• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

What’s the “healthiest” vaporizer?

narwhalsgetme

Hello! New here and somewhat new to vaping and the world of cannabis in general (started only last year and I’m 40). I use it mostly for depression and anxiety. But I have sensitive lungs (developed chronic coughing when pregnant, easily get bronchitis, easily irritated from smoking or vaping). That said, I’ve only vaped dry herb with a Pulsar APX which I just found out is not a great device and which leaves my lungs burning and me coughing for days after use. Now I’m worried I’ve done permanent damage. I have a few questions that I can’t seem to be able to find answers to in my many hours of research.
1. Which device is the least damaging to lungs with the cleanest vapor path? If there was an all glass, all convection device with precise temp control to keep it under 400, that’s what I’d want. But I can’t seem to find that.
2. How worried should I be about vaping dry herb in general? I understand fresh air is best, but am I facing a risk of lung cancer here down the line? I know it’s better than cigarettes and joints and cartridges (which I tried and gave up when the health scare happened), but how much better?
3. I recently read about mold in dry herb. How likely is this to occur in flower bought from a dispensary in California (Bay Area)? I know they test, but how stringent is it? I’m terrified of inhaling mold and pesticides.
4. I have ordered two devices. The Tinymight and the Dynavap titanium XL. I also looked at the Tetra P80 but that’s not in production right now. Would you say these two are clean as can be for a vaporizer?
5. Are the materials in the Tinymight truly safe and won’t off-gas? Is the vapor/air path totally separated from the electronics? I know it’s an artisan operation and I’m concerned it hasn’t been tested enough and may be made of unsafe materials that could leach into the vapor. Also, Is there a way to tell what temperature each number is on the analog dial so I can keep it under 400F?
6. Are the titanium and stainless steel in the Dynavap Omnivap XL safe to breathe in at high temps?
7. Is the Omnivap all convection? Or is there combustion involved? I’m very confused about this part.
8. If these are truly safe devices, which one should I keep? Which one is “safest”?
9. should I consider a completely different device? I don’t want any plastic or subpar metal. I wish I could get no metal and all glass, as I’ve stated.
10. Am I just too paranoid and should stop cannabis all together?

As you can tell, I have quite a bit of health anxiety, so any detailed advice truly helps! If you’ve read this far, thank you!

P.S. These are the devices/brands I have crossed off my list so far for various reasons:
Arizer

Mighty

Nomad

Splinter

Potv one

Elev8r

Milaana

Da Buddha

Silver surfer SSV

Light saber

Vapolution

G43

Bender w9 tech

Herbalizer

E Nano

Flowerpot

Fury edge

TommyDee

Vaporitor
For clean vape, stick with Dynavap. They are simple and there are simply no other materials in the vape path. Use water for temperature control.

My other vape is a Magic Flight Launch box and I can say it is a fun vape but I also like it because it has a very specific mesh things can go through. If particulate matter has you concerned, this little box is nice for a conduction vape. I also recommend using their power adapter as their batteries suck rocks. I use this vape for flavor and sessions. DynaVap is for medicating. SS and Ti are both considered safe vape materials.

I have reservations at the moment on the TM. I need to see one more element. This would only be an issue at very elevated temps. The maker did well to minimize circuit board exposure. I still need to see these 'support rods' that are within the heater element on a good quality image focused before I can be convinced to let my hard earned money go there.

I'm like you. I like to know what possible damage I am doing. I know I am better off not smoking but vaping is taking in a whole lot more plant matter in its vaporized form. Your cilia has to express that which tissue doesn't absorb. There are limits to what I'll put the cilia through which includes killing them with toxins.

narwhalsgetme

For clean vape, stick with Dynavap. They are simple and there are simply no other materials in the vape path. Use water for temperature control.

My other vape is a Magic Flight Launch box and I can say it is a fun vape but I also like it because it has a very specific mesh things can go through. If particulate matter has you concerned, this little box is nice for a conduction vape. I also recommend using their power adapter as their batteries suck rocks. I use this vape for flavor and sessions. DynaVap is for medicating. SS and Ti are both considered safe vape materials.

I have reservations at the moment on the TM. I need to see one more element. This would only be an issue at very elevated temps. The maker did well to minimize circuit board exposure. I still need to see these 'support rods' that are within the heater element on a good quality image focused before I can be convinced to let my hard earned money go there.

I'm like you. I like to know what possible damage I am doing. I know I am better off not smoking but vaping is taking in a whole lot more plant matter in its vaporized form. Your cilia has to express that which tissue doesn't absorb. There are limits to what I'll put the cilia through which includes killing them with toxins.

