• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Arizer Solo

Qbit

cannabanana
Seek said:
I don't have a Solo, but have read on vaporpedia it's convection. But Solo owners must know better.

Vaporpedia is basically just FC members contributing to a wiki on vaping in general and all the various vapes there are. So the people who write the Solo entry on Vaporpedia are people who post in this thread.

Qbit,

al bundy

Vaporist
Just remove the stem when your not hitting it.OR just finish the bowl ;)

With the no2 i have to dump it if i dont turn it off or the herb will really just dry out even if your not hitting it.
Same with the Solo maybe thats why the 12 minute cycle.

al bundy,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I'm actually pretty sure it's all conduction, no convection. Works pretty well though.

WatTyler: I was planning on doing the same since I already ordered a PS2 adapter before we knew the plug was to large. Did you find the right plug yet? I use to make them myself from a nail, some copper wire and a piece of vinyl from a appropriate sized electrical cable as a boy. Nothing to fancy or solid, but it worked.

Lefthook: I always fill up a stem, insert it in the Solo and then turn it on. As soon as the light hits your preferred setting it's ready for use. I only take out a unfinished stem if I can't finish it and want to save some for later or to flip my bud upside down when I'm vaping ungrounded nugs.

OhTheAgony,

vape4life

Banned for life
I think it's partial convection because there is air moving as well from outside the bowl into it and up. It is definitely partial conduction too because i've lost much herb spacing out and leaving the bowl in there only to return to a powered off Solo and a very brown wasted now ABV lol.

OhTheAgony said:
I'm actually pretty sure it's all conduction, no convection. Works pretty well though.

vape4life,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
The air is moving through the product al right, but I can't see the air being heated enough to do any active vaporization (did I just invent a new word?) with this design. I could be wrong, but therefor my conclusion.

OhTheAgony,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
OhTheAgony said:
WatTyler: I was planning on doing the same since I already ordered a PS2 adapter before we knew the plug was to large. Did you find the right plug yet? I use to make them myself from a nail, some copper wire and a piece of vinyl from a appropriate sized electrical cable as a boy. Nothing to fancy or solid, but it worked.

:o MacGyver. Well I won't be sticking nails in my Solo :lol:

I think it's 4.7mm OD x 1.7mm ID but haven't got it with me to check. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-X-DC-Po...opAccess_RL&hash=item43a974d854#ht_5743wt_862

Could be 4.0mm? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-X-DC-Po...opAccess_RL&hash=item43a974d854#ht_5743wt_862

Type B or C in Radioshack terms http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptaplug#RadioShack_Adaptaplug_conversion_matrix

I think I've got a set of these adapta plugs somewhere with a 500mA variable transformer that was dirt cheap. Maybe cheaper to cut that off than it would be to source the plug on it's own.
350px-Klinken-_und_Hohlstecker.jpg

WatTyler,
The air flow on this thing really needs to be fixed. How are others working the air flow? I mean I can't seem to get nearly any suction at all? I have found that 2 or 3 setting works good because of how slow I have to draw the thing. I think it would work much better if I could draw the hot air more throughally through the thing. Has anyone had a breakthrough with air flow yet?

VapeNStone,

Kelblow

VapeNStone said:
The air flow on this thing really needs to be fixed. How are others working the air flow? I mean I can't seem to get nearly any suction at all? I have found that 2 or 3 setting works good because of how slow I have to draw the thing. I think it would work much better if I could draw the hot air more throughally through the thing. Has anyone had a breakthrough with air flow yet?
Practice!

Kelblow,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
WatTyler said:

I think it's 4.7mm OD x 1.7mm ID but haven't got it with me to check. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-X-DC-Po...opAccess_RL&hash=item43a974d854#ht_5743wt_862

Could be 4.0mm? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-X-DC-Po...opAccess_RL&hash=item43a974d854#ht_5743wt_862

Type B or C in Radioshack terms http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptaplug#RadioShack_Adaptaplug_conversion_matrix

I think I've got a set of these adapta plugs somewhere with a 500mA variable transformer that was dirt cheap. Maybe cheaper to cut that off than it would be to source the plug on it's own.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...tecker.jpg/350px-Klinken-_und_Hohlstecker.jpg

That's ok, you can also use a piece of metal wire if you don't trust them nails :p

You found some nice ones already though, good job.They look exactly the same shape as the one on the Solo charger. I don't have anything to take a proper measurement right now but it looks very very close to an outer diameter of 4mm.

I think I already threw away all my old charger stuff so I'm just gonna pick up a nice new plug when that charger finally gets here from the Orient.

