave your zap on 24/7 with no problems whatsoever.

Albert Hofmann,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Frederick McGuire said:
Hi fellow zap owners,
I'm having some trouble learning how to use my RockZap, and I was wondering if I could get a few pointers.

1 - how do I know when the unit it at working temperature?
(once the body is warm-to-hot, or does it still need time after that, or will it have been ready for a while by then)

2 - just to confirm, rockzaps shouldn't be left on 24/7?
(a pretty significant downside to the zap is the heating time, and I remember reading that log vapes can be left on 24/7 to effectively remove this limitation, but I also remember reading somewhere that rockzaps specifically should not be left on 24/7

3 - how much should I pack in the stem?
(I'm not a fan of sucking my herb up into a stem to load it, I have been basically just scooping my stem through my ground herb, and lightly patting down the top with my pinky)

4 - what sort clouds should I be expecting?
(my daily driver is my ssv, and my main portable unit is my solo(s))

5 - how tight should a stem be when fitting into the unit?
(mine fit in quite loosely and easily wobble, I just wanted to double check that this is how it's supposed to be.)

Any other tips some zap-pros can give me would be nice.
Thanks in advance for you help.

I don't know if I would be considered a "Zap pro," but I'm doing my best to get there. :D

1. The unit is up to temp in an hour (or less).
2. They can (and should) be left on 24/7. This is the beauty of this vape. Always ready.
3. People who are new to this vape find that filling the stem 1/2 full in the beginning helps with learning
the draw. I like the straw method, but the scoop works too. Just don't pack it too tight or it will
restrict your draw too much.
4. You will not get the clouds you get with your SSV. But, you can still pull some good clouds. You can
also pair your Zap up with a water tool and get larger clouds.

I think my final words would be that this is a vape that takes some patience to get to know, but once you do, it becomes a very good friend. :cool:

momofthegoons,

THCMuscle

So I was telling a very ignorant friend of mine about the RZ, and how it drew essentially "two lightbulbs" of current. (I seem to remember reading that somewhere) He seemed to think this was a lot of wasted energy. I theorized that a high-draw vape could potentially draw what an RZ does in a day in one large session.

Can anyone confirm how much juice a RZ does in fact pull? And what item around a normal household could it be compared to in this sense?

My RZ should get here thursday! Wooot.

THCMuscle,

Rick

Zapman
THC
A small refrigerator light bulb. 7-8 watts. Not much.
Most people think many more watts when you say "lightbulb", then you added 'two lightbulbs'. No wonder you got that reaction.
CRZs love 24/7 on.

Rick,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
It uses 8 watts. The same as two nightlights. If you run it 24/7 365 days, it is about $8-$12 per year.

Magic9,

THCMuscle

Ha, awesome! Thanks so much for the replys. And Rick, again, thanks for the amazing service!

I'll be sure to take some tasty photos and post up a review.

THCMuscle,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Yeah i definitely love some eucalyptus in my zap, makes the whole place smell great. Really seems to freshen the stuffy winter air in the house with just a few drops without a sickeningly overpowering smell like your average store-bought sprays and air fresheners. A friend brought over some scented oils they bought at walmart, ones that werent natural extract sort of scents, and i didnt enjoy them at all, really sickeningly overpowering. Definitely go for the real extracts, i found some nice ones at my local GNC. I tried some Jasmine too, its not bad but is a bit strong and flowery for me. i used to put one drop of it in and about 3-4 drops of eucalyptus, but now i find myself preferring just a couple drops of eucalyptus by itself.

steiner666,

Vitolo

Vaporist
In a small aroma cap like the Zaps, you wont want to use incenses.
The essential oils that work the best are the less resiny ones.. the ones that are more volatile.
The volatile ones leave little residues behind.
Lavender and lemon work well.
I also like to mix and match and combine.
wood essential oils(cedar and myrrh and others) are resiny, and need additon of volatiles from leaves and petals
I use many oils to achieve the effects I am looking for, but it is good to start with some nice clean basics!
DSC00547.jpg

Vitolo,

SD_haze

Vitolo said:
In a small aroma cap like the Zaps, you wont want to use incenses.
The essential oils that work the best are the less resiny ones.. the ones that are more volatile.
The volatile ones leave little residues behind.
Lavender and lemon work well.
I also like to mix and match and combine.
wood essential oils(cedar and myrrh and others) are resiny, and need additon of volatiles from leaves and petals
I use many oils to achieve the effects I am looking for, but it is good to start with some nice clean basics!
http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m580/VitoloVaporizes/DSC00547.jpg

So would any lemon / lavender essential oil i find be volatile and would work well with the zaps?