Thank you so much for your reply! I’ve never used water (I’m such a noob!). Would it be easy to learn with the dynavap? And do you happen to know if it’s combustion or true convection for the Omnivap? I’m so confused by the fact that you light it with a torch.

Thanks for the note about the Tinymight! I was really on the fence but I think I’m going to cancel my order as I don’t feel confident enough with that decision.

I’ve also looked at the Vape Xhale Cloud EVO, which seems to be very clean. But I can’t find it in stock anywhere so I’m not sure if they’re still being made. Have you had experience with that?

And, yes I agree on the toxins. I just want to do the least possible damage and have the least possible chance of health issues in the future.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Others will certainly weigh in with expert knowledge on the other devices. The TM is a favored vape for temp control and other great features. As you inquired, I wanted to be up front with where I am on TM. Others will cal me an alarmist but knowledge is attainable in this question. A simple email to the maker should do it. I just have never been one to bother makers. That is why we have forums isn't it?

DynaVap is a study. But real quick, you get Titanium and stainless option. Most popular starter is the M. For your profile, you will like the '20-M on a budget buy. The more sophisticated Omni features a fixed air bleed adjustment in the mouthpiece. You twist the mouthpiece and an internal gap changes the ratio of air to vape. That is the premium you are paying for. If all you use the air bleed hole in the body for is to clear the stem, the Omni may be overkill. If you like sessions and tuning the vape, then Omni may just hit the spot. Dynavape also has a huge 3rd party following from alternative heaters to really cool stems. You can buy just pieces from DynaVap and build your own.

Dynavap is a cross between convection and conduction. One does not draw while using the torch. It is used only to heat the cap and chamber for the bake; -then- you draw.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
As Tommy stated, you can always ask the Tinymight maker about the materials used. I'm owning the TM for a few months now and haven't found any problems there – I might not be as cautious as you, but I'm trying to be mindful too; I consider the TM to be very safe and I don't think you'll find reports in the (very long) Tinymight thread about off gassing or the like.

I'm a *huge* fan of the Dynavaps and would recommend them to pretty much anyone who is not afraid of torches. One thing though: there have been many reports about issues with machining residues on their devices and I have seen those myself. I recommend to give your first DV a *very deep* cleaning with isopropyl alcohol before first usage. This is *not* meant to scare you, just to point it out. Once they are cleaned they offer a very pure and simple vapor experience without the need to think about unsafe materials or circuit boards.

„Combustion“ has nothing to do with „conduction“. Conduction and convection are the two ways of heating your herb while combustion (burning) is what we all try to avoid. The Mighty would be an example for a (mostly) conduction device, it simply means heat conducting from the walls of the chamber into / through the herb to heat it up. Pretty much like a small oven. The Tinymight as a convection vape will rather make you push hot air through your herb while you draw. Both heating methods have their fans. The Dynavaps are hybrids (both convection & conduction).

It's not easy to give advice about vaping to someone who has asthma, chronic coughing and apparently a tendency to a sensitive respiratory system. I don't know where you live, but if I were you I'd do some medical research specifically referring to your symptoms and if possible ask a doctor about it. Not because of possible unsafe materials in the devices (most of them are actually very safe, some of them are even medically approved) but about stressing your lungs with vapor at all. I'm not sure I would recommend the Tinymight to you, it's quite a hard hitting vape (that's what it's loved for).

However, vaping in general is much better for your lungs than smoking → https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4456813/

Last edited:

habitat-fc

Hello! New here and somewhat new to vaping and the world of cannabis in general (started only last year and I’m 40). I use it mostly for depression and anxiety. But I have sensitive lungs (developed chronic coughing when pregnant, easily get bronchitis, easily irritated from smoking or vaping). That said, I’ve only vaped dry herb with a Pulsar APX which I just found out is not a great device and which leaves my lungs burning and me coughing for days after use. Now I’m worried I’ve done permanent damage. I have a few questions that I can’t seem to be able to find answers to in my many hours of research.
1. Which device is the least damaging to lungs with the cleanest vapor path? If there was an all glass, all convection device with precise temp control to keep it under 400, that’s what I’d want. But I can’t seem to find that.
2. How worried should I be about vaping dry herb in general? I understand fresh air is best, but am I facing a risk of lung cancer here down the line? I know it’s better than cigarettes and joints and cartridges (which I tried and gave up when the health scare happened), but how much better?
3. I recently read about mold in dry herb. How likely is this to occur in flower bought from a dispensary in California (Bay Area)? I know they test, but how stringent is it? I’m terrified of inhaling mold and pesticides.
4. I have ordered two devices. The Tinymight and the Dynavap titanium XL. I also looked at the Tetra P80 but that’s not in production right now. Would you say these two are clean as can be for a vaporizer?
5. Are the materials in the Tinymight truly safe and won’t off-gas? Is the vapor/air path totally separated from the electronics? I know it’s an artisan operation and I’m concerned it hasn’t been tested enough and may be made of unsafe materials that could leach into the vapor. Also, Is there a way to tell what temperature each number is on the analog dial so I can keep it under 400F?
6. Are the titanium and stainless steel in the Dynavap Omnivap XL safe to breathe in at high temps?
7. Is the Omnivap all convection? Or is there combustion involved? I’m very confused about this part.
8. If these are truly safe devices, which one should I keep? Which one is “safest”?
9. should I consider a completely different device? I don’t want any plastic or subpar metal. I wish I could get no metal and all glass, as I’ve stated.

