Aromazap/Myrtlezap/CeramicRockZap

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
These turnings have some great curving lines Rick, nice job!

Rick said:
guardian
We are running a bit longer than 0ne week from order to ship. That would put yours shipping at the end of next week at the earliest. We still have a decent line ahead of any order made.
Lots of new action going on here at FC in the log vape area. We are very glad to see it and are also very glad we have decided to take a few steps up in the Zap world at this time
I have mentioned that we are working on a bottom install of the concrete lined version of our SSS heatport. I picked up a couple scraps Saturday that were turned out in just a few minutes to determine how the bottom install design might look and work. Today I put one together just for testing. Very nice. Very thick clouds. We like it.

Here is a front view showing a couple different designs that we will not be doing. We will not have the hard to polish lines that you see on these two pieces. Old style walnut Zap in the middle for size comparison.
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab282/myrtlezap/bottominstall001.jpg
Here you see the top view. Look closely between the wood and the SSS heatport for the ceramic insulator.
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab282/myrtlezap/bottominstall003.jpg
Another shot with a few ceramic insulators on the side. These insulators were cut from floor tiles with a water jet. We will have one on the top of the concrete lined SSS heatport and one at the bottom of the concrete cup, all held in place mechanically with very small wood screws.
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab282/myrtlezap/bottominstall005.jpg
We are showing these shots to let you all know what is coming down the Zapville tracks soon. I want to show the top view with the wood design. The ceramic insulators will allow the wood to be wood without too much heat. We expect a very long lifetime for these Zaps because the wood is protected from the heat very thoroughly.
They are still nice and warm to hold. Not as warm as total wood insulated log vapes but still plenty therapeutic for aching hands.

underdog,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Photoon2011-08-22at11352.jpg

While this SSS Zap warms up for me to try it for the 1st time, I thought I would show off the unique eye in the back. It is perfectly smooth too. Imagine what this will look like once ZaPolish is "slathered' on?

Edit:
This is an edit, AND a response to Deez.
That gorgeous piece is very old Myrtle that was stored inside. It like almost all of Zapville's goods is a one of a kind!
I acquired one last brass Zap, that will merit some photo's, but I am waiting to borrow a real camera. The "Last Brass" is made of Sycamore... and I am delighted that it is here.
Photoon2011-08-22at1310.jpg

You'll hear more from "Syc", later when a real photo shoot commences!
About the AromaZapSSS.
Testing done, and of course was a great amount of fun.
From the very first time I aimed, and went to slide the tube into the heat port there was a huge difference in the feel of the experience. The wider Solid Stainless Steel walls to the heatport, give an easy and foolproof target to hit with your loaded stem tip. A very secure and confident connection was made as the stem tip slid with great facility into place. The slightly dulled shape of the heatports top surface guided my stem tip in simply.
I was pushing the limits putting in the stem tip loaded as this baby was only plugged in for 40 minutes, and was about to go head to head with a dark walnut that has been plugged in for weeks.
Full vapor after 40 minutes... to match the vapor of the Walnetta, who has been hot for a month!
Now when my SSS Zaps load stopped Vaping... only one other Zap in the house was able to wring a last hit out of that stem...
That was Kushin' the curly blonde... who runs so damn amazingly hot.
I gave the whole thing 15 more minutes.
This time it is AromazapSSS (Indoor stored Myrtle of a mature age) vs. ONLY Kushin' the myrtle Brass blonde.
My myrtle Zap (curly Blonde) that I call Kushin has been a shocker in that she is hotter than any Zap I have met in person, and hotter than two log vapes of a different maker.
The SSS just now gave 5 pulls...
And Kushin' was only able to gather a barely visible wisp, on that 6th pull following the SSS.
10 minutes more
Final test -
I was able to do a stem in all Zaps except "Kushin".. the super Hot myrtle, and the SSS was able to wring 2-3 extra pulls from all.
I did a stem in Kushin.... and the SSS was able to get one barely visible wisp (ahh how things change).
If the SSS gets any warmer (and it was only plugged in for an hour) it will pass my "freakishly Hot" Myrtle Kushin' with no contest!

Vitolo,

Nycdeisel

DAMN Vitolo, I have never seen an eye like that! its gorgeous! im sure you will give it lots of love and care, and I know it will be fair alongside your other zaps too ! ;)

enjoy it man, looking forward to seeing it more here, there, and VTV :D

Nycdeisel,

Vitolo

Vaporist
kewpcer said:
Is that one of the AZ Med Zaps Vito?
Yes it is the first, and so will not go to a home until there is another to take her place as a demo unit for the visiting patients. Once the next AZ Med Zap arrives, the first Cardholder in line will get his choice.
Since I too will be owner of an AZ Med Zap, the one that is plugged in will likely stay here, unless there is that special feeling in the air, and a special connection is made between a Zap and a patient.. And then the Universe will guide that decision!

