Arizer Solo

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Any 0.5 inch SS screens will do .
You can always trim bigger screens down to size to fit them in .
The ' finer ' the screen , the more restrictive air flow you'll experience . imo
Here's one link .
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MNBRTE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Hey ataxian ,
I got the PVHES straight stem and PVHES Gong adapter .
I did the ' side by side ' test between the stock stem and the PVHES , with the Omicron tips .
The PVHES stem wins , hands down . You can def. notice an improved air flow over the stock
stem . I will be ordering more , for sure .
Hey poonman:
I use the :
1/2" screen FLOWER 1/2" screen (mOsh's recommendation) Works well for me.
As far as the PVHES:
Let me know after a few sessions the difference verses the Stock one.
I use the stock stems because their easy to obtain.

ataxian,

poonman

[/quote]As far as the PVHES:
Let me know after a few sessions the difference verses the Stock one.
I use the stock stems because their easy to obtain.[/quote]

Your pic is out of focus .
but it looks like the one I got with the PVHES .

Yes , Get the PVHES stems .
I highly recommend it .
I find myself gravitating to the new PVHES stem every time . ( refilling it )
I haven't really use the stock ones except for the side by side test .
I will be ordering more .

poonman,
Hi, so which are the best screens for the solo gonna use it with the stock stem and 14mm GonG

Did some research, brass seems to be not so good, stainless steel screens and dome screens are better.

So what do you guys use most and what's better?

I use 14.8mm screens from a pack I got awhile ago from 7th Floor. This will give you a dome as you have to slightly bend the screen for it to fit. Takes about 30 seconds to do. These screens are also finer that the screen that comes stock on the PVHEGonG and the PVHEStems. IME, the stock screens allowed a little bit of plant matter to get into my mouth. YMMV.

slowandsteady,

poonman

You can also use the NO2 ' top hat ' Fine screens .
They're more expensive , but the top hat shape is like a dome .
And it helps you conserve herbs , reducing the size of the bowl .

The flat screens , allows more herbs to fit in the stem .
I always pack mine for bigger vapor clouds . ime
So I may switch back to the NO2 screens , soon .

poonman,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Your pic is out of focus .
/quote]
GOD's GIFT is way too strong.
I need a better camera (IPHONE is what I use))
My old Cannon G9 12 Pix vs IPHONE 8 Pix takes better close ups.
Need cable for PC connection.
Or maybe weaker flowers?

ataxian,
Reactions: poonman

OF

I need a better camera (IPHONE is what I use))
Or maybe weaker flowers?

Maybe just keeping your camera and flowers in different pockets would help? Works for me anyway.

I think part of the overall solution is to have a separate camera. The IPhone is no doubt thinking 'I'm such a great cell phone, focus doesn't matter....'. They can be pretty arrogant you know, which is why I keep mine locked in the glove box in the car. Let 'em out, and trouble is sure to come of it.

My camera knows better than to pull that BS on me, stop taking the kind of photos I want easily and the way I want them and it's forced early retirement time....

OF

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Maybe just keeping your camera and flowers in different pockets would help? Works for me anyway.

I think part of the overall solution is to have a separate camera. The IPhone is no doubt thinking 'I'm such a great cell phone, focus doesn't matter....'. They can be pretty arrogant you know, which is why I keep mine locked in the glove box in the car. Let 'em out, and trouble is sure to come of it.

My camera knows better than to pull that BS on me, stop taking the kind of photos I want easily and the way I want them and it's forced early retirement time....

OF
Words of Wisdom!

ataxian,
Reactions: OF

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Poon OF said it was nice outside and he was going in the garden to feed the birds so that is where that comment came from. Also why didn't you all come into chat we had a blast.

