Tek ABV Concentrate experiment: What method is best?

Sour Deez

So i made brownies with an oz of abv, they knocked me on my ass, felt like i took ambien or something, but the taste wasnt that good.

Im thinking about doing an iso wash next time on the oz, then using that oil to infuse in the butter instead of all that vaped material. That should work right?

And after looking at your picture, my abv is def darker then yours

Sour Deez,

weedemon

enthusiast
oh yeah im definitely gonna give a conclusion, im just not sure when i will get it posted. :p

weedemon,

akwardsauce

gold all in my chains...dont believe me just watch
Sour Deez said:
Im thinking about doing an iso wash next time on the oz, then using that oil to infuse in the butter instead of all that vaped material. That should work right?

that should work!

just make sure you try to get all the iso out before consuming it (shouldnt be too hard)!

EDIT: if you dont want to use iso, i heard that water curing your ABV, then using it as you would regularly make butter will work well & get rid of the taste (the water curing gets rid of most of the flavor). that would eliminate the whole iso stuff, but you would have to still strain your stuff out of your butter (or maybe leave it in since its flavorless!)...

akwardsauce,

Qbit

cannabanana
Erm, Weedemon, don't actually go tossing any hash oil you make, no matter how gross it is to vape. Just eat it instead, of course.

Qbit,

akwardsauce

gold all in my chains...dont believe me just watch
this is kind of a weird question, but has anyone ever tried to reclaim BHO residue with ISO? for instance, lets say you have an eclipse vape and you put a dot of BHO (budder or oil) in a vial, then for some reason change your mind or something...

instead of taking it out & putting it in something else, has anyone tried to wash the vial with iso & evap it later (or mix it with some brown ISO & evap that batch which contains butane extracted & iso extracted in the same mixture)?

it makes sense that everything should evap away except the good stuff, but im just wondering if there is any taste difference or anything else to think about...

akwardsauce,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
^ if its already in a vial and you change your mind then simply put the cap on the vial! come back later and your stuff will still be in the vial and it will be just fine! vials are meant for storage.

i'm pretty sure that whatever is left in the vial after a session is stained on and completely used up, its not worth trying to recover - not even if you have an (in)tolerance like lwien :p
think how small a vial is, vs how much abv you need to make a decent amount of reclaimed oil...

now if you are talking about using iso to reclaim the buildup in a waterpipe then by all means this is a great method! you should use one piece specifically for concentrates and only use it for that. then let it build up naturally until it either stops functioning properly, or your patience runs out. then use the highest grade iso you can get (99% is avail.) and use as little as possible to swill out the waterpipe. collect the swill in a dish, evap with a fan, or a fan + a low temp heat. this is best method to reclaim if you want to revape it.

otherwise, i would use some everclear and swill it out into a dish, then you could use the results in some form of edibles.

notmyrealUSERname,

stroh

errl enthusiast
akwardsauce said:
this is kind of a weird question, but has anyone ever tried to reclaim BHO residue with ISO? for instance, lets say you have an eclipse vape and you put a dot of BHO (budder or oil) in a vial, then for some reason change your mind or something...

instead of taking it out & putting it in something else, has anyone tried to wash the vial with iso & evap it later (or mix it with some brown ISO & evap that batch which contains butane extracted & iso extracted in the same mixture)?

it makes sense that everything should evap away except the good stuff, but im just wondering if there is any taste difference or anything else to think about...

haha lots of people use ISO to reclaim from BHO, and also i think what you are getting at is using ISO to further refine the BHO product? What i've heard some people do is blast their BHO run straight into some ISO alcohol, than filter into a pyrex dish and evaporate. since butane is non-polar, it will extract all the good stuff while leaving behind the unwanted stuff EXCEPT for plant fats and waxes. Alcohol, being a polar solvent, will not absorb these, but will extract all the cannabinoids and other actives. never tried this technique myself, but maybe i will play around with it in the future.

stroh,

weedemon

enthusiast
stroh said:
haha lots of people use ISO to reclaim from BHO, and also i think what you are getting at is using ISO to further refine the BHO product? What i've heard some people do is blast their BHO run straight into some ISO alcohol, than filter into a pyrex dish and evaporate. since butane is non-polar, it will extract all the good stuff while leaving behind the unwanted stuff EXCEPT for plant fats and waxes. Alcohol, being a polar solvent, will not absorb these, but will extract all the cannabinoids and other actives. never tried this technique myself, but maybe i will play around with it in the future.

fascinating! thanks for sharing that with us man :) i just hate how long it takes for the iso to evap. :( pisses me off haha where do terpenes fit into this? they are responsible for the buds flavour/smell right? iso is still tasty right? never had iso that made the think it was better than bho. as far as i am currently concerned bho is king :p

weedemon,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
weedemon i suggest if you have some of that dark iso second wash or long soak which is not tasty,.. i confirm that water curing it will make it tasty again and 100 tonnes brighter :) . Also it becomes less sticky like melted bubble hash .. u can model it into shapes... it does not stick to your fingers ..I remember you saying smth like you want to throw some away :)..

