Any knife nuts here at FC?

Ike

First post, and it has nothing to do with vaporizing. Go figure.

Any love for Zero Tolerance around here?

2012-01-02151943.jpg

2012-01-02151943.jpg
Oh hell yes I got love for ZT knives! DeadShort turned me on to them not very long ago,now I have two that I rotate as my daily carry blades.
Welcome aboard Ike,this is a cool community with lots of varied interests,I'm betting you're gonna like it here!:)

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
Nothing but love for Zero Tolerance. I've got an 0300, 0551, and 0561. I'm still waiting on my 0777 and I'm impatiently waiting for the 0600. Welcome to the forum, buddy. You'll like this place.

AdmiralAlpacha

Good find Admiral! I'm loving the simple,functional lines.
This is almost the definition of "pocket knife". I just hope it's not to spendy for daily use.
Again,good find!

Exactly what I was thinking! It is exactly what comes in my head when I think of the generic term "pocket knife" It was only $66 dollars shipped. Not "cheap" but compared to many of my other knives it is. I think it is going to look excellent with some wear on it.

Welcome, glad you found your way into our little nook of the forum! I love ZT, I'm just recently getting into larger knives so I don't own one yet. A 550 has been on my list for quite some time now. Like deadshort, I'm impatiently waiting for the 0600, I'm pretty certain it will be my first ZT.

YeeeBuddy

I have been carrying the damascus scallion around for almost a week and am really loving it. It came sharp as fuck, and after using it a fair amount mostly to open packages and cut a bunch of those half inch hard plastic bands they put around heavy boxes(I work in the meat dpt) It doesn't seem to have dulled at all , opens with authority and locks really solid. Really nice quality but not too expensive that I'm afraid to use it. Sadly I had to send back the black handle scallion for a replacement because the assisted open didn't work properly, 90% of the time it wouldn't open all the way/lock. So when he gets my scallion In the mail I told kershawguy to contact me so I can order a black handle damascus leek and kershaw sharpening tool and have it all shipped together. Thanks again guys for steering me in the right direction on where to get quality/affordable damascus. Here's my scallion I've been carrying.

scallion.jpg

AdmiralAlpacha

Good to hear you're liking it. It still looks brand new, I've always been interested in how damascus holds up/looks after being used. Also good choice on the leek. The leek has been a crucial part of kershaws line up for a long time now, I'm sure you will like it a lot. You may want to make it clear you want to purchase one and have him set one aside (I see he currently has it in stock) They are limited and can be pretty hard to come by and I would guess his supply is beginning to run low.

I got my boy's knife today (crazy fast, free shipping). I'm very happy with my purchase on this one. Everything I had hoped I would like about it, I do.

I usually steer away from letting people use my knives when the opportunity arises, even when I really want to be helpful and show off my love for knives. Sometimes it is because I fear the knife I have with me is too threatening looking to non knife people, or maybe the locking mechanism is too foreign or complex, or sometimes my knife is just too costly for me to feel comfortable. My new boy's knife seems to be the perfect remedy. Not too costly, traditional styling that everyone is familiar with, and it small and light enough that I can carry another knife in conjunction with it if I wish. This one is going to see ALOT of pocket time.

I'll try to remember to share some pictures tomorrow.

YeeeBuddy

Good to hear you're liking it. It still looks brand new, I've always been interested in how damascus holds up/looks after being used. Also good choice on the leek. The leek has been a crucial part of kershaws line up for a long time now, I'm sure you will like it a lot. You may want to make it clear you want to purchase one and have him set one aside (I see he currently has it in stock) They are limited and can be pretty hard to come by and I would guess his supply is beginning to run low.

Funny you say that I was thinking the same thing and asked him to hold one for me. I checked his ebay account and it says he mas more than 10 available so I think I should be alright, most likely gonna order friday/sat. Yea i really like the size of the leek, the scallion is cool but I have to hold it kind of gingerly when i open it because of its size, hoping the leek is gonna be the perfect size for me. I really love the look of the black handle though, also the flat black pocket clip stands out less compared to the silver.

Deadshort480

I love Mammoth bark. The colors it can attain are really beautiful. Very nice blade Damascus and filework, although I'm not too sure about the anodizing of the file worked parts.. I'm not a huge fan of the bolsters or the gold accents. I really like the Damascus backspacer. Who's work is that? I looks like it may be a Vallotton, but they are usually hidden release autos.

