Arizer Solo

clouded vision

In very simplified terms and for the purposes of this discussion about the air flow the vapolution is basically a glass test tube with a heater wrapped around it. you put a glass stem inside the test tube and pull air down between the stem and hot test tube then up through the stem. If that is the way the solo is supposed to work though then why put the holes in it in the first place. Also if that was the intended design then I would think every stem and every model would be loose from day one. I do agree that of you have a notched o-ring or no ring there is no way to keep air from rushing in down the sides

OF I do intend to try some of your experiments as soon as I have a chance but try this; unscrew the metal cap turn it over and push down in it to simulate the pressure that the screwed on cap puts on your o-ring then blow through a stock stem. I bet it all comes out through the holes in the metal base plate right below the crucible

clouded vision,

OF

Also if that was the intended design then I would think every stem and every model would be loose from day one. I do agree that of you have a notched o-ring or no ring there is no way to keep air from rushing in down the sides

OF I do intend to try some of your experiments as soon as I have a chance but try this; unscrew the metal cap turn it over and push down in it to simulate the pressure that the screwed on cap puts on your o-ring then blow through a stock stem. I bet it all comes out through the holes in the metal base plate right below the crucible

I'm not making myself clear, sorry. When the seal is new (it's the seal that changes, not the stem) air doesn't come in that way to any great degree, same as when I put a solid ring on top of the stem). However, air still enters the heater assembly, under the cover 'on it's way to the four magic holes'. However, and this is the important part, noting blocks the air from going over the top of the cup and down the gap instead of around the outside and up the holes. This is the reverse path I think gave rise to the incorrect assumptions on the 'blow backwards' test. Look down the opening in the top, you can see a gap above the SS cup? Air goes through there both ways. No seal. The inside of the cup is linked to the outside at the bottom through the holes and top through that gap, air goes both ways no matter and you can't prevent it all you can do is try to balance it somewhat with sizing of passages (restriction).

Once the factory seal opens up it seems most of the air comes in that way (the path through the cover is not as clear I think) which is why the notched ring makes a difference. The PVHES pushes this effect with the grooves. Guys report easier draw after it 'breaks in' some?

With the covers off, gently blowing blows vapor out of the gap as you'd expect?

So I don't think your bet is a good one, I think it will still divide but it's gonna be hard to prove without taking the inner cover off?

Please do try to repeat my experiments, no big rush of course, that that's a good thing IMO. Keeps me honest and it's the way science is supposed to be.

TIA

OF

Hydro-only

I just bought my da buddha for home use and now im looking for a portable vape. I have a mflb and im tired of how long it takes to get where i want to be. I love the fact how safe the da buddha is, I can be assured that their is no toxins in my vapor.

I am very interested in the arizer solo but I am curious about a few things. Is it safe? I read about the beta solos having ceramic flake off. Also, is it a conduction or a convection vaporizer? I thought originally this was a convection vaporizer but im not sure now.

The main reason I vaporize is because its the healthiest/easiest way to get medicated for me. So for me quality is is one the most important aspects along with performance in a vaporizer. I just want to be assured that the solo is safe. With all theses chineses vaporizers being put out im am skeptical of all vaporizers.

clouded vision

I just bought my da buddha for home use and now im looking for a portable vape. I have a mflb and im tired of how long it takes to get where i want to be. I love the fact how safe the da buddha is, I can be assured that their is no toxins in my vapor.

I am very interested in the arizer solo but I am curious about a few things. Is it safe? I read about the beta solos having ceramic flake off. Also, is it a conduction or a convection vaporizer? I thought originally this was a convection vaporizer but im not sure now.

