Aromazap/Myrtlezap/CeramicRockZap

kewpcer

Ours should be given special numbers, like R1, R2, R3, etc as Historic Les Paul guitars are, hehe. Just a little stamp by the plug, hehe. Since we're the guinea pigs on this round. Well, Mom's is R1, I guess.

kewpcer,

SleepyHead

So are these new sss zaps available to purchase? Are they what Rick supplies now?

Also, I saw some groovy lookin zaps on one of the pages, with nice cuts and rivets in it. Whats the didlio with those? Thanks!

SleepyHead,
those are rockzaps. A process or evolution if you will that we are all watching eagerly. Since it uses a cement insulator the exterior wood can be much smaller and crafted into different shapes; also all vapes will have similar consistencies in temp regardless of the exterior (~365oF imo). Other then that you know just as much as us. . . until some of us get the first runs this Saturday (fingers crossed). In terms of that sexy rivet lathed unit, I think it was just a couple of practice runs that Rick made to show us just how far these potentially could get over the course of the next year. Plus not to mention he'll be keeping those :tup: Right now you know just about as much as the rest of us. :lol:

biojuggernaut,

SirElton

Vitolo said:
@SirElton- this could be an over studious eye just now noticing this grain. Having seen herev in the thread, your meticulous eye, and attention to detail.. I think that you are becoming intimately familiar with every pore of this unit.
On my Zaps, where the knots start and grains change.. there are variations in whether I can detect that fine line or not as a crack...
I don't perceive these as actual cracks, but natural layerings in the wood.
Waxing it sure as heck wont hurt!

I can't qualify them as "cracks" either because they are very small and I'm assuming very shallow as well, but they are not something I just didn't notice before. The front of my Zap was smooth and now my fingernails can catch on the crevices. As I said, I'm sure its nothing to be concerned with; I was just wondering if other people have experienced the same thing in such a short amount of time.

SirElton,

kewpcer

I'd keep an eye on it without obsessing. The unit is finishing it's final drying, so it might impart some "character" to the surface of the wood. The eye in my walnut zap has a crack with a hole right into it.

Pupil? Defect?

My nose isn't straight at all :(

kewpcer,

kewpcer

It's really pretty bad Vito, and I don't remember ever breaking it. Maybe once when pops nailed me with a baseball. I was about 7... 8?

Anyway, thanks buddy. It's nice that you understand.

:p

In other news... A 31 year old man, and the hair in his shower drain...

kewpcer,

SleepyHead

biojuggernaut said:
those are rockzaps. A process or evolution if you will that we are all watching eagerly. Since it uses a cement insulator the exterior wood can be much smaller and crafted into different shapes; also all vapes will have similar consistencies in temp regardless of the exterior (~365oF imo). Other then that you know just as much as us. . . until some of us get the first runs this Saturday (fingers crossed). In terms of that sexy rivet lathed unit, I think it was just a couple of practice runs that Rick made to show us just how far these potentially could get over the course of the next year. Plus not to mention he'll be keeping those :tup: Right now you know just about as much as the rest of us. :lol:

Thank you for that :)
I already own a zap but its almost time for this one to move on, and plan on buying another. But now I may wait for these rockzaps, depending on how soon they come out.

SleepyHead,

steiner666

Serial vapist
biojuggernaut said:
those are rockzaps. A process or evolution if you will that we are all watching eagerly. Since it uses a cement insulator the exterior wood can be much smaller and crafted into different shapes; also all vapes will have similar consistencies in temp regardless of the exterior (~365oF imo). ...

if they run as hot as the rock-less SSS (which i'm guessing they will, or possibly hotter in theory, with even better insulation) then i can tell you now that i'm fairly sure they're a tad bit hotter than 365F. i'm sure there will even be a slight variance with the rockzaps temp from unit to unit, but I'd expect the average to be more like 375-380F, just judging by the abv my SSS spits out and how fast and thick the hits come out compared to my wdz, which would take much longer to get more, thinner hits out of the same amount. thats why i mentioned that some lower-temp ppl might want to look into a variable, or at least slightly lower voltage (11.5v?) transformer if they get a zap with a SSS core.

I think the temps perfect as it is though, and you can stop after a couple (thick) hits if you dont want to get all the higher temp, harsher/dryer tasting sort of vapor.

steiner666,
Thats when Its time to pull out that illy coil, with that glass on glass adapter I bought from Alan over in Toasty Town. The rockzap suspense is unfathomable, I am literally counting the seconds; as well as trying to margin my last reserve of my blackmarket headstash =/. Log vapes are constantly getting warmer and warmer

biojuggernaut,

Rick

Zapman
turtles, we appreciate the order. The earliest we can ship your order is late next week so hang on a bit.
I just tested 5 RockZaps, on since yesterday afternoon. Two of the 7 are going down under for a special deal to an old customer. They should ship tomorrow if we can stay on schedule.

Steiner is correct in that even with the concrete insulator there can be a slight variation in vape air temperature depending on the wood used. We are still experimenting with lighter concrete mixtures containing more air to determine if they will even run hotter. So nothing is 'final' here yet.
Just got the Zaplady report....."good vapor from all of them" which matches my early morning test an hour or so ago. There are two, maybe three that are extra special in that the wood I used is very low density stuff. They do seem to run a bit warmer but we are also discovering it takes longer for these RockZaps to stabilize in temperature. The process of getting the rock hot, then the surrounding wood just takes longer than the traditional heatport in wood install. It does make sense that the lower density woods will stabilize in temp faster than a dense wood.

