• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Any knife nuts here at FC?

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
Lots of experience with Pro Tech. I love the company and the people who run the show are top notch. The Don is a sweet looking blade. I was looking for a version with a mirror polished blade and abalone inlays. The Don isn't practical for carry or use unless you want to poke a bunch of holes in someone. It is a nice looking piece to add to a collection. If you want a Pro Tech to carry and use, I would recommend anything in the TR series or Brend series. The TR-3 is my favorite.

Deadshort480,
Reactions: ShipDit
Lots of experience with Pro Tech. I love the company and the people who run the show are top notch. The Don is a sweet looking blade. I was looking for a version with a mirror polished blade and abalone inlays. The Don isn't practical for carry or use unless you want to poke a bunch of holes in someone. It is a nice looking piece to add to a collection. If you want a Pro Tech to carry and use, I would recommend anything in the TR series or Brend series. The TR-3 is my favorite.
Thank you DS, I have heard they are a great company and it's nice to hear from someone with hands on experience.:cheers:
Not planning on carrying it but I've always liked the way they look,kinda like a modern take on the old classic Italian design,know what I mean? I hardly ever buy a knife for it's looks, but it will make a sweet table/conversation piece.
Thanks again man!

ShipDit,

Deadshort480

I absolutely know what you mean. It's the exact reason I was looking for such a showy version. I have a TR-3 with mirrored blade and Abalone inlay. The two would have looked nice next to eachother. That particular Don is Tough to find though. As a side note, the action on the Pro Techs is awesome. They use their own specially made springs that are square instead of round. The blades snap open with some authority. Always good when you want an auto. That soft opening shit is garbage. I want my autos to damn near jump out of my hand.

AdmiralAlpacha

Damnit now you guys have me wanting all kinds of pro-techs! I had somehow glanced completley over them until your good word towards them deadshort. they have some really nice looking knifes! A model or two might bump a few things off my list now...

Anyway I got my swindle and my HTM DDR Madd Maxx 5.5 today, what a great day!

I took some pictures but I can't seem to find my phone cord, so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

However, I really like them both. The Madd Maxx I knew would be very big, and when I pulled it out of the box I pretty much instantly decided it was not going to stay around long. However the more I play with it the faster that is changing. It's a bummer I won't ever actually use it though, I have size small hands so pulling it out in public would look like a broadsword to some. Because of that I was going to throw it up for trade, but I'm thinking it might stay around now, I keep reaching for it over almost all of my knives to play with. It just feels great in the hand.

Besides the size my only other concern with it is it has pretty late lockup. I'm new to titanium framelocks, and I'd guestimate this ones lock up at 60-70%. Should I worried about this wearing down further in the future you think?

Now onto the swindle. The swindle exactly what I had hoped. It's a little heavier than I thought it would be, and I would throw tons of money for one with titanium handles and a premium bladesteel. Other than that it is basically perfect. The IKBS flipper action is incredibly smooth and lightning fast. The force required to move the lockbar over is ideal for me sitting around opening and closing it, my ddr for example requires a bit too much force to open and close indefinitely. The unique pocket clip on it seems to function just fine, I don't really favor it over any other clips, but it does its job and gives it a nice sleek look imo. The knife as a whole is pretty much spot on my ideal EDC size.(possibly too small for some).

I would really recommend the swindle if you like to endlessly play with a knife while you sit around. It is more of a urban/office edc however, I don't see it holding up well to hard outdoor use or anything.

Sorry if this is a bit rambly, I tend to browse FC after medicating :p

Deadshort480

That DDR MAXX is huge. I've picked one up quite a few times thinking I was going to buy it, but I just never do because if the size. I wouldn't worry about the lockup. 60-70% is about ideal to me. I like my lockbar to nest in. The best way I can put it is that Chris Reeve invented the titanium framelock and every CRK I own comes in at about 60% lockup brand new out of the box.

Is the lockbar on that Swindle all Aluminum or is there a steel insert making contact with the tang of the blade.

Deadshort480,

AdmiralAlpacha

In the DDR's defence it pockets really well for how massive it is, and I love how deep the clip is. And great thanks for the reassurance on the lockbar, I like were it is at also, but wasn't sure about wear.

There is no insert on the swindles lock bar. However I believe the scales/lockbar are made of stainless steel of some kind not aluminum.

AdmiralAlpacha,

Deadshort480

That's good to hear. I like an all steel frame. I'll definitely have to look into one.

Deadshort480,

AdmiralAlpacha

Okay picture time

r4DMKlwl.jpg

w6LHfnJl.jpg

BtC7tYzl.jpg

bFxl1Qql.jpg

YHXj5csl.jpg

inHolhql.jpg

AdmiralAlpacha

How do you like the pocket clip on the Swindle?
I'm pretty neutral about it. I like how different it is, and it looks nice both on the knife and in the pocket. I also like not having it press into my hand when I grip the knife like most other knives.

However it does bug me that you have to lift it when inserting into your pocket, because it rests flush with the handle, unlike the ddr for example (and many other knives) that are lifted near the end so that you can just force it onto your pocket.

I've got three words for ya, NICE KNIVES ADMIRAL!! :clap:

Thanks!

BeardedCrow

Oh I can only imagine trying to put a sub $1000 knife on a wet stone....

I was nervous putting the cheaper $200 one on the stones haha

BeardedCrow,

BeardedCrow

There's no hamon on that knife as it's pure steel.

My lesser grade Yanagi has the hamon line as it's clad (harder steel core and softer steel layer).

Anyways, I read fake hamon only occur on china made 'japanese' knives. But I'm not 100% sure on that, I'm not very knowledgable on the subject.

BeardedCrow,
Reactions: t-dub

Deadshort480

With differential heat treating or clay quenching, one can achieve a Hamon on a non clad piece of steel. This is usaually done on swords or for fixed blades made for outdoor use or game hunters. The differential heat treat keeps the edge hard for retention, but keeps the spine softer for flexibility purposes. As BC said, a clad piece of steel there is a soft layer of steel over a harder core. I believe this cladding is also called San Mai.

AdmiralAlpacha

Figured I would share this here since I shared all of my initial impressions.

My first complaint to stem from the swindle is this

gG3RvmA.jpg

When using my sharpmaker I am not able to get very far back on the blade, you can kind of see were the sharpie still is, also to get as far back as I can I accidentally swipe the scales across the stones. This may not be a problem for other stones/systems I'm not sure but it's a bit annoying for me. I don't really mind the scale blemish since I planned to use this one anyway due to its price, but something to note.

Deadshort480

Can you angle the handle downwards and the tip upwards while using the Sharpmaker to avoid hitting the top of the scale?

Deadshort480,

AdmiralAlpacha

Just tried, and yep appears I can.

However it takes more time and attention. I need more practice with this thing :p

AdmiralAlpacha,

BeardedCrow

Oh yeah the heel is hard to sharpen with folders.

My scale often hits the stone too.

Also the thumbstuds makes it difficult to profile wide bevel.

BeardedCrow,
Top Bottom