As far as stem, my thoughts are the stock are easier to fill as they don't have those grooves for the herb to fall out of. I always fight with the pvhes stem and always have herb dust on my bed what a waste. The carpet gets high daily. With the tips the pvhes gives a bit to much air flow for me although I do use it when my screen is really clogged like yesterday and I am to lazy to pull the screen out to clean it. I ended up having to do it anyhow cause it was so bad. The tips are great to save money and make a cheap air improvement upgrade.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Just received from PV the PVHEGonG Female 18MM w/o-ring attached, and also the PVHES Bent Turbo. Instructions were included for o-ring installation (which I do not agree with on method), it states: "Just remove the top screw on cap from the Solo, center the O-ring over the heater port and screw the Solo top cap back on while keeping the O-ring centered. Do not over tighten." The fact is, if you attempt this method, you will likely not be able (as I was not) to center the O-ring because as you turn/tighten the cap, the O-ring will shift around. BUT...if you 1) put the stem through the removed cap, and 2) install the O-ring onto to the stem bowl end, then 3) install the stem bowl all the way into the heater bowl, then 4) screw on the cap...the O-ring will be in place AND stay in place when the stem is removed for refill or replacement. The O-ring holds the stems/adapters VERY firmly in place and eliminates any air intrusion (which IMO defeats the extra air features of the PVHES & Turbo design).
My impression of the draw for the PVHES Bent Turbo w/out O-ring is good: The draw is much smoother and more comfortable than the OEM stem (but NOT w/the O-ring in place). The PVHEGonG allows for smooth albeit slow draw with bubbler (but NOT as good w/O-ring in place). I would liken the draw of the bent turbo w/out O-ring with my Ed's wood stem (my fav), and that's good enough for me. If tight fit is your aim, use the O-ring...But, there is a price to pay...ease of draw!

Snappo,

samirfuzzywuzzy

Yep, looks good to me. Good price for one too, IMO. Good find.

OF

i noticed that buying 25 ( the minimum) and 100 end up both costing 8 dollars due to the price difference.

after shipping its $20.28 for 101 rings (i just ordered them)

So i will end up with 101 rings much of which I would be willing to send to any one (at cost) who PM's me for them.

OF

Poon OF said it was nice outside and he was going in the garden to feed the birds so that is where that comment came from.

Yup, guilty. Then again, I'm feeding songbirds, not winged rats. We're far enough out of town so all we get are the occasional Doves (mostly Collared Doves). Lots of Crows and a few Ravens, too. Fun stuff.

In a fun drug related story many years ago I worked in the center of a big city, lots of pigeon problems. One day there was an abatement truck in front and a guy spreading poison bait on the roof (dyed purple IIRC?). Another young fool and I went up to ask him 'what do you do with all the dead pigeons?'. It's not poison it seems by a hallucinate. They get stoned and fly for hours and hours and never come back. Explains a lot. We came up with the theory they were his flock of addicted birds, following his truck from customer to customer.....

The fact is, if you attempt this method, you will likely not be able (as I was not) to center the O-ring because as you turn/tighten the cap, the O-ring will shift around. BUT...if you 1) put the stem through the removed cap, and 2) install the O-ring onto to the stem bowl end, then 3) install the stem bowl all the way into the heater bowl, then 4) screw on the cap...the O-ring will be in place AND stay in place when the stem is removed for refill or replacement. The O-ring holds the stems/adapters VERY firmly in place and eliminates any air intrusion (which IMO defeats the extra air features of the PVHES & Turbo design).

They left out the 'use your finger to keep it centered' part.....best done when the unit is cold. I find they move around some anyway with insertions, loosening the cap a turn or two and snugging it back down fixes this, but if you look before you insert the stem often the ring is off center a bit from last time.

I found that while it's true the PVHES stems get sealed better by the ring, it doesn't fully defeat them. The grooves still function as intended, try covering the top of the stem above the ring with a layer of tape blocking the grooves and you'll see the difference.

It's also not a given that the ring has to block the air just to hold the stem. If you poke back you'll find me discussion notching the ring ID for this reason. I've done 3 and 4 notches, 4 worked better as with 3 Murphy would line them up to the grooves too often. My latest version has four notches on the bottom of the ring, so the grip doesn't suffer like when on the ID, but air gets in just fine.

Fun machine, lots to play with.

i noticed that buying 25 ( the minimum) and 100 end up both costing 8 dollars due to the price difference.

after shipping its $20.28 for 101 rings (i just ordered them)

So i will end up with 101 rings much of which I would be willing to send to any one (at cost) who PM's me for them.

That's what I found too. IIRC I paid about that from McMaster Carr.....and gave out the extras to a couple dozen members in my own little 4/20 celebration. I ended up splitting another bag when I used up/lost the ones I had saved with my endless tinkering with stuff that already works pretty darn good. So the friend who's little bag of 4 I was holding for him got sacraficed to the experiment god next. So he and I split another bag..... He bought 'em, my half was ten bucks. Funny how that works out sometimes?

When you get right down to it, I guess there's not all that much material involved, most of the cost must be in handling? And lower volume, of course.

