Which Log??

Razhumikin

I have the couchlog, both kinds of GTRs, a heat island, an Alpha+dog, a SC3 dog, and an enano, so I feel like I have a good perspective on this.

I would say that the Heat Island, SC3, and enano all have pretty similar profiles, being very enjoyable micro-to-medium-dosers, and I would rank them in the following order :
1. Heat Island
2. Underdog SC3
3. Enano

The Heat Island and the SC3 are more or less indistinguishable in terms of vapor, but I prefer the Heat Island's stems and construction (although it should be noted the stems are all interchangeable between these 3). The enano is a little more temperamental and harder to get a perfect roast dialed in, and I really dont like the chords and power supply of the enano relative to the generic chords you can buy for the UD and HI.

The Alpha+ dog's is basically the same design principles as the vapes in the paragraph above, but with a much bigger heater and longer airpath, so it feels more like at traditional log but with a lot more power. It takes a long time to get fully heat soaked (45 min-ish), but you can start to hit it around 20 minutes in, it will just have a bit more refractory time. After being fully heat soaked, I can take 4 or five full, huge bong rips before noticing any cool down. Its truly a beast, and I really enjoy this vape.

The GTRs and the Couchlog, while not similar to each other, represent a kind of next generation of the log vape that has emerged. As opposed to traditional log vapes with cartridge heaters, these vapes seek to create more potent heat stores, albeit through different means (The couchlog uses ceramic beads around the heater and the GTR has a SS foil insulation). The result of this is that, unlike the traditional vapes, where you slowly draw heat out of the cartridge, there is a more instantaneous heat transfer, allowing for more efficient extraction. There is room for both kinds of log vapes in my routine, as sometimes I prefer the less powerful sessions, but if you are only going to have one log I would definitely recommend one from this generation. Despite them all being very powerful log vapes, the couchlog and the GTRs are truly very different; hell, even the male and female GTR are super different, and they have the same heating element! It really all boils down to what you are looking for, if you want all the bells and whistles, I would say the couchlog is the most luxurious vape on the market, but if you want the best bang for your buck, whichever GTR best suits your use case is probably your best bet.

Last edited:

GoldenBud

The GTRs and the Couchlog, while not similar to each other, represent a kind of next generation of the log vape that has emerged. As opposed to traditional log vapes with cartridge heaters, these vapes seek to create more potent heat stores, albeit through different means (The couchlog uses ceramic beads around the heater and the GTR has a SS foil insulation). The result of this is that, unlike the traditional vapes, where you slowly draw heat out of the cartridge, there is a more instantaneous heat transfer, allowing for more efficient extraction.
definately the next generation! spot on! bigger heaters in the same or almost the same housing size.... shorter draws are needed, i am waiting for my first next gen log....

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
definately the next generation! spot on! bigger heaters in the same or almost the same housing size.... shorter draws are needed, i am waiting for my first next gen log....

Yes exactly, still such an adjustment for me with the GTR -F, running mine very low, still very quick draws with a basket screen load!

Texus

I have the couchlog, both kinds of GTRs, a heat island, an Alpha+dog, a SC3 dog, and an enano, so I feel like I have a good perspective on this.

I would say that the Heat Island, SC3, and enano all have pretty similar profiles, being very enjoyable micro-to-medium-dosers, and I would rank them in the following order :
1. Heat Island
2. Underdog SC3
3. Enano

The Heat Island and the SC3 are more or less indistinguishable in terms of vapor, but I prefer the Heat Island's stems and construction (although it should be noted the stems are all interchangeable between these 3). The enano is a little more temperamental and harder to get a perfect roast dialed in, and I really dont like the chords and power supply of the enano relative to the generic chords you can buy for the UD and HI.

The Alpha+ dog's is basically the same design principles as the vapes in the paragraph above, but with a much bigger heater and longer airpath, so it feels more like at traditional log but with a lot more power. Its truly a beast, and I really enjoy this vape.

The GTRs and the Couchlog, while not similar to each other, represent a kind of next generation of the log vape that has emerged. As opposed to traditional log vapes with cartridge heaters, these vapes seek to create more potent heat stores, albeit through different means (The couchlog uses ceramic beads around the heater and the GTR has a SS foil insulation). The result of this is that, unlike the traditional vapes, where you slowly draw heat out of the cartridge, there is a more instantaneous heat transfer, allowing for more efficient extraction. There is room for both kinds of log vapes in my routine, as sometimes I prefer the less powerful sessions, but if you are only going to have one log I would definitely recommend one from this generation. Despite them all being very powerful log vapes, the couchlog and the GTRs are truly very different; hell, even the male and female GTR are super different, and they have the same heating element! It really all boils down to what you are looking for, if you want all the bells and whistles, I would say the couchlog is the most luxurious vape on the market, but if you want the best bang for your buck, whichever GTR best suits your use case is probably your best bet.
What would really help the Couchlog is for the power supply to match the log wood. The matching power dial and the flared metal base on the XL E-Nano are really really sharp.

Oh and I like that VVPS power supply is now optional from Underdog. I just went straight to plugging my standard Underdog into my REFC ATM power module (these can be two bay and also power Collyland, Halo, Herborizer Ti and more).

Razhumikin

What would really help the Couchlog is for the power supply to match the log wood. The matching power dial and the flared metal base on the XL E-Nano are really really sharp.

Oh and I like that VVPS power supply is now optional from Underdog. I just went straight to plugging my standard Underdog into my REFC ATM power module (these can be two bay and also power Collyland, Halo, Herborizer Ti and more).
If you get an oak couchlog the power supply will match. I have 2 couchlogs, an oak and a blackwood, and I couldnt really say one is more beautiful than the other. The oak is not a downgrade, believe me. Honestly though, I always keep my power supply upside down on the bottom of the little metal table I keep my couchlog on, and therefore out of sight. The magnets are such a great feature for saving space, its not something I anticipated I would like as much as I did when I first ordered it.