The main reason I vaporize is because its the healthiest/easiest way to get medicated for me. So for me quality is is one the most important aspects along with performance in a vaporizer. I just want to be assured that the solo is safe. With all theses chineses vaporizers being put out im am skeptical of all vaporizers.
yes the solo is safe, the ceramic coating is no longer in the crucible just stainless steel and the flashing ceramic never posed any health issues with just vaporizing. I wouldn't eat ABV out of a chipping bowl but aside from that no issues at all.

edit: it is both a conduction and convection vape and probably falls right in the middle of most portable vapes on the conduction vs convection scale

clouded vision,
Reactions: rcflo

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
More importantly I want to know who owns more vapes OF or Vito hehe? OF I command you to have every vape under the sun. I can't believe you haven't tried them all at this point especially some of the more popular ones. I think Vito has you beat. On a serious note this is a great experiment by you and clouded. At least I can mostly understand this one but am a bit disappointed that it seems like it is now almost a fact that the solo is mostly conduction and not as much to the convection side...oh well since it is a great vape and works well it is about cooking your herb if not careful. It isn't an issue for me anyhow.

Dreamerr,

Hydro-only

Also i know some of you own both the solo and pax, im just curious as which one is your favorite. I do like the stealth of the pax but thats not a deal breaker for the solo. I also think the solo would make a good vape to hook up to a waterpipe.
Since you say its more of a conduction vaporizer, does this mean the material touching the sides of the crucible get darker faster? Is it necessary to stir the material every few hits?

Hydro-only,

clouded vision

Also i know some of you own both the solo and pax, im just curious as which one is your favorite. I do like the stealth of the pax but thats not a deal breaker for the solo. I also think the solo would make a good vape to hook up to a waterpipe.
Since you say its more of a conduction vaporizer, does this mean the material touching the sides of the crucible get darker faster? Is it necessary to stir the material every few hits?
the pax is much more conduction than the solo. I never have to stir my loads and they come out pretty evenly darkened every single time. There is still a decent amount of convection going on when using the solo but it's not a true convection only vape because the crucible does continue to heat the load in between hits.

I do not own a pax but I did extensive research on it and almost bought it before deciding on the solo

clouded vision,
Reactions: bluerap00

Dreamerr

From how I read it the pax is close to almost all conduction and the solo is leaning hard to conduction from as it seems to say in the last few pages. As said must of us consider a lot of the new vapes in the portable market in the middle but I choose to figure our which way the lean and how hard just for the reason of burning herb or having to mix. I haven't had to stir any of my vapes. On the same not though a convection vape like the SSV people choose to stir for more even burning. I do sometimes only because you take it out after use or even in between hits and it is easy no spill stiring unlike the solo which will spill.

clouded vision

it seems to me that most people who are new to vaporizing and start researching portables tend to want the pax at first but if they continue to research a little deeper they ultimately decide there are too many drawbacks with the pax. and end up buying something else. at least that was my experience.
I think that ploom has created a product that looks very easy to use and reminds people of an ipod. This makes it very easy to market and sell people on until they really start researching all the options available.

Dreamerr

BTW for those checking the air path also check it by lifting the stem with an o-ring. I see zero difference with a solid o-ring if I life the stem which would make me think the holes in the crucible have nothing to do with airflow. Just a monkey wrench for you science types.

Dreamerr,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Also i know some of you own both the solo and pax, im just curious as which one is your favorite.
Each has it's Niche....
One is favorite for supermarket, and patty's car....
and one for post office and back yard.....
There is not a favorite task,.... or vape~

Vitolo,
Reactions: OF

rcflo

BTW for those checking the air path also check it by lifting the stem with an o-ring. I see zero difference with a solid o-ring if I life the stem which would make me think the holes in the crucible have nothing to do with airflow. Just a monkey wrench for you science types.

Interesting, because i get the opposite effect. I have an oring in, with the stock stem. if the stem is all the way pushed in (especially if you actually push on it), airflow is somewhat/greatly reduced. if i back the stem out a millimeter, (or as small an increment as i can), airflow is back to hardly any resistance. With my custom blown GonG that has a semi wavy lip (lets some air in, and doesnt make contact with the bottom of the ss bowl all the way around) i dont really tell a difference. Which leads me to think that those 4 holes do have something to do with the airpath. But we are all here to figure this one out, so, on with it.

