Any knife nuts here at FC?

YeeeBuddy

Hey all you knife experts i have a question, after reading some of this thread I have been looking at Damascus steel knifes, some of the blade designs are mesmerizing. I see alot of them are quite expensive in the thousands of dollars, then i see so called "damascus" blades on ebay for dirt cheap like 5-20$. I understand alot of the more expensive ones are made by popular knife makers and are on of a kind hence the price tag but are these ebay ones straight fakes? I want to get a damascus folder but dont really want to drop 1k+ , maybe 100-200 if i can get a decent one for that price, i don't care about the maker just don't want it to be a POS. Can someone school me on this beautiful steel, Thanks in advance.

YeeeBuddy,
Reactions: ShipDit

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
Don't buy no name Damascus off of EBay. It is real Damascus, but that doesn't mean much. The metals that they use to create that Damascus are usually from melted down scrap. If you are interested in purchasing a Damascus folder that you can actually use then I can help. Kershaw makes a few of their different models in Damascus, but they aren't the easiest to find. The ones on eBay are overpriced, some by a little, some by a lot. There are custom makers that don't charge an arm and a leg, but unfortunately their books are usually filled. My best advice would be to check out AGRussell . com. There are many different Damascus folders available, the prices are usually good, and they stand behind everything they sell so the customer service is top notch. Good luck with your search.

Symbolik

Im not a knife aficionado but I have a Smith and Wesson border control knife that is pretty sick, it retailed for like 60 but there was a sale and I got it for 15 =)

Symbolik,
Im not a knife aficionado but I have a Smith and Wesson border control knife that is pretty sick, it retailed for like 60 but there was a sale and I got it for 15 =)
Anytime you can get a knife you really like for $15,go for it! Stick with it,buy another knife you enjoy. Then another. Just one more....
Welcome to your new addiction! :tup:

BeardedCrow

One of my sharpest folders was $5 and has a spiderman scale if that says anything...

Blade says china 440 but I swear this thing cuts through phonebooks like butter.

I buy cheap knives to practice on the stones, I guess I ger very good edges ecause there is no anxiety of ruining a $5 knife

BeardedCrow,

Deadshort480

Technically all modern Damascus is fake, but stay away from very cheap steel.

There are a few folks out there that say they've "rediscovered" the original method and can replicate it. Everyone else calls bullshit. I guess a Master Smith and metallurgist that had enough time with some examples of original Damascus blades could kind of do a reverse engineering type thing, but no one would ever really know. Once the original method for doing anything is forgotten, it's usually gone for good.

Deadshort480,
There are a few folks out there that say they've "rediscovered" the original method and can replicate it. Everyone else calls bullshit. I guess a Master Smith and metallurgist that had enough time with some examples of original Damascus blades could kind of do a reverse engineering type thing, but no one would ever really know. Once the original method for doing anything is forgotten, it's usually gone for good.
Possibly MORE evidence of Ancient Aliens? :rofl:

ShipDit,

BeardedCrow

Hahaha aliens!

True Damascus is suppose to be as flexible as plastic.

It was said that damascus swords were whipped rather than swung.

BeardedCrow,

Deadshort480

Possibly MORE evidence of Ancient Aliens? :rofl:

If you read up on original Damascus or Wootz steel you will find that the technique of creating it was a pretty well protected secret. The methods they used were lost and even with all the tools available in modern science today, attempts to reproduce the original steel have been unsuccessful. They have found that Impurities were necessary. Some of the carbide structures that were formed in this process have not been able to be reproduced. Metallurgists have found other advanced microstructures within the composition of the original steel such as nanowires. There are theories on how such advanced microstructures were formed, but nothing conclusive. I don't know about aliens, but it is all very interesting and advanced, especially since most experts believe that the first examples of this steel may have been produced as early as 500 B.C.

I think Damascus was layers of steel and iron somehow (hammer welded?) fused together,and that's what created the patterns. But Im probably way off base on that one...
I once new a 'smith who hammer welded cable to form his "Damascus". I was told the cable had steel and (I think) iron strands. Might be cheating a bit but he created some cool patterns with the process.
EDIT
Sorry but I find this kind of stuff fascinating!
Ran across this today,think it's legit?
"(Continued from Page 1)
The word 'nanotechnology' might seem a little odd to be applied to a technology that is clearly several centuries old. After all, a 'nanometer' is something that means one billionth part of meter, something no one could have measured until very recently. But in this sense, nanotechnology refers to the purposeful (and accidental) inclusion of very very tiny amounts of materials to create chemical reactions at the quantum level. Nanotechnology played a role in the mixing of Maya blue, that amazing color in Maya murals from 8th century America. Stained glass windows from the European Renaissance, colored glasses in Bronze Age Egypt, and violins from the 18th century master Stradivari all benefited from the creative use of tiny amounts of inclusions of foreign matter placed into created objects, creating quantum level qualitative changes in the product. Nanotechnology then is alchemy in its most pure form.

And so, nanotechnology--the inclusion of tiny amounts of foreign matter into a smelted iron product--had a crucial role in the construction of the Damascan blade. But... what were those elements and how did they get in there? The secret alchemy of making a Damascan blade was lost by the middle of the 18th century. European blacksmiths before then, and all those who came before the end of the last century who attempted to make their own blades failed to overcome the problems inherent in a high-carbon content, and could not explain how ancient Syrian blacksmiths achieved the filigreed surface and quality of the finished product.
Damascan Steel and Electron Microscopy

What the research team led by Paufler has done has been to use current nanotechnology to examine the microstructure of a Damascan blade using a scanning electron microscope. Investigations have determined that there are two pieces involved to this puzzle: both inclusions into the raw ore itself and the forging process completed in the mideast. Known purposeful additions to Wootz steel include the bark of Cassia auriculata (used in tanning) and the leaves of Calotropis gigantea (a milkweed). Spectroscopy has also identified tiny amounts of vanadium, chromium, manganese, cobalt, and nickel, and some rare elements, traces of which presumably came from the mines in India.