VapeNStone said:

Did you have a good look at the two holes in your glass stem? On the one I slightly modified the holes were partly covered with a thin film of glass so I broke that out. It did cost me some heat retention though. With my current stems I have a hard time sucking out one light when drawing, but my record with my modified one was 3 lights down in one toke without even trying.

It's also possible that you pack your bowl to tight perhaps, do they draw equally heavy when you try an empty stem without inserting it to the Solo?

OhTheAgony,

vape4life

Banned for life
This greatly varies on the stems. The tighter stems allow little airflow but the loose fitting ones are awesome! I have 6 stems and most fit tight, but a couple (my originals) are nice and loose and the airflow is really good, albeit not even close to my eq. I still have no chipping/flaking but I have almost exclusively been using a tighter stem. I wonder if by using the loose ones, and me kinda wiggling/manipulating the bowl while looser, might be causing stress on the ceramic coating. No worries, my present solo continues to shine with no flaking and no smell whatsoever.

I must also mention that I ALWAYS use screens and that will definitely help airflow too. A finer ground and loose fill with a screen and loose fitting stem should give you satisfying airflow for a portable. I find the airflow too restricted for vapor bonging, but that's what the eq is for.

VapeNStone said:

vape4life,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I added the Solo to Vaporpedia based on information both from the manufacturer and this thread. While I'm sure charliedontsurf is right about there being a little conduction occurring, I don't think it is enough to warrant calling the Solo a conduction/convection vaporizer. Sure, the heating chamber gets pretty hot, but glass is a poor conductor of heat. The stem will insulate the load somewhat, so I don't think the sides of the chamber provide much vapour, if any. There is undoubtedly heat rising from the bottom of the chamber and a stem left in place will heat up somewhat and perhaps even release vapour, but this is not the way vaporization is meant to work in the Solo. Almost all (if not all) of the vapour from a Solo hit is from convection, and to qualify it as partly conduction is questionable and potentially confusing.

pakalolo,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I've been using a loose stem for weeks now but still no sign of chipping on mine, so I guess that isn't it. Since mine is keeping up so well I'm more and more convinced that it really is just a certain batch that had the problem like was explained to us by the Arizer folks.

I really like it with a bong, use mine with a 250ml Ehle over 90% of the time. I just noticed you have a Ehle in your sign now btw, Vape4life. Which one did you eventually end up with? Pics are always nice :)

OhTheAgony,

vape4life

Banned for life
Hey dude, yeah I think you might be right, and I hope so because if this thing doesn't chip then i'm not sure there is really any reason to get the SS when it comes out? VERY pleased this thing is still in great shape, then again I don't use it nearly as much as when it was my daily driver.

Actually still in limbo on the ehle... i will be buying one, if not two...that is a fact, but right now the stock is so crappy that I have to wait. Right now i'm thinking i'll go with the 100ml which is a straight neck, and then get a 250ml bent? What do you think? Not interested in the ice notches as I find vapor condenses on the ice too much and the ice melts too quick. Having trouble deciding...not sure if 100ml is enough, but i'm waiting to see how much the vxc hydratubes can hold, then i'll match that. I wish I could remember how much my vhw water tool perk held...doesn't say on the site.

The ehle will be for the eq...i tried the solo with the water tool perk and man, the airflow was a real bummer. Then again i'm more experienced now and use screens so hoping that will make the difference. With your experience i'm guessing you prefer the 250 over the 100 for the solo? I can't remember was it a bent neck?

OhTheAgony said:
I've been using a loose stem for weeks now but still no sign of chipping on mine, so I guess that isn't it. Since mine is keeping up so well I'm more and more convinced that it really is just a certain batch that had the problem like was explained to us by the Arizer folks.

I really like it with a bong, use mine with a 250ml Ehle over 90% of the time. I just noticed you have a Ehle in your sign now btw, Vape4life. Which one did you eventually end up with? Pics are always nice :)

vape4life,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I had a 500ml bend neck but I sold it with my SSV a few weeks ago. I've never tried a 100ml but I want one as well just because I'm curious what it would be like and I'd also like to have a spare/back up piece just in case. The 250ml matches the Solo really nice though. I have a straight one which in my opinion gives you a little more versatility in positions you can use it comfortably (like when laying in bed or hanging on the couch), but the advantages are minor. I agree on the ice notches, they just make it a bitch to clean tbh.

OhTheAgony,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
pakalolo said:
I added the Solo to Vaporpedia based on information both from the manufacturer and this thread. While I'm sure charliedontsurf is right about there being a little conduction occurring, I don't think it is enough to warrant calling the Solo a conduction/convection vaporizer. Sure, the heating chamber gets pretty hot, but glass is a poor conductor of heat. The stem will insulate the load somewhat, so I don't think the sides of the chamber provide much vapour, if any. There is undoubtedly heat rising from the bottom of the chamber and a stem left in place will heat up somewhat and perhaps even release vapour, but this is not the way vaporization is meant to work in the Solo. Almost all (if not all) of the vapour from a Solo hit is from convection, and to qualify it as partly conduction is questionable and potentially confusing.