As you can tell, I have quite a bit of health anxiety, so any detailed advice truly helps! If you’ve read this far, thank you!

P.S. These are the devices/brands I have crossed off my list so far for various reasons:
Arizer

Mighty

Nomad

Splinter

Potv one

Elev8r

Milaana

Da Buddha

Silver surfer SSV

Light saber

Vapolution

G43

Bender w9 tech

Herbalizer

E Nano

Flowerpot

Fury edge

I recommend the Vapexhale Cloud EVO or a Vriptech Heating wand, these are as clean as vaporizers get (Glass Heating). The Vapcap is OK I suppose but it has low vapor quality compared with the EVO IMO.

scy123

Trusted Member Don't Worry
Have you thought about oral ingestion? Pure THC distillate can usually be bought cheaper than flower and distillate is already activated. You can buy distillate and eat it straight with no prep and get high.

I also recommend a large ice bong. You fill the bong with ice and it will cool down the vapor. With a bong you are really only inhaling the vapor for a fraction of a second also, the remaining time is use to load the bong with vapor. I found short hits are easier on the throat then drawn out ones.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Have you considered switching to solventless concentrates instead? If you want a fast pass to smooth vapor and truly desire an all glass vapor path you should consider the switch to rosin. Unlike the dry herb scene, an all glass vapor path is the defacto standard for vaporizing concentrates, and can be had for as low as $8. Of course if you add a rosin press and an e-nail that price goes up, but the point remains one can get into smooth pure vapor on the absolute bare minimum with concentrates.

As far as flower vapes, well I had to build my own vaporizer to accomplish the safety goals you seek. Even some of the alleged "medical grade vapes" used to cause convection wear & tear on my throat. I don't experience any of that with my own design.

IMHO a dab of full melt hash off a sapphire insert in a temperature controlled e-nail is the absolute best vapor experience possible. If you're extremely health conscious of your vapor, that's what I would suggest.

C No Ego

Arizer

Mighty

Nomad

Splinter

Potv one

Elev8r

Milaana

Da Buddha

Silver surfer SSV

Light saber

Vapolution

G43

Bender w9 tech

Herbalizer

E Nano

Flowerpot

Fury edge

not sure why Fury Edge is on that list = stainless steel isolated pathways for clean air to enter to then be heated by an isolated stainless steel heater coil in that isolated air path... leads into a stainless herb chamber .. my set up with that vape is all glass WPA ( water pipe adapter) insert to be heated by that isolated pathway ETC .... very clean tasting vapor and no toxic off gassing form internal electronics ETC....

C No Ego,
Reactions: vapirtoo

narwhalsgetme

Others will certainly weigh in with expert knowledge on the other devices. The TM is a favored vape for temp control and other great features. As you inquired, I wanted to be up front with where I am on TM. Others will cal me an alarmist but knowledge is attainable in this question. A simple email to the maker should do it. I just have never been one to bother makers. That is why we have forums isn't it?

DynaVap is a study. But real quick, you get Titanium and stainless option. Most popular starter is the M. For your profile, you will like the '20-M on a budget buy. The more sophisticated Omni features a fixed air bleed adjustment in the mouthpiece. You twist the mouthpiece and an internal gap changes the ratio of air to vape. That is the premium you are paying for. If all you use the air bleed hole in the body for is to clear the stem, the Omni may be overkill. If you like sessions and tuning the vape, then Omni may just hit the spot. Dynavape also has a huge 3rd party following from alternative heaters to really cool stems. You can buy just pieces from DynaVap and build your own.

Dynavap is a cross between convection and conduction. One does not draw while using the torch. It is used only to heat the cap and chamber for the bake; -then- you draw.