SD_haze,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Read the fine print.
Look for it to say 100% pure essential oil
be sure that there is no "*" under the genus name of the bottled oil.. sayin
*with 20% jojoba oil as a carrier... or any other added ingredient.
100% pure essential oil
The lavender oils come from 3 sources.. the european ones are the best.

Vitolo,

THCMuscle

I just picked up some NOW 100% pure essential oil. Lemon, Eucalyptus and Peppermint, Now I wait for mr. Zap!

THCMuscle,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Good job. Now is a clean brand.
Use peppermint sparingly, it's strong.... I like a touch of it on top of lemon!
Clean oils!

Vitolo,

SD_haze

Hey zapville,

Both of my stems have gotten pretty clogged now that I've been using a finer grind. Are you able to clean the polycarbonate stems with ISO?

I do have some replacement RZ screens but I didnt want to bother installing new ones if these can be cleaned outright.

Also, my original RZ stem doesn't appear to have a retaining clip, so would replacing its screen not work right?

-Thanks

SD_haze,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Use the force Luke SD_haze!
Yes... soak those bad boys in 91% Iso... I like tip down..
After 15 minutes.. dunk in and out a few times like a teabag...
follow with a hot water rinse, and a few seconds carefully held onto at a shopvac!
Photoon2011-08-22at1410.jpg

P.S.
go in with a sharp tool if any pieces were not dislodged and gone.. and just be careful, and go around edges!
Photoon2011-09-02at0949.jpg

The screen on the left is a brass stem.. used daily for 11 months.
The screen on the right is a SS stem been used daily all day every day since the SS Stems were made!
I have not been forced to use a "pick" on the SS one yet, and I think I used one twice on the "Sassy Brassy" (term of endearment stolen from Rick!)
DSC00164.jpg

Vitolo,

SD_haze

If I don't have a shopvac will it dry fine overnight just normally?

Or would a dyson vacuum work just as well?

SD_haze,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
SD, if you don't have a shop vac, canned air will also work. Or, overnight drying. I've even taken a hair dryer to them to get them dry so that I could use them... :lol:

momofthegoons,

Nycdeisel

I dont wait for them to dry very long, i let them sit, i also suck through it hard through something so i dont inhale drops of water and then i let it sit empty on the zap for a moment, it dries a little faster this way.

My new glass(Headford inline bubbler) jus got here and its working mighty fine with my rockzap! now if only those gong stems would get here already! i will get a video for you zap people

Nycdeisel,

Vitolo

Vaporist
All of this works well!
Before I was a Shopvacaholic, I use canned air aimed and blown!

Vitolo,

cluffy

Vaker
Nycdiesel, I don't know how you're doing it now, but a short piece (1" or so) of 7th Floor hose on the end of a RockZap stem makes it fit a 14mm female GG fitting wonderfully.

cluffy,

Nycdeisel

What? :lol:

Im using the stock stem in a 14mm reducer adapter so its a perfect fit, but i know the gong stem will be a bit easier plus it will help on this short piece. the stock stems fit well enough i wouldnt think of adding tubing.

Nycdeisel,

Albert Hofmann

Convicted vapist
The mailman should be delivering my new zap(sumac N20) in the next hour or so, and I have the next 3 days off to thoroughly test this thing out! I'll be sure to post up a review, and a comparison of my old style brass zap to the new style rockzap, once I've had a chance to put it through the paces. Happy vaping folks!

Albert Hofmann,

Rick

Zapman
NYC, it looks like your GonG stems went through DENVER yesterday so yours is in the USPS fuck up maze for awhile. Going from Spokane on Monday should have it in New York easy yesterday so it got mis-routed. It happens on occasion with those tiny 1 ounce packages. At least they are all bar coded with tracking now so they do not get lost like in the old days.

Nice shot of the stem tips Vito. I wonder if it the CRZ doing it or if the SS tips have an effect? Do you ever use the brass stems with the sleeve in the CRZ? I wonder if a brass stem used always in the CRZ would get clogged like the one you show?
If you hire Ethyl to soak the stems at 180 proof(90%), the left over stuff is real fun and easy to drink. Easy meaning no messing with much. Just down the hatch with the amber green juice.
All stems have retaining clips when they leave here. Screens would not stay in the slightly larger SS tips without the clips. It may have come out at a later time though.
Albert, you will love that Sumac Out on a Limb. We have found the Sumacs usually perform at the top of the CRZ heat range. Sumac is a low density wood. At least the scraps we have are that way.
Everything ordered from the website except one small misc order shipped today for an expected Saturday arrival. We could be getting into the USPS window of more fuck ups because of the season. Then we have the 'poor me' attitude with many USPS workers these days because cut are looming for them.

Rick,

Nycdeisel

Ah alright thanks for the headsup Rick, i wonder when they will finally get around to the east coast

Nycdeisel,
Top Bottom