Personally, I strongly dislike the way the enano XL looks, but thats just my preference.

Last edited:

Texus

If you get an oak couchlog the power supply will match. I have 2 couchlogs, an oak and a blackwood, and I couldnt really say one is more beautiful than the other. The oak is not a downgrade, believe me. Honestly though, I always keep my power supply upside down on the bottom of the little metal table I keep my couchlog on, and therefore out of sight. The magnets are such a great feature for saving space, its not something I anticipated I would like as much as I did when I first ordered it.

Personally, I strongly dislike the way the enano XL looks, but thats just my preference.
I'll need to disentangle the poer cord from where the XL is now, but the matching maple on mine looks sooo nice. And love the transparent dial on the power supply. We will agree to disagree there. Heck originally, I wished that my XL had more burl. Maybe it was bad lighting or something, but the more I look at it, I am liking that grain more and more.

Ralph

1. Heat Island
2. Underdog SC3
3. Enano

The Alpha+ dog's is basically the same design principles as the vapes in the paragraph above, but with a much bigger heater and longer airpath, so it feels more like at traditional log but with a lot more power. It takes a long time to get fully heat soaked (45 min-ish), but you can start to hit it around 20 minutes in, it will just have a bit more refractory time. After being fully heat soaked, I cant take 4 or five full, huge bong rips before noticing any cool down. Its truly a beast, and I really enjoy this vape.

Have you got a chance to try the Musa yet? Seems to be in the next generation category as well. I've narrowed mine down to the Musa, Couch log and the GTR.

Razhumikin

Have you got a chance to try the Musa yet? Seems to be in the next generation category as well. I've narrowed mine down to the Musa, Couch log and the GTR.
No, i really wanna try one though. Im several months out on the waitlist at least, so itll be a while probably. Tobias is a super nice guy and the 510 is really wonderful, so i have confidence the V2 is a great unit.

Razhumikin,
Reactions: pomogirl

Ralph

No, i really wanna try one though. Im several months out on the waitlist at least, so itll be a while probably. Tobias is a super nice guy and the 510 is really wonderful, so i have confidence the V2 is a great unit.

That's awesome that you're on the waitlist. You really like the Log platform. I'm in Anvil heaven currently and want to try a log again. I never used my wood scents through water, and that's how I like to vape now.

staircase slight of hand

Hope it’s ok to piggyback on this topic: Are there any logs with just a ground glass joint as the stem connection point? I’ve been tempted by logs for years, but have always found the proprietary connections off-putting (not to mention confusing).

What I’d love is to be able to use one with a waterpiece that has a 14mm male joint and a basket screen at the top of the joint, with the log inverted over the joint (basically the way I use a Tetra-X). Is there anything keeping logs from being designed like this?

Razhumikin

Hope it’s ok to piggyback on this topic: Are there any logs with just a ground glass joint as the stem connection point? I’ve been tempted by logs for years, but have always found the proprietary connections off-putting (not to mention confusing).

What I’d love is to be able to use one with a waterpiece that has a 14mm male joint and a basket screen at the top of the joint, with the log inverted over the joint (basically the way I use a Tetra-X). Is there anything keeping logs from being designed like this?
The female GTR and the Highlighter both have 18mm female glass connections.

Oil420FL

I don’t own one, but I believe the iHeat is also 18mm. It’s an older design by Alan for heating quickly vs. higher heat output of the GTR. Can someone who owns one confirm? (It’s why I need both says the VAS voice in my head :-P

Oil420FL,
Reactions: GoldenBud

GoldenBud

I don’t own one, but I believe the iHeat is also 18mm. It’s an older design by Alan for heating quickly vs. higher heat output of the GTR. Can someone who owns one confirm? (It’s why I need both says the VAS voice in my head :-P
yeah the iHeat / iHeat 510 is a real on-demand vape, if you take a slow draw you can start without any preheat

GoldenBud,
Reactions: Oil420FL

Razhumikin

The iheat is 18mm female but its not a log, its instant on demand instead of always on. It fucking rules though.

Shit Snacks

Also technically the GTR design predates the IH originally, just took a while to "release" ;)

GoldenBud

Also technically the GTR design predates the IH originally, just took a while to "release" ;)
yeah, the GTR heater is like.. the HI's heater with wings of stainless mesh?
Angel Flying GIF by Richie Brown

Oil420FL

The iheat is 18mm female but its not a log, its instant on demand instead of always on. It fucking rules though.
Thanks for the clarification. So the CC Zenith doesn’t have to be always on, but it can be. So it would be categorized as a log?

Oil420FL,
Reactions: GoldenBud

Shit Snacks

Thanks for the clarification. So the CC Zenith doesn’t have to be always on, but it can be. So it would be categorized as a log?

Yeah nothing has to be always on, but the Z heats up pretty quick for a log, high temp heat soak, when it is plugged in to a mod for portable running, it is still kept on because you don't want to have to heat it up, that's why you want a long cruise autofire session, but the way you hit it is still on demand style pure convection vaping like any log :tup:

GoldenBud

Does a CouchLog hit 2.5x harder than a GTR?
I don't have enough data to calculate this stuff with the equations, but I'd say that no way it hits 2.5x than the other. both kinda 10-12 volts vapes. one uses glass tube/stainless wires to store heat, the other use beads

GoldenBud,
Reactions: pomogirl
Top Bottom