Tek ABV Concentrate experiment: What method is best?

weedemon

enthusiast
Update: 2012-03-16

Hello! This is a slight amendment I have discovered since creating this thread that the best way to treat your abv is to do a butane extraction, and then dissolve that in ethanol (to extract the fats and waxes the butane extracted). filter and purge. this will leave you with oil that you will be just amazed with. the time and effort to make it is worth it! The taste and effect that this cbd/cbn rich concentrate has is very effective! especially when combined with something that has a standard, or regular thc dose to compliment it!

The experiment was fun and still a worthwhile read. enjoy. :)

ABV Oil Extraction experiment: QWiso vs Water cure with QWiso vs water cure iso in freezer vs bho vs water cured oz as bho.

Purpose:

To determine which method of extraction will perform the best regarding yield, taste, potency and overall final product

the 5 methods of extraction will be as follows:

1. Quick Wash iso extraction. 1 oz of abv, + iso in the freezer and a 30second shake and strain

2. An oz ran as bho normally

3. An oz water cured abv for a week with daily water changing + 5 days in the freezer iso extraction

4. An oz water cured abv for a week with daily water changing + Quick Wash iso extraction.

5. An oz water cured abv for a week with daily water changing + An oz ran as bho

Hypothesis:

-The batches that have not been water cured will have the largest yield, yet be less desirable quality wise.

-I think the BHO oil will be of better quality than the ISO.

I think the water cured iso will be better than the regular abv iso oil.

Materials:

-5 oz of abv

-3 mason jars to water cure and make ISOhash with

-1 bho/QWiso extraction kits: Plates, razor, vice grips lighter, butane, 99% isopropyl alcohol... Whatever you use normally will be fine.

-5 Vials to contain and weigh the final product

-scale (mine is only accurate to 0.1g)

-freezer

-hot tap water for water baths

Method:

Water cure preparation:

1. Shake container of abv to mix it all well together

2. Weigh out 3 one oz quantities of abv

3. Put abv into panty hose and tie them off

4. submerge in the mason jars with room temperature water. Once waterlogged top up with water and seal the mason jars up

5. Place in a dark location at room temperature

6. replace the water and rinse the jars after 24 hours. Repeat every day for the week

7. After 1 week drain and dry out the final product

8. and oven on the lowers heat setting done in 5 minute batches with turning and cooling seemed to work really well. The process took about 80 minutes

QWiso prep:

1. place ISO(99%) and abv(in mason jars) into freezer the day before extraction is to take place

2. pour in enough iso to cover all the abv in the jar and fasten on the lid

3. shake very vigorously for 30 seconds.

4. drain and filter.

5. evaporate and collect product

Long Soak prep:

1. Freeze the iso and abv with the other jars.

2. Pour in iso to the level of the abv and let it soak for the desired amount of time. I am going with 5 days because it was convenient timing wise

3. drain and filter

4. evaporate and collect product

BHO prep:

1. place abv/wc-abv into extraction tube and run as you would normally

2. once butane is running clear, stop running fuel and wait for final drips

3. evaporate and purge

4 collection

Observations:

Water cure process:
On days one, two and three of the Water cure the water was a very dark and smelled very strong. it was not a very pleasant smell either. I would describe it as an ammonia type smell

the colour intensity began to diminish. I can still see particulate floating in the water. there is sediment on the bottom of the jars and when I pick them up I disturb the water and they mix back up. I assume this is actually pieces of marijuana that are small enough to pass the mesh size of the panty hose. (This will attribute towards a degree of the loss when I weigh the "oz" again after drying.)

when I took the abv out of the panty hose "tea bags" I noticed the abv was markedly much more green than it was when I originally put it in a week ago.

I used the oven at the lowest setting (170F) and cooked it at 5 min intervals with stirring and cooling between each cook. It took about an hour and 20 minutes to get it all dry.After cooking it looked less green and more like black tea. It has noticeably lost it's golden brown colour that it started out with.

I re-weighed the 3 oz of abv i had water cured and they each lost about 34% of their original weight. (I was worried I had lost goodies from this process and yield would be reduced.)

* only performed 1 wash on all samples. this was because I didn't want to handle the materials again or waste iso and butane on them for such a small return.

Water cure BHO:
I was luckily enough able to fit the entire oz into the baster so I only had to do 1 run.
I was surprised at the level of brown green colour coming out when the butane first started running though the end of the tube. It nearly consumed the entire 300 ml can of butane in the process.