Thank you for the explanation of the dynavap! Yes, maybe I’ll just chat with the TM maker to get some more info on it.

narwhalsgetme,

narwhalsgetme

As Tommy stated, you can always ask the Tinymight maker about the materials used. I'm owning the TM for a few months now and haven't found any problems there – I might not be as cautious as you, but I'm trying to be mindful too; I consider the TM to be very safe and I don't think you'll find reports in the (very long) Tinymight thread about off gassing or the like.

I'm a *huge* fan of the Dynavaps and would recommend them to pretty much anyone who is not afraid of torches. One thing though: there have been many reports about issues with machining residues on their devices and I have seen those myself. I recommend to give your first DV a *very deep* cleaning with isopropyl alcohol before first usage. This is *not* meant to scare you, just to point it out. Once they are cleaned they offer a very pure and simple vapor experience without the need to think about unsafe materials or circuit boards.

„Combustion“ has nothing to do with „conduction“. Conduction and convection are the two ways of heating your herb while combustion (burning) is what we all try to avoid. The Mighty would be an example for a (mostly) conduction device, it simply means heat conducting from the walls of the chamber into / through the herb to heat it up. Pretty much like a small oven. The Tinymight as a convection vape will rather make you push hot air through your herb while you draw. Both heating methods have their fans. The Dynavaps are hybrids (both convection & conduction).

It's not easy to give advice about vaping to someone who has asthma, chronic coughing and apparently a tendency to a sensitive respiratory system. I don't know where you live, but if I were you I'd do some medical research specifically referring to your symptoms and if possible ask a doctor about it. Not because of possible unsafe materials in the devices (most of them are actually very safe, some of them are even medically approved) but about stressing your lungs with vapor at all. I'm not sure I would recommend the Tinymight to you, it's quite a hard hitting vape (that's what it's loved for).

However, vaping in general is much better for your lungs than smoking → https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4456813/

Thanks so much for the explanation. I’ve been associating conduction with combustion because I know conduction makes it more likely. And good to know about cleaning the dynavap!

As for the health issues, I don’t have actual asthma and I should have specified my “chronic” cough was just through pregnancies and don’t experience that anymore. That said, yes I may have sensitive lungs and you’re right. I should maybe talk to a pulmonologist.

I’m also going to check out the TM thread. Thanks for that suggestion! And for taking the time to respond!! Very much appreciated!!

narwhalsgetme,

narwhalsgetme

Have you thought about oral ingestion? Pure THC distillate can usually be bought cheaper than flower and distillate is already activated. You can buy distillate and eat it straight with no prep and get high.

I also recommend a large ice bong. You fill the bong with ice and it will cool down the vapor. With a bong you are really only inhaling the vapor for a fraction of a second also, the remaining time is use to load the bong with vapor. I found short hits are easier on the throat then drawn out ones.

I don’t know much about distillate. Edibles make me feel awful, heavy and super out-of-it, plus I hate that I don’t know when they’ll hit me or how strong. But maybe that’s not the case with distillate? I’ll certainly look into it.

I’m so new at all this that I know nothing about bongs. But I’ll check out your suggestions for the ice bong as well! Thank you!

narwhalsgetme,
Reactions: vapirtoo

narwhalsgetme

not sure why Fury Edge is on that list = stainless steel isolated pathways for clean air to enter to then be heated by an isolated stainless steel heater coil in that isolated air path... leads into a stainless herb chamber .. my set up with that vape is all glass WPA ( water pipe adapter) insert to be heated by that isolated pathway ETC .... very clean tasting vapor and no toxic off gassing form internal electronics ETC....

I thought it was mostly conduction and was looking for mostly convection devices. I’m even questioning the dynavap I just bought fir the same reason. But I’ll take a closer look at the Fury Edge. Thanks!

narwhalsgetme,
Reactions: C No Ego

narwhalsgetme

Have you considered switching to solventless concentrates instead? If you want a fast pass to smooth vapor and truly desire an all glass vapor path you should consider the switch to rosin. Unlike the dry herb scene, an all glass vapor path is the defacto standard for vaporizing concentrates, and can be had for as low as $8. Of course if you add a rosin press and an e-nail that price goes up, but the point remains one can get into smooth pure vapor on the absolute bare minimum with concentrates.

As far as flower vapes, well I had to build my own vaporizer to accomplish the safety goals you seek. Even some of the alleged "medical grade vapes" used to cause convection wear & tear on my throat. I don't experience any of that with my own design.

