• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Any knife nuts here at FC?

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
One of the best little folders from CRKT that I've ever handled is the Drifter. It's just a simple design that works well and it is very inexpensive. I'm not familiar with the Swindle, I'll have to check it out.

Edit: Wow, I like the look a lot! It's definitely got a Swayback look to it. Kind of a departure from Onion's usual style. Did you go for the smooth or patterned handle? I'm not too sure about that pocket clip, but that's just me. I'll be honest with you, my one major concern is that the specs state an all aluminum handle, including the frame lock. This Al frame lock has been tried before and was an utter failure. The failure actually made way for new modifications because soon after a steel insert was machined into the end of the Al lockbar and it worked fantastically. Please let me know if this has an insert in the lockbar when you receive it. I may have to look into one of these. I love thin flippers and I really love IKBS pivot systems.

Deadshort480,
Reactions: ShipDit

AdmiralAlpacha

It's brand new, just popped up on sites today. Id been looking at it since they announced it. You get the IKBS and a framelock for only 40, plus I think the pocket clip is interesting. The steel supposedly the same thing as 440c.

AdmiralAlpacha,

BeardedCrow

I don't have buyers remorse, it's a nice knife. Just, it costs a bit much.

The finish is quality and blade rotation is superb. It has a satisfying snap when you open it, but crkt has a nice greased click I liked.

Overall I'm happy, cut boxes open like butter! Bought a pet store/apartment Lego set and used the seb to cut open everything.

BeardedCrow,

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
What happened to those pictures? :D I would definitely like more pics in the thread. I'll have to take a few pictures of some of my other knives.

So sorry! :doh: I've been so busy I simply haven't had time. I did a quick (and somewhat shitty) video so y'all can see the automatic action. Here's a quick rundown:

The first one I grab is one of my favorites...it's a Finnish bushcrafting knife handmade by Kellam--the sharpest I own by far. It's freaky sharp with a carbon steel blade.
The second is a Columbia River Knife and Tool folder. It was a gift from an FBI friend of mine, hence the FBI logo, etc... Very special.
The third I pick up is also very special. It's a Paul knife in collaboration with Benchmade. This one is a first production...#354 out of 1,000.
The fourth is an old SOG (almost vintage at roughly 25 years old). It has the rubber gripping and is still very solid.

Now, my two automatics, which also happen to be my two "go-to" pocket knives: The first, my oldest of the two, is my Microtech Mini Socom. It's about 13 years old. I love this blade.

The next auto is a Benchmade Lerch design. Compact, handy, and the knife I carry most often.

Oh yeah, I can't forget one of my guilty pleasures--my Bear Grylls survival knife. Yes, yes. Laugh away. I deserve it. But it's actually quite handy, hence my including it in the video (I have other 'utility' knives I'm not bothering y'all with in this video). The sheath comes with a sharpening stone and a fire starting flint. The handle also acts as a decent hammer. Very handy indeed when backpacking, etc..

Cheers, folks! :tup:

Horkos%20Sharp%20Web_LRG.jpg

Is horkos a reliable brand?

I think this knife is gorgeous and would like to know if it's a gimmick... Not cheap.
I've got a friend at Spartan and he says it's a quality blade.
After months of badgering on my part he has decided to Fuck Combustion and go pro! So I'm trading him straight-up for an HA 2.2 that I picked up in Colodado for $175. So if he should somehow find this thread,please tell him that Vape costs in the $300 range. As soon as it's in my hands,and I've cut some stuff with it I'll let ya know how it stands up to "The Big Boys".
I'll have less than $200 invested in this and if it's not a complete piece of shit I'll be :).
Tell ya what Crow, I'll post an honest,real-world "review",and if it seems like something you'd like PM me and I'll hook ya up for what I've got in it...200 bones.
I'm pretty sure this violates FC rules about buying/selling outside of the classifieds,but this is kinda different. I think.

AdmiralAlpacha

I wanted to get myself something fun for my birthday ie a new knife. But my funds wouldn't allow me to get anything as expensive as I want. So I decided to trade away a few of my knives, and so far I have two really nice ones coming my way. I can't wait to share pictures. I will be getting both my first traditional folder, and first mid tech for my collection. Most of the knives I traded away I will be fine without, but I am going to miss my 2013 shot show griptilian I parted with. But MID TECH!!

