Adventurer by Focus Vape

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
I have one of these on the way so can give some impressions in a week or two (international shipping. Don’t hold your breath people)

It ticks a lot of boxes for me, so hopefully will live up to expectations.

-in built bubbler adds moisture
-changeable batteries, same type as Milaana (i assume), so nothing new to buy and will last a big day out.
-inbuilt charging via usb, so no need to take an external charger or extra wall Plug
-Easy to pass around sesion/conduction vape
-big oven so fill and forget
-adjustable temperature
Great! Will be looking forward to your impressions. Hope you don't have to wait too long.

moondog,
Reactions: Hjalmark

Skyscraper

Does anybody else have one of these yet?

I ordered an Adventurer from PIU last week.. Tried it out over the weekend and am still experimenting with it. I can't really give a review yet as I'm still kind of figuring out the vape. I also got a Focus Pro from them and so far I've had better results with that vape.

I can't really tell if the built in bubbler is meant to be used on it's own or attached to the mouthpiece? :hmm:
The bubbler pushes down into the unit, and there's a button next to the oven that says "PUSH Glass up". When you push up the glass the bubbler gets loose to be removed from the unit and filled with water.
I think it's meant to be assembled to the mouthpiece for use because the bubbler is too short to get your lips around, even when disengaged from the vape. And the vapor:air ratio makes the hits nonexistent.
I'll have to do a session tomorrow morning with the bubbler attached to the mouthpiece and report back.

moondog

I ordered an Adventurer from PIU last week.. Tried it out over the weekend and am still experimenting with it. I can't really give a review yet as I'm still kind of figuring out the vape. I also got a Focus Pro from them and so far I've had better results with that vape.

I can't really tell if the built in bubbler is meant to be used on it's own or attached to the mouthpiece? :hmm:
The bubbler pushes down into the unit, and there's a button next to the oven that says "PUSH Glass up". When you push up the glass the bubbler gets loose to be removed from the unit and filled with water.
I think it's meant to be assembled to the mouthpiece for use because the bubbler is too short to get your lips around, even when disengaged from the vape. And the vapor:air ratio makes the hits nonexistent.
I'll have to do a session tomorrow morning with the bubbler attached to the mouthpiece and report back.
I think you're the first. iFocus did a lot of things right with the Pro, so I'd be very surprised if the Adventurer was a complete dud. Please keep us posted as you get to know it.

VaporBull

Just got mine today. I know what you mean. I cant seem to get the bubbler to hold enough water.
I'm still figuring out how to use the bubbler correctly. I may try it without water in the bubbler.

VaporBull,
Reactions: moondog

moondog

Just got mine today. I know what you mean. I cant seem to get the bubbler to hold enough water.
I'm still figuring out how to use the bubbler correctly. I may try it without water in the bubbler.
I think it's worth a try to run it dry. I have a Focus bubbler for use with my Digital Pro. I found it to be a bit finicky in terms of water levels, etc. So I would mostly use it dry. Just by extending the vapor path I get cooler vapor.

Skyscraper

Alright.. First of all I tried the Adventurer a few different ways (just bubbler, mouthpiece without bubbler in the airpath, and bubbler attached to mouthpiece). By far the best configuration is the last. The hits are smooth with nice taste and plenty of vapor.
Like I said in my previous post, the bubbler isn't long enough to really reach your lips unless you kind of pull it out, and it sits loose in the vape. The air path is also more restricted with the bubbler in place than without, leading to more vapor and a better taste in my experience/opinion.

I've run several sessions, the first few of which were not satisfying. The past two nights though, I've had good sessions with good effects. This vape can extract the goods.

The chamber is kind of large, but I imagine it can't be bigger than many comparable vapes. I've experimented with full tight packs and full or half packs with a light tamp.

I get better hits and vapor production from even a half pack with a light tamp compared to tight full pack.

I haven't been weighing but load size can probably range from ~.15-.25g .

I've found it only takes a splash of water in the bottom of the bubbler. Then you suck it into the chamber and empty it when done by blowing through it.

It's a compact vaporizer, but the battery life has been solid. I haven't abused it, but it seems like you could get 8-10 sessions per charge, and I was using mostly high temps (390+) the past two nights.

