Multi-brand Vivant Alternate

mash

Me again! Anyone else having trouble getting on the vivant site? I wanna upgrade the firmware, this timer is way annoying -.- tried last night and today, thought it was my laptop being a piece of shit but can't access it on my phone either?

I just downloaded both Win and Mac version with my phone..... all seems good

https://vivant.store/pages/firmware-update

sickmanfraud

Me again! Anyone else having trouble getting on the vivant site? I wanna upgrade the firmware, this timer is way annoying -.- tried last night and today, thought it was my laptop being a piece of shit but can't access it on my phone either?

Make sure your computer has a USB 3 port.

sickmanfraud,

Vambo1980

Hi Everyone,
I bit the bullet and brought one of these last week direct from Vivant.

So I've used the unit about 12 times since new and already I've had the mouth price break. After the first 4-5 sessions I noticed cracks (see pics) then this morning I decided to give it a clean out but it fell apart in my hands.

To confirm I have the NEW mouth peice..looks like I'll be making use of a spare crafty unit and getting the dremmel out like the rest of you..

Hope this issue can be resolved otherwise it's a bit of a let down..
SsXujMK.jpg

FfJcfUO.jpg

i0j6EGZ.jpg

HengefulOne

Hi Everyone,

So I've used the unit about 12 times since new and already I've had the mouth price break. After the first 4-5 sessions I noticed cracks (see pics) then this morning I decided to give it a clean out but it fell apart in my hands.

To confirm I have the NEW mouth peice..looks like I'll be making use of a spare crafty unit and getting the dremmel out like the rest of you..

SsXujMK.jpg

FfJcfUO.jpg

i0j6EGZ.jpg
Ruh Roh... Hope this isn't a trend

HengefulOne,
Reactions: Vambo1980

mash

Hi Everyone,

SsXujMK.jpg

FfJcfUO.jpg

i0j6EGZ.jpg

Yikes :o

slang

My second (NEWLY REVAMPED) cap has 4 perimeter cracks around the outer ring and will not hit anymore. It's leaking air now around the rim. It's only been used maybe 6 times since getting the replacement cap direct from Vivant last week.

I never exceeded 410 degrees but I did run it through the full 5 minute cycle as needed. I've never cleaned or disassembled the topcap yet. It's hardly even dirty; just cracked in multiple places?

I purchased two of these units a month ago, one from PuffItUp, the other direct from Vivant. All three original topcaps melted almost immediately so I've only used them a few times each.

What do I do now? I'm thinking RETURN ?? @Vivant I haven't even received my replacement topcap from PIU yet? @PuffItUp ?

I'm not very good with uploading pictures, but I expect that won't be a problem. There'll be enough rolling through here soon enough...

I forgot to add.... I just ordered a spare topcap direct from Vivant yesterday for 17.**, just hours before my NEW topcap cracked. I was forced to purchase something to get a replacement "GREEN STIRRER" that was missing from the original unit... thanks again @Vivant

Last edited:

Meach

Hopefully this is just isolated incidents..feel bad for you guys honestly..I was/am close to buying an alternate..hoping this all gets sorted out..so far vivant has been keeping there word on fixing issues and addressing problems..just gonna give them the benefit of the doubt again and patiently wait to hear if the new tops have issues too..on the bright side the I've waited this long so now my wife can buy this as a fathers day gift for me TBH I wouldn't made making a craftynate but I don't have a dremmel handy and even sanding it down seems tedious

BaroneBarra

Might be too early to jump to conclusions, but it seems that what someone said when the first cooling units were cracking was spot on... the problem wouldn't be the material, but rather the shape of the CU and the stressing lines insisting on the same part when you open and close it.

So, if @Vivant revamped the cap only worrying about heat (metal ring, new more heat-resisten material) and not about the structure of the CU, the problem would just remain.

But I understand I'm reaching, let's wait for their contribution.

on the bright side the I've waited this long so now my wife can buy this as a fathers day gift for me

Now that would be a nice gift to riceive :)

:peace:

mash

I bought 3 crafty CU.....and sanded them down in one night......wasnt really that hard ....I wish I had a dremel......but all honesty.....it wasnt very difficult.....just got to take your time...and test it on the alternate frequently so you get the right fit.

Trimming the tabs was probably the most difficult....and sanding them a bit.

I used the arizer dome screen and been using it every night and its been a champ.

Cooler too because of the space between the cap and the body....

Im sorry these "new caps" are cracking now.....hopefully its just a batch problem again ....

slang

Might be too early to jump to conclusions, but it seems that what someone said when the first cooling units were cracking was spot on... the problem wouldn't be the material, but rather the shape of the CU and the stressing lines insisting on the same part when you open and close it.

So, if @Vivant revamped the cap only worrying about heat (metal ring, new more heat-resisten material) and not about the structure of the CU, the problem would just remain.

I believe someone is correct about stating the cooling unit shape and design being wrong. I have worked in plastic injection molding before, and I can see visible stress cracks on all four of the topcaps I own right in front of me. All four display stress cracks around the front outer edge above the bowl. These stress marks existed when NEW and prior to being used. This is either a poor product/molding design, or merely an improper press setup (temperature, door and cooling timing, etc.)

Vambo1980

I'm no plastics expert.. But believe it is the problem. If the top cap was made from exactly the same material as the crafty mp I think it would hold up. The heat is making it brittle. The part of the cap that has not been subjected to as much heat is more flexible. The parts closer to the heat source appear brittle. Looking at the design I see numerous places where the walls are thin also so it's a combination of issues in my opinion.