IMHO a dab of full melt hash off a sapphire insert in a temperature controlled e-nail is the absolute best vapor experience possible. If you're extremely health conscious of your vapor, that's what I would suggest.

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll be honest, I’m not nearly knowledgeable enough to understand your set-up, but I’ll do my research for sure! It’s quite a learning curve for a newbie, but if it’s a healthier option, I’m glad to study up!

narwhalsgetme,

scy123

Trusted Member Don't Worry
Yea edibles will usually fuck you up pretty good. I never tried low dose though usually when I eat it I eat a lot of it.

Distillate is a lot easier to dose then edibles though. They usually come in syringes and is around 98%+ pure so, it's easy to figure out how much thc you are getting.

scy123,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
As for the health issues, I don’t have actual asthma and I should have specified my “chronic” cough was just through pregnancies and don’t experience that anymore. That said, yes I may have sensitive lungs and you’re right. I should maybe talk to a pulmonologist.

Ah okay. I just wanted to make sure that you don't get advice that would make things worse or even actually chronic.

Most vaporizers will allow you to vary the temperature in one way or another. Starting low is always a good idea anyways – using water filtration can be *very* helpful to make things smoother, but I hesitate to recommend that to beginners, as it involves knowing what kind of setup one actually would prefer. But it's still a very good option if you feel the need for it.

Siebter,

narwhalsgetme

Yea edibles will usually fuck you up pretty good. I never tried low dose though usually when I eat it I eat a lot of it.

Distillate is a lot easier to dose then edibles though. They usually come in syringes and is around 98%+ pure so, it's easy to figure out how much thc you are getting.

Ah gotcha. I’ll definitely look into that option then!

narwhalsgetme,

narwhalsgetme

Ah okay. I just wanted to make sure that you don't get advice that would make things worse or even actually chronic.

Most vaporizers will allow you to vary the temperature in one way or another. Starting low is always a good idea anyways – using water filtration can be *very* helpful to make things smoother, but I hesitate to recommend that to beginners, as it involves knowing what kind of setup one actually would prefer. But it's still a very good option if you feel the need for it.

Thanks for the concern! :) I’ll start studying up on water filtration. It’s all a little overwhelming but always happy to learn! Thanks so much for all the advice!!

narwhalsgetme,
Reactions: Siebter

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Water is pretty simple these days. Question is normally how you want to interact with your sessions. Some are elaborate and others have a rig in the corner for when it is needed.
Bottom line it is still the basis of a good 'ol bong. Very fancy glass works. And countless ways to part-take of your favorite medicine.
You will see references to fittings, there will be 10, 14, and 19 as basic sizes. My glass bong for instance uses a 19mm mating stem, and a 14mm mating bowl. In the parlance of vape, there are also smaller fittings in the 10mm range. This, and male/female designations is how you put together you glass.

Mr. Lahey

If you don't mind me asking, why have you excluded the Elev8r and Da Buddah?

I've been thinking of another purchase (Da Buddah for 5-6 years, still on my original unit and love it; lost pax 2) and was going to comment that 7th Floor probably makes the best products - Ceramic, Glass, and Isolated Airpaths from the top of units.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@Ramahs - thanks for the clarification.

The full list;
Conical_Joint_Sizes.JPG

This the result -
49291506891_eb51fe2a74.jpg

Last edited:
TommyDee,

narwhalsgetme

If you don't mind me asking, why have you excluded the Elev8r and Da Buddah?

I've been thinking of another purchase (Da Buddah for 5-6 years, still on my original unit and love it; lost pax 2) and was going to comment that 7th Floor probably makes the best products - Ceramic, Glass, and Isolated Airpaths from the top of units.

From what I read, you can’t set it to a specific temp and that concerned me, but maybe I need to forget about that because I’ve seen it recommended elsewhere. Or maybe I’m misunderstanding something? It does have “foreign” parts, but I’m not sure where from or if that’s an issue. I should probably revisit it.

narwhalsgetme,

narwhalsgetme

Water is pretty simple these days. Question is normally how you want to interact with your sessions. Some are elaborate and others have a rig in the corner for when it is needed.
Bottom line it is still the basis of a good 'ol bong. Very fancy glass works. And countless ways to part-take of your favorite medicine.
You will see references to fittings, there will be 10, 14, and 19 as basic sizes. My glass bong for instance uses a 19mm mating stem, and a 14mm mating bowl. In the parlance of vape, there are also smaller fittings in the 10mm range. This, and male/female designations is how you put together you glass.

Thank you! I’m going to start figuring all this out. I feel like i need a glossary sometimes! :lol:

narwhalsgetme,
Reactions: C No Ego
Top Bottom