The vape is also powerful for it's size, I get 2 or 3 sessions of rich vapor per load if I temp step.

Overall I'm satisfied with the Adventurer, I got a nice deal on it from PIU and they gave me great service. It's a unique vape that has a classy feel, keeping with the original Focus vaporizer.

moondog

Alright.. First of all I tried the Adventurer a few different ways (just bubbler, mouthpiece without bubbler in the airpath, and bubbler attached to mouthpiece). By far the best configuration is the last. The hits are smooth with nice taste and plenty of vapor.
Like I said in my previous post, the bubbler isn't long enough to really reach your lips unless you kind of pull it out, and it sits loose in the vape. The air path is also more restricted with the bubbler in place than without, leading to more vapor and a better taste in my experience/opinion.

I've run several sessions, the first few of which were not satisfying. The past two nights though, I've had good sessions with good effects. This vape can extract the goods.

The chamber is kind of large, but I imagine it can't be bigger than many comparable vapes. I've experimented with full tight packs and full or half packs with a light tamp.

I get better hits and vapor production from even a half pack with a light tamp compared to tight full pack.

I haven't been weighing but load size can probably range from ~.15-.25g .

I've found it only takes a splash of water in the bottom of the bubbler. Then you suck it into the chamber and empty it when done by blowing through it.

It's a compact vaporizer, but the battery life has been solid. I haven't abused it, but it seems like you could get 8-10 sessions per charge, and I was using mostly high temps (390+) the past two nights.

The vape is also powerful for it's size, I get 2 or 3 sessions of rich vapor per load if I temp step.

Overall I'm satisfied with the Adventurer, I got a nice deal on it from PIU and they gave me great service. It's a unique vape that has a classy feel, keeping with the original Focus vaporizer.
How secure is the water in the bubbler? My understanding is that the idea is that you can store the bubbler in the vape even with water in it. Does it seem as if it would leak in transport?

Skyscraper

There's a metal base with O-rings that creates a seal so water cannot leak out of the bottom of the bubbler. I have turned the bubbler on its side and upside down both inside the vape and out and from my experience water will not leak out.

When I take a draw, sometimes a little bit of water will splash up into my mouth, especially if there's a little bit of excess water. Like I said it really only takes a splash. That's the only time I've noticed water escaping.

moondog

There's a metal base with O-rings that creates a seal so water cannot leak out of the bottom of the bubbler. I have turned the bubbler on its side and upside down both inside the vape and out and from my experience water will not leak out.

When I take a draw, sometimes a little bit of water will splash up into my mouth, especially if there's a little bit of excess water. Like I said it really only takes a splash. That's the only time I've noticed water escaping.
Cool. Thanks.

Skyscraper

You're welcome man, I'm glad to be giving some feedback on this new vape. It really does have a lot of desirable and unique features. With the sizeable oven and water filtration I can see this being a good vaporizer for a group session.

I find the taste from this vaporizer to be really good, even at high temps. The extraction is also very even. The other night I ran two half packed ovens at 410F, then combined the loads for a full oven at 430. Surprisingly, the ABV was still fairly tasty and I got several more big hits out of one 5 minute session. ABV came out nice and dark brown. This vape doesn't have a very pronounced hot spot, with the right pack heat is distributed pretty evenly

VaporBull

How secure is the water in the bubbler? My understanding is that the idea is that you can store the bubbler in the vape even with water in it. Does it seem as if it would leak in transport?

I had a situation where the base of the bubbler was not exactly as tight as it should have been and it managed to leak into the oven. Thankfully all that happened was moist herb. It's not exactly easy to get the metal base out or back in the bubbler for that matter but it's not insurmountable.

I'm charging the vape up again and will put it through a couple more sessions with the bubbler and a couple without it.

I'm lukewarm on the flat mouthpiece so far. Never been a fan on that PAX style "sip" thing.
The glass mouthpiece was about what you would expect. Clean good tasting vapor.

These are all initial impressions though. More testing to be done in the next few days.

Skyscraper

[QUOTE="VaporBull, post: 1046092, member: 29624"

I'm lukewarm on the flat mouthpiece so far. Never been a fan on that PAX style "sip" thing.