Vitolo,

SirElton

What are the best ways to clean the stems? I was thinking of using a q-tip and some 50% iso, but I'm not sure how that will work with the screen. What do yall do?

SirElton,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Photoon2011-08-22at1410.jpg

91% Iso (70% is good , just not as fast)
when done, I rinse, and hold firmly in the nozzle of a shop vac.
A dipping motion loosens any debri that may have clung to screen.
(glass vase was 2.50 at Crate&Barrel)

Vitolo,

Rick

Zapman
Nice review Vito. Thanks for being so thorough. Nothing like going from unit to unit with the same stem to determine who pulls the most. That old wood is the perfect density for a wood insulated Zap.

I have been using the latest RockZap with the bottom install, post 4983, far right and shown in last pic with the ceramic insulating rings for the last two days. First off, it is plenty warm to hold. It is smaller in diameter and height than a standard Zap.

I am concluding even the best wood is not the best insulator for a log vape. This thing(RockZap with ceramic insulators, top and bottom) pulls like I have never experienced with a log vape. It is hotter for sure than the old brass heatport but it is not too hot. The thing is, it just keeps pulling and the last pulls are not harsh at all. You can get the ABV as dark as you want but it will only get dark brown, then if you keep pulling, it almost vaporizes the ABV. I can say without a doubt these things will pull anything there is to pull out of herb. With a wood insulated log vape, when they get on the hot side, the hits get harsh and very close to combustion. With the insulated SSS port the vapor stays smooth all the way through.
Of course that is my opinion only. It is a fact that I have never pulled so many times so smoothly from a wood insulated Zap.
For those car/engine folks we have a slight increase in horsepower but a massive increase in torque with the insulated heatport.
For the physicist, we have a great increase in inertia.
For the electrician, more amperage from the insulated version.

Big batch of regular SSS units on the test bench now for shipment tomorrow. That will take us through orders made up to and including the 16th. Going out now to get those promised RockZap1 units started.

Sir Elton, you are correct in the design of the unit I am using. We will be doing soft curves with no tricky stuff to polish. Polishing the wood is part of the log vape ritual so we will be sure to make them easy to shine. The best way to keep stems clean is to vape each load thoroughly. If you do not do that, you leave a little goo in the tip every load and pretty soon it is clogged. Take more pulls before blowing out the ABV to keep stems cleaner.

Rick,

kewpcer

@vito Sounds like a hell of a business model. If the world is a fair place, soon you'll have a full-blown non-profit organization on your hands.

@rick For the runner it's stamina. Turn some pretty ones sir! (Especially mine!)

kewpcer,

smartrott

So I'm assuming the rockzap1 is the zap pictured in #4961 and has the concrete cup liner with a stainless washer on top to conceal the liner, and the rockzap will feature the same liner just installed from the bottom with ceramic inserts on top and bottom? Just trying to get my bearings straight here.
It feels like I walked into zapville at a great time. I'm very excited that a zap with my name on it will be home soon. :peace:

smartrott,

Rick

Zapman
smartrott you are correct. The one I am using now is the bottom install with two extra ceramic insulators, top and bottom. The original install gives similar results. My guess is the extra insulators would win out in a scientific test.
kewpcer
You did good,very good. Unreal stuff under all that wax. And RockZap was the only way to go as it is very light, low density wood. It will flow nicely with the concrete liner.

In fact all of you who pulled the Rock trigger are getting special stuff.
Turning now is special because it is the last of an old era. I picked some treats and they are almost all Myrtle.
BTW, sales out of the US are way, way back there on the back burner if that. US demand is very good and always our first priority. I do have a couple RockZaps going down under to a special customer but that is it for now out of the US.

Rick,

RumbleShorts

Rick said:
In fact all of you who pulled the Rock trigger are getting special stuff.
Turning now is special because it is the last of an old era. I picked some treats and they are almost all Myrtle.

Rick,
You have just made my day again! I'm sure everyone who was on the fence about the Rock and decided to wait just cringed at that statement. While Kewpcer, myself & sounds like Smartrott are all flipping little cartwheels in the stomach.

Really looking forward to what you come up with. From your current testing & Vitolo's SSS review it sounds like the rock liner and ceramic sealers are just the ticket to vape happiness. All wrapped in special "End of Era" wood - OH my Rockzilla is going to be Bitchen!!!

