Tek ABV Concentrate experiment: What method is best?

SkollIstKrieg

It's supposedly chemical resistant plastic, so nothing leeches into the product. I'd say its the same concept as a steel turkey baster setup.

SkollIstKrieg,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
Also, rather than go on a local search, I ordered 6 cans of Vector 5X butane off ebay for $6/can

I just need to grab some new pyrex dishes this week and I should be set!

JDSupreme,

stroh

errl enthusiast
Qbit said:
Abysmal Vapor said:
i use PVC pipe with awesome results :) !

Hmm, I wonder how chemically resistant it is though. :/

PVC is inert enough to use with butane, though i personally prefer a glass extractor so i can watch the progress of the butane through the buds.

stroh,

weedemon

enthusiast
taste testing initial thoughts and comments:

1. QWiso ABV: (0.5g)
- Classic Iso based hash oil taste, no real flavour to speak of
- More chunky than runny
- Smooth hitting

2. WC QWiso ABV:(0.5g)
- Classic Iso based hash oil taste, no real flavour to speak of
- Smooth hitting
- thick but clearly fluid and not chunky

3. WC 5 day freezer soak (0.8g)
- Harsh
- Sparked on the Ti plate when doing the dab
- Described as tasting like "motor oil" , I would agree it was not pleasurable tasting.
- thicker than the other WC QWiso batch

4. BHO ABV: (0.5g)
- Dry and a little harsh with a strong oil flavour (slightly nutty)
- Notable different and no iso extracted taste to come with it.
- Didn't want to stick on a hot dabber

5. WC BHO ABV (0.6g)
- Best tasting, smoothest
- Didn't want to stick on a hot dabber

So rating them from best to worst we think
Best being 1st=5 , 2nd=4, 3rd/4th=1/2 and then 5th=3 as the worst.

*the main post has been updated too!

weedemon,

akwardsauce

gold all in my chains...dont believe me just watch
wow i was way off...totally worth waiting for results...thanks weedemon!

akwardsauce,

Sour Deez

How to u taste test the BHO since u didnt dab it?

Would you dab QWISO on a nail or is the taste not worth it?

Sour Deez,

stroh

errl enthusiast
its not really the taste that isn't worth it, everyone has their preferences and some people like the taste of qwiso better. its the residue left behind on the nail/skillet from impurities in the oil that builds up very quickly when dabbing qwiso and must be cleaned periodically. BHO leaves little to no residue on hot TI.

stroh,

weedemon

enthusiast
sorry i should have mentioned these were all done with dabs.

I'd still do dabs with the others (once i run out of other material that is :D). the only one i am not so keen on is the long term iso soaked oil it picked up some nasty taste for sure!

weedemon,

Qbit

cannabanana
weedemon said:
the only one i am not so keen on is the long term iso soaked oil it picked up some nasty taste for sure!

But you can still eat it, of course.

Qbit,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
Ended up with just about 2g's of ABVQWISO. Washed 24g so just about 10%, about what I expected.

Good thing this was my rookie test run, because I let the evap dish sit somewhere that my cat walked by. Few strands of hair in it. Live and learn! Gave it to my gf who combusts and told her to top her bowls with it. She hasn't complained about it at all lol

JDSupreme,
Reactions: Hexi

Sour Deez

How dark to you vape your herb JD? 10% seems like a damn good return.

The OP was using an oz and getting back .5g

Sour Deez,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
Sour Deez said:
How dark to you vape your herb JD? 10% seems like a damn good return.

The OP was using an oz and getting back .5g

Its pretty light brown. Some of it was real dark (like black). If you take that out it was prob about a g.

JDSupreme,

weedemon

enthusiast
Qbit said:
weedemon said:
the only one i am not so keen on is the long term iso soaked oil it picked up some nasty taste for sure!

But you can still eat it, of course.

I'm not sure m8. I can't drink the bottle of iso that i made it with, so I am leery of thinking about eating it either. Now maybe I'm just being over cautious and i would in fact be fine. But I'm not willing to take that risk.

JDSupreme said:
Ended up with just about 2g's of ABVQWISO. Washed 24g so just about 10%, about what I expected.

damn that was a good return! my return was 1.78% return (0.5*28*100= 1.78%)

that must go to show the difference in people's abv remains and the potency left behind when they say it's done.

it sounds like your abv would be darker than mine even though??

weedemon,

Sour Deez

Considering when people make oil with fresh buds sometimes they get a 10% return(although i would say the average is 13-15%), so a 10% return on AVB is insanely good.

Sour Deez,

Qbit

cannabanana
weedemon said:
I'm not sure m8. I can't drink the bottle of iso that i made it with, so I am leery of thinking about eating it either. Now maybe I'm just being over cautious and i would in fact be fine. But I'm not willing to take that risk.

Yeah, you're definitely being overcautious. Iso really isn't that toxic. From a quick search I found various sources suggesting that poisoning occurs at around 15 - 20ml (or about a tablespoonful), with a fatal dose at around 250ml (or a cupful). But the amount of iso left in your hash is minuscule in comparison - absolutely nothing to worry about. I'd be more concerned about drinking a teaspoonful of vodka.

