Tek ABV Concentrate experiment: What method is best?

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Edit: After looking into Butane contaminants I found that many are heavy metals and therefore would concentrate the way Weedemon suggests. From my research into super-critical CO2 extraction:

"Currently, a popular extraction solvent is butane which can potentially leave heavy metals behind in your finished product."

t-dub

t-dub,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I am doing an ethanol extraction of abv right now..
I wanted to get rid of the baked smell so i wanted to try water cure.. but i didnt wanted to wait a week so i decided to experiment with warm water cure. I soaked the 15 g of abv in 4 l of water and put it on the stove.. I reapeated the process 3 times waiting for water to reach boiling temps then removed and strained after few minutes warm water soak.. After 3 leeches the water was getting no more dark so i put it in the oven at 150 C and dried.. Then froze and soak in 110ml ethanol (also cold) shaked 15 seconds ,let it sit 15 seconds and strained.. I am currently evaporating the substance..
Abv weight was reduced by nearly 25 % after the warm water cure..
This time the ethanol is 100 times lighter in color compared to non cure extraction...\
Final yield : 0.2 Tasteless runny brown eho..
Usually ethanol gives me a hard candy but this time it is runny...

Abysmal Vapor,

weedemon

enthusiast
thx for the update t-dub!

interesting results abysmal! thank you for sharing! the potency seems more or less the same as compared to the taffy like stuff?

btw, is you used ethanol it's not bho but eho! haha ;)

weedemon,

Abysmal Vapor

weedemon said:
thx for the update t-dub!

interesting results abysmal! thank you for sharing! the potency seems more or less the same as compared to the taffy like stuff?

btw, is you used ethanol it's not bho but eho! haha ;)
Well it is a bit more potent and leaves almost no residue compared to the taffy. + it is more lighter in colour and tasteless..

Abysmal Vapor,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
this might seem like a dumb question but, where do you guys get your blades to scrape up QWISO on a pyrex dish? i would probably QWISO my ABV more often but i just never knew where i could get one :/

HighlyEducatedScholar,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
I also know in my area that HomeDepot, Rona, etc sell them (in 10 paks I believe), as well as those SnapOn vendors if your wanting to shop direct instead of ordering online.

smokum,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
thats perfect. i would prefer to pick up something as small and simple as a razor blade myself instead of ordering it. looks like i'll be going over to home depot soon. thanks again!

HighlyEducatedScholar,

weedemon

enthusiast
just wipe and wash the blade first before using. they sometimes have oil on em to prevent rusting. and you don't want that oil in your oil :p

weedemon,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Good point weedemon !! I always forget to add that even though its kind of a given, lol.

smokum,

StickyShisha2

weedemon said:
just wipe and wash the blade first before using. they sometimes have oil on em to prevent rusting. and you don't want that oil in your oil :p

i learned that one the hard way

StickyShisha2,

druminfected

just wanted to post and say awesome review weedemon! It's very detailed review and those are the ones I like the most.

I'm trying this abv extraction method I found that was claimed to be passed from medical caregivers, but it involves using long iso soak then evape and then oil is put in cold naptha and then put equal amount of room temp water in it, and shake for 20 min and then freeze and water is spose to soak up all the chlorophyll,waxes, etc. and after it's frozen you throw away the water and evap the naphtha and you are left with the oil.

Haven't tested the quality yet, but the oil is def black.

druminfected,

Abysmal Vapor

Did you used heat while purging ? Next time instead of naphta use common ethanol for 1 $ from (100ml) from pharmacy .It contains 95ml ethanol+ 5 ml water . You might wanna google absolute amber and its variations. You can try Qwethanol too.

Abysmal Vapor,

Xchadb

@Brownglass
Glass Blower
Thanks a ton man! I learned a lot from this and I havr over an ounce im ready to make some with :)

Xchadb,
Abysmal Vapor said:
Did you used heat while purging ? Next time instead of naphta use common ethanol for 1 $ from (100ml) from pharmacy .It contains 95ml ethanol+ 5 ml water . You might wanna google absolute amber and its variations. You can try Qwethanol too.

Do you have any idea as to what would be the right amount of heat, when vac purging? Thanks

SpinLover1,

weedemon

enthusiast
SpinLover1 said:
Abysmal Vapor said:

Do you have any idea as to what would be the right amount of heat, when vac purging? Thanks

While I don`t have a number for you, the correct temperature will let the oil easily bubble up and release the trapped gas when under vacuum. THe oild should be hot and molten. runny if possible!

SpinLover1 said:
Anyone have any thoughts on a hexane (or n-heptane)/ ethanol double?

I want to do hexane too! I hear because of the temps it boils at you can easily reclaim the solvent and use the same bottle over and over again!

you are planning on doing this to the butane ran extracts right? A fat and wax removal process?

weedemon,
"you are planning on doing this to the butane ran extracts right? A fat and wax removal process?"

No my game plan was to use hexane first, than after vacuum purge, add ethanol (95% beverage grade), winterize, coffee filter, than activated carbon, than coffee filter, finally syringe filter - 0.2um finally vacuum purge.

Anyways, I though hexane was for the primary extraction. Could be wrong.

Whatever goes first ethanol or hexane, im definitely doing either hexane, heptane, or pentane. Though I think I have a lead for a batch of hexane used for soy bean oil processing (so should be a good product).

SpinLover1,

weedemon

enthusiast
hexane is non polar like butane is which is hte reason I am interested in using it also. So it would make sense to do the hexane run first then the ethanol extraction 2nd.

whats this activated carbon step you mention? I do not think I have heard of that one before.

weedemon,
weedemon said:
hexane is non polar like butane is which is hte reason I am interested in using it also. So it would make sense to do the hexane run first then the ethanol extraction 2nd.

whats this activated carbon step you mention? I do not think I have heard of that one before.

I'm following the advice of "Gray Wolf" on https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=31, anyways, I'm starting to feel like this guy knows what he is talking about. Anyways, if your strictly going for quality and dont mind sacraficing a bit of quantity. Than you can add a certain amount of activated carbon (commonly used for cleaning up marinas). The activated carbon clears up some of the harshness of the smoke, making for the smoothest smoke you can imagine. I still want to do my research on this, I wonder, if activated carbon is used to clean toxins from the water, than are we loosing any cannaboinoids (sp?)? I have no way to acurately test in my position, maybe if your in a grow state you can do a side by side comparrison lab test and see what happens to the THC', CBD's, CBN's and all the rest.

SpinLover1,

weedemon

enthusiast
thanks for the link dude! heard of this forum before but i think i may need to join it! :p

weedemon,

weedemon

enthusiast
I asked vtac to add a little update to the first post. I believe the best method of extraction is butane followed by an ethanol wash.

I did this with 7 oz of abv and the result is an amazing oil that i am kind of surprised is made from abv. it's that good :)

weedemon,

YoGranMazPimp

I Vapes Hard
I began my qwiso a few days ago. Going for the week water wash and iso extraction. On day 4 of the wash. Still getting quite a bit of sediment left behind and the abv has lost some of its volume. Does it not lose any of its thc goodness in this water wash? I think of that every time i change the water and watch it go down the drain. Preparing for the dry and extraction. I was thinking to just spread it out on a cookie sheet and dry on low in the oven, watching and turning carefully. i was reading previous steps for the extraction, wasnt clear if you extract in iso with abv in its bag or the loose herb in the iso then strain...any tips for the second half of my first qwiso run?

YoGranMazPimp,
Top Bottom