RumbleShorts,

SirElton

Thanks for the tips, Rick & Vitolo. I have a glass with some 50% iso (only stuff I have in the house at present. A trip to the store may be in need) completely submerging the stems. They aren't in dire condition and I could still use them, but some ABV has creeped through the screen and resides on the inside of the tubing. I sometimes get some flakes in the back of my throat, plus some of the screen is slightly blocked up. I think the problem may be I'm pulling a bit too hard. Could that affect the ABV getting stuck inside the stems? I have one stem thats as perfect as the day I got it though. I don't know why, but I always seem to get the best vapor from it too. Does anyone else have a 'special' stem?

Back to stem care and Angels & Demons :)

SirElton,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
SirElton, if you can't find 91% iso, 151 rum or Everclear (if you can get it) work well too. For your stock stems, a plastic travel bottle works great. That way you can shake the stems and get them clean. It helps dislodge any debris in the screen. If worse comes to worse, you can take the screens out and soak them. But, you really should get a screen replacement kit first. It makes it much easier and also comes with extra clips and screens.

I have a feeling that the stems that are clogged are for one of two reasons. Either the grind is too fine, or you are not finishing the stems. Does your abv still have green in it?

momofthegoons,
SirElton said:
Thanks for the tips, Rick & Vitolo. I have a glass with some 50% iso (only stuff I have in the house at present. A trip to the store may be in need) completely submerging the stems. They aren't in dire condition and I could still use them, but some ABV has creeped through the screen and resides on the inside of the tubing. I sometimes get some flakes in the back of my throat, plus some of the screen is slightly blocked up. I think the problem may be I'm pulling a bit too hard. Could that affect the ABV getting stuck inside the stems? I have one stem thats as perfect as the day I got it though. I don't know why, but I always seem to get the best vapor from it too. Does anyone else have a 'special' stem?

Back to stem care and Angels & Demons :)

Try hitting your lodged stem till the stainless steel is HOT then tapping it hard on your glass scarface table or where-ever you break up your drugs till all the little particles fall out. Or put the hot bowl carefully in your mouth and suck of the fine particle up. How thick is the residue on your stems?

biojuggernaut,

SirElton

momofthegoons said:
Does your abv still have green in it?

My ABV is now a golden/dark brown, no green in it any longer (yay!). I'm sure I can pick up some 91% soon, but the 50 is what I already had. It seems to be working alright. I've had the stems soaking for a good 20 minutes now. Biojuggernaut, Bernie Taupin usually does that ;) I have given that technique a go but it wasn't that successful. The residue isn't very thick at all. In fact, its hardly there. I'm mainly just concerned with clearing the stem and screen of those pesky flakes.

SirElton,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Yeah to avoid stem cloggage (and therefor frequent cleaning) i always tap my stems out while theyre still hot. If all of it doesnt come out, i take a couple hits off of whats stuck in there and usually it will come out. If its really stubborn i'll use a tool that i have that has a tip similar to a flathead screwdriver and stick it in there and spin it around to knock it all out without risking damage to the screen.

The most important part is to blow hard through the stem after you think you have it all out, i've found this really helps keep things clean.

but yeah soak the stems in a tall shotglass or something, for at least a few hours then flip them and then another few hours. Dump out iso onto a glass pan/plate and let it evap and scrape that shit up and vape it on a half filled stem ;)

steiner666,

kewpcer

I actually just poke the screen out with a brush handle and clean the gunk out with a pin.

kewpcer,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
NR, Mom, thanks for the replies.

Okay I now know exactly what a bubbler is, I should be able to find something on the net. I have several MZ-friendly adaptors and tubing so if I can find one small enough, that should work. Thanks.

Meanwhile if anyone knows of a good small bubbler to use with the MZ, please post info and/or pix here!

MoeOnTheMoon,

Nycdeisel

My SSS zap package came today, when I was in NY, but now i am in Cali-forn-i-a, and i didnt have a chance to open it :( but I said goodbye to my new zap who I had not yet met and said I would open it as soon as I returned! haha

My pd is getting the job done over here right now

Nycdeisel,

Vitolo

Vaporist
On your way home, stop in AZ and say hi!
(although that would delay your "grand opening"!)
The anticipation must be killing you... yet what a secure feeling you must have knowing it is there!

Vitolo,

Nycdeisel

Precisely, Vito! :)

I was literally on my way out when i had to check if there was mail and I knew it was the big surprise I had been waiting for. I dropped it off at my place before rushing off to the airport(i absolutely had no time to check it out, but I did take the time to make sure it was safe while I was away.

If it was sitting in my lobby instead of my home I would feel so crappy right now.

Hey, we are in the same time zone now! cool beans! :D
lol my computer time still says eastern time. I keep looking at it going :hmm:

Nycdeisel,
Top Bottom