Adventurer by Focus Vape

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
My unit from puffitup arrived yesterday.

I have only had 3 sessions so far so these are very much preliminary observations.

Firstly, I found the draw restriction less than expected given the posts earlier in this thread, and noting the issues people posted re clogging(thanks folks), I have fitted a fine screen in the chamber before my first use. hopefully this will stop or at least slow the clogging issues. time will tell and I will update.

Some stats.

Heats to stock temp (191c) in 35 seconds.
Heats to 220c in 55 seconds.
Nice clouds at 220c and quite smooth with the bubbler, which doesn't leak even when I turn the unit upside down..

I really like how pretty much every part disassembles for cleaning.

There was virtually no smell straight out of the box (unlike many other electronic vapes I have received which need to be aired out). I could detect the faintest rubber smell if I put my nose right up to the silicon and breath deep and also when drawing an empty chamber to test it, but nothing noticeable when packed with material.

I didn't bother with a burn off (again, unlike other electronic vapes IME) although I fully cleaned with iso and/or hot water before use, which I do with every vape I buy.

So far it's doing exactly what I bought it for and I am liking it.

VaporBull

My unit from puffitup arrived yesterday.

I have only had 3 sessions so far so these are very much preliminary observations.

Firstly, I found the draw restriction less than expected given the posts earlier in this thread, and noting the issues people posted re clogging(thanks folks), I have fitted a fine screen in the chamber before my first use. hopefully this will stop or at least slow the clogging issues. time will tell and I will update.

Some stats.

Heats to 220c in 55 seconds.
Nice clouds at 220c and quite smooth with the bubbler, which doesn't leak even when I turn the unit upside down..

I really like how pretty much every part disassembles for cleaning.

There was virtually no smell straight out of the box (unlike many other electronic vapes I have received which need to be aired out). I could detect the faintest rubber smell if I put my nose right up to the silicon and breath deep and also when drawing an empty chamber to test it, but nothing noticeable when packed with material.

I didn't bother with a burn off (again, unlike other electronic vapes IME) although I fully cleaned with iso and/or hot water before use, which I do with every vape I buy.

So far it's doing exactly what I bought it for and I am liking it.

I would like to see the screen you added.

VaporBull,

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
I will try to post photos tomorrow @VaporBull but i am using the spare screens which came with the indica vape cut in half, and then wrapped around the indica spacer to shape them to cover the half of the oven where the vapor exits. Basically, square screens about 1 inch across, cut in half to form a rectangle.

The indica spacers are a perfect fit into this oven to get a half packed oven. Absolutely perfect. Fits like a glove like they were designed for it.

Dramma Lamma

Looks like a job for!
@max @momofthegoons @pakalolo @Stu @vtac
Can we move this out of un-released please?

I took out the valve internals and am using the device dry @410-420F
Hits well and lots of bowls so far with no clog.
This thing heats up fast on a full charge it feels like (never timed it compared to others)

Dramma Lamma,

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
Have given this a run for the last few weeks and present my thoughts.

Overall I really like it.

Battery life is awesome. Generally getting around 10 sessions per battery. Funny that it's user replaceable so doesn't need to be excellent battery life, but is still better than most other portables out there. Here's some stats. All standard 5 minute session starting from cold unless noted otherwise. (battery is LGABHE21865)
1. 192c
2-4. 220c
5.195c
6-7. 215c
8. 225c
battery dead at 3.7v

205c. 215. 225. 233
215c. 220. 235 back to back 235 -half cooled 235
235c back to back 235 {next morning on empty battery indicator to test battery}

190c. 210. 225
190c. 205. 220
215c. 215c. 230c plus extra 2 1/2 mins session with battery warning flashing.
230c then flat battery, so full 5 min session including warm up on a flashing flat battery indicator
battery down to 3.5v

In fact I haven't gotten a flat battery to stop a 5 min session yet. It seems that if it starts a session, it will finish it.

Really simple to use. 3 presses to turn on. Vibrates when reaches temp, but unfortunately no vibration when it goes into sleep mode after 5 mins. Hold button for 3 seconds to restart session.
Heats to 220c in 45-55 seconds.
Remembers heat setting from previous session (unless you remove the battery).
Heat up gets a little slower as the battery gets flat.

You can turn off the light that illuminates the bubbler, but not the screen, although it's easy to cover with a number of different hand holds.