Deadshort480,
I do not know. A friend emailed m the pic. but won't tell me the maker! He's trying to trade for one of my Kiku blades and doesn't want me to know what they cost. Most of my friends are assholes. To my eyes it looks like a Vallotton,but I can't find out for sure.
Could I ask a small favor? I know you frequent the knife forums and if you could identify them for me I'll mail you some Pez...for luck.:)

ShipDit,

Deadshort480

If I could see the maker's mark, it would be much easier to tell. It looks like a single knife, not a set.

I really want to say Rainy Vallotton or Nate Clark, but the button is what is throwing me off. Both makers use round buttons.

Deadshort480,
Reactions: ShipDit

Deadshort480

Man, that's pretty, but something has always scared me about firearm slides made from Damascus. I'm sure they are completely safe, but I'll just stick to machined billet. But, GOD DAMN, that is pretty!

Deadshort480,
Man, that's pretty, but something has always scared me about firearm slides made from Damascus. I'm sure they are completely safe, but I'll just stick to machined billet. But, GOD DAMN, that is pretty!
It's my target gun,(you can tell by the sights). She was built by one of the best 1911 pistol smiths ever,Kim Novak. More than 5,000 full-power rounds and never one jam,not one. That being said I wouldn't use it in a tactical situation. You need to be absolutely 100% certain before you trust a gun to save your life...and I'm not 100%. The 1911 pistol in .45cal is hands down the best combat pistol ever designed,and the only handgun I trust to take into combat,period. But I just don't know enough about the make up pf the bi-metal slide to be sure.
But damn she is purty ain't she?

BeardedCrow

Been busy with work lately.

Also, sharpened at least 5 knives from different friends.

Crkt does not grind correctly, after about doing 3 different ones.

Sebenza is still very sharp, only sharpened twice but still performs great!

Cheap spiderman folder (440 china) is very durable but needs a sharpen almost every use.

Still need motivation to order a $1000 sashimi knife... I don't need it, but it's so gorgeous!!

AdmiralAlpacha

Still need motivation to order a $1000 sashimi knife... I don't need it, but it's so gorgeous!!

Tax return season is motivation for me :p

I'm having a hard time keeping it in my pocket right now.

My two favorite hobbies are colliding vaping and knives.

I've been thinking I need either a "Magical Butter" Machine or a Swamp Rat Ratmandu
Or if I really lose my mind choosing between a Zero Tolerance 0600 and a VapeXhale Cloud

Ohhh the fine balance of making proper decisions and enjoying life :p

Deadshort480

I have a feeling the 0600 is going to take a bit longer. I'd just get the Cloud, man. I've really been trying to be good and telling myself I don't need anything new at all right now, but I ended up splurging on a new piece of glass that probably won't be ready for awhile, as if I need it. I thought my new custom folder would be done by now. I'm kind of glad it's not.

Deadshort480,

BeardedCrow

Yeah the 2 thing I have an addiction with is knives and vape parts.

Considering a Zmax or Gus battery, already got some Pyrex tanks and sticky carts coming.

Funny, I got about 4 coworkers to jump on the vape wagon, half don't even smoke at all, they just like the taste of them.

BeardedCrow,

AdmiralAlpacha

I have a feeling the 0600 is going to take a bit longer. I'd just get the Cloud, man. I've really been trying to be good and telling myself I don't need anything new at all right now, but I ended up splurging on a new piece of glass that probably won't be ready for awhile, as if I need it. I thought my new custom folder would be done by now. I'm kind of glad it's not.
I've been eyeing the cloud for a while now. But I don't really have any complains about my current vape setup. However, all praise it gets around here really has me curious.

But also I am afraid if I don't put the money aside for the 0600 now while I have it, I won't be able to get it when it does come out. And it is limited to 1000 as far as I know, which should sell quick being a limited run zt.

ooo I'm so bad at decisions, but that's part of what makes it fun for me with vapes and knives. I get to read all about it and weigh the pros and cons :p

AdmiralAlpacha,

Deadshort480

I will say this, the Cloud will always be the same price, maybe even cheaper at some point. The ZT0600 will be released at a price point and from there on out, the price on it will only rise. Maybe you're right to just hold onto the 0600 cash?