One of you who went with 'Ricks Choice' got another "Queens wood", the same stuff Zapladys latest is made from.(post 4961). That name was written on the wood but we can find no reference to it so who knows? The rest are all Myrtles. There is one going that is absolutely beyond a doubt the trippiest of about anything I have ever done.(absolutely.....about....? whaaaat?). Very nice and going to a long time FC member with lots of patience. I hope he can get enough light in his den to get a picture when it arrives.
We are not showing any pic now as I want to keep the suspense going and I want each person who gets one to have the first shot at showing off the wood, if they choose.
They will ship today and should make Saturday. I want to say at this time these RockZaps have a special warranty too. I will trade them out for the bottom install version with the added ceramic insulators(post 4983) if anyone chooses to do so at any time. These 7 also do not have the closed bottom SS sealing washer. In fact, they are the last of the first run of 50 or so SSS heatports. All orders shipped from next week on will have the totally SS enclosed vape air path.
I can feel the anticipation from all. Remember, this is just a log vape so keep the expectations realistic.
kewpcer, you are right. I can be a bastard at times but a fun one. Your RockZap will be a nice treat as it is one of the less dense units which are all special. I have not turned the other two chunks from that stick. Frankly, I did not want to make a stemholder out of it unless I have to. Besides, you or a friend may decide you want another Zap from that stick. You have first choice on block #2 and I get #3.
For clarification, all Zaps are SSS now. Even two from Texas just shipped who requested "traditional brass" if you can believe it. Hope I don't get in trouble for that.
Also, for clarification, I will not offer Rockzaps until we get some feedback from customers. The top install looks cool in a way but is not as 'Excellent' as our coming bottom install will be.
SirElton, those are tiny surface cracks that will appear after time in some wood, very rarely. Pick up some 400 grit sandpaper and sand them down a bit, then re polish. Also remember, if you are not happy with your Zap, we will replace it with another if you desire.

Rick,
Wow, so curious as to what I got. It seems I'll also be buying a bottom feed unit with in the next couple of months. I will never get rid of my super 7 beta!

biojuggernaut,

RumbleShorts

Rick,
Before you ship you need to take a family photo of the RockZapSSS Top 7 Series. At the very least for your own collection & prosperity.
I almost wish you would post a few pics of the seven just to keep the thread lively with speculation over the next few days...

I'm beside myself with anticipation, Saturday can't get here soon enough!

RumbleShorts,

aero18

vaporist
frisbee9of1.jpg

My old MyrtleZap, less than two years old, is no longer working. :/ The weld joining the inner brass tube to the heater unit broke. The heater doesn't warm up anymore and the light won't turn on. This will be a sad day indeed.

At least my new SSS MZ is still operational!

aero18,

aero18

vaporist
I was vaping it with a buddy and towards the end of the night, as he kept passing it to me, it progressively got worse and worse. First the weld broke, and he was asking me if it was normal for it to rattle so much. It had been rattling a lot, so I said that it was normal. After a few more hits, and me inspecting it, I knew it was broken. You could still vape out of it but you had to turn it upside down so that the inner tube would fall back out. After giving it back to my buddy to vape for a while, the light died out and it could no longer heat up.

aero18,

Rick

Zapman
lwein, that does happen on very rare occasion. It is the SOLDER that breaks, not a weld. Brass can only be soldered or brazed, not welded.
This is another example of why our new SSS heatports are a cut above. They will never break in any way and will be around forever. No rust ever. Solid Stainless Steel core and professionally welded to the liner and bottom SS air chamber sealing washer, then electro polished professionally.
Tell you what aero, hows about sending it back for me to play with? There is a possibility I can rework the old bodies by doing a bottom install of the RockZap. Bore all the old charred wood out. From the looks of the top hole it may be possible as it is in good shape. Now wouldn't that be neat, if we could refurbish old Zaps with a new insulated SSS version? No promises other than we will give it a good try. The new lathe and chucks will allow us to work an already drilled piece. if a rebuild does not work, you will get a new one.
In any case aero, I would have had you ship it back for a new brass heatport install if we were still into them. Our one year guarantee is for the public. Our customers get more, always. Besides it is just another opportunity to make it better for you when something goes wrong. Another business principle we try to follow. When we fuck up, always try to make it better than it was.
We have fixed/replaced Zaps with that same problem well past two years BTW. They broke and were working fine before that. Simple.

Rick,

Nycdeisel

Wow! Lots of more good stuff in this thread! I just love lurking and reading as Zap progresses.
Being able to take old Zaps and get the bottom install of the SSS/rock would be fantastic! if you thought there might be a good outcome I might be willing to subject my brass zap to experimentation(I would like if another tried this first though ;)).

I feel bad that I missed the washer that seals the whole chamber. so its still not 100%separated from the wood :/

Too excited to open my zap at home! only a couple weeks :p

Nycdeisel,

Vitolo

Vaporist
You all were warned that I have no camera.. and I get all my shots from my iMac.
I used a little freeby digi camera to grab this shot, so please forgive the photography.. but you will get the idea!
The Zap show is about to begin.. I have friends on their way to see my collection.
I wanted you to see the setup despite the poor image quality.
You see left to right Sycamore, Walnut, figured Walnut, Well Aged Myrtlem (an SSS Zap!), and Curly blonde Myrtle.
All are plugged in and ready to go!
(to be fair and totally honest... the figured Walnut in the back is my Second Life Zap, Ravin'... who does get used, but is not consitant enough to participate in the show other than for beauty, and diversity, and aroma diffusion!)
dclMF3.jpg

Vitolo,
Top Bottom