The mini hydro tube works as intended, but as noted by others, it gets blocked pretty quickly. You need to huff it a few times at the start to unblock it with hot vapor and it loosens up throughout the session. You can cigar puff/mouth pull this vape pretty well, though. After about 6 sessions all the water has pretty much evaporated.

However, running it empty (and taking the little mechanism out) is still really smooth and very free flowing with an easy draw. Plus the glass mouth piece has ceramic in it so you can wet this and still get some moisture into the vapour if wanted.

I also like how the glass hydro tube is mounted to O-rings at the bottom and silicon at the mouth piece, so should be pretty shock proof (plus I dropped the hydro tube off the table onto thin carpet with no issue) so, surprisingly, this will probably be my new ski vape (in dry bubbler mode).

I was intending to add (lots) more and include pics, but this is already longer than I anticipated and it's late so I might continue this Novella at a later date...

hit&run

I don't like getting water into the mouth while vaping. It's really ruin the enjoyment for me. Therefor the glass-mouthpiece should be 2 or perhaps 3 times longer.

If water is filled in bubbler you have to use the adventurer straight vertical. Oherwise the bubbler will not work of course. For that reason you have to hang over the vaporizer and look down while vaping. I really don't like that. Therefor the glass-mouthpiece should have an angle of 90 degree.

If there's too much water in the bubbler, water will get into the chamber . Hmpf. :ugh:

If there's too little water in the bubbler, of course it will not work as developed for water filtration.

If there's the correct amount of water in the bubbler (as i guess), water will last just a few minutes of vaping until there is again too little water in.

For all those reasons i usually use the adventurer without water. Or do i make any mistakes with the adventurer?

But i still don't know if i should use the adventurer with or without bubbler in it whilst dry vaping(?)

Any thoughts?

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Maybe you can use the water tool without water only to extend the vaporpath, the previous reviews mentionned this issue too.

PPN,

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
For all those reasons i usually use the adventurer without water. Or do i make any mistakes with the adventurer?

But i still don't know if i should use the adventurer with or without bubbler in it whilst dry vaping(?)

Any thoughts?

From my experience you still need to use the adventurer with the bubbler even whilst dry. If you don't have the bubbler installed, there is a slight air gap where fresh air is drawn in through the bottom of the vape (around the part that you push up to remove the bubbler) as well as through the oven, so you end up with very wispy vapour which is much less effective. It still works but you get unsatisfying results.

This also applies if you use the bubbler without the metal part on the bottom, as this piece creates the seal. My recommendation is if you use it dry, remove the spring loaded 'locking mechanism ' as this is the bit which gets coated with resin and seizes up and also increases draw resistance even when clean.

Vapenvy,
Reactions: PPN

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
Over a month and i am doing a back to back post! Popular vape, huh?

Anyway. Gonna throw a few more thoughts out, plus some pics.

Actually, looking at the pics i took, they don't really have any relationship to what i had intended to write when i started this 'review'. Anyway, plough on...show a brave face...

A size comparison

The bubbler works pretty good once you realise you can ditch the little 'safety valve'. The vapor path is a little hydro tube, so as long as you make sure it is filled properly and doesn't leak before you put it in, it hasn't leaked for me in a few weeks use. Without this, there is little draw resistance and very smooth vapor.
I don't have a pic of the bubbler :huh:. Here's some of the stuff you can ditch...and other stuff you can put together :hmm:

to get this

Which goes in the bottom of the hydrotube. Of which i have no photo, although that's what I am writing about :doh:

I think i took these type of 'exploded parts' photos to talk abouthow everything comes apart for cleaning, if you really want to. Here's the mouthpiece. Looks like a lunar lander

..and exploded

The chamber is huge, and an Indica spacer is an almost perfect fit for a half load. With the sloping sides, itis easy to fill the chamber. (Plus half an indica screen to provide extra filtration)

Taste is pretty average, but the vapor is smooth, and it's a solid unit. I use it for a 'take a walk' vape, and will go on holiday with me for skiing and the like especially whenever I have any other 18650 battery vapes, as this is a great backup and battery charger in one.

:shrug:

In the voice of the comics guy from the Simpsons

WORST REVIEW EVER....

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Got mine yesterday and my first impressions are a bit mitiged, I was expecting for a super Focus since the original is the better working conduction vape in my arsenal, it provided to me smooth and thick vapor even under 180°C..... the Adventurer is different.