These materials were already in the raw steel, but what Paufler and associates also identified in the steel were quantum level changes made in the metal which must have occurred during manufacture. They postulate that during the smith's cyclic heating and forging processes, the metal developed a microstructure called 'carbide nanotubes', extremely hard tubes of carbon that are expressed on the surface and create the blade's hardness. Thus, by blending the unique characteristics of Wootz steel with a forging process that included tiny amounts of specialized materials, the blacksmiths of the Islamic Civilization were able to create the Damascan steel. What happened in the mid-18th century was that the chemical makeup of the raw material altered--the minute quantities of one or more of the minerals disappeared, perhaps because the particular lode was exhausted. Such a difference would not have been apparent to the blacksmith visually; but, interestingly, the blacksmiths may have extended the life of the process by including small pieces of the previous batch in each new batch.

We modern archaeologists like to say that the elite stuff, the expensive goods that were restricted to the upper classes, really have no interest to us. But cracking the code of how metallurgists made the elite Damascus steel! I vote for that.

YeeeBuddy

So kershaw blades are good quality I found some of those at a reasonable price?

I like this for around 60 bucks as a starter knife to carry around.

yhst-16507483819514_2256_62490184

I saw a zirconia folder the other day i cant seem to find it again that would go great with my Zirconia cera !!.

YeeeBuddy,

Deadshort480

Is it a Scallion or a Chive? The Chive is very, very tiny. The Scallion for around $60 isn't bad.

Deadshort480,

YeeeBuddy

Its the chive, they have the scallion for the same price, I will probably get that since its bigger.

yhst-16507483819514_2255_113291137

Edit: Just ordered this bad boy, 68$ shipped so I'm pretty happy. I like the assisted open and it sounds solid from the reviews I read. I'm stoked I got one after reading around it doesn't look like they are making them anymore and almost all places are out of stock.

YeeeBuddy,

Deadshort480

Yeah, definitely go with the Scallion. I used to have a Damascus Leek, but I sold it in the hopes of buying a black handle Damascus Shallot. It never happened. :(

YeeeBuddy

I originally got a silver handle but really love the black so I had to order one of those as well. It sounds like if kept in good condition these knives hold value pretty well and Kershaw is made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty which is awesome. I'm glad I asked you guys instead of buying some random ebay damascus, I'm always down to pay a little more for quality stuff.

So pretty
$T2eC16hHJGQE9noMcSRJBRLC05OkyQ~~60_57.JPG

Deadshort480

I am also a huge fan of the black handle with the Damascus blade. It is a really pretty blade and extremely useful. Nice scores.

I've had a blue handle Scallion for like 15 years and it is still going strong. You just can't go wrong with Kershaw.

I originally got a silver handle but really love the black so I had to order one of those as well. It sounds like if kept in good condition these knives hold value pretty well and Kershaw is made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty which is awesome. I'm glad I asked you guys instead of buying some random ebay damascus, I'm always down to pay a little more for quality stuff.

So pretty
$T2eC16hHJGQE9noMcSRJBRLC05OkyQ~~60_57.JPG
Beautiful knife man,beautiful! I must have one....NOW! I just gotta lift a credit card from the wife's purse,lock myself in the crapper w/the iPad and in a week or so I'll be an even happier man!
Good find YB, thank you for sharing.

YeeeBuddy

Thanks you werent kidding when you said this will become your new addiction, I'm already scheming to sell my silver handle scallion and get the bigger Leek. I really like the scallion but its a tad bit small, I'm still definitely keeping my black handle scallion but would like something a little larger to carry. Also the more I look into kershaw the more I like them, the fact that i can send in my knife to get a new spring or just sharpening for free for life !!! Even if i break the blade they will replace it for 10$, you rarely see that kind of customer service anymore, so I like to support these companies. I see this guy in my near future :drool:. Any tips on keeping my damascus nice, I read just keep it dry and oil every now and then, anything else? Also www.kershawguy.com has some really good prices on Kershaw knives with free shipping on all orders.

IMG_0586.jpg

Deadshort any complaints about the leek? I really like the size, my only concern would be the blade is pretty thin but I wouldnt be doing anything real extreme so i think it should be fine.

Deadshort480

Love my Leeks. I have a few. They are fantastic knives. The only thing one could complain about is tip fragility, but just don't use it as a screwdriver and you should be good to go.

A few drops of mineral oil every so often on that blade should keep it pristine. Dave Anderson aka Kershawguy is my go to with all things Kershaw. He has great prices and customer service. He's also one of the few dealers that offers Blem models. These are factory seconds that usually have a minor cosmetic flaw. They are sold at a deep discount, but hold no warranty and usually don't come with a box. Kershaw will still send spare parts out for the Blems. You can always spot a Blem by the XXX or XXXX mark on the blade.

AdmiralAlpacha

Thought I would share that I have this on the way
oP2QxRt.jpg

Normally traditional folders aren't on the top of my list. But I couldn't stop thinking about this one after seeing it. I really like how simple and bare it looks.

AdmiralAlpacha

Ebony wood, and the specific pattern is a GEC #15 "Boys Knife".

The Ben Hogan I got not long ago is a little bigger than id like for a traditional edc, so I'm thinking this is going to be just about perfect :)

Good find Admiral! I'm loving the simple,functional lines.
This is almost the definition of "pocket knife". I just hope it's not to spendy for daily use.
Again,good find!

Top Bottom