I have to disagree Pakalo.

I prefer to vape ungrounded nugs of weed in my Solo, but it only works well if the nug actually touches the bottom of the heating chamber. If i use a smaller nug and push it in the stem to deep I get a lot less vapor and it's virtually impossible to get the AVB as dark as it normally gets. This can only lead me to conclude that the Solo is in fact a conduction type vaporizer. If you look at the DBV/SSV for instance -which undoubtedly are convection type vapes-, the air passes a red hot heating element in order to get hot enough in a very short time to get the product up to vaping temps. No way the Solo heating element gets hot enough to do the same, not if the airpath is restricted to the inside of the heating bowl anyway.

OhTheAgony,
OhTheAgony said:
WatTyler said:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...tecker.jpg/350px-Klinken-_und_Hohlstecker.jpg

That's ok, you can also use a piece of metal wire if you don't trust them nails :p

You found some nice ones already though, good job.They look exactly the same shape as the one on the Solo charger. I don't have anything to take a proper measurement right now but it looks very very close to an outer diameter of 4mm.

I think I already threw away all my old charger stuff so I'm just gonna pick up a nice new plug when that charger finally gets here from the Orient.

VapeNStone said:

Did you have a good look at the two holes in your glass stem? On the one I slightly modified the holes were partly covered with a thin film of glass so I broke that out. It did cost me some heat retention though. With my current stems I have a hard time sucking out one light when drawing, but my record with my modified one was 3 lights down in one toke without even trying.

It's also possible that you pack your bowl to tight perhaps, do they draw equally heavy when you try an empty stem without inserting it to the Solo?
See it draws pretty good when I don't have it inserted but no matter if I have my bowl packed or not when inserted it is extremely restrictive.

VapeNStone,

Sinclue

OK disagree with me, I can't force you to be right
dorkus_molorkus said:
Just a quick heads up on the accessories. Had a look in a local electronics store for car adapters & the unit that allows you to plug the solo in & use it off mains power.

Well a car adapter was $9, I was concerned something so cheap could hurt my solo, so I asked about an inverter. The answer was if I was concerned about the unit getting fried in the car, then I should buy an inverter with a pure sine wave. Starting at $200. no thanks

:peace:

I have a pure sine wave inverter that I use to power my DBV or LSV when I go camping (and to charge my Solo). Got it for $60 based on recommendation of Chris at 7th Floor. Its a Wagan EL2200 Elite 180 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter. Available online...not sure if I'm allowed to post a link, but a Google search will turn up plenty of options. I got mine at Amazon with free shipping.
Not exactly whisper quiet, but it also has a USB charging port for my iPod.
Certainly more expensive than the dedicated charger or a Radio Shack version, but it has multiple uses and I don't worry about damaging my toys.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
OhTheAgony said:
pakalolo said:

I have to disagree Pakalo.

I prefer to vape ungrounded nugs of weed in my Solo, but it only works well if the nug actually touches the bottom of the heating chamber. If i use a smaller nug and push it in the stem to deep I get a lot less vapor and it's virtually impossible to get the AVB as dark as it normally gets. This can only lead me to conclude that the Solo is in fact a conduction type vaporizer. If you look at the DBV/SSV for instance -which undoubtedly are convection type vapes-, the air passes a red hot heating element in order to get hot enough in a very short time to get the product up to vaping temps. No way the Solo heating element gets hot enough to do the same, not if the airpath is restricted to the inside of the heating bowl anyway.

That's an interesting point. Since I don't own a Solo I can't really argue one way or the other. I am a bit surprised to hear this but I can't dispute it.

This would be a good time to point out that anyone can register to update Vaporpedia, and that there are discussion pages to deal with issues like this.

pakalolo,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Stop spamming your youtube vids please, Torontovaporizer.

mod note: It would have been much better to report the post, rather than commenting on it, especially since spam gets removed.

OhTheAgony,

lesvape

Queer in a high haze
Did a quick search but nothing really came up. Is VaporKing(fulfilled by amazon or anyone on amazon) a legit retailer, because they are selling it for under 200, but that seems a bit odd? Like is the standard manufactures warranty still working or no?

lesvape,

Vaped Ape

MMJ Therapist specializing in gynecology~wannabe
vape4life said:
This greatly varies on the stems. The tighter stems allow little airflow but the loose fitting ones are awesome! I have 6 stems and most fit tight, but a couple (my originals) are nice and loose and the airflow is really good, albeit not even close to my eq. I still have no chipping/flaking but I have almost exclusively been using a tighter stem. I wonder if by using the loose ones, and me kinda wiggling/manipulating the bowl while looser, might be causing stress on the ceramic coating. No worries, my present solo continues to shine with no flaking and no smell whatsoever.