For my first session I was surprised how clean was the taste for a never used device, only flowers and nothing to pollute it but I was surprised by the lack of vapor since I started at 195°C.... although it was a loose load.
Second session, I used a firm pack (a lot since the oven size, maybe 0.3g) and I got a better experience but far, in term of clouds, of what the Focus pen does. The pen version was totally idiot proof and was working well even with a pinch, this one seems to prefer a àla Pax load.

Building quality is nice and I like the replacable batteries but I need to work how to get the better out of this device, I only done a few sessions(4 or 5) and battery is charging actually although it was a slightly old and not fully charged LGHE2 I used for my first try.

@Vapenvy did you got the convection screen? doesn't seems to work for me except if I use very high temp (This vape can heat as high as 464°F, the hotter portable ever experienced although I have some doubts..), I'm thinking to use it as a spacer.

On your pic, about the pic the bowl, I noticed my unit get a mesh screen and your looks like a ceramic screen.... it looks like they tried to improve the clogging issue... i heard mine is version 2, I think your is version 1 and I know there is a version 3 (with improved bubbler).

My true review with pics will come after more use!

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Here a pic of my Adventurer close of a Prima and a Flowermate Swift for size comparison:

Ieqk3kx.jpg

I like it better than my first impressions lead to think.... cause I misused it and there was an air gap which was diluting my hits. Now I understand better how it works and get some nice sessions. Taste is clean and you get consistent clouds although not as big as the Focus Pro. I think they got in mind a sort of long session sipper vape.

Bowl is a bit big but you can easily make a spacer with rectangular screens.

The main cons is the airflow (and the fact it is totally clogged until the hot air melt caked resin), I decide to empty the bubbler after 2 sessions cause I thought it was cause of air restriction....without sucess although I kept it empty cause i prefer to hit it dry. After that I removed the mesh screen in the vapor path just after the bowl (it was already caked with resin) and replaced it with a screen as @Vapenvy shown, it helps but not a lot ....until I realized there is a sort of silicone valve (to avoid to get water out of the bubbler) in the metal base of the bubbler which is the cause of all the restriction....but I still not managed to take it off...and it would be not usable with water anymore after that. The other cons is there is some small parts you can lost.

The replacable battery is a big plus, it comes with a LG HE2 which is a pretty good battery and battery life is more than decent, the battery lid is a bit hard to close but battery replacement is quick and easy.

A glass tube to replace the bubbler for dry use would be a nice add in the package, and easier to clean! As well some spacers and a concentrates options since the higher temp is 464°F, high enough to vaporize concentrates I think (I still not tested).

Definitly a good conduction session vape I would recommand.... if it was cheaper, I think a 160€ max pricepoint would be better. It si not overpriced just slightly too expensive imo.

Thanks for looking

ps: will try to post more pics soon..

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
Great observations @PPN i agree with most of what you have found.

I did not get a covection screen. I am not even quite sure what that is.

With your question about ceramic screen i am a bit confused. Mine has a ceramic oven, but the screen in the oven is metal. like a tube with holes at one end.

The ceramic part is for the mouthpiece. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, a glass tube to replace the bubbler for dry use and easy cleaning would be a great inclusion. I had thought the same thing.

until I realized there is a sort of silicone valve (to avoid to get water out of the bubbler) in the metal base of the bubbler which is the cause of all the restriction....but I still not managed to take it off...and it would be not usable with water anymore after that. The other cons is there is some small parts you can lost.

Ha ha...I knew i wasn't making any sense with my 'Review' above. I think the silicon valve is an extra safety feature, sort of a 'the lawyers told us we had to' inclusion which is not needed. I have taken mine out and still use it with water. Here's a picture.

This is the bubbler which i have had in the focusvape for the last few days WITHOUT the little valve (which i dug out of my box for this photo). You can't see it, but the bubbler still has some water in it. As long as it is filled properly and not leaking when you put the bubbler in i feel you don't need the valve, and i have not had a single leak, so i don't use the 'safety valve' at all now.

This way there is virtually no draw restriction. I guess a leak is possible, but as far as i can see, the worst that would happen would be water leaking into the bowl and ruining a load. Obviously, this is at your own risk...

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Here a pic of the " safety valve" in my unit, looks totally different than your but was still too much restricted so I took it off:
tlQkeJ5.jpg

Although this is turn the unit in a totally different unit!
I'm really start to dig it a lot, taste is in the average but pretty decent and absolutly not polluted by any bad taste and I got some pretty thick clouds at 390 now.

The large bowl is nice for a long lasting session. I think with some FC discount codes it could be avalaible in the 160-170$ range.