Amount produced: 0.6g

ABV BHO:
This had to be done in 2 runs, as it would not all fit in my tube in one go. This ran the more expected brown colour. Only required 1 can also even though 2 runs were done.
Amount produced: 0.5g

Water cure QWISO:
Purging took place in a hot water bath on the stove with the ventilation fan on max. I DO NOT recommend evaporating indoors. the purging after the alcohol has gone is fine. the process took 30 min

Water cure 5 days freezer iso soak:
Purging took place in a hot water bath on the stove with the ventilation fan on max. I DO NOT recommend evaporating indoors. the purging after the alcohol has gone is fine. the process took 30 min

Amount produced:0.8

ABV QWISO:
Purging took place in a hot water bath on the stove with the ventilation fan on max. I DO NOT recommend evaporating indoors. the purging after the alcohol has gone is fine. the process took 40 min. This is longer than the other ones because more iso was needed to cover the volume that the abv took up compared to water cured abv.

Picture: 1= BHO 2= W.C BHO 3= W.C QWISO 4= QWISO 5= W.C.ISO
2w6udf4.jpg

Conclusions:

*the best type of reclaimed oil to make would seem to be the Water cured BHO oil for taste and getting a slight yield perk over standard non water cured runs (0.6 vs. 0.5 return). the water curing process did indeed improve the flavour and smoothness of the dabs.

Water curing your abv seems to increase the return in your yield with BHO, but not with QWISO. (No 5 day soak for regular abv was done to compare against the 0.8g return.)

Water cured abv soaked in iso for 5 days gave the largest amount with 0.8 grams of oil produced. The Water cured BHO method came in second at 0.6 grams

Water cured vs standard abv in a QWiso returned the same yield, however other methods that had been water cured did return higher than non water cured material (BHO)

taste testing initial thoughts and comments:

1. QWiso ABV: (0.5g)
- Classic Iso based hash oil taste, no real flavour to speak of
- More chunky than runny
- Smooth hitting

2. WC QWiso ABV:(0.5g)
- Classic Iso based hash oil taste, no real flavour to speak of
- Smooth hitting
- thick but clearly fluid and not chunky

3. WC 5 day freezer soak (0.8g)
- Harsh
- Sparked on the Ti plate when doing the dab
- Described as tasting like "motor oil" , I would agree it was not pleasurable tasting.
- thicker than the other WC QWiso batch

4. BHO ABV: (0.5g)
- Dry and a little harsh with a strong oil flavour (slightly nutty)
- Notable different and no iso extracted taste to come with it.
- Didn't want to stick on a hot dabber

5. WC BHO ABV (0.6g)
- Best tasting, smoothest
- Didn't want to stick on a hot dabber

So rating them from best to worst we think
Best being 1st=5 , 2nd=4, 3rd/4th=1/2 and then 5th=3 as the worst.

Errors and comments:

It would have been nice to have used a scale with better accuracy because the 0.01g readings would be a little more interesting for comparison.

A 6th run should have been done with an oz done in a frozen iso soak for 5 days along side with the water cured batch. This would allow us to compare the yield of that fairly against the 0.8 gram that came from the water cured batch. I know it would be nasty and gross oil, which is why I didn't want to do it.

concern: personally, I have always questioned the water cure method because I have done ice water hash extractions before. I know the cold temp helps make the crystals break off more easily, but I think it still happens in water of any temperature. It happens in my jars and bags I get my buds in and that's just in the air. I was careful not to be too rough with the sacks of abv when changing the water. This so far seems not to be true. in the case of the BHO runs, the water cured batch out performed the regular abv bho run. I think more tests need to be repeated before we can definitively say these findings are solid. but they are what I have found so far.

I suggest you all do the comparisons you are interested in and report back to us with your findings too!

ABV info:
about 40% of the abv was made using a volcano of various "a" grade strains i could get my hands on (i only want the best herbs i can get) the rest is made from the ssv, mflb, pd probably in that order too.

155ns7k.jpg

treecityrnd

Impressive write-up. Man I need more time to collect data like this :rolleyes:
Nice methodology.
I would love to assess other dependent variables like taste during vaporization, potency and efficacy across the different extractions.

treecityrnd,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Would be rather interested to see the taste report.

Great experiment man!

AGBeer,

Irie

Chant Down Babylon
Killer Weedemon.
Thanks for doing this, look forward to taste and effect. Enjoy the experimenting...

Irie,

lepstadder

nice work

but of course the longer the soak in iso the more you will yield, iso is gona extract more no matter what due to its polarity as a solvent...

lepstadder,

weedemon

enthusiast
lepstadder said:
nice work

but of course the longer the soak in iso the more you will yield, iso is gona extract more no matter what due to its polarity as a solvent...

yep i totally agree.

i am only doing the run in the name of science. i actually will probably only try a hit (again for science) but throw the rest of the long term iso soaked abv that hasn't been watered cured. who knows maybe i will be surprised by all the others. :) I just need a baseline for comparison against the water cured batch.

weedemon,

Qbit

cannabanana
Top shit Weedemon! :cool: Really impressed with your exacting technique. We need more people doing these kinds of basic science experiments to further our knowledge of the herb and its uses.