Besides, any residual iso in your hash will end up in your system whether you eat it or just vape it. Indeed, vaping it is surely worse - your digestive system is quite used to dealing with trace poisons, while you lungs are really only meant for clean air.

Qbit,

weedemon

enthusiast
good points. qbit. :)

when i concentrate this down though if there are any trace elements in it. i will be consuming a whole bottles worth of it not just the .8grams i now see in front of me. again just being cautious.

:)

weedemon,

Bouldorado

Did you try eating any of the oils straight? I've heard that you can eat plain abv and it'll get you high, though I don't how truthful that is. The theory behind that is that the abv has already been activated by the heat of the vape. If eating abv actually works, then it should hold true for the abv concentrate as well.

Also, a good way to get rid of oil is to make an alcohol tincture. I use a ratio of 1g hash/oil to 1oz everclear/high proof alcohol, which gives a fairly potent tinc. 1 ml should get you to a nice place. Just dissolve the oil into your alcohol; I use a 1-2 oz glass bottle which I either set on top of my PD or the warming plate of my coffee maker with a thin towel underneath. My only gripe about it is the taste. The only time I've enjoyed it was when I made a single serve batch with the remnants of some high grade dispensary earwax. It tastes like absolute shit with low quality oil, but its pretty easy to mask the taste with a mixer. definitely worth a try IMO.

Bouldorado,

weedemon

enthusiast
I like the sounds of the tincture method. ty for suggesting it!

nope i wont do it sorry. (eat my extracts when they are from a solvent originally) I would never do it on a solvent based extract though personally. i fear that there are things in my butane and iso that when concentrated down (exactly like i am doing with my oil extracts) then I fear i might poison myself with these things when ingested.

im willing to vape it though. haha yep i see the irony.

water based hash? for sure ill eat it! :D

weedemon,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Generally speaking, eating something is safer than inhaling it. Nature provides a blood wash through the liver for stuff we eat, a nice little survival tool, but stuff from the lungs goes straight to the heart and then the brain. So it would seem to me that vaping is inherently a more dangerous activity than eating, but who knows, I guess it depends on the substance.

t-dub

t-dub,

dannite

Durden's Own
weedemon said:
I like the sounds of the tincture method. ty for suggesting it!

nope i wont do it sorry. (eat my extracts when they are from a solvent originally) I would never do it on a solvent based extract though personally. i fear that there are things in my butane and iso that when concentrated down (exactly like i am doing with my oil extracts) then I fear i might poison myself with these things when ingested.

im willing to vape it though. haha yep i see the irony.

water based hash? for sure ill eat it! :D

As someone who is not a huge fan of ingestion I can't say I have thought about this that much, but I must say I haven't worried that much about this. As long as you know the boiling points of your solvants and whatever adulterants you have you can get rid of the contaminants. With most solvants can't you more or less guarantee they are gone by enough stirring to bring out all the bubbles? Your solvants evap pretty fast, if you are working or mixing your product to any degree shouldn't you get a full evaporation?

dannite,

dannite

Durden's Own
t-dub said:
Generally speaking, eating something is safer than inhaling it. Nature provides a blood wash through the liver for stuff we eat, a nice little survival tool, but stuff from the lungs goes straight to the heart and then the brain. So it would seem to me that vaping is inherently a more dangerous activity than eating, but who knows, I guess it depends on the substance.

t-dub

I'm no doctor, but this aligns with everything I know about the body. Your stomach can take a beating, and if it gets too bad, it will throw up for you. I think as long as you fully mix the bubbles out you don't need to worry about your solvant assuming you know its pure butane, alcohol, hexane etc. Maybe if you are working at an ambient temp of 40F it might be a problem because the solvants couldn't evap...

dannite,

Calvin

Sounds reasonable to me, as dannite was saying, your stomach has a reflex for when it has too much, but this isnt true with you lungs( well other than coughing).

Calvin,

weedemon

enthusiast
yep i hear you guys :p

but let me put it like this:

lets say there is chemical x in my can of butane, and in small doses (<30-50 p.p.m. [like inhaling off of a bic lighter]) it is completely harmless. but then lets say if the concentration were higher (300 p.p.m) it could cause organ damage.

now when i do a run of oil using a can of butane I have many many times more of chemical X in my product than I did when I used the bic. yes it was originally 30-50p.p.m, but now we have 1 cans worth or 300ml of it reduced into a 1 gram blob. Because it's concentrated down I have a whole can worth of X in this tiny 1g blob of oil.

I also have a terrible stomach as it is. I suffer from wicked heartburn and digestive issues. I have to take prescription pills to keep it under control. lets just say im aware of my stomach and it's problems.

anyways you guys are welcome to try it, but im not gonna risk it with my body, sorry.

if my solvent was originally made with the purpose of oral consumption then i would not be so on the fence on the issue. ideally i wishi could get 100% pure laboratory grade butane

weedemon,
Top Bottom