Edit: Oh oh I forgot
Not my pictures, but what I have coming.
BenHogan.jpg

I wanted to get myself something fun for my birthday ie a new knife. But my funds wouldn't allow me to get anything as expensive as I want. So I decided to trade away a few of my knives, and so far I have two really nice ones coming my way. I can't wait to share pictures. I will be getting both my first traditional folder, and first mid tech for my collection. Most of the knives I traded away I will be fine without, but I am going to miss my 2013 shot show griptilian I parted with. But MID TECH!!

Edit: Oh oh I forgot
Not my pictures, but what I have coming.
BenHogan.jpg

Beautiful,classic folder all the way! I hope they will get used,not just on display. A knife that shows wear is,to my eyes,a thing of beauty. You have great taste my man,please let us know how you like the new babies!

AdmiralAlpacha

I hope to maybe make the traditional my go to carry, and maybe give it to my nephew at some point. But I do not see myself carrying the HTM DDR very much. that puppy has a 5.5inch blade!!:o I don't even know if itll fit in my size 30 jeans! haha. But I am certain it will be fun to hold and play with. When I receive them (a long with my crkt swindle I ordered) ill post pictures and my thoughts for you guys.

edit: And thanks!

Enchantre

Oil Painter
It was amazing to watch. They danced with two each, leaping over the blades, whirling around, clashing...

This, btw, was at Hacienda Dona Enriquez, near Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

BeardedCrow

Sharpening my small sebenza.

I forgot how stubborn stainless steel is, I kept thinking 'why is this not working?' I'm used to carbon steels haha.

Anyways, threw it on a 1000 king, 4000 gesshin, and 8000 kitayama stones and it is nearly sharp enough to shave Asian hair.

BeardedCrow,

Deadshort480

Sharpening my small sebenza.

I forgot how stubborn stainless steel is, I kept thinking 'why is this not working?' I'm used to carbon steels haha.

Anyways, threw it on a 1000 king, 4000 gesshin, and 8000 kitayama stones and it is nearly sharp enough to shave Asian hair.

I just recently got a custom folder with a blade of CPM REX-121. This steel is crazy resistant to wear and is hardened to 70 HRC. For those that don't know, 70 HRC is insanely hard and pretty much unheard of for a blade steel. When I received the knife I decided to see just how hard this stuff was to work with by putting a new 20 degree bevel at the edge. It took me over three hours to get the edge where I wanted it. The next hardest steel I ever worked with (ZDP-189) took me about an hour to rebevel.

Stainless steel can be a mofo to work with.

BeardedCrow

70 is fairly hard! My knives range from 60-66 and that takes quite some time to profile.

And going from a 11" blade to a 2.9" blade is just strange!

Also, I need to lay off the caffiene before sharpening these tiny blades!

BeardedCrow

Serious! No one wants a faux tanto tip on a sebenza

Ugh, my boss gave me his Buck hunting knife to sharpen, thing has a curved blade, cannot sharpen curved blades on my stones.. Sigh

BeardedCrow,

Deadshort480

It takes practice to freehand a blade with a belly on water stones. That's why I use the Edge Pro when I don't feel comfortable with freehanding. I've never knocked a tip off, but I have blunted a tip from going too fast. I usually only have to touch up on strops so the only time I break out the stones is to create an entirely new edge.

Deadshort480,

BeardedCrow

Tip and belly isn't the issue, the issue is thg the heel of the knife sinks in (reverse belly?). This part can't even touch the stone...

I have a lansky but it's like 200 grit...

BeardedCrow,

Deadshort480

Recurve. Very, very hard to sharpen without using the corner edges of your stones. I actually had to buy special stones for my Edge Pro just for recurve blades.

Anyone have any exp. With Pro Tech autos? I can get a screamin' deal on a 5" DON auto, but beyond a quick fondle at gun shows I have zero time with "The DON".

ShipDit,

BeardedCrow

Originally got the lansky for my kukri, but it's a terrible stone to use.

I may leave the heel alone, as he says he only uses the tip for skinning. I just think it'll look weird because heel bevel will be concave and tip bevel will be ground flat...

BeardedCrow,
Top Bottom