[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by the flat mouthpiece? Have you tried using the bubbler attached to the included glass mouthpiece? That's how I've had best results so far.

VaporBull

[QUOTE="VaporBull, post: 1046092, member: 29624"

What do you mean by the flat mouthpiece? Have you tried using the bubbler attached to the included glass mouthpiece? That's how I've had best results so far.[/QUOTE]
It comes with the green and black attached mouthpiece. There is a slit on the end where the end of the bubbler connects.

VaporBull,

Skyscraper

I see, so you're taking the black plastic piece off the silicone seal. That does seem like how the bubbler is meant to be used. I agree I don't really like the lack of mouthpiece a la PAX, which is why I eventually settled on the bubbler + glass MP configuration.

VaporBull

I see, so you're taking the black plastic piece off the silicone seal. That does seem like how the bubbler is meant to be used. I agree I don't really like the lack of mouthpiece a la PAX, which is why I eventually settled on the bubbler + glass MP configuration.

I'm not taking the plastic off the silicone. I've tried the glass on glass setup. I find the draw to be very inconsistent no matter how I configure it. I think the vent in the oven gets blocked very easily.

Here is the slit on the default mouthpiece

http://imgur.com/a/IgBwf

VaporBull,

Dramma Lamma

Looks like a job for!
I'm not taking the plastic off the silicone. I've tried the glass on glass setup. I find the draw to be very inconsistent no matter how I configure it. I think the vent in the oven gets blocked very easily.

I thought the same until today I went to investigate...
The issue for me at least seems to be the one-way valve the bubbler rests on.

It gets so insanely gunked up in just one use.
If you take the valve apart and are careful to not loose a piece of it you can wipe it clean easy with your fingers.

However because it gets crazy crazy draw restriction after one bowl and becomes literally un-usable before you can finish bowl 3 this is a major problem. If there were not such tiny of pieces which will be easy to loose and if it were not such a bitch to get a grip on it and take it apart it wouldn't even be a big deal cleaning it every use IMO.

But there is no replacement valve available and the parts are super likely to get lost, I feel their days are numbered. There is likely no mod we can do here to make it both prevent spilling into the heater and also give more open draw. The only thing that comes to mind is to replace the most internal o-ring with one which is smoother and softer, or one with a smaller diameter by a tad.

If you want to use the vape dry only this is a non-issue as you can remove part of the valve and its all good.

Its a shame the valve here is holding the device back so badly as it's good overall.
It cooks well, heats up fast, tastes nice, when clean hits well, honestly the valve needing soo much maintenance is the only gripe I can find with it.
The good news is if the manufacturer can agree on the problem then all they need to do is re-work the valve and everything else is golden.

Last edited:

moondog

If you take the valve apart and are careful to not loose a piece of it you can wipe it clean easy with your fingers.

However because it gets crazy crazy draw restriction after one bowl and becomes literally un-usable before you can finish bowl 3 this is a major problem. If there were not such tiny of pieces which will be easy to loose and if it were not such a bitch to get a grip on it and take it apart it wouldn't even be a big deal cleaning it every use IMO.

But there is no replacement valve available and the parts are super likely to get lost, I feel their days are numbered. There is likely no mod we can do here to make it both prevent spilling into the heater and also give more open draw. The only thing that comes to mind is to replace the most internal o-ring with one which is smoother and softer, or one with a smaller diameter by a tad.

If you want to use the vape dry only this is a non-issue as you can remove part of the valve and its all good.

Its a shame the valve here is holding the device back so badly as it's good overall.
It cooks well, heats up fast, tastes nice, when clean hits well, honestly the valve needing soo much maintenance is the only gripe I can find with it.
The good news is if the manufacturer can agree on the problem then all they need to do is re-work the valve and everything else is golden.
Unfortunately, this reminds me a little too much of my sad experience with the miVape - a potentially great vape hamstrung by a fatal flaw in the mouthpiece. The combination of this news and how happy I am with my Grasshoppers means I'll be passing on the Adventurer.

But I will be keeping an eye on iFocus in hopes that they will someday come out with a pure convection vape as good as their Focus Pro conduction vape.

