Any knife nuts here at FC?

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Sorry, but... incredible? :shrug:
I gotta agree. I sold Cutco knives for a short time and they are lackluster. Their shears are good, but that's about where I draw the line.
I disagree. Cutco makes awesome knives and its done right here in the USA and backed with a great warranty. The Double-D edge is completely unique. Sorry you didn't like your experience with Vector marketing but that has nothing to do with the performance of Cutco knives. These blow my Wüsthof
Grand Prixs out of the water.
Then again, I despise serrated edges.
Those are NOT serrated edges . . . That is the Double-D edge, its way more sophisticated than a serrated blade.

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
I disagree. Cutco makes awesome knives and its done right here in the USA and backed with a great warranty. The Double-D edge is completely unique. Sorry you didn't like your experience with Vector marketing but that has nothing to do with the performance of Cutco knives. These blow my Wüsthof
Grand Prixs out of the water.
Those are NOT serrated edges . . . That is the Double-D edge, its way more sophisticated than a serrated blade.
It's a serrated edge, bud. Instead of rounded scallops they're angular. Serrated is serrated though no matter how the serrations are cut. The serrations create a chisel ground edge where one side is ground and the other side is not which is why I don't like serrated edges. Cutco uses cheap 440A steel and a garbage thermo resin plastic handle material with weird angles instead of palm swells, although the SS pins are quality. I get that you like them, so does my old man, but they aren't really quality. You can't even sharpen your own knife if something happens, you need the factory to do it. This is fine for people that have no desire to sharpen their knives for a nice edge, but that's part of what makes me a knife nut. The warranty is good, I will definitely admit to that.

Last edited:

Chocu1a

That’s all a person needs, Roger. Misono & Hiromoto? Very nice!!

Beardedcrow, if you ever want to sell the Konosuke Fujiyama knives let me know! ;)

I came to my senses and sold the Miyabi knives while they still had value. I tried some others that I’ve since sold off. Here's where I'm at now with a long way to go:

More importantly I need to build a set for professional use. Here's what I'll have in the bag someday:

270mm Tojiro ITK bread
270mm sujihiki (undecided)
240mm Tojiro HSPS gyuto (to replace 240mm Fujiwara FKM)
150mm Tojiro HSPS petty
180mm Wusthof Pro fillet
150mm boning knife (undecided)
90mm Mac paring
I am a professional chef. I can attest to the quality of Tojiro knives. I currently have in my knive kit, a 10" gyuto, 8" gyuto, ITK scalloped bread knive, 3" petty, a 12" yanagiba for fish and 7" santoku, all from Tojiro.
I also use a 12" wustof grand prix chefs knive for heavy chopping, 10" grand prix slicer for cutting steaks, and 5" Henkel 4 star boning knive for trimming/frenching. Price/performance Tojiro can't be beat.

At home I have a beautiful set of Shun classic knives.

And to the guys above me, no offence, but Cutco knives are garbage. In my 25 years cooking, I have never seen a professional cook use one. The handles are poorly shaped and create fatigue too quickly. The clearance between the bolster and handle is too shallow, making your knuckles hit the cutting board when chopping, and the bevel on the blade is all wrong. It cleaves instead of slicing. Not to mention the sub par quality of the steel used in the blade itself.
I appreciate the fact you like them, but no professional cook would be caught dead with a Cutco knive in their roll.

Last edited:

vbeazy

Much respect my friend! It's a tough industry. Ever reconsider? :)

I'm glad to hear good Tojiro reviews. I've only used the ITK bread knife (pictured) and a 180mm DP gyuto. Both great! I've decided to go with the Tojiro DP sujihiki and honesuki knives! Thanks for that.

Here's the final kit:

270 Tojiro ITK bread (check)
270 Tojiro DP sujihiki
240 Tojiro HSPS gyuto
150 Tojiro HSPS petty
150 Tojiro HSPS honesuki
180 Wusthof Pro fillet
90 Mac Pro paring (check)

Time to start saving! These will accompany the Boldric roll, Idahone ceramic hone and other accessories. I've been planning this for a while but didn't know what I wanted, I'm confident it'll be worth the wait. This is the perfect balance between cost and quality where chances of things being stolen are kept in mind. Also still room to carry one or two higher end knives depending on the work load. :D

vbeazy,
Reactions: Chocu1a

vbeazy

Also...

Being the knife nut that I've become, I have invested into Japanese whetstones... I would never let Cutco sharpen one of my knives. I currently use three different grit Naniwa Chosera stones. I would like to try Shapton Glass, Gesshin, and natural stones. Depending on the steel and setting they will all shine in their own ways.

In my humble opinion, Cutco is a prime example of a company who marketed 'Made in America' and made millions. The only thing going for them is the warranty and free sharpening (useless outside of the USA). Frankly I don't need warranty on my knives but there are companies with great return policies like Wushtof and Zwilling should a defected knife get past quality control. Cutco is overmarketed, overpriced garbage.

vbeazy,
Reactions: Chocu1a

Chocu1a

Here is my knive kit I use at work. These are roughly 4-6 years in use. The newest is the serrated bread knive. The Wustofs are a little over 10 years old.
20170322_200215.jpg

Chocu1a,
Reactions: vbeazy

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
If anyone is looking for a quality life long pocket knife at a good price for the steel and materials used, I highly recommend checking out any of the "Blurple" G-10 handled Spyderco Paramilitary 2, Manix 2, or Native 5 in CPM S110V steel. The Manix 2 and Native 5 are also available in lightweight FRN handled versions. All can be found on Amazon at good prices. S110V is just an awesome steel that holds a ridiculous edge for a looooong time. Not easy to sharpen, but not hard to maintain.

Bouldorado

Since I'm local I should stop by the Spyderco outlet. I like Spyderco but not enough to buy them at their retail price.

Bouldorado,
Top Bottom