The Cloud seems like a great unit, I just can't imagine that it is leaps and bounds better than my beloved LSV, which is less than half the price of the Cloud. The Cloud does come with a Hydra Tube, but that is what kept me from purchasing one in the first place. I don't like the HT design as I prefer top loading designs.

Deadshort480,

vaporonly

living in a van down by the river
i'm a big swiss army knife fan, even got into the hobby of taking them apart and rearranging the tool combos. google search SAK modifcations if you want more info.

I think every knife nutt should have one of each of these affordable knives:

-A swiss army knife pioneer or farmer ALOX model
-A swiss army rambler key chain sized knife for toothpick and tweezers
and an Opinel no 8. <---probably my fav knife of all time, there is just something magical to it and it cuts like a laser

vaporonly,

AdmiralAlpacha

The Cloud seems like a great unit, I just can't imagine that it is leaps and bounds better than my beloved LSV, which is less than half the price of the Cloud. The Cloud does come with a Hydra Tube, but that is what kept me from purchasing one in the first place. I don't like the HT design as I prefer top loading designs.

That is how I feel and the only advantages I could see it having over my Underdog with my small tube is that the heat stays consistent for larger group sessions, which would have been great at the beginning of the year, but I'll be moving soon and be back to vaping alone. However I keep reading how versitile it is, suits people who want big hits, but if you turn it down and take small tokes it works like a dream as well. This is what really has me interested.

All this talk has me thinking maybe ill just pick this beauty up off my wishlist:
213.jpg

While I wait to hear more information about the 0600 or my cloud urges to grow stronger :p

i'm a big swiss army knife fan, even got into the hobby of taking them apart and rearranging the tool combos. google search SAK modifcations if you want more info.

I think every knife nutt should have one of each of these affordable knives:

-A swiss army knife pioneer or farmer ALOX model
-A swiss army rambler key chain sized knife for toothpick and tweezers
and an Opinel no 8. <---probably my fav knife of all time, there is just something magical to it and it cuts like a laser

Welcome! Modifying SAKs is pretty interesting as the main reason I don't own any is because they never seem to come in the right combinations for my personal taste. Either that or the ones that come with the tools I want come with a whole lot more that I don't need.

I like the aluminum scaled ones the best like the ALOX.

AdmiralAlpacha,

BeardedCrow

I love Swiss army knives! Glad you reminded me.

Always great in a survival/hiking bag.

BeardedCrow,

YeeeBuddy

HELL YEA just ordered a black handle damascus leek and kershaw ultra tek blade sharpener. Also Dave received and fixed my scallion so its all getting sent out tomorrow, he said after checking out his remaining damascus scallions(2) they had the same problem and thinks kershaw got a bad batch of springs(glad he didnt send me another lemon without checking), i guess after putting a new spring in my scallion is working 100% better. I highly recommend Dave Anderson aka www.kershawguy.com, his prices are the best and customer service is top notch, hes even gonna hook me up with a torx tool for free (only 12-15$ online but still) and only charged me 20 for the sharpener(fools on ebay trying to get 40+ lol). Stuff like this is why he will be getting my future business for sure, Its kind of sad that good customer service stands out so much these days. Just wanted to share as I'm pretty stoked and will def post some pics when it all arrives in a few days. :rockon::rockon:

Deadshort480

Dave is most definitely the man. I've been dealing with him for years and be is always a gentleman and a stand up businessman. Kershaw does a "seconds" sale a couple times a year. You gotta get in touch with him right after that. He always has a ton of different stuff at amazing prices. If there is something particular you want, you can even ask him and he'll do his best to find it.

The first Kershaw I ever had was a little aluminum handled liner lock with a partially serrated blade. This is about 17 years ago. It was lost while I was working, although I think someone stole it. Anyway, fast forward to about 4 months ago when I was on Bladeforums.com and there was a thread asking about knives people wish they could have back. I wrote my little story in the thread and a week later I got a small package in the mail from Dave. In the package was the same exact type of knife I had owned all those years ago. There was also a small note in the package that said, "This one is on me. Enjoy. Dave."

What more can I say about the guy?

Top Bottom