VaporBull

You know Im in the process of attempting a return. The whole point of portable vapes for me is a pleasant easy alternative to rolling a joint/blunt. This vape is not that.

It is a shame because it's got so many interesting features. The replaceable battery. Adjustable temps. Glass path. But for me the oven is a real problem being on the bottom of the unit. It's just not natural although magnetic over covers are normally a plus. Its seriously easy to lose your material fucking with the mouthpiece.

I lost another load to seeping water yesterday and frankly it's a hazard at this point. That's 3 packed loads.

The whole appeal to me was the bubbler but it's not worth the time and cleaning you indicate.
WHEN it worked ok the vapor quality was good but SERIOUSLY faint. I'm not a cloud chaser by any means but I like to SEE some sort of vapor especially over 400 degrees.

Catching a nice vapor high should not be this labor intensive. Cleaning the valve IF possible would still be a pain in the ass. The draw resistance is just horrible even when the path was clear.

They really could have had something here.

VaporBull,
Reactions: Xelatsok

Dramma Lamma

Looks like a job for!
You know Im in the process of attempting a return. The whole point of portable vapes for me is a pleasant easy alternative to rolling a joint/blunt. This vape is not that.

It is a shame because it's got so many interesting features. The replaceable battery. Adjustable temps. Glass path. But for me the oven is a real problem being on the bottom of the unit. It's just not natural although magnetic over covers are normally a plus. Its seriously easy to lose your material fucking with the mouthpiece.

I lost another load to seeping water yesterday and frankly it's a hazard at this point. That's 3 packed loads.

The whole appeal to me was the bubbler but it's not worth the time and cleaning you indicate.
WHEN it worked ok the vapor quality was good but SERIOUSLY faint. I'm not a cloud chaser by any means but I like to SEE some sort of vapor especially over 400 degrees.

Catching a nice vapor high should not be this labor intensive. Cleaning the valve IF possible would still be a pain in the ass. The draw resistance is just horrible even when the path was clear.

They really could have had something here.

Well for what it is worth mine is actually kicking fucking ass for the 400-420F I set it at, very happy with the performance.

Very dark and even AVB with 1 stir and very strong hits.

I'm willing to say I think its better than other than a few things in its size/price.

Not happy with the maintenance, more accurately how likely I am to loose a price during it.

Dramma Lamma,
Reactions: Vapenvy

Skyscraper

I also noticed that the metal bubbler base has what looks like a ceramic filter? I initially thought how is this supposed to work?

I've also noticed a pretty restricted airpath at times, but I only really noticed it with water in the bubbler so I thought it had something to do with pressure? I dunno..

Skyscraper,
Reactions: VaporBull

kente777

Like a few of the comments already mentioned, the adapter that goes into the bottom of the bubbler, absolutely sucks. Terrible design. Gunks up easily (I mean only after a couple of sessions). Very small parts that can be easily lost. Not easy to disassemble.

When it's clean, it's pretty nice. But unless they fix this problem, it's going to go back of my drawer alongside of my Arizer Solo.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
But how comes these kind of fatal flaws passed unnoticed by their beta testing group? Did they just release the thing without getting any feedback first? It's beyond me... :rolleyes:

kente777

But how comes these kind of fatal flaws passed unnoticed by their beta testing group? Did they just release the thing without getting any feedback first? It's beyond me... :rolleyes:

I don't know. Lack of Quality Control?

This is where the rubber will meet the road for FocusVape. I can't use a vape that I have to clean every few sessions....particularly how much of a pain in the ass it is to disassemble this adapter.

We shall see. This type of vaporizer has huge potential.

VaporBull

Well for what it is worth mine is actually kicking fucking ass for the 400-420F I set it at, very happy with the performance.

Very dark and even AVB with 1 stir and very strong hits.

I'm willing to say I think its better than other than a few things in its size/price.

Not happy with the maintenance, more accurately how likely I am to loose a price during it.

I think you bring up another thing I don't like. The fact that I could see very faint vapor unless I bumped the temp to 417-420. I almost never vape at those temps. I'm sure the resistance and easily blocked path contribute to this.

VaporBull,
Reactions: Xelatsok
Top Bottom