FocusVape is offering some pretty decent vapes, all with replacable battery and all powerfull units (without to mention all their vapes comes with very good battery brand LG&Samsung). still far of perfection but who cares about perfection in our imperfected world...

Skyscraper

I've taken apart the seal of the hydrotube, but don't understand how to unscrew the piece to reach the safety valve? I just can't get a good grip on it due to the small size. Can anyone help out?

Edit: I was able to pry it apart with the metal stir/dab tool.. There was a lot of resin at the valve where all the air was restricted.

So now my question is... Are you all adding the white piece back to the base of the bubbler, or leaving it wide open?

Last edited:
Skyscraper,
Reactions: Vapenvy

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
@Skyscraper Yeah, it takes a bit of force the first few times.

I leave it wide open. The little white piece (safety valve) stays in the box. Just make sure that the hydrotube is properly filled and does not spill or leak out before you put it back in the vape. I turn it every which way, upside down etc to be sure. I haven't had it leak on me yet, even running around a cricket oval...

Quite an open, smooth draw without the safety valve.

I also noticed that the light for the bubbler is perfect for checking if you are still getting vapor. Just exhale directly through the green light to check vapor production in the dark.

Vapenvy,

Skyscraper

So I can also confirm that removing the safety valve improves this vape a lot. The built in water filtration is a nice feature, and the big chamber makes me think this would be good for groups. When using it for one, some kind of spacer mod would be a big help. Are those Indica spacers still for sale anywhere @Vapenvy?

Skyscraper,
Reactions: PPN

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
@Skyscraper I am not sure if they ever sold the accessories for the indica seperately, which is a shame as the indica wooden box and accessories were awesome. I still use most of them.

Pretty sure the original indicas are no longer for sale, too, although i'd recommend contacting puffitup who, i think sold them, so they may have some accessories left.

Vapenvy,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Yes any kind of spacer would be nice from FocusVapes cause the Adventurer works well when fully tight packed. The convection screen there was in the box (similar to a Haze canvection screen) doesn't works very well, you need to put temp at max (464°F) to get decent clouds. It's bad cause it helps to minimize the load and carry a better taste.

I think the spacer might work better if it comes on the top of the load with the same rectangular shape the oven is (I'm thinking to use my spares Pax3 screens...).

A nice vape but I'm still prefering the original Focus I get than the Adventurer except for very long sessions where it is better.

Vitolo

Vaporist
I just got a few of these in for the community.
I tried it without filling the water chamber ( I am not a fan of water filtration) and liked it dry very well.
The sessions were short, but I could get right back where I was very fast.
Different from Flowermate and other similar vapes in that the oven is at the bottom like the Pax (I know this has been pointed out already)
A tutorial ....
index.php

Looks like some recent portables in shape and size.
index.php

Bottom oven like a Pax (the button that says push, ejects the vapor-
path/bubbler that will snap back into place)

index.php

The ejected bubbler.

index.php

Take it apart and fill it.. I used it dry

index.php

Click it back in place.

index.php

Attach mouthpiece

index.php

Window shows bubbler water

index.php

Digital control to the degree.. gets there fast and vibrates.

index.php

There is a light (you can turn on and off) behind the bubbler for effect.
I had a good session, and will write more about the unit later.... this is a simple pictorial review,
about a novel and very effective and flavorful unit with an all glass vaporpath.
I do not like filtration, but the concept is sound.

Vitolo,

Skyscraper

I hadn't used the Adventurer in a while, so wanting to give this vape a chance decided to bust it out and experiment. When removing the bubbler base to fill it, the glass bubbler cracked where the base inserts! :doh:

I wasn't being too forceful with it, but the o-rings make a tight seal inside the glass.

The design of this vape is really cool, but I never really got it too work properly, even with removing the safety valve. I wanted to use this vape for group sessions, but the vapor production is too wispy for the amount of bud you have to pack in the oven.

With my experience of the Adventurer, this is a vape that I would not recommend. Can't blame Focusvape for coming up with a really innovative idea though.

Skyscraper,
Reactions: Vitolo

Vitolo

Vaporist
@Vitolo where'd the photos go?
PIU has the Adventurer for 1/2 price now.
Pictures are there, maybe it was your browser.
I wasn't being too forceful with it, but the o-rings make a tight seal inside the glass.
I had to get in there with my fingernail, and give myself an edge in pulling the base out bit by bit , rather than twisting... I shimmied it off, and did the same with a little twist replacing it.
Not too much water.. a few drops will do!

Vitolo,
Top Bottom