I must also mention that I ALWAYS use screens and that will definitely help airflow too. A finer ground and loose fill with a screen and loose fitting stem should give you satisfying airflow for a portable. I find the airflow too restricted for vapor bonging, but that's what the eq is for.

VapeNStone said:

I have said it before. The tightness on the stem is determined where the stem goes through the screw on cap not in the chamber. Yes a larger orfice in the cap will allow more jacking of the stem around when drawing and will allow more air to draw under the stem end where it meets the bottom of chamber. If smoking nugs you can raise the stem a bit. If smoking a fine shake the herb will get away if the stem is not mostly seqted.

The flow of air goes in the top vents, across the UNDERSIDE of the cap and down the outside of the tube to the chamber floor. Still not sure how the tiny 4 holes in the floor of chamber come into play. Now if your tube is loose around the stem at the cap it serves as a place where more air can draw from.

Early on in the thread we declared that the air flow is more measured and engineered that one would think. Air moving too FAST or FREELY through the workings will only diminish results as evidenced by GoGlass and his 4 hole custom stem and another who opened up the two existing holes.

For me temp 3-4 and a slow draw works best. A nice slow draw can lock up my brain (one definition of stoned) to the point where I can go into that trance we all like. I too at first wanted to really hit it hard to the point where I would cause myself a mild headache. A clean screen will help as much as anything to improve draw. For those new to the Solo you will just have to experiment. Size of herb cut and even different strains will vape differently too. Remember though it is not a pipe and won't draw like one. Give it time. You will love the positives.

Kind of like fucking. You guys that think brute fucking is the only route to good sex should give the slooow roll a chance. :brow:

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

Vaped Ape

lesvape said:
Did a quick search but nothing really came up. Is VaporKing(fulfilled by amazon or anyone on amazon) a legit retailer, because they are selling it for under 200, but that seems a bit odd? Like is the standard manufactures warranty still working or no?

lesvape,

It's like this. Arizer has been doing a very good job of warranty. On a couple of occasions some have been directed back to the seller and the seller directed them back to the mfg.

With regard to warranty, here is what all new owners should do asap. Copy the serial number down on the box and keep the box for the time being. The serial number will not stand up to the heat and will fade in only a couple of weeks. Also keep proof of purchase.

Puffitup is a fully authorized dealer and a very good one at that. Randy is standup and very charitable too! Get yourself a Puffitup.com coupon and get a discount off the asking price. Recently they have been including grinders etc with the purchase. Go back a couple of pages here on FC and you will read some of the satisfied buyers talking about their extras that came with their Solo from Randy. Don't take a chance on "here today gone tomorrow" sellers on E-bay or Amazon. Plus Arizer has said they are coming with a fully stainless chamber in the Solo any day. I would wait for one of those if you can.

Just my .02 worth.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

Growvaper

Hello,

I just received my solo. I haven't gone through whole thread so sorry if this already came up. The solo is very nice but there is a problem: little pieces of herb in the glass mouth piece after a few bowls. Do you know if there is a screen or something I could add to not have this as I must be inhaling this stuff!!!?
I got it a few days ago and only used the 1st glass piece (the other is still in the pack) but the air flow is normal. If you have any other tips please let me know. Thanks!

Growvaper,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Yeah, many of us use a screen. Just cut a pipe screen to the right size and stick it in the glass bowl. If you make it a little tight it won't fall out when holding the stem upside down.

OhTheAgony,

Vaped Ape

@ growvapor Welcome to the Solo experience.

If you take your screen and mold it over the blunt end of a Bic pen it will dome the screen and it will help keep the screen from bottoming out on the two holes in the stem bowl. I actually have fashioned a ring that sets in the bottom of my Solo stem and this allows a flat screen to be installed, resting on the lip of the ring. With my setup you will lose a tad bit of bowl volume but the trade off is worth it. You will however have to keep the screen clean as it will clog consistent with how fine you cut the herb. You can get 8-10 bowls just by scraping the top surface of the screen for a quick clean with a pick tool but then will have to take out and clean both sides of the screen before reinstalling. Yeah it is pretty much agreed that a screen trimmed to fit tight is the way to go. Practice, develop your technique and enjoy. Also get the other stem out and set it up with a screen and see which one you like as they can differ in how they fit and draw. Then lay one back as they are fragile. Always have one spare on hand.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,
Top Bottom