Aromazap/Myrtlezap/CeramicRockZap

the ob

all good in the hood.
glad I was out busy today.

The one thing I will say is that I think it would be best for those who would like to compare different devices to do it in its own dedicated thread in another forum.

It will be best for everyone.

This thread should be dedicated to things specifically relating to the zap.

This is just MY opinion of course.

the ob,

Rick

Zapman
My turn.
SirElton
My apologies for addressing you in the past leaving out the 'Sir'. I will not do that again. I think it is cool that you are who you are and requested the Sir. Good for you. I am 65 and I say Sir all the time, just like 'yes mam' all the time. It is a tradition with many of us old timers. I also served in the Military from '66 to '72.
lwein
I actually think your idea sucks. Just more opportunity for crap like I have put up with for a couple years now. AZ/MZ folks very rarely say anything negative about the PD and the same for PD folks about AZ these days. I personally do not even care to see a comparison thread unless the TT and the WDZ are included as they are also log vapes. collegerower just asked an OPINION, a personal OPINION based on a pic that showed the PD and ZapSSS together. There is no need to now direct folks away from this thread to another, based on opinion because of one question by one FC member who BTW is very fair and objective to all around here. I have everything to gain by your suggestion BTW as we have ALWAYS been below the top log vape dog on this forum since we have been here so I have nothing to lose and lots to gain. My preference is to talk about the AZ here and PD there. If someone wants to compare log vapes, do them all. Fuck this AZ/PD crap. Let it go.

I will address all my construction techniques/methods relating to the RockZap very soon. We are still working through some install techniques and have not yet satisfied ourselves that we have the process down efficiently. We are also experimenting with some concrete mixes that are concocted to provide insulation rather than strength. More air in the mix. Still a rock but an airy rock. More insulation. We also are waiting on trim washers and the bottom SS heatport sealing washer to arrive which will not happen until next week. So no RockZaps out til next week at the earliest.
I would love to be able to say we will be ready earlier but it just is not going to happen.
In the meantime, orders using the traditional install of the SSS heatport are moving along nicely. I did miss shipping a few out today that will have to go tomorrow for an expected Monday arrival. To much back and forth in town between my foot doctor and the body mechanic who makes makes cool stuff for folks to help them walk and live better.
Sorry for the ruffle lwein. Old battles are just that. Old and gone. If anyone says anything disparaging about the PD on this thread, I will call them on it. We are at peace now.
edit for:
My apologies for adding drama. I have no problem with any log vape comparison, I just want to be sure Alan is included in the mix. The TT is a log vape and a damn good one.
Old dust, stirred by another old guy trying to keep the dust down.
Lets do our best to just talk about the AZ and related new changes here.

Rick,

the ob

all good in the hood.
the ob said:
glad I was out busy today.

The one thing I will say is that I think it would be best for those who would like to compare different devices to do it in its own dedicated thread in another forum.

It will be best for everyone.

This thread should be dedicated to things specifically relating to the zap.

This is just MY opinion of course.

Just to clarify, I was not talking about any specific devices rick (and everyone), just a general thing. I just want everyone to be happy and get along. different strokes for different folks........

The world is a much happier place when there is peace.

the ob,

lwien

Rick said:
I also served in the Military from '66 to '72.

We served at the same time. Luckily, I didn't get sent to Nam. Did you? Sent to Pakistan instead, which was quite a different place back then.

Rick said:
My preference is to talk about the AZ here and PD there.

As is mine, which is why I said what I said in the first place. At least that was my intent.

lwien,

the ob

all good in the hood.
I think Rick ,Lwien and I are all saying the same thing. I certainly was not trying to add to the drama either. I was trying to do the opposite.

I think I mentioned this in a earlier post. sometimes what you are trying to convey and how someone interprets it are not the same thing in print. Tone and body language are not available.

I happen to know that even when I am speaking to someone in front of them, sometimes what I think I am saying and what they hear are not the same.

I am fairly certain we are all good now. As Mr Roarke always said "smiles everyone, smiles"

reference lost on younger viewers?

the ob,

guardian

does anyone know if the zap flowers are being made differently to fit the sss heatport? im thinking of buying one later on as i got the plain copper cup best deal going, cant wait for it to arrive :) going to try some evolution herbal shisha out of it peach is probobly favorite. wish i coulda found the "notes" section to mention FC for a third vapor stem... mayby i might have time to email rick still and ask? but im going to be happy with my purchase either way :cool: edit: after almost 2 years of following the thread im glad to join the party! double edit: rick your the man just sent ya an email to care@aromazap with my order # and a message. thanks a bunch now im really excited to get my zap your the best ! ;) :peace:

guardian,

RumbleShorts

the ob said:
I am fairly certain we are all good now. As Mr Roarke always said "smiles everyone, smiles"

reference lost on younger viewers?