Vambo1980,

purplegreen

@BaroneBarra my CU/TC (cooling unit/top cap) were both the 1st generation aka not redesigned BUT one CU has that number 1 inprint and the other one had number 2 on it. when i got the deal during the 4/20 the included extra cooling unit, needless to say yesterday the one with number 2 cracked through but did not fall apart... both of them actually cracked in the same spots on sides.

i'll post pics when i get home for science reasons :)

BaroneBarra

@BaroneBarra my CU/TC (cooling unit/top cap) were both the 1st generation aka not redesigned BUT one CU has that number 1 inprint and the other one had number 2 on it. when i got the deal during the 4/20 the included extra cooling unit, needless to say yesterday the one with number 2 cracked through but did not fall apart... both of them actually cracked in the same spots on sides.

i'll post pics when i get home for science reasons :)

We discovered it a few pages back: the number below the CU unit means nothing, what you have to check is the presence of the metal ring that goes above the heater.

Metal ring (as the one posted by @Vambo1980) = 2nd new generation
Plastic ring = 1st faulty generation

BaroneBarra,
Reactions: DarkSm0ke

Vivant

Manufacturer
Hey Gwen,
I was wondering, I got my Alternate from PIU and am having some issues getting a new version replacement top and was wondering if I could get one from you guys. I'm just asking because PIU told me they are still weeks out. Thanks a ton! Have a wonderful day.

Hey @Baked-not-fried, please bear with us, we are still awaiting the larger shipment of the new top caps from our factory. Once we receive the larger shipment in late May, we and all of our Authorized Resellers will have access to a greater inventory. Until then, our hands are a bit tied, so we must prioritize our orders to those who are currently having issues with their top caps. If you are, please contact support@vivant.com so I can see if I can help you. :)

Got it through vapefiend, sent them an email, they apologised and have now sent out a new one (: I've been having a play with it, is getting a new battery like pretty much a necessity? Seems to not hold much charge at all but like I say I am totally new to all this so haven't a clue :/
That's cool they are sending you the new cap...... The battery issue is weird..... I noticed mine yesterday drain quick.... but it was the sony one that came with it..... the LG Hg2 ones I've used.... seems like it didn't happen... or i didnt notice...... I have few extras so it's not a big issue for me..... I would recommend buying extra battery and a charger...

Hey @Drummeryjam and @mash. In practice, the included Sony VTC 4 18650 does not have a very long battery life in the Alternate. The average life is four 2-minute sessions at 385 F, which can be shorter if you use it at a higher temperature for a longer time. There have been a select amount of cases where the battery appeared to die very quickly without use, but we at Vivant have been having trouble replicating the issue. If you have seen this, feel free to contact us with more details so we will better be able to look into it.

Hi Everyone,

My second (NEWLY REVAMPED) cap has 4 perimeter cracks around the outer ring and will not hit anymore. It's leaking air now around the rim. It's only been used maybe 6 times since getting the replacement cap direct from Vivant last week.

I never exceeded 410 degrees but I did run it through the full 5 minute cycle as needed. I've never cleaned or disassembled the topcap yet. It's hardly even dirty; just cracked in multiple places?

I purchased two of these units a month ago, one from PuffItUp, the other direct from Vivant. All three original topcaps melted almost immediately so I've only used them a few times each.

What do I do now? I'm thinking RETURN ?? @Vivant I haven't even received my replacement topcap from PIU yet? @PuffItUp ?

I'm not very good with uploading pictures, but I expect that won't be a problem. There'll be enough rolling through here soon enough...

I forgot to add.... I just ordered a spare topcap direct from Vivant yesterday for 17.**, just hours before my NEW topcap cracked. I was forced to purchase something to get a replacement "GREEN STIRRER" that was missing from the original unit... thanks again @Vivant

Hey @Vambo1980 and @slang, I'm sorry to hear about what has happened. I have contacted you each individually in order to get more information and to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

Thank you all for your continued interest. Please feel free to DM or email us at any time if you would like to ask a question directly. :)
- Gwen

ohmygodimsohigh

Man that sucks that some new tops are cracking.
For what it's worth, I tested mine at extreme levels and haven't had any issues.

I'll definitely keep testing now, though.

EDIT: Just checked, mine is cracked too. It was even cracked a couple of days ago and shows up in a video I recently shot. I just didn't notice because performance hasn't been affected (yet).
That is disappointing.

Last edited:

Vivant

Manufacturer
Hey FC Community,

Due to work we have been performing on our website, the links we provided in our statement on page 46 no longer work. You can reach the top cap public statement here and the PAES BASF data sheet here.

@vtac, I would like to ask you to update the original statement with the new links if you think it is necessary.

Thank you all. :)
-Gwen

Modnote: Links updated per request

Last edited by a moderator:

blackstone

Man that sucks that some new tops are cracking.
For what it's worth, I tested mine at extreme levels and haven't had any issues.

I'll definitely keep testing now, though.

EDIT: Just checked, mine is cracked too. It was even cracked a couple of days ago and shows up in a video I recently shot. I just didn't notice because performance hasn't been affected (yet).
That is disappointing.

I just wanted to say, take care man!
Nobody is forcing you to do this with your own lungs etc!
Are they...?

Top Bottom