But yeah I'm also waiting on the taste test. 0.8 grams for the water cured 5 day iso soak is very interesting, but does that mean more contaminants or more and smoother hash oil? But I guess you're working on the answers to such questions.

Qbit,

akwardsauce

gold all in my chains...dont believe me just watch
wow i cant believe i missed this!!! ive been waiting for this info for so long...

i cant wait for the quality tests either! i have a lil abv to work with and am waiting for results so that i can choose which method will give me the best taste/most amount combination for me to use. i just recently tried bho budder for the first time & LOVE it. ive been lucky enough to sample some other concentrates, too so i think i have a better grip on what i like/dont like...but its pretty much all good.

looking at the streak test, my hypothesis for the rank (quality-wise - since we already know the winners quantity-wise) is like this:

best
worst

i guess that is my guess for for taste & effect...

what do you guys think?

thanks again weedemon! i have a feeling a lot of people will be finding this post in the future...you may become a guru on this subject!

akwardsauce,

sundaddy

Could you post a picture of what your ABV looked like before testing?I'm interested to see how much it had been vaped.

sundaddy,
Reactions: VapoRoor

akwardsauce

hey weedemon, if you just whip the BHO ABV, would it turn into "budder"? i sort of just tried this "budder" stuff & kinda fell in love...

EDIT: i also did some reading & head that you can whip iso into budder...has anyone tried this or know if its true?

akwardsauce,

weedemon

enthusiast
i don't really know how to make budder, my oil just does it naturally or it doesn't. I also like how is is easier to handle when it does though!

maybe hit me up on email to discuss this further? :)

weedemon,

sundaddy

Hey, still interested in what your ABV looks like before processing, and physical characteristics of the test results. (taste as well as buzz)

sundaddy,

weedemon

enthusiast
ill try to get a shot tomorrow timing has not been working for me as of late. :S

*edit:
finally a day to get a pic of the abv for you.

weedemon,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I just tried to water cure 1 hour iso soak in the frezzer .. Results from 12 hours cure.. the top layer is almost light brown.. Sry i cannot include pics.. but i will report .. I plant to leave a small amout to cure another 3 days .. I will report results.. I also tried a quick warm water cure.. and the a water cure via mirrowave.
The oil starts floating that's why i discontinued the first warm cure.. Then i decided to add half of it in the microwave.. and it floated on top into oil (like cooking oil in water/ soup ) then i sticked it in the freezer and the stuff dropped on bottom like when you make ice hash... i poured the water and dried.. :) Didn't taste bad at all.. compared to the starting product...
I think it might be confusing so i add just in case :)/.. I do not cure the abv.. i cure the extact...

Abysmal Vapor,

akwardsauce

weedemon said:
lepstadder said:
nice work

yep i totally agree.

i am only doing the run in the name of science. i actually will probably only try a hit (again for science) but throw the rest of the long term iso soaked abv that hasn't been watered cured. who knows maybe i will be surprised by all the others. :) I just need a baseline for comparison against the water cured batch.

weedemon, honestly if i were you, id skip this one. it will be such a waste. ive done it before (not with 1oz ABV, but a decent amount) and it definitely has a large yield, but it is thick, black, and gross. almost the consistency of like a super sticky black yogurt at room temp. when heated to liquify to drop on something, it is thick shiny black oil like used motor oil if youve ever done an oil change or something before (its just like that but a little more thicker). but i understand if you want to do it just for the thoroughness of the experiment.

maybe, what you should do is a 1/4 oz (a well mixed sample of) ABV, and multiply it by 4 to get the approx weight. i guarantee you will not even want to hit it & will probably throw it straight away.

but the taste of the others is definitely needed...im waiting to do my batch up based on results (im really not in a super hurry, though - i can do it anytime because its about 1/2 mid level ganja my ABV batch).

akwardsauce,

Abysmal Vapor

maybe, what you should do is a 1/4 oz (a well mixed sample of) ABV, and multiply it by 4 to get the approx weight. i guarantee you will not even want to hit it & will probably throw it straight away.

but the taste of the others is definitely needed...im waiting to do my batch up based on results (im really not in a super hurry, though - i can do it anytime because its about 1/2 mid level ganja my ABV batch).

That is the reason i am doing water cure of the extract.. It is smelling like a goat... :puke: But after 12 hour cure the taste is only a fraction nasty of what it was.. :) So i will w8 more.. The microwave cure test was smooth too... almost tasteless..