OF

OF,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
We didn't have pigeons/rats with wings either cause I am far out of town as well. Some jackass I heard had a coop and he died and then I guess some eventually made there way here from town. There aren't a lot like 5 or so but enough to annoy me and the birds. I wish I can get rid of them so I can put the food out. My other birds still come but it makes me sad not to feed them. Like a white wing dove sing a song...

I use the rings and wouldn't want to notch as the airflow is sufficient. Just like I don't prefer the tip on the hes stem...gives to much airflow to my liking.

Dreamerr,

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Yup, guilty. Then again, I'm feeding songbirds, not winged rats. We're far enough out of town so all we get are the occasional Doves (mostly Collared Doves). Lots of Crows and a few Ravens, too. Fun stuff.

In a fun drug related story many years ago I worked in the center of a big city, lots of pigeon problems. One day there was an abatement truck in front and a guy spreading poison bait on the roof (dyed purple IIRC?). Another young fool and I went up to ask him 'what do you do with all the dead pigeons?'. It's not poison it seems by a hallucinate. They get stoned and fly for hours and hours and never come back. Explains a lot. We came up with the theory they were his flock of addicted birds, following his truck from customer to customer.....

They left out the 'use your finger to keep it centered' part.....best done when the unit is cold. I find they move around some anyway with insertions, loosening the cap a turn or two and snugging it back down fixes this, but if you look before you insert the stem often the ring is off center a bit from last time.

I found that while it's true the PVHES stems get sealed better by the ring, it doesn't fully defeat them. The grooves still function as intended, try covering the top of the stem above the ring with a layer of tape blocking the grooves and you'll see the difference.

It's also not a given that the ring has to block the air just to hold the stem. If you poke back you'll find me discussion notching the ring ID for this reason. I've done 3 and 4 notches, 4 worked better as with 3 Murphy would line them up to the grooves too often. My latest version has four notches on the bottom of the ring, so the grip doesn't suffer like when on the ID, but air gets in just fine.

Fun machine, lots to play with.

That's what I found too. IIRC I paid about that from McMaster Carr.....and gave out the extras to a couple dozen members in my own little 4/20 celebration. I ended up splitting another bag when I used up/lost the ones I had saved with my endless tinkering with stuff that already works pretty darn good. So the friend who's little bag of 4 I was holding for him got sacraficed to the experiment god next. So he and I split another bag..... He bought 'em, my half was ten bucks. Funny how that works out sometimes?

When you get right down to it, I guess there's not all that much material involved, most of the cost must be in handling? And lower volume, of course.

OF
I tried the small finger to stabilize the O-ring when tightening the cap. More times than not, the O-ring ended up slightly off-center when tight. My method, mentioned above, stays centered 1st time, every time, regardless of stem removal or re-entry. Also, after further testing per your suggestion that the grooves are not impeded in their function by the ring, it just seems to me that any extraneous air that a loose-fitting stem would allow, the ring eliminates in a big way; it appears that a tightened cap makes for a very tight air seal. Am I imagining a difference in draw...I dunno, could be. Can someone else break this down with good science & mechanix? Thanks!

Snappo,

OF

I tried the small finger to stabilize the O-ring when tightening the cap. More times than not, the O-ring ended up slightly off-center when tight.

I can't see your fingers from here, but for me the tip of a handy index finger works better than a pinky. Typically the one holding the cap. The ring doesn't have to be perfectly centered, only enough to get the stem past....which of course aligns it correctly.

"Close enough for jazz" is all I think it needs at installation, but however you get there is fine.

Also, after further testing per your suggestion that the grooves are not impeded in their function by the ring, it just seems to me that any extraneous air that a loose-fitting stem would allow, the ring eliminates in a big way; it appears that a tightened cap makes for a very tight air seal.

Yep, it seals well (it's after all an o-ring seal) which is why I went with notches...... I'm looking for a better grip on the stem, not a tighter seal. As, I think, are most?

The point I was taking issue with was "which IMO defeats the extra air features of the PVHES & Turbo design" which IMO it does not do. The slots and notches still perform as designed. In a way it's like when the factory ring seal is new and as tight as it can be. The ring is intended, I think, to counter that (the factory ring seal) aging in use?

In the end, it's another variable to experiment with. Not for everyone perhaps, but IMO worth a try.

OF

OF,
Top Bottom