Makes me want to bust out the old VHS (wonder where it is, haven't seen it for at least 10 years) just to hear Ricardo say that again.

Thanks for the update Rick,
Next week isn't so long in the "Big Picture" as you true-up the design and wait on parts. It's a good exercise in patience for those of us following every status post you make.

RumbleShorts,
guardian said:
does anyone know if the zap flowers are being made differently to fit the sss heatport? im thinking of buying one later on as i got the plain copper cup best deal going, cant wait for it to arrive :) going to try some evolution herbal shisha out of it peach is probobly favorite. wish i coulda found the "notes" section to mention FC for a third vapor stem... mayby i might have time to email rick still and ask? but im going to be happy with my purchase either way :cool: edit: after almost 2 years of following the thread im glad to join the party!

There used to be a section on paypal to put in notes; since they have re-done there page it is no longer there so you can just email Rick and he'll prolly get to you in time.

biojuggernaut,

Rick

Zapman
lwein
Army reserves, stayed in the States, only activated for riots.
Guardian
You are good for the extra stem for FC. You are also good for one of our custom flowers. Zaplady just told me.
Speaking of Zaplady, here is her new SSSRockZap. Supposed to be Queens wood but we cannot find anything on it. I'll get the contrast view up tomorrow. Lighter on the back side. Looks like Idaho on the front.
We are showing this because our trim washers for the current install method on the RockZap came in today(samples). The top view shows the washer, installed on a pre-heated RockZap. I tweaked it getting it in and had to get in it tighter than a good install. It has a ding or two and is not flat on one edge(lower).
The beauty of this washer is that it fits perfectly with no resistance in a freshly drilled hole in wood that has not been heated. As soon as the Zap heat is turned on, forget trying to get the washer out as the diameter of the hole shrinks slightly with the first heat. It stays in place and as you can see, totally covers the top of the concrete cup. The pic below is not good but you get the drift. Stainless all the way out to the wood. Concrete cup totally enclosed and totally out of the vapor airflow and view.
I guarantee our production units, IF we use this install, will have a sweet shiny SS ring covering the concrete that fits perfectly(almost) and blends nicely with the solid SS heatport. We are exploring another install that gives the same appearance as a standard Zap on top but no decisions yet.
Zapladys latest(she always gets first pick)
SSSRockZaptoptrim001.jpg

Yes, my sweet love of 47+ years does have very nice breasts still so this Zap is a nice match. I am back there digging them. She likes Idaho though.
Top view showing trim ring, installed as only Ricky can do in a hurry and after much Gin. Plus a not so good pic.
SSSRockZaptoptrim005.jpg

Rick,

Nycdeisel

Looks good Rick! :tup:

ladies choice too! ;) that one looks very purdy Rick+zaplady, enjoy it!

I like how open the top looks in that picture, Rockzap is a really cool concept! Things are really progressing fast in Zapland I see! :)

Keep up the good work! cant wait for my new SSSzap(I got your email btw ;))

Nycdeisel,

the ob

all good in the hood.
I love the ring that covers the concrete. That was my one and only issue. I like a cleaner aesthetic and this ring provides that.

Excellent work as always. I cannot believe how far you have come in such a short time. Must be very exciting for you. It is good to reinvigorate yourself when you run your own deal. Keeps you excited and fresh.

the ob,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Very pretty Zap Rick. Looks like the washer works well. Thanks for mentioning the TT when discussing log vapes. I was beginning to feel like Ron Paul. lol.

There is a concrete that is super insulating. It is called autoclaved aerated concrete. It is so full of air that it actually floats on water. It can be easily machined into about any shape. It has been used in Europe for many years. Not really something you can just make at home though. It would definitely be impervious to continuous heat as there is no water in the concrete. It has all been baked away in the production process.
Autoclaved aerated concrete

Calcium silicate is another option. It is used for high temperature pipe insulation. It is very rigid and can be easily machined into about any shape. They even make a calcium silicate high temperature cement (Calcoat) that is reinforced with mineral fibers to prevent cracking. It might be just the ticket.
Calcium Silicate

Best of luck to you. Hope you can find a material / process that works best for you.

Alan,

psyshaman

Vapor Viking
Of course she gets first pick! A beautiful Zap for a wonderful woman is very fitting :)

The washer covering the concrete really does finish it off perfectly Rick. You would never know there was a concrete insulator in there!

Rocking my walnut brass Zap with my new bubbler before his rocking little brother takes all the lime light
C782B761-orig.jpg

psyshaman,

nr-cole

With my newest vape being an old-school brass Walnut Zap, I thought I'd weigh in on the RockZap for a minute.