Abysmal Vapor,

akwardsauce

Abysmal Vapor said:

That is the reason i am doing water cure of the extract.. It is smelling like a goat... :puke: But after 12 hour cure the taste is only a fraction nasty of what it was.. :) So i will w8 more.. The microwave cure test was smooth too... almost tasteless..

but dont you think the microwave may destroy some of the desired cannabinoids? i cant think of any reasons to do this way...its almost like making a tea, then throwing it away, then iso the remainder, right? thats what it sounds like to me...am i misunderstanding you?

i wonder how much that affects the yield, if at all...

akwardsauce,

Abysmal Vapor

As long as it is under water in the microwave i dont think there is a chance that temps go too high..
The yield in the microwave attempt was reduced with 1/3 but also the color came brighter.. The water cure in room temp of the same batch is not white brown on the top layer .. So i think that the dark color is where the bad taste comes from :) ..
Also water becomes smelly and light brown too.. so i guess it is taking smth away.. Smth water soluable..
I dont iso the reminder i put in the freezer. and scrape after that its very easy...
Microwave cure..
Drop iso hash in shot glass heat the bottom so it can melt then add water..
Then put in the microwave till the oil floats on top. then you can roll the oil on a stick or just pour out the water whitout spilling any oil (it is not hard) :) .. and put in the freezer (it will drop to the bottom like ice hash )then pour out water , again freeze if needed .. then scrape..
Room temp water cure
Drop hash in shot glass melt it or make it more flat with you fingers.. then add water.. and wait after few hours you will start to see the upper layer becoming lighter and the water darker..

Abysmal Vapor,

akwardsauce

aaah...ok i understand now...that is an interesting method also...

so youre basically doing the water solubles cure AFTER the iso extraction.

funny i was actually thinking about going in that order earlier (non polar then polar filtering) and was thinking the best way to do it was with my separatory funnel (if i still have it somewhere). that way it would be more efficient (but its usually an expensive glass piece). it would be really easy to do the butter extraction with that equipment because of the density differences between butter & water. ether & water would be good also, but if you had some ether...you could try having a different kind of fun...(btw, ive never done & it dont recommend it either).

akwardsauce,

Abysmal Vapor

akwardsauce said:
aaah...ok i understand now...that is an interesting method also...

so youre basically doing the water solubles cure AFTER the iso extraction.

funny i was actually thinking about going in that order earlier (non polar then polar filtering) and was thinking the best way to do it was with my separatory funnel (if i still have it somewhere). that way it would be more efficient (but its usually an expensive glass piece). it would be really easy to do the butter extraction with that equipment because of the density differences between butter & water. ether & water would be good also, but if you had some ether...you could try having a different kind of fun...(btw, ive never done & it dont recommend it either).
Don't do too much.. :cool:! in unsafe environment.. I remember one guy in my home town broke 330 ml ether bottle in a party club.. No one remember that night i bet...
And i thing ether has its own nasties as iso does.. So i think that will further pollute it.. Clean chemicals are very expensive to obtain.. and they will be used for other things rather than mj extraction ;) :2c:

Abysmal Vapor,

weedemon

enthusiast
im glad to hear you say that as i agree it is a waste. and think the oil would be nasty too lol.

:D

btw I can tell you what non water cured bho abv tastes like. it is slightly harsher/drier than regular bho, it has a toasted nutty flavour and packs a wallop :) it's a different level than regular bho. I imagine it has higher cbd / cbn content and is why. I like it. On to water cured abv bho. :)

I predict the quality test will come out

Best 2,1,3,4/5 worst

4 and 5 are a toss up i dunno what will be grosser lol! i feel i must apoligize. I have a lot of nice strains around me and when i think about getting blazed i never think to use my experiment oils. a buddy is going to join me for the sampling and testing so it will me more than just me going at it. :)

weedemon,

akwardsauce

weedemon said:
im glad to hear you say that as i agree it is a waste. and think the oil would be nasty too lol.

:D

btw I can tell you what non water cured bho abv tastes like. it is slightly harsher/drier than regular bho, it has a toasted nutty flavour and packs a wallop :) it's a different level than regular bho. I imagine it has higher cbd / cbn content and is why. I like it. On to water cured abv bho. :)

I predict the quality test will come out

Best 2,1,3,4/5 worst

4 and 5 are a toss up i dunno what will be grosser lol! i feel i must apoligize. I have a lot of nice strains around me and when i think about getting blazed i never think to use my experiment oils. a buddy is going to join me for the sampling and testing so it will me more than just me going at it. :)

wow...seems like your ranking predictions are so much different than mine...but i based mine off of the streak tests alone (not my own reasoning).

ya you should get some people to try it with you & make it like the first hit of the day for taste/effect...then just donate to them if you dont want it (if there are people out there scraping resin, im sure any of these would be a HUGE step up)...it would be a shame to do all this work and not make a conclusion...it seemed like a lot of work and took about 2 - 3 weeks for it to be all said & done!

akwardsauce,
Top Bottom