Abysmal Vapor,

stroh

errl enthusiast
im not sure how the terpenes play into this, i would assume they would be dissolved in the butane and then redissolved in the alcohol, but i have yet to try any oil made with this technique. i too hate how long it takes for ISO to evaporate, and it is much easier to get impatient, turn up the heat a little bit, and then evaporate a bunch of the more volatile terps. perhaps next time i do a run which should be this weekend, i will run 2 or 3 grams in my normal way, and then 2-3 into the alcohol and compare results

stroh,

stroh

errl enthusiast
i'll be sure to post results if i decide to do it, can't really see much going wrong with it though. some nice fresh oil will be good though, been puffing on reclaim which is pretty unsatisfactory

stroh,
youre the man putting all the time and effort into this and sharing it with the world
I dont know this as a fact but i would think the bho is the most potent so even though it only yielded .6g it could probably last you just as long as that .8 cause its less potent i dunno just a though
how did that bho turn out ? what consistency
youre the man!

chronicconnection,

stroh

errl enthusiast
i dont think ISO or BHO is any more potent than the other, it all depends on the starting material used, its not like one solvent is going to magically make the actives extracted more potent. that being said, i agree that BHO has a different high to it, but i attribute this to less plant matter extracted since butane is a non-polar solvent

and with that being said, weedemon is indeed the man for this extensive experiment!

stroh,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
Just washed 24g of straight abv with freezing cold 91% iso. Here's what it looks like so far....

I will weigh what I get and report back.

Mad props to your experiment Weedemon!!

JDSupreme,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Well, having not noticed this thread before, I am wishing I had at least seen it prior to my qwiso washes last night...That being said, I think they have/will come out great, at least that's how it looks :p

If you would like, take a look at my TrainWreck QWISO project. It's my first QWISO attempt, and I think it's gonna be good. The thread title is "Can I QWISO a glycerin extract?" but it kind of turned into something else...

Weedemon, It seems like you've put in a LOT of work with this, excited to hear more about it! :peace:

Purpl3_Haz3,

Qbit

cannabanana
@weedemon

So when are we getting a report of the quality of the products? I want to know how the extracts from the water-cured abv turned out.

Qbit,

weedemon

enthusiast
hehe your in luck! i am bringing them all over to my friends house for some dabs tomorrow! I will try to get the quality testing done then!

I can't promise that though! :p

cheers to all the compliments too nice to hear you guys think this was worth while doing.

weedemon,

StickyShisha2

i know my "Dark Oil" helps me sleep. and i use it for that, but lately i used it in coconut oil for topical applications. have it messaged in and you will be pain free for hours

StickyShisha2,

Qbit

cannabanana
weedemon said:
cheers to all the compliments too nice to hear you guys think this was worth while doing.

Hey as soon as we get the taste test. Then it will have been worth while doing. :p :D

Qbit,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
Ok here's a shot of the fan enhanced evap process....

And here's a closeup of the dark oil. Some areas are way darker than others...

Not totally dry yet. I'll weigh it soon. Used 24g abv

JDSupreme,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Keep us posted JD! I've got a shitload of ABV and this seems like a good way to process it.

:peace:

Stu,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
I'm so pumped about diving into concentrates. NEVER see them around here. Grabbed an Eclipse H2O and a Honey Bee Extractor off eBay today. Next weekend should be fun :D

JDSupreme,

SkollIstKrieg

I have a honey bee extractor and have had it for six months. I am totally 100% happy with it, I believe it works very well! Also JD thats usually exactly what my end product looks like with iso, should be good! However honey oil is very different, I personally prefer BHO over qwiso, but I make both anyways :)

EDIT:
To add to the conversation a bit more, I think BHO and qwiso are both excellent methods for making concentrates. In my trial and error with both I found fan and natural evaporation creates the finest end product.

BHO to me is like the desert of thc consumption. It looks like liquefied caramel and if made with the right trim/bud, comes out tasting very sweet. In my experience, it tasted exactly how the bud had smelled in the first place. Most times it hits the chest pretty hard though. However, from what I've made and tried, there are varying degrees of harshness to how the oil is made, it really comes down to the bud used to make it. The downsides of BHO, good butane is more expensive and harder to find than Iso, you also need some kind of extractor for it.

qwiso is like the meatyness of the meal. Most times I make it with ABV, or make it with reclaim. It usually tastes pretty good, very planty tasting if made well and close to how it smells but it does not taste as good as BHO in my experience. It hits hard, sometimes not as hard as BHO and sometimes harder. Most times to me this is more of a sativa like effect where I feel more awake and aware. Downsides, the dark oil tends to turn off a lot of newbies to the oil scene, at least in my area. Usually the BHO is much more attractive. Also does taste as good and takes ~24-48 to fully evaporate naturally.to a fan, wheras BHO is minutes.

Overall, I say try and make both. I tend to make BHO if I have a very high quality trim/bud, and I mean really good stuff. Most times when I make qwiso its with mids and sometimes highgrade trim but most times its just ABV or reclaim. I feel like qwiso runs can also pull a little more product than BHO, however there is risk of pulling other bad stuff out of the plant matter if it soaks too long in the iso.

SkollIstKrieg,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Is that Honey Bee Extractor supposed to be better than a turkey baster? I've never tried either, I'm just curious.

Stu,
Top Bottom