To me, and this is definitely a personal opinion (or maybe even an emotion, given that it's not entirely rational), there is something inherently special about the wood being the insulator for the heating element. Everything used in the construction of the classic Zaps (and PDs, WDZs, and TTs for that matter) is an essential part of the vaporizer's functionality. There is just something appealing, to me at least, about that concept.

With the concrete sleeve around the Zap's heating element, the wood is no longer an essential part of the vaporizer. It becomes a non-essential element that is only there for looks, whereas before it was an integral part of the system. Yes, it moves the design forward. Yes, it standardizes temperature and allows for the use of soft woods, and yes it is most likely the technically superior design.

From an emotional standpoint, I think I'll always prefer the classic design for that reason. I'll readily admit it's not rational, just my :2c:

nr-cole,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I understand fully.
I would not sell either of my Zaps, even with the RockZap in hand!
Even with the AZSSS that will be with me in short order...
My brass Zaps ain't goin' noplace!!
:cool:

Vitolo,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I'm going to need to stay with just wood and stainless for the TT. Otherwise it wouldn't make a great heat massage / hand warmer. The TT has been doing wonders for hand cramps.

Alan,

kewpcer

My Walnut BZap is getting paired with the hotter transformer for nightstand duty. The new Rocky will be in the living room/desk.

A zap unplugged is an unsolved equation.

kewpcer,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
kewpcer,you probably know this already, but just in case you don't, if that "hotter" transformer is more than 12v, you need to switch back to the regular 12v during the time you are not using your Zap.

momofthegoons,

al bundy

Vaporist
dont know how its installed but maybe put the liner and heater through the bottom?
if you let the Rock Zap cool will the ring loosen up?
Looks real pretty. :cool:

al bundy,

kewpcer

Thanks for the concern mom, but I keep up a small fleet of junky electric guitars (and one good one!), so a little zapp-a-rattle doesn't scare me. Pull the ring out, tap in a maple shim, trim it flush, ring back in. I probably won't even unplug it.

If it happens at all. From what I hear they only rattle if you unplug them, but I may have missed a tale or two.

kewpcer,

Rick

Zapman
al bundy
We are exploring installing the concrete lined heatport assembly from the bottom. That installation technique could happen in the near future but for now we will have 'RockZap1" which is the method you see in Zapladys newest, post 4961. The SS trim washer does finish the top out nicely and we will ensure the washer will stay in place with our install.

Production was again slowed yesterday. A trip to drop off some parts turned into my first introduction and lesson on REALLY using a lathe as it should be used. I also got a stern lecture from a very successful businessman that it is time to take Aromazap to another level. I have done well to have kept it going for ten years but now I had better crawl out of the stone age as far as my construction techniques and what I offer our customers. All boring on the lathe to start(required for a good bottom install of the RockZap heatport assembly). Then some radically different designs, all wood for sure. I got home and finished up most of my Friday work load. I also felt like I was in the stone ages.
Our heatport design is there and all that is left on RockZap1 is curing out and pouring more cups and a little more air in the concrete mix for what is called "lightweight concrete" which insulates better than regular concrete. I anticipate the first RockZaps out later this coming week when all my parts are in.
What will change in the future, planned for early/mid fall, is our construction techniques and wood art. We will always offer the standard log vape with the standard SSS in wood install as our basic product. Even that will be built better with all boring done on the lathe. There will be some new Zaps coming out, top shelf stuff. Possibilities are endless when you have a mentor that uses his shop to show you ideas. We looked at perfect circle insulating tiles that will fit our application yesterday. They were cut with a water jet from twenty cent floor tiles. I looked at rocks cut with water. A six inch cut...........in rock it will drift after about three inches...........wow!
We are stabilizing for now with our standard install of the SSS in some very nice wood and our first install of the RockZap, with an expected release officially late next week.
The future for AZ will be even more exiting than the last month by a bunch. I will be listening to a very wise man who is very willing to help me change and grow.
The first step is a new lathe. That is why this will take some time for the real changes. I have to get the correct tool and learn to use it correctly and to its full capacity.
All of the above does not even consider the different wood species that will be available for our use.
kewpcer.......A beautiful piece of wood! Feels nice and dry too judging by the weight of the two Zap block. Got here last night.
edit for:
Holy Cows! Even started our 200th page with this post!
ALL of this stuff that is happening was not planned. It came as a fork in the road I decided to follow, then another fork off this way and that. Then a great big light that is hard for me to see because of the salt water in my eyes and my overwhelming thankfulness.

Rick,

the ob

all good in the hood.
all I can say is that this is all good stuff!

I am very pleased at the success you are having and the future of the zap.

the ob,
Top Bottom