Lets say the ss bowl had no holes at all, a stock stem with a perfectly flat rim (idealistically) pushed all the way in would create a seal, giving us zero air flow. I think that those holes are only there to prevent that from ever happening, but aren't necessarily the output holes for hot air. I'm starting to realize more and more now that the heat output is obviously coming more from conduction from the walls and just the small/medium? amount of accumulated hot air in the bowl, between and around the walls and ss bowl, around the heater(which would need those little holes for hot air to travel to the bowl area, but that means hot air around wires and electronics... eh i'd rather not), etc. giving a bit of convection (the middle does vape... not only the sides).

There's my theory, sorry for the parentheses, they help in my head :tinfoil: . however, it only addresses why those holes would be there, not if they restrict air flow or not. All i'll say is,

With the stock stem, I can clearly tell the difference between the stem being pushed in all the way and backed out a bit when i use my bubbler. Maybe a little bit in draw restriction, but a lot a bit in vapor production, and i've tested that one a lotttt :freak:

OF

From how I read it the pax is close to almost all conduction and the solo is leaning hard to conduction from as it seems to say in the last few pages.
I'm starting to realize more and more now that the heat output is obviously coming more from conduction from the walls and just the small/medium? amount of accumulated hot air in the bowl, between and around the walls and ss bowl, around the heater(which would need those little holes for hot air to travel to the bowl area, but that means hot air around wires and electronics... eh i'd rather not), etc. giving a bit of convection (the middle does vape... not only the sides).

I too think it's mostly conduction in Solo, much as in Iolite there is some heating of the input air (through almost the same technique when you look at it really), but I think the vast majority of the good work is conduction. Leave it on and your goods get cooked, like conduction vapes. Convection vapes need moving air or the show stops.

I think I may be different than most, however, in that I see it as a good thing. Convection is nice, but it's very expensive power wise, even if you're very careful how you do it. Fine for something with a plug but if you have to tote the batteries around with you the difference can be substantial in run time. Convection just isn't very efficient with power, the whole idea is heating a bunch of air, not directly making vapor.

If you decide you need the clean taste and control of the process that comes with units like T1 and Cera you pay the price for it but get the benefits. Heat management in Solo is a minor issue (and please note the electronics and battery are safely a long long way from the heat in Solo, thee are wires between the assemblies, you can feel the heat the battery and electronics feels 'down low (both are behind the front panel)). However, with Cera it's a very importatnt part of the design and use. A part of the extra heat produced to make convection work ends up where we don't really want it.

So, I think conduction vapes make solid sense in some cases, like Solo. Done well, like Solo, they can work very well with little compromise. Done otherwise, like in Pax, you have bigger trade offs to accept.

I don't think we'd like Solo near as much as a pure convection vape.

OF

clouded vision

Ok so I ended up having some time tonight & I have the answer, or should say OF had the answer all along. I flipped the cap & blew through it & the vapor came out between the o-ring & the factory retaining ring. I was trying to figure out exactly how it worked so I decided to take it apart.
BPu11Q7.jpg

So the air goes in between the retaining ring & the stem then travels outside of the crucible (mostly) then up through the 4 holes in the bottom of the crucible.

BTW if you want to know what the retaining ring looks like, here it is
N0ubOpv.jpg

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I like to think of the solo as being a sort of "convect-duction" vape. There is a big conduction heating effect, but the convection action of it is very significant. I think it might be closer to a 50/50 split of the two types of heating in action with the solo.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I'm sorry I don't know Vapolution.
OF
OF has you know very well I'm a big fan of the SOLO.
However I only have one PLUG-IN vaporizer.
it's a low priced VAPOLUTION.
I am a flavor snob more than a cloud chaser.
Daily driver now since I have my STEALTH MEDICATING AREA complete.
I fire up my SOLO's as well as the VAPOLUTION for flowers.
If you like flavor try one.
Flavor is subjunctive however the SOLO taste the best of portables in my opinion.
There are some other fun gizmos however not practical for most people.

I almost bought a few vaporizers however that would not make fiscal sense.
I was embarrassed on how cheap the VAPOLUTION 2.0 is.
The list of the Vaporizers on members tag line was intimidating at first.
So the VAPOLUTION being so cheap might not appeal to ones ego?

Science has no ego!

OF

OF has you know very well I'm a big fan of the SOLO.
However I only have one PLUG-IN vaporizer.

Science has no ego!

Thanks, I guess? I'm just not sure how all that might help me 'know' the vape in question. OK, you think it's cheap and good...... I agree, it also looks well thought out and made in California. It's just not a portable?

In keeping with the 'stay within your area of experience when commenting or advising' rule I've got no opinion on it that's useful I guess? If I was in the market for a replacement for my HA I'd consider it, but I'm not so I won't probably. Sorry, but even if it weren't a rule, I consider it good policy to not offer opinions that aren't backed up by something solid. Hopefully guys like you that have both can cover that for us?

I agree about science. It also has no gender or race. And little politics and religion. And in the end speaks a near universal language (mathematics, symbols and even Latin being more important than English, German, French, Spanish or whatever), IMO the most universal forum we as a race have? Pretty keen stuff, IMO. What you say and can prove counts way more than who you are, why or how you say it or other lesser important things.

OF

OF

I have both, and am never afraid to offer my opinion (much to the chagrin of most on this forum).....but did I miss the question?

:peace:

It's confusing for sure. "Can't tell your players without a program" land. CV was trying to explain his 'take' on the airflow in Solo to me in terms of Vapolution, saying it was the same but different. Lost me completely since I'd never seen or thought about it.

Now you're at least as confused as I am, offer away, Bro......your fans are waiting to hang on your every word no doubt.....

Or laugh up their sleeves. Or shake their heads in bewilderment.

OF

OF,

olivianewtonjohn

Quick advice needed please. I usually take my vape in a sock and then put it into a water bottle. Today I had two water bottles out and droped the vape into the wrong bottle. FUCK. I opened the bottom cover. What is my best option right now? Put it in rice cup?

EDIT: It turns on but doesnt see the battery. I dried it pretty well but if I turn it on the charge light stays on.

olivianewtonjohn,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
It's confusing for sure. "Can't tell your players without a program" land. CV was trying to explain his 'take' on the airflow in Solo to me in terms of Vapolution, saying it was the same but different. Lost me completely since I'd never seen or thought about it.

Now you're at least as confused as I am, offer away, Bro......your fans are waiting to hang on your every word no doubt.....

Or laugh up their sleeves. Or shake their heads in bewilderment.

OF

It is the same but different. Convection and conduction at play with both models (as is the case with most if not all vapes), but I'd say the ratio is 80% convection : 20% conduction with the Vapo, while the Solo would be 80/20 in the other direction. Think fast moving air vs. slow moving air.

So yeah.... the same but different.

Clear as mud now, no?

:peace:

OF

I'd dry it out well before trying to power it up. Water and electricity don't mix well but water should not be fatal on anything (you wash loaded circuit boards in water typically) but if powered up you can blow components up with errant currents.

OF

olivianewtonjohn

I'd dry it out well before trying to power it up. Water and electricity don't mix well but water should not be fatal on anything (you wash loaded circuit boards in water typically) but if powered up you can blow components up with errant currents.

OF
If I take the top part out (4 screws) can I take it all apart and dry it?

EDIT: I thought it was dried enough but I guess not the idle light kept blinking......I was suppose to go to a friends tonight instead im working on this solo hoping its still alive. Definitely feel like a moron right now.

olivianewtonjohn,

OF

If I take the top part out (4 screws) can I take it all apart and dry it?

I'd pull the cover and the battery I think. Dry them separately before reassembly. You need airflow to evaporate stuff out. Time and warm are your friends. IIRC something like 15 degrees F doubles the vapor pressure of water (evaporation rate) at lower temps.

Good luck, I bet